swag question

So Im new to this. Im wondering what is the average price of items people leave. What kinds of things do YOU leave?

I got some "party" containers of play-do last night they are small but Im now worried that it might attract animals even if they arent food.

Why i keep buying larger items is beyond me when it seems like most of the caches around me are small or micro. I also bought a bunch of stuff at a party supply store and generally are putting a small eraser into small or micro caches, im concerned that I should be putting something better than that. I also have some weird monsters with googley eyes - keychains and some weird little like kooshball animals, super balls and a bunch of glow sticks (havent placed any of these yet). I also bought some first aid kits at target last night for 97 cents (which is the way high end really compared to my other stuff).

I want to be putting in something cool but I also wanted to do something that would fit in most caches and Im just having a hard time coming up with someting that would fit in both catagories. I originally wanted to do lego keychains but realized how expensive that was going to get and again was concerned about them not fitting.

Can anyone give me some suggestions? Do you think the Play-doh is ok?

my policy is the easier it is to find, the cheaper the gifts (ie childrens gifts). I would think that most caches easily found parents take their kids on, but the harder the cache is to find its mostly adults.........so just put things in that are appropriate for the situation, for adults it could be those wide mouth inserts for nalgene bottles or a gift certificate..........

this aint be the Harvard gift store

There are also people who leave "trademark" novelty items. For example, there are cachers in our area who always leave blue beads, rubber balls, or what have you. I have seen a Boy Scout cacher who sometimes leaves council or district shoulder patches, although this can be a little pricey. Of course, the ultimate in pricey collectibles is to leave your own GeoCoin.

Edited to add: The signature items and, especially, collectibles like the GeoCoin are typically of interest to adult cachers, not children -- although some of the signature novelty items do appeal to the kids. Use your own judgment and have fun with it.

Edited by twolpert