Which gps?

tested to see if alarm does work. Picked up a sat and then to set the alarm to turn the unit on 7 minutes later. It asked me if I wanted to switch off - I did and waited till 10.15pm. Did it turn on? A big Yes. And the time was right. So the alarm works so suspect the clock does not keep ticking over when it is off, unless the alarm is turned on. That is probably how the unit is made. Can't be sure but would like to know if Chris CO is at the time switched off when it is turned on next day before getting a signal. It maybe there are some quirks. Can't answer the stopwatch problem. Sure they must be linked although hard to see why that would jump when it is picking up a sat. Not that I have tried the stopwatch. As for the clock - as Chris says does it matter when it is off. No providing it does not effect the unit. And it does not effect the alarm. Although the funcion of the alarm is hard to understand. After all - why would anyone want it to turn on at a selected time? And if so. Why?

Edited by derrylynne

I have found personally that a hard reset does not cure this problem.

Neither does the beta update.

They are most definitely aware because I informed them of this problem personally.

I also informed them personally of the stopwatch mode problem as well.

Before I put up their replies on the first issue I will ring them tomorrow to make sure I did not "mishear "there answer about the clock turning off.

Much to my amazement they did say about the stopwatch losing time that they had not heard of this before. This is Garmin Support Europe so am uncertain if they are kept fully up to date on this or not.

Edited by The Hungry Caterpillars

It maybe a glitch that effects everyone although many have not noticed. If so a software update should cure this as it will work when the alarm is set to on. As you say a hard reset and the beta does not do anything. As I have done these too. Sure it will all come together in the end...

But Garmin will be getting another call from me tomorrow. Twice I have played with the alarm. And then after it has come into play and I have turned the unit off - it has froze and I have had to do a take the battery out soft reset. Not good enough. This needs sorting....

Edited by derrylynne

Actually derry I think unless you have a satellite fix the alarm may well not go off at the right time. It will actually calculate from the last satellite fix!!

I had a fix when I set the alarm. And it did turn on right on the button at the time I set 7 minutes later. But as said on my previous log I turned it off after putting the alarm off again, and it froze when I started it again. Seems to me to be a software problem not hardware. That is a good thing as it can be sorted. What we will need to do is keep informing Garmin Europe of the problems and hopefully they will let Garmin USA know so the right software update can be made. I have to agree this is something you would expect of microsoft not 'Garmin. The unit has been released with software not working as it should...

hiho9 I ave found about 150 since then but no longer log them as not interested as I used to be.

For instance today found three the last one being GC16GWS whilst counting skylarks and hoping to see some Twyte

I have other hobbies including photography and natural history which is helped by my ability to record various species etc. i of course find the ability to record where I have seen various species of both flora and fauna very handy.

You may also note that I also letterbox and in the last few years have found a few thousand some with a sighting compass map and local knowledge but also some large number with a gps the last a few weeks ago.

Have you anytjing to add hiho9?

Having some time today I decided to test for accuracy - after all no accuracy and Garmin could take it back. Using an Etrex Venture and the CO side by side on my front porch - and Google earth (as my front porch shows very well on that) the two sat side by side WAAS enabled. Because we now unofficially have the Europeon Sat working we get the 'D's all the time. But you will have to point the gps south when possible to get the best reception.

The results were quite consistant.The etrex showed anything from 14 to 23 foot accuracy with all the 'D's showing, the actual distance from co-ordinates given and where the unit were looking at Google earth. The CO on the other hand gave from within 1 foot to 8 foot from where the unit were.

What is apparent is it is very important after a hard reset - or when first bought - to allow it to be stationary collecting the data from the Sats for at least half an hour. Even if you get a lock within a few minutes it still needs to obtain all the constellation data so leave it alone to pick up the data....I did have a moan about the Manual. Call that a manual...

Edited by derrylynne

Having some time today I decided to test for accuracy - after all no accuracy and Garmin could take it back. Using an Etrex Venture and the CO side by side on my front porch - and Google earth (as my front porch shows very well on that) the two sat side by side WAAS enabled. Because we now unofficially have the Europeon Sat working we get the 'D's all the time. But you will have to point the gps south when possible to get the best reception.

The results were quite consistant.The etrex showed anything from 14 to 23 foot accuracy with all the 'D's showing, the actual distance from co-ordinates given and where the unit were looking at Google earth. The CO on the other hand gave from within 1 foot to 8 foot from where the unit were.

What is apparent is it is very important after a hard reset - or when first bought - to allow it to be stationary collecting the data from the Sats for at least half an hour. Even if you get a lock within a few minutes it still needs to obtain all the constellation data so leave it alone to pick up the data....I did have a moan about the Manual. Call that a manual...

The European WAAS (EGNOS) is operational now. The 2 or 3 satellites we can recieve here in South Wales are about 25 degrees above the horizon and are either side of South. The GPS has to download an almanac from the WAAS/EGNOS satellite which can take 20 minutes or so, then it starts correcting the normal GPS signal and the D's appear.

The WAAS/EGNOS satellites we can get are: Atlantic Ocean East (33 on the Garmin display) which is South-South West of us; Indian Ocean Region (39 on the Garmin) which is South-South East and Artemis (37 on the Garmin) which is over mid Africa and just East of South from the UK.

Chris