eTrex Legend?

Hi,

And thank you for visiting my post.

I am fairly new to the sport, and my birthday is coming up, I am turning 12 and I wanted to know if the Etrex Legend is right for me. If you have one would you tell me the good and the bads? I do not want any advice for other GPS's to buy. I just want to know about the eTrex Legend.

Thanks

-GeoShif :blink:

Edited by GeoShif

I started out with the Legend. Excellent battery life; easy to use; and it takes the Garmin maps if you have them. Connection to the PC and the various programs available (GSAK, EasyGPS etc) was simple.

If you are not sure about what to set it to (map datums etc) then just ask here!

It's a good GPS to use - have fun with it and get caching!

Chris

Hi,

And thank you for visiting my post.

I am fairly new to the sport, and my birthday is coming up, I am turning 12 and I wanted to know if the Etrex Legend is right for me. If you have one would you tell me the good and the bads? I do not want any advice for other GPS's to buy. I just want to know about the eTrex Legend.

Thanks

-GeoShif :blink:

I think the Legend would serve you well. But, for a few dollars more, why not get a Summit HC. If you buy it online, e.g. OffRoute.com, you would have a high sensitivity receiver, more functionality and the unit comes with a USB cable.

That was my first unit for about a year and half, it's great for beginning. Just don't drop it then put a chair leg through the screen :blink:

I have had my legend or 5+ years. It has been a great unit. In the thick of summer when the trees are thick with leaves you may loose the signal once in a while. However, the unit works great in most all other conditions. I have a colorado now but could easily gotten by with the legend. Even with the black in white screen I could always tell where I was with the topo maps installed. I could hold about 1/2 the state of michigan on the memory with the topo. Great unit.

A word of advice, there's no point in joining a vibrant internet forum and saying, "just tell me about this thing that I know nothing about and don't tell me about anything else because I've got my fingers in my ears and I'm going 'la la la la la'."

If you want to know about the Legend then read about it on Garmin's website. It's virtually impossible for anyone to give you any meaningful answer without somehow bringing up other models. In fact it's not possible to talk about a unit in isolation.

So if you are happy take your fingers out of your ears, you will probably get some very useful advice and my well end up with a unit you will be far happier with.

</$0.02>

A word of advice, there's no point in joining a vibrant internet forum and saying, "just tell me about this thing that I know nothing about and don't tell me about anything else because I've got my fingers in my ears and I'm going 'la la la la la'."

If you want to know about the Legend then read about it on Garmin's website. It's virtually impossible for anyone to give you any meaningful answer without somehow bringing up other models. In fact it's not possible to talk about a unit in isolation.

So if you are happy take your fingers out of your ears, you will probably get some very useful advice and my well end up with a unit you will be far happier with.

</$0.02>

:blink:

Wow, thanks dad.

I've been around the block a few times and I still use my Legend. It will serve you well.

Enjoy.

The Legend is a great starter gps and the street price is down to close to $100. As long as you have a pc that can accept a serial cable interface it should work fine.

If you have a newer pc that has only a USB interface, then consider another model for about $25 more, street price. I won't tell you the name since you don't want to know it, but it has a V and an HC in it and has the USB cable, high sensitivity receiver and more memory built in.

I had a blue etrex legend and loved it for a begining gps.My only reason for getting rid of it was out of the blue one day i went to power my unit up and my display screen read "software not found"I called garmin and told them what had happened.They walked me through a few steps which didn't work so they had me send in my 5 month old unit and replaced it with a new summit hc at no charge..So i can't complain about anything garmin does.They didn't have to send me a different unit i actually expected them just to replace my legend.The summitt blows away my legend though..It has color and the high sensitive sat. and alot more options then the legend and from what i have seen online for only a few more extra dollars.If your on a budget and new into geo-caching i would suggest the summitt.

@chief_illini217

Incorrect, the best one was alluded to earlier by a female poster (who shall remain nameless), which is only $20 more than the OP's choice. The Summit will be around $80 more and is exactly the same as the other one (of which we must not speak) and is identical to the Summit but without the fluxgate compass and altimeter, two items I'll wager the OP is not interested in.