Showing cache names?

Hi--My wife recently got a Garmin Vista HCx, and the wants to change the 'Find Geocache' list to show names, rather than IDs. How does one do that? I know you can use Spinner to combine names and IDs, but I also recall that the Vista has a setting that will change what's displayed. Thanks.

Hi--My wife recently got a Garmin Vista HCx, and the wants to change the 'Find Geocache' list to show names, rather than IDs. How does one do that? I know you can use Spinner to combine names and IDs, but I also recall that the Vista has a setting that will change what's displayed. Thanks.

Well, I import them as POIs and they show up as names instead of GC numbers.

Looking at geocaches, unlike Cachemate, I don't see any place to toggle names/numbers. So, I think it goes back to the selection you make when loading them into your GPSr to begin with.

Some more information would be helpful.

How are you getting the cache information? As a pocket query? As .loc file or .gpx file?

How are you importing the geocaches into your Vista HCx now? GSAK? EasyGPS? Mapsource? Send to Garmin?

Edited by cliff_hanger

I'm getting the info as GPX, so I've got both the name and ID. The ID (GC*****) shows up in the unit's Name field, and the name shouws up in the Comment field. So, what I'm trying to figure out is, since I've got both pieces of info, can I get the 'Find Geocache' list to display the Comment field (i.e., the geocache name), rather than the Name field (i.e., the Geocache ID).

I could swear I read a forum post a year ago that told how to do that on a 60 CSx, which has the same setup as the Vista. But I can't find in on the archive, and I can find the menu item in the Garmin that makes the switch. Of course, there is a good chance that I'm imagining all this...

I'm getting the info as GPX, so I've got both the name and ID. The ID (GC*****) shows up in the unit's Name field, and the name shouws up in the Comment field. So, what I'm trying to figure out is, since I've got both pieces of info, can I get the 'Find Geocache' list to display the Comment field (i.e., the geocache name), rather than the Name field (i.e., the Geocache ID).

I could swear I read a forum post a year ago that told how to do that on a 60 CSx, which has the same setup as the Vista. But I can't find in on the archive, and I can find the menu item in the Garmin that makes the switch. Of course, there is a good chance that I'm imagining all this...

I use GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife) for that and a thousand other things. I'd suggest you give it a try. http://gsak.net/

:blink: You can also use easy gps will allow names osr Gc#

You know what? I'll bet that was it! I was using Easy GPS around the time the question came up. That seems like the siimplest solution--I'll use Easy GPS to download waypoints to the Garmin, instead on MapSource. Thanks.

For the benefit of anyone who comes across this thread while searching the forums: GSAK will do the same thing, and it's a pretty good program, but it's overkill if all you want to do is load cache coordinates onto a GPSr. GSAK is a full-featured caching database with a fairly steep learning curve. If you are looking for a solution that will let you take cache descriptions, hints, and logs on a laptop into the field, you will like it, particularly if you want to store all the caches is a particular area. But if all you want to do is load coordinates for a few caches, EasyGPS is hard to beat.