Pogs

Pogs were a kids game/toy back a few years. They were small discs with wierd and wacky pictures. There was a wide range of designs and styles. Some more sought after than others as they were considered a collectable. They may make a good colorful swag additions?

44e4_1.JPG

boy, heres a fad that came and went. i used to play with pogs when i was younger (im 23). still have them, some are quite rare. though they are CARDBOARD, i wouldnt place them in caches, for when the cache gets wet, who knows whatll happen

boy, heres a fad that came and went. i used to play with pogs when i was younger (im 23). still have them, some are quite rare. though they are CARDBOARD, i wouldnt place them in caches, for when the cache gets wet, who knows whatll happen

Just baggie them, tiny 2 - 4 inch zip lock bags come in packages of 100 at our dollar store.

Wow, I'm 28 and remember playing with those in middle school until they were banned. School districts nationwide banned them because everybody "played for keeps" and was considered gambling. That's what led to them only being a fad.

I'm 28 too. I never played, but the idea never interested me although I was into other 'nerdy' stuff. It just seems like what's essentially flipping coins would get old quickly.

On the other hand, saying the word pogs is fun! Try it as an expletive! Oh, pogs!

I remember playing them in middle school (Im 25) and I think it lasted only a year or so....Always see kids on the floor after lunch in the hallway throwing there slammers down. LOL

For some reason I still have my case and and all the gear I had in middle school and even knew exactly where it was in my closet...Its mostly got a bunch of slammers in it though and vary few actual pogs.

Anyone up for a game? LOL

MVC-002F_20.JPG

I remember playing them in middle school (Im 25) and I think it lasted only a year or so....Always see kids on the floor after lunch in the hallway throwing there slammers down. LOL

For some reason I still have my case and and all the gear I had in middle school and even knew exactly where it was in my closet...Its mostly got a bunch of slammers in it though and vary few actual pogs.

Anyone up for a game? LOL

MVC-002F_20.JPG

Aww if I knew where mine were I would be so up for one. Actually this could be a pretty interesting idea for a cache. One slammer in the container, you bring a pog and take one from the cache - you keep it if you can flip them both with the slammer, if not leave it. Yea, that would be awesome.

Pogs were a kids game/toy back a few years. They were small discs with wierd and wacky pictures. There was a wide range of designs and styles. Some more sought after than others as they were considered a collectable. They may make a good colorful swag additions?

44e4_1.JPG

When I startd caching last last month, I was putting pog slammers in caches cuz they had my initials on the back. (JK)

We had cleaned out the garage to make room for new junk and I thought pogs were an okay treat to leave behind. As I continued caching, I would run out of the house with just my GPSr and a stack of listings so pogs never became my signature treat. I was leaving guitar pix for a while too, but same story... i've just been signing logs.JK1

*shrug

Pogs might be good with nacho cheese...

The military still makes us play with them, I came home with a bunch from Iraq and now drop them off in caches. I guess coins were too heavy to ship so they went with cardboard :laughing:

web_040415-F-8043B-001.jpg

Edit for pic size.

Edited by O-Mega

pogs originated in hawaii.....the discs were used to cap and seal milk and juice bottles.....

It all started in 1927 - the year the Haleakala Dairy in Maui, Hawaii, brought out a new brand of fruit juice. The top of each bottle had a small round cardboard lid or cap.

Times were hard in Hawaii - despite the warm sunshine, fabulous beaches and all the coconuts you could eat The 1930s were the years of the Great Depression. Thousands of people lost their jobs and they had no money to spend on new toys.

Children had to make their own games. And that's when the caps off the juice drinks caught someone's eye. Soon a game sprang up, invented entirely by children. The idea was to flip the bottle caps. These became known as POGs because the ingredients of the drink were Passion fruit, Orange and Guava. What a great idea for a game!

Hawaiians playing POGs The kids drew designs on the caps and also made slammers. These slammers were usually three caps glued together. They called them kinis - the Hawaiian word for 'king'

The craze lasted a number of years but eventually faded away. It would probably have dissapeared forever if it hadn't been for a school teacher, Blossom Galbiso. She had played POGs with all her friends when she was growing up in the 1930s. In 1991 she decided to teach the game to the pupils in her class.

They loved it and told the others in the school, who told all their friends in other schools. Once again the whole of Hawaii was going mad for POGs. The game was bigger than ever before. In fact, by 1992 it was reckoned that the average child in Hawaii had a collection of 1,700 POGs.

In 1993 POGs flipped over to mainland America. First California, then one by one all the other states caught on to the craze. National tournaments were organised and other makes of caps were invented to cope with the demand.

Edited by escondido100

My now brother-in-law used to play pogs. I just collected the cooler looking ones. When he stopped playing, he gave me all of his. I think I have a couple of slammers and a tube or so of pogs. Will have to see if I can find em. Just may leave them in caches.

Got to looking and found this POGS on ebay

Edited by Sparticus06