Thoughts On The Garmin GPSMAP 60Cs?

I am buying a Garmin GPSMAP 60Cs. Is this a good unit to buy? I have heard many good things about it. I have also heard it is a great unit for caching. Please post your opinions, and experiences with this unit!

I don't think you can go wrong with it. I have a 60 CSx and love it. The MicroSD card slot in the (x) is a definite plus.

I've had one since it first came out. It's a nice unit. Depends on what your paying for it but it is as good for the most part as the X. True the X get's better signal but only because it uses weak signals. Signals from Sat's that arent in a good position. So your accuracy if way off. That's the pro for the x. You won't loose the fix at all. But you will be off on the map. The 60CS will only use good signals to give a good fix. If it doesn't get them it will stop navigateing.

I use a small 1/2 dollar size antenna with mine from GPS Geek on Ebay that cost's $20 and I've never lost a signal under heavy tree cover in the mountains. Never. I've climbed all the highest mountains in NH. This antenna does a good job period. I have one in my truck too as it gives better map accuracy in citys,etc then my Street Pilot useing it's own antenna threw the windshield.

I use this CS on my Snowmobile and Hiking.

If you get a good deal buy it. I had a new X that I resold as I didn't need signals that were weak for the extra money. I was waiting for the Colorado but I'm going to pass on that as I see lot's of issues and problems. And it doesn't do as much as the CX or X. Especiallly the highlighted track which I need for my old eyes. :blink:

I am buying a Garmin GPSMAP 60Cs. Is this a good unit to buy? I have heard many good things about it. I have also heard it is a great unit for caching. Please post your opinions, and experiences with this unit!

I have a 76CS which is essentially the same unit with a different shape. The one drawback not mentioned is the limited map memory of the built-in memory of the 60CS vs. the microSD memory of the 60CSx. If you don't need more memory for maps than the built-in memory (56K, I believe), then you will be happy with the unit.

I have been using the 60Cx for a couple years and it is outstanding. Never had a problem, and I have never lost satellite reception even in the deepest of ravines in the darkest of woods. It even works inside the house.

One of the downsides of the 60CSx version is shorter battery life. I believe all the "S" gives you is an altimeter and a compass. Personally, I would avoid the "S" but be sure to get the "x".

I am paying 175.00, is that a good buy or should I try to go lower? Also, Is this unit better than a Magellan eXplorist 500le? My friend has one he lets me use from time to time, and I was wondering if A Garmin GPSMAP 60Cs is better. I am also buying the afformentioned "Glisson Antenna" to boost the signal reception of the unit, please take this into consideration when evaluating the signal quality.

Edited by ethanbl

I've had the 60CS since it came out and have put about 5000 or so off-road cycling miles on it. Never had much of a problem with signal, but then I live in the desert (2500 of those miles were along the Great Divide Route, though).

If you can live without the "X" (Sirf chip and expandable memory) it's a great unit for $175.

Before you pay $175 for a 60CS, you should take a look at the newer units with the High Sensitivity receiver. Those are designated with the 'H' in the name.

You can get a Legend HCx for almost that same price and will then have the High Sensitivity receiver, as well as the expandable memory. The newer 'H' units will work much better than the older 60CS under trees or in canyons.

I personally think the 60 CSx I use the the best gps on the market at this time.

My husband has a 60 CS which he uses on a daily basis for work and for geocaching. While he does like his unit, he constantly complains that my unit is more accurate than his at getting us to the caches.

If I had to buy something other than the 60 CSx, it would likely be one of the HCx units--either the Legend HCx or the Vista HCx. (I think the only difference is the Vista has the electronic compass/altimeter. You can compare them here). They do offer most of the features of the 60 CSx model at a lower price. You could use the savings toward the purchase of the city maps you need to make the unit able to autoroute.

As for battery life, you can turn off the electronic compass if you prefer.

I personally think the 60 CSx I use the the best gps on the market at this time.

My husband has a 60 CS which he uses on a daily basis for work and for geocaching. While he does like his unit, he constantly complains that my unit is more accurate than his at getting us to the caches.

If I had to buy something other than the 60 CSx, it would likely be one of the HCx units--either the Legend HCx or the Vista HCx. (I think the only difference is the Vista has the electronic compass/altimeter. You can compare them here). They do offer most of the features of the 60 CSx model at a lower price. You could use the savings toward the purchase of the city maps you need to make the unit able to autoroute.

As for battery life, you can turn off the electronic compass if you prefer.

for what its worth. I have had my csx60 for about 3 week and I LOVE it . It was easy to operate and the two time I have been casheing it has put me ontop of the cashe

I am paying 175.00, is that a good buy or should I try to go lower? Also, Is this unit better than a Magellan eXplorist 500le? My friend has one he lets me use from time to time, and I was wondering if A Garmin GPSMAP 60Cs is better. I am also buying the afformentioned "Glisson Antenna" to boost the signal reception of the unit, please take this into consideration when evaluating the signal quality.

Check ebay.. for going prices on used stuff.

If it's clean then it might be a good price. Gilsson makes good antennas. you may not need one. But if you do you can mount it on you day pack top or on your hat like some do...Nice thing about the antenna I leave it inside my Garmin Nylon case zipped up so it keeps warmer during cold days below 10deg. F snowshoeing. Or you can keep it in your pocket.

Well, the unit arrived today, and I'm already having trouble with the 56k memory limitations. I am only having this problem because I want to load two different areas (My hometown, and Baltimore) because I am going caching in Baltimore soon. I decided to just load the two areas seperatley.

I don't think you can go wrong with it. I have a 60 CSx and love it. The MicroSD card slot in the (x) is a definite plus.

im thinking of buying this unit. does it do paperless? does it include the hints and stuff and info about the cache?

:o I used a Magellan 500LE and after about one month I upgraded to Garmin 60csx. I wouldn't trade my garmin for anything. After loading the icons for caching its absolutly perfect. I would recomend the 60csx to anybody. I also use my IPOD for paperless caching and the two combined makes a perfect combination. Edited by ShadowCachers