Which gps?

I am about to buy a new gps as my current quest keeps losing the signal. I use a tomtom to get to the trail so ordinary mapping is not needed. But I will need to use Garmin's topo. Which GPS is best? The Colorado - or - Vista HCx? Or is there something else you can recommend. It needs to be good in trees and valleys too...

The problem I have with the colorado at the moment is bad comments regarding british mapping. And what is called an 'awkward get around'. Is there any other gps that will let me go paperless with just the one unit while being able to use topo? Does Mr B have the colorado 300 or 400 Matrix?

Edited by derrylynne

... Does Mr B have the colorado 300 or 400 Matrix?

Mrs B :blink: has the Colorado 300 and likes it very much. Out in the countryside I use it in conjuntion with O.S. maps to show footpaths in detail. :lol:

MrsB :ph34r:

Just to clarify a couple of things... the OS maps MrsB refers are NOT on the Colorado.. like any Garmin unit you cannot run OS maps on them (without major work arounds)...My OS maps run on my Mio pocket PC.... However the Garmin Mapsource and Topo I have work excellently on the Colorado. I'm also certain the 300 is only one sold here as the 400 etc are available in the US with pre-loaded maps on the SD card. Happy to be corrected!

Chris - MrB

Edited by The Blorenges

... Does Mr B have the colorado 300 or 400 Matrix?

Mrs B :lol: has the Colorado 300 and likes it very much. Out in the countryside I use it in conjuntion with O.S. maps to show footpaths in detail. :ph34r:

MrsB :blink:

Ah BUT MrB knows how to use it B)

B)

The Garmin topo uk maps are no where as detailed as the OS maps. They do show contours, forests and have pretty accurate streams rivers and lakes. Some tracks are there but not footpaths as we see them on the OS. If you go to Garmin's website, click on maps and navigate to the page about the UK Topo you can view your local area and see what it looks like. For example Caldicot Country Park in our local area is crossed by a road and many footpaths (rights of way). The Topo map shows a single, short and completely isolated 'path' coming from nowhere and going nowhere!!

Re the OS maps on the Garmin. That has been done (search these forums) but its done by making an image of the OS map which then has to be calibrated and imported into the Garmin.

Chris

Edited by The Blorenges

I have had nearly three months experience with the Colorado and regardless of comments about "kicking butt" find myself less than impressed.

There are issues with this particular GPS that suggests it has been launched too quickly.

I have run a number of Garmin GPSs, First etrex yellow, then a vista followed by a 60cs and then a 60csx .

The most satisfying buy has been the 60csx, the least the Colorado.

I hope the firmware upgrades will eventually turn the Colorado into a better Geocaching tool than the 60 csx. Even with the ability to load geocaches onto the Colorado it is let down by other problems.

I have noticed a lot of gung ho reports on the Colorado that really need a dash of objectivity.

I personally suggest not buying at the moment until more firmware updates come out or at least if possible try before you buy.

Too late. I have bought one now. It seems looking at the reviews some are really happy with the colorado, some less so. It all depends what you want out of it I suppose. Myself though I am quite impressed with the colorado. Paperless caching without having to carry a pda as well as a gps are a great bonus. It picks up the satellite quickly and locks on great. With any new item there are bound to be teething trouble with the software but am sure regular updates will sort all those out...

It will be interesting to see what problems you pick as you use it more.

I have a suspicion that there is something up with the internal clock that perhaps explains part of the problem.

You can check this when you check the time before a satellite fix is obtained and also when you check the stopwatch-my stopwatch is out by about 9 mins a day or about 24secs an hour!

I am no expert on this and am unsure of the full ramifications of this.

Perhaps others can help?

Yes I did find one odd thing with the time. It can only be set in Europe for Western, Central, or Eastern Europe time and the time seemed to be wrong. Hopefully that will be sorted with a software update although having said that that does not detract from the unit seeming to be very good. It is nice and solid. I like being able to clip the gps to my belt too. I will add any problems I find - if any - onto the forum..

I would seriously suggest you should at least try one first before buying.

At the moment I have returned to my 60csx and pda.

Hopefully at some time in the future the 300s will be sorted.

I do not think they are at the moment.

What amazes me is that Garmin support seem to be unaware of problems that are common in this particular model.

I am unsure just how many people are using them extensively as I have done so am unaware if anybody but me has come across problems.

WE know you have issues with the stopwatch on the 300 - but what about the 300 as a gps? Accuracy, sensitivity, paperless caching etc. All of which to me seem to be faultless. Personally the stopwatch on a gps is nothing more than a gimic. If I were needing a stopwatch on a regular basis I would buy a stopwatch. I have noticed the clock thing that you have. The gps does not have an 'internal' clock. It takes it time from the satellite so of course stops when the gps is turned off. But is this really a problem? Most if not all wear a watch anyway. Where the 300 wins is it's paperless mode - saves over a thousand caches with logs and all information. This saves on carrying a pda and gps, just the one unit now. Picture clues can be downloaded to the gps. It is accurate and quick to pick up a satellite with a nice bright screen A sensitive gps so good in valleys and tree cover ( very much needed here in South Wales and the valleys). Easy to use and intuitive. It is very solid construction and waterproof. Can take mapping for onroad and topo which can be loaded onto SD cards. No gps is perfect. And the 300 is no exception. But take away the gimmics as a gps it is as near as can be…. :D

Well all very nice.

Apparently the clock shouldnt stop on the 300 when it is turned off!

And after using it for 3 months it most definitely is not faultless!!

If it is so faultless I take it that you will not be loading any firmware upgrades?

How faultless is it when you are urged by Garmin Support to upload a beta firmware upgrade "at your own risk"?

Mine has now taken upon itself to turn itself off for no apparent reason.

Waterproof? Are you sure?

Before this model I have had an old e trex yellow, a vista, a 60cx and a 60csx and have had little problems with any of these!!!

The 300 is most definitely a different kettle of fish altogether!!

We like our Colorado!! And I'm with Derry, the clock isn't vital to me... nor is the need for a stopwatch. And anyway, if I do need to know the time and my watch has stopped I'll just hammer a stick into the ground and work out the time from the position of the shadow!! That is of course after finding north by looking at which side of the trees the moss is growing.

Chris

Pardon me but I have never read so much tripe in my life .

I suggest you go and read the the manual and check just what it claims for the stopwatch mode.

If you are willing to pay the best part of £300 for a GPS that does not live up to the claims it makes then thats your problem not mine.

Sounds to me as though you were trying to buy a stopwatch but bought a GPS instead. Like Chris I am very happy with my Colorado. But then again like Chris I bought mine for the paperless caching and the GPS....

I have a Garmin GPS 60CSx and I am very happy with it .....BUT after a short demo from Chris (MrB) I must say that I was mightly impressed with the Colorado and I am even thinking an early christmas present could be on the cards :P

We have the Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx which James bought us for Christmas in addition to our other Garmin GPS 60 (The Yellow One!) so please don't show the Colorado to James, I carry around enough expensive stuff in our caching bag as it is!!!

Ellen

Not so.

I buy things for what they advertise they do.

I do not buy a radio that claims to recieve fm mw and lw to find it only recieves fm.

I also bought mine for those reasons you mention so smart alek answers dont cut it with me.

I mentioned the time as a problem because other features of the 300 are inextricably intertwined with it.

I posted in the hope of more informed opinion than you seem capable of giving.

I also bought mine for those reasons you mention so smart alek answers dont cut it with me.

Well done! That's told him. I'm sure that only highly-qualified expert individuals will post replies here now, to avoid wasting your valuable time. I work in a customer service environment and I wish everyone took your no-nonsense approach to my staff; it would certainly buck their ideas up a bit.

In fact I imagine that Garmin will ask someone from R&D to pop in here and address your concerns really soon. In the meantime, I'm sure that everyone else here will just sit tight and wait.

Not so.

I buy things for what they advertise they do.

I do not buy a radio that claims to recieve fm mw and lw to find it only recieves fm.

I mentioned the time as a problem because other features of the 300 are inextricably intertwined with it.

So what you are saying is IF when someone disagrees with your opinion then they must be wrong , or am I reading it wrong.

I have been researching the Colorado for some time and after actually seeing one demonstrated by someone who is a technically driven person (who was also honest about a few quirky bits) I have decided that I will be buying one sooner rather than later. And I have only just purchased a 60CSx to replace a stolen one.

I think the saying is Each to His/Her own :P

I have been researching the Colorado for some time and after actually seeing one demonstrated by someone who is a technically driven person (who was also honest about a few quirky bits) I have decided that I will be buying one sooner rather than later. And I have only just purchased a 60CSx to replace a stolen one.

I think the saying is Each to His/Her own :D

:D looks up to see if it was one of the above owners :P

Just taken MrsB's Colorado out into the garden on a really nice sunny day! Switched it on and it got a lock in about 22 seconds (timed against the shadow of my wooden stick). Clock came up correctly and I started the stopwatch... left it for 10 minutes and was not surprised to see that the clock and stopwatch were spot on. Unfortunately the wooden stick wasn't 'cos it had fallen over. Darn, you just can't rely on technology can you!

Anyway, MrsB, her Colorado and me (with my wooden stick) are off to the Malverns now for Lacto's Leaving Bash...

If anyone else is going there and wants a demo of my wooden stick I'd be delighted to show them.

Chris

I think the saying is Each to His/Her own :P

:D looks up to see if it was one of the above owners :D

Looking down maybe a good idea :D

What a laugh a minute you are.

I am aware that I was probably one of the first people in the country to buy this particular model. If you look back through the threads you will see I mentioned this some little time ago and suggested that people wait or at least test before buying. Just what problem do have with that? There are most definitely "quirks" as mentioned by others.

I brought up the mention of the clock a an easily checked problem that anybody could do as they obviously have.

Now I like you have spent £300 on something that does not work as advertised. I am less than impressed.

It is not my fault that derrylynne did not notice my earlier post on this and am less than impressed by jokes and idiocies about stopwatches.

I was asking for genuine helpful advice after offering it myself about this particular model.

And I would still offer the same advice, try before you buy or as Matrix has done talk to somebody who is honest in their appraisal of it.

And by the way regardless of some persons comments my stopwatch is STILL about 9 mins/day fast and no the clock STILL does not work whilst the instrument is off.

Edited by The Hungry Caterpillars

Although I did notice when the gps had been turned off the time stopped and did not correct until it was put on again and it picked up a satellite - this has now been corrected by the beta update. That update does fix a few quirks - and it has been aknowledged that the early software left much to be desired. However, Garmin were always going to work on problems found in the field. Yes Beta does suggest we the customer is testing the software. But at the end of the download it does say if there are any problems to call Garmin - and the telephone number for the UK is supplied. It is probably the case that the customer is the best and most informed person to test the software then report on any problems which themselves will be ironed out. As Matrix says it is each to his own. If you don't like the Colorado - don't have it. If you have a bad unit ask Garmin for your money back. Garmin are a very good company to work with and have been known to exchange units when being past their warrenties. I maintain that for Geocachers - with paperless caching now being possible with just one unit - this will be a very popular unit.

Hi derrylynne,

I am on the beta update.

The clock still does not work whilst it is switched off. The stopwatch also still gains about 9 mins/day.

I am glad that the beta update works well for you and Chris.

This post below will explain why. This poster sems to know more than anybody else on the fora about the Colorados.

"I believe that the issue with timers running fast is the result of a firmware workaround for one of these hardware problems. Everyone who is running 2.51 seems to be seeing problem. I'm guessing if you stepped back to older firmware this problem would go away. My suspicion is that they are trying to work around a hardware issue by running the internal clocks faster than they are supposed to.

GO$Rs"

I am unaware of anybody officially acknowledging that "the early software left much to be desired"?

Perhaps you can point me in the right direction?

Seeing that I bought mine some time ago you agree that I was although actually being used as beta tester because thats what I felt like and still do.

I most definitely have been in touch with Garmin some number of times and have found them "bland" but definitely not very informative.

As I have not often in the past seven years whilst using six other garmin units found much reason to use their services I have personally nothing else to judge them on.

As for your last statement I will wait and see.

I

derrylynne I AM using the beta update.

My clock still stops and my stopclock still loses about 9m/day.

I am glad this beta update has sorted these problems for you and Chris.

And this post from a person who sems to know more than most about the Colorado below is why-

"I believe that the issue with timers running fast is the result of a firmware workaround for one of these hardware problems. Everyone who is running 2.51 seems to be seeing problem. I'm guessing if you stepped back to older firmware this problem would go away. My suspicion is that they are trying to work around a hardware issue by running the internal clocks faster than they are supposed to.

GO$Rs

I am unaware of any official admission that "the early software left much to be desired"

Yes it most definitely did and that is why I felt like a beta tester for this unit and in fact still do.

Perhaps you could point me in the right direction on this?

As for Garmin Support as I have had made little use of their services whilst using six of their units over the last seven years I can only judge as I now find them . I have most definitely been in touch some number of times and found the support "bland" and generally uninformative.

As for your last comments I can see it being very good but it isnt yet.

As I posted the first time I ever mentioned this unit try before you buyor even better go out caching with somebody who has one.

There is no 'official' statement that the early software left much to be desired. Although that is obvious from looking at the many posts as regards the CO. I have also seen the post where there were many problems with the 60 Cx - all of them resolved in the end after which it was pronounced a brilliant GPS. I have also come across posts for the Hcx many being almost equally critical as some of the posts for the CO. Interesting too that many posts for other GPS units have come up with the same problem as the CO after an update to the 2.51 upgrade. That the signal takes much longer to lock. I upgraded to the 2.51 today - took the CO out into the sunshine and saw no difference in a lock to before. Interesting too that I too had this problem recently though. With an Etrex and a Quest. My answer to that is the problems was probably the satellites or some other thing that is outside our control. The way I see it is that in many ways there seems almost to be a witchhunt starting against the CO. I became interested in buying the CO after seeing Mrs Blorenge's at the South Wales Event. Chris showed it to myself and several others, including Matrix, and has been said showed everything as is. After all - Chris is not selling the units.

You state problems that exist with version 2.51. Again this is a beta version. It has solved some, but not all issues, and I have know doubt that when Garmin is aware of all issues still existing these too will be resolved. What is needed is either a little patience - or for those interested in the CO but not wanting until all issues have been resolved to hang on in there until they are. I have also used many Garmin units, several Etrex units, the Quest, and now the CO.

"Although I did notice when the gps had been turned off the time stopped and did not correct until it was put on again and it picked up a satellite - this has now been corrected by the beta update."

Your post I believe?

I am not posting about other units just the 300.

As I have had little in the way of problems with other units including the 60CSX (60CS?) I have not had much reason to.

From what I have been reading it could be as you had an early unit that you have a 'bad' one. If that is the case I am sure Garmin will exchange it with no problem. Interesting that some have had up to 4 units exchanged by Garmin. To me it is impossible to have four faulty units. I suspect that it comes down to not knowing how to use the unit or wrong settings. For instance it is easy to have tracks or to find a geocache a long way of if the settings are set up wrong. But in your case - as you are so anti CO - ask Garmin for your money back or for it to be exchanged for a unit of your choice........

On the whole I like the CO. As for paperless caching and the image feature, that is fantastic. However, I likewise do have some problem with the 'clock'. In that it works fine when switched on, wether fetching satallites or not. But switch it off and it don't work. I am assuming that would make the 'alarm' useless. And to be fair to Hungry Garmin do advertise it as having a 'sports stopwatch'. I will be ringing Garmin to ask them some questions about the watch and if there is a need for the unit to be changed although I won't have time to do this until Thursday. It could after all just be a setting somewhere that is overlooked. The manual after all is only very basic and 'not very good'.

Sure it will be ok on the day though. Be interesting to find out if anyone else is having this problem with the clock.

I also tested how accurate the CO is and it is awesome. I tested it with Google earth and was only about 2 foot out in my back garden....

Edited by derrylynne

Am finding a few problems with the CO but hope they will be rectified wirth a new update. these include:

some caches freezing the screen (battery pull required)

some caches cause unit to turn off

some cache descriptions are gobbledygook/over written

accuracy sometimes isnt as good as 60CSx (many posts on this)

compass needs recalibrating EVERY start up.

On the plus side the cache descriptions, logs and hints in one place is sooo good, no more PDA, memorymap transfers etc.

Some plus points, some negatives, but I can live with it for a bit

If someone has a handy link to OS map transfer onto a garmin I would appreciate it, thanks

Am finding a few problems with the CO but hope they will be rectified wirth a new update. these include:

some caches freezing the screen (battery pull required)

some caches cause unit to turn off

some cache descriptions are gobbledygook/over written

accuracy sometimes isnt as good as 60CSx (many posts on this)

compass needs recalibrating EVERY start up.

On the plus side the cache descriptions, logs and hints in one place is sooo good, no more PDA, memorymap transfers etc.

Some plus points, some negatives, but I can live with it for a bit

If someone has a handy link to OS map transfer onto a garmin I would appreciate it, thanks

I have heard the beta software upgrade to 2.51 solve many of the freezing problems. I have upgraded now to that one and will let you know after my next caching day...

On the whole I like the CO. As for paperless caching and the image feature, that is fantastic. However, I likewise do have some problem with the 'clock'. In that it works fine when switched on, wether fetching satallites or not. But switch it off and it don't work. I am assuming that would make the 'alarm' useless. And to be fair to Hungry Garmin do advertise it as having a 'sports stopwatch'. I will be ringing Garmin to ask them some questions about the watch and if there is a need for the unit to be changed although I won't have time to do this until Thursday. It could after all just be a setting somewhere that is overlooked. The manual after all is only very basic and 'not very good'.

Sure it will be ok on the day though. Be interesting to find out if anyone else is having this problem with the clock.

I also tested how accurate the CO is and it is awesome. I tested it with Google earth and was only about 2 foot out in my back garden....

Derry. Slightly puzzled by your comment that the clock stops when you switch the unit off so the alarm won't work. Not investigated it but surely if you switch it off it is off!! So everything stops? After all when you switch it back on it has to re-aquire the satellites (from which it gets it's clock signal anyway).

Doing a hard reset - I found this instruction from this website. Please note I am posting it here without any recomendation you do it. I recall doing it on my Vista and it resets the satellites so it took ages to re-aquire a lock - I had to go and manually enter my location.

**Warning: This procedure may delete information (waypoints, routes, tracks, etc) from your GPS and settings may be set back to factory defaults.**

1. Power the unit **OFF**

2. Hold down the two **Soft Keys** for 2 seconds

3. While continuing to hold the 2 **Soft Keys** down, press and hold down the **Power** button for an additional 5 seconds

4. Release all buttons, and select **YES** to the prompt asking "if you want to clear all user data?"

This will erase ALL user information and bring the unit back to the factory default settings. Place the Colorado outside in a stationary position for 20 minutes in plain view of the sky so that it can re-acquire satellites.

Note: Holding down both soft keys and the select button in a similar fashion seems to do a similar reset to the Colorado.

Edited by The Blorenges

Hi John also agree. Have used this perhaps ten times? However am unaware of any other soft reset method than the one you describe.

Hi Blorenges I may well have the wrong end of the stick here. However my 60CSX seems to maintain the proper time regardless of having a satellite lock or not. At the moment my 60CSX has no satellite lock but is giving the correct time. However MY 300 does not. It actually gives the last time it was switched off until it finally gets a satellite lock when it then suddenly jumps to the right time!

This prompted me to look closely at the stopwatch mode when I discovered this was off by about 24s/hr! And that is whilst I have satellite lock. in fact if you watch the stopwatch you can actually see it hang and gain.

As many of the features on the 300 are dependent in one way or another to function correctly on the correct time you realise that other reported problems could be related to this.

From earlier posts on this thread I am still uncertain just who else has actually checked properly for themselves on this.

I telephoned Garmin UK this morning and hey a quick reply and polite response. The guy said he had heard of the clock not working when the unit is off, but was not sure if it were because none had noticed. I did though point out if the clock was not working when it was switched off, then the alarm could not switch the unit on at a preset time as the clock would not be working. It also occurred to me that if everything goes off when the unit is turned off, this may also be related to accuracy of the gps. Some have found the need to do a recalibrate every time they switch on.

Anyhow the advice I had was to do a hard reset. Same way as Chris said. Have done that, it is still outside in the garden getting it’s 30 minutes looking at the stars. Although it was fast picking up a lock. It did not lose the geocaching data although it lost other data like waypoints. Anyhow will be interesting to see if anyone else has noticed the clock NOT working, or still at the time when it was turned off, before picking up a satellite signal again…