Farewell explorist

The explorist line is now officially in the grave.

Product (discontinued date)

* eXplorist 100 North America (May 2008)

* eXplorist 200 Europe (January 2008)

* eXplorist 200 North America (January 2008)

* eXplorist 210 Europe (May 2008)

* eXplorist 210 North America (May 2008)

* eXplorist 300 Europe (January 2008)

* eXplorist 300 North America (January 2008)

* eXplorist 400 Europe (January 2008)

* eXplorist 400 North America (January 2008)

* eXplorist 400 Trails Bundle (January 2008)

* eXplorist 400 Wilderness Bundle (January 2008)

* eXplorist 500 Europe (May 2008)

* eXplorist 500 LE Europe (May 2008)

* eXplorist 500 LE Fishing Bundle - North (January 2008)

* eXplorist 500 LE Fishing Bundle - South (January 2008)

* eXplorist 500 LE Fishing Bundle - West (January 2008)

* eXplorist 500 LE Hiking Bundle (January 2008)

* eXplorist 500 LE North America (May 2008)

* eXplorist 500 North America (November 2006)

* eXplorist 600 Europe (May 2008)

* eXplorist 600 Geocache Bundle (January 2008)

* eXplorist 600 North America (May 2008)

* eXplorist XL Europe (May 2008)

* eXplorist XL North America (May 2008)

The thing I will miss most is your 3 axis compass.

Edited by sanramonhunter

good riddence!!!

I just called today to try to get my 500 fixed and they said nope!! but we will send you a new Triton 400. i'm like O.K. Was hoping they'd send me a new Garmin but.... One month without a GPS while I have to ship my old one and they ship the new one. That sucks! I hope the Tritons have gotten better.

We loved our eXplorist600. It was extremely accurate, worked well if you were ok with the slingshot effect and worked with most of our existing software. The 3-axis compass eliminated a lot of arguments as to which way to head. Now that the eXplorist line is dead, it looks like I won't be able to get a keypad membrane to replace the one that is damaged at the joystick. Perchance is there anyone that has a defunct eXplorist out there that could send me the membrane from their's? They should all be the same size. I guess I am rough on them because this is the second one we've gone through.

Edited by Trail Buzzards

Just in case there was anyone left clinging to the chance of WAAS getting fixed, I suspect that window is now closed. I can't recall Magellan every revving firmware for a discontinued product.

Heck, I think there was only one revision that was issued to *all* owners (Europeans got a second one) from the time the product was released in '05 until it was retired.

Remember the original version that didn't mark caches as found and had the really bad lockup problems?

Is it me or does it seem like Magellan's products are obsolete as soon as they hit the store shelf? It's pretty sad there was only one official firmware update for the non-European Explorists it's entire life. Also, it seems like the Triton series came out soon after the Explorist line and before any support was given to the Explorists to make them better units. In addition to lack of firmware updates, good luck trying to purchase updated maps (2007/2008 data) from Magellan! From the looks of things, it doesn't appear that Triton is receiving much support either from the bugs being reported by users. I have a SporTrak Pro and a Explorist 600, and this is the last time Magellan is getting my money! Product support from Magellan is a complete joke. From now on, it's all Garmin. I've been very satisfied with the nuvi series as well as the Forerunner I own.

Ok, I'll get off my soapbox now.

Edited by ryguyMN

As a timeline (since this is a eulogy): Explorist 100, 200, 300 were announced August of 2004. The first wave of Explorists with computer connections (400, 500, 600) were announced in Jan of '05. 210 and XL were announced in August of '05. Triton was announced August of '07, but I don't think any of them appeared "in the wild" until about the turn of the calendar.

I think this means that the only current Magellan that can be used with GPSBabel (and thus GSAK) is Crossover and even that isn't via direct communication; you have to copy files to it via a card reader, IIRC.

We loved our eXplorist600. It was extremely accurate, worked well if you were ok with the slingshot effect and worked with most of our existing software. The 3-axis compass eliminated a lot of arguments as to which way to head. Now that the eXplorist line is dead, it looks like I won't be able to get a keypad membrane to replace the one that is damaged at the joystick. Perchance is there anyone that has a defunct eXplorist out there that could send me the membrane from their's? They should all be the same size. I guess I am rough on them because this is the second one we've gone through.

I'm also looking for parts for my 600 I need a battery door and usb cable. A li-ion and ac adapter would be nice also. If I get my hands on a broken one with working buttons I'll split the cost with you. And Vice versa if you find one. I'm looking to spend about $20 for the parts. I'll shoot you a PM if I find something.

Thats a bummer, I was hoping for at least one more firmware upgrade for the Explorist 600 before they discontinued the line. I am assuming from a previous post that if the unit is still under warranty they will replace it with a triton?

The thing I don't like about the triton line is the maps. Having to drop 80-99 bucks a state. I geocache in like 8 different states. This would be very costly for maps.

Storm180

Thats a bummer, I was hoping for at least one more firmware upgrade for the Explorist 600 before they discontinued the line. I am assuming from a previous post that if the unit is still under warranty they will replace it with a triton?

The thing I don't like about the triton line is the maps. Having to drop 80-99 bucks a state. I geocache in like 8 different states. This would be very costly for maps.

Storm180

Don't have a triton yet I'm expecting one today (replacement for a explorist 600). But I'm pretty sure you can use the regular topo 3d on it that you use on the explorist. Maybe I'm wrong on that.

Yes I figured that the old topo would work in the tritons but comparing TOPO 2008 from Garmin and TOPO 3D, the garmin TOPO takes the cake.

I am looking to upgrade my 600 and wanted to get better maps than I had on the 600 and is the reason I almost bought the triton but then the maps are really costly for the quality TOPO I want so I decided that I am going to get a Colorado 300 since I already own Garmin Topo 2008 for my 60CSx.

Storm180

If I had an Explorist (thank goodness I don't!) that was still in warranty, and they tried to give me a Triton in exchange, I would refuse, and demand my money back. They do not have he right to substitute a unit like that, unless you agree. It is repair or replace with a new or an equivalent unit. I would argue the Triton is not equivalent. I'm not a lawyer, but I do run a business. Your laws may vary by State. I have to support my customers. Shouldn't Magellan, at least during the warranty period?

So now the Explorists can join the Meridians in the non-WAAS non-supported Magellan line-up.

I wonder how soon we will see the the thread on the eulogy for Magellan.

Adios Senior eXplorist! After only a few months of faithful service, I am trading in mky eXplorist 500le for a more accurate Garmin GPSMAP 60CS (yes I know it's discontinued) however, after hours spent on the phone with Magellan trying to get their software to work, I think I'll give Garmin a shot. I'll miss the little guy.

I'm also looking for parts for my 600 I need a battery door and usb cable. A li-ion and ac adapter would be nice also. If I get my hands on a broken one with working buttons I'll split the cost with you. And Vice versa if you find one. I'm looking to spend about $20 for the parts. I'll shoot you a PM if I find something.

I saw your post while researching a problem I had with my Explorist 600. As it turns out, I will be sending in my Explorist 600 in exchange for a Triton 500. The tech representative told me I can send in the unit without the battery door. So, I now have that part, a USB cable with power supply adapter, the seldom used original Magellan battery and 2 compatible Motorola batteries, and a motorola battery charger that charges these batteries so you don't have to tie-up the Explorist 600 charging the batteries. Let me know if you are interested.

Heck, I think there was only one revision that was issued to *all* owners (Europeans got a second one) from the time the product was released in '05 until it was retired.

You are correct sir - as usual. I got one of the first 600's when they were released. I remember storming and ranting for months to get a firmware fix. We got it just before Christmas Dec 2005. That's it.

One firmware update in 3 years. Thanks a lot!

I still want to be a Maggie engineer - you don't have to do anything...

Officially? I thought the line had been end-of-life for a while.

I know M's overall quality and customer service have been "off" for the past few years, starting around the time the old company was sold to Thales. But oddly enough, I've never had any problems with any of the Magellan units I've owned (Map 330x, SporTrak Pro, various Meridians and Explorists).

It may just be that I don't hang on to them long enough to see long term problems. I tend to buy, sell, trade, etc all of my gadgets and rarely keep one model for even a year. But a lot of the ones I've had were used when they came into my hands, and never a problem.

At the moment I have an Explorist 210 with the last EU firmware rev in it. I only use it as a data logger on my bike and it serves that role perfectly. It does receive WAAS, and I know better to do a factory reset. I've also saved a backup of the CRITMEM file, just in case,

Member of a disreputable family, dead product line? No complaints here - it just makes 'em cheaper on eBay and Craigslist :huh:

I got the eXplorist 500 when it was first released in 2005. I use it several times a week for uses other than caching. It still has the original battery and it keeps a good charge. I did the first firmware upgrade and the European firmware. It receives the two WAAS sats. I often get 12 to 14 satellites received when hiking and using in the field. The time is accurate to within one second of true time and I have checked it often over the last half year, when I sync my camera (I test it using my "atomic" clock and listening to 15Mhz on my HF transceiver.)

I have tested the shown elevation using benchmarks, topo maps, and the topo 3d installed, and it is very accurate. I have tested the location at super-accurate benchmarks and it is usually more accurate than the stated EPE or "Accuracy." I have both the topo maps and street maps with driving instructions installed. It has the best file management system that I have found in any GPSr. I save a lot of track files and it keeps the time stamps. This GPSr has very good utility. Yes, there is always room for firmware updates.

Like EScout above I have enjoyed using the eXplorist (mine is a 500). I bought it from REI about 1.5 years ago while on a trip to the USA. I have found it to be very accurate and reliable. Once I moved state side last year I also purchased the Topo 3D USA program and do not have any complaints. It has many features that MapSource does not seem to have.

All that said Magellan customer service is appalling.

Unfortunately everyone else I do stuff with outdoors has a Garmin. So all the custom maps they make do nothing for me (.img files) which is frustrating. Now with Magellan “support” gone I guess it’s time to go the Garmin route with an HCx.

I'm still hoping that I'll be able to solve the WAAS issue for ALL of the Magellan products that are discontinued. But I suggest NOBODY buy anything Magellan from now on, not even their Automobile units...

see

http://ray.jerome./jobs.googlepages.com/majormagellanproblem

for details, and future good news I hope.

Trainlove,

When I click the link you posted it doesn't work. I'd really like to check that out. Thanks.

Can anyone tell me where/who to call to try get get replacements for our explorists that died recently? We got a second-hand 500 in April, which died in June. Today, paul called to say that the 210 we got about a year ago died, too.

All we have left is the 100 we got started with (no USB port!) and plans to go to the mega event in Quebec in three weeks!

At this point, I'd gladly trade the two broken Explorists for anything they'd give me...

Can anyone tell me where/who to call to try get get replacements for our explorists that died recently? We got a second-hand 500 in April, which died in June. Today, paul called to say that the 210 we got about a year ago died, too.

All we have left is the 100 we got started with (no USB port!) and plans to go to the mega event in Quebec in three weeks!

At this point, I'd gladly trade the two broken Explorists for anything they'd give me...

If they are less than one year old they should be repaired or replaced by magellan at no cost. However they sometimes take up to 6 weeks to accomplish that task. Give them a call and get your stuff fixed.

I just layed to rest my eXplorist 400. My new squeeze is a Delorme PN-20. In one fell swoop I went from the worst customer service to the best customer service in the business. One more thing - the maps and display were almost okay on the 400, but it's like discovering the New World when I use the PN-20! I am officially over my grieving period :laughing: .

I saw your post while researching a problem I had with my Explorist 600. As it turns out, I will be sending in my Explorist 600 in exchange for a Triton 500. The tech representative told me I can send in the unit without the battery door. So, I now have that part, a USB cable with power supply adapter, the seldom used original Magellan battery and 2 compatible Motorola batteries, and a motorola battery charger that charges these batteries so you don't have to tie-up the Explorist 600 charging the batteries. Let me know if you are interested.

I sent you and email via gc.com

I just layed to rest my eXplorist 400. My new squeeze is a Delorme PN-20. In one fell swoop I went from the worst customer service to the best customer service in the business. One more thing - the maps and display were almost okay on the 400, but it's like discovering the New World when I use the PN-20! I am officially over my grieving period :laughing: .

You seems to be happy with the PN-20 and you've used an Explorist. Perfect.....lemme ask you a couple of things. (not meaning to divert the thread)

I know the PN-20 has a color screen. Is it larger than a standard Explorist?

How's the sensitivity of the PN-20 as compared to your old 400 unit. One thing I like about my Explorist 400 is that it always knows where it is.

How much is Topo software (US) for the PN-20 and what comes with it out of the box?

Thanks.

I know the PN-20 has a color screen. Is it larger than a standard Explorist?

How much is Topo software (US) for the PN-20 and what comes with it out of the box?

1)

PN-20 - 2.2" Transflective TFT color display (220 x 176 pixels)

eXplorist 400 - 2.25", 4-level grayscale (122 x 160 pixels)

2)

http://shop.delorme.com/OA_HTML/DELibeCCtp...p?section=10106

or

http://www.tigergps.com/refurbpn20.html

Edited by ryleyinstl

Storm180

I have a 500LE and I wanted one more upgrade to fix the WAAS problem. Darn my GPS will suffer :rolleyes:

I had an explorist 500 that stopped receiving satellites. Magellan asked me to send it back under warranty which I did. I heard nothing from them for six weeks, so I called them back and asked whats going on. Then they told me that they were not repairing the explorist, but were willing to replace it with a Triton 400. I insisted on the 500 and got that model which got buggered up in the process of downloading the firmware. Got my secong Triton 500 and it seems all flash and is, perhaps out of a desire to be simple seems limited. Does anyone know how to change the times on one of those things?

I wish I had found these forums before I bought my 500le, not because its a bad unit, because I bought it 5 months ago....yeah. right before they were discontinued. I checked all kinds of reviews, didnt care for the look of the triton, so bought the explorist. It worked great and all was fine till my friend bought the triton 500....those maps were awsome, so.....after a little more research, I bought the colorado 400t and found these forums. They've helped alot by the way. The wiki was a million time more helpfull than the instruction manual. For the record, I like the colorado, some things could be better but for the most part I like it. Then less than a month after purchasing my colorado.....THE OREGON COMES OUT!!!!!! UUUGGGHHH!!!! I GIVE UP.

Thanks all,

CC

I have been quite happy with my explorist 500 for 3 years. It's been extremely accurate and rugged. I only had one dealing with support in the 3 years I've had it and that was when the data cable broke while under warranty. They sent one out promptly.

I had an opportunity to get a Garmin Colorado for my birthday this year. I've so happy with the 500 that I opted for a new cell phone instead.

That said, when the explorist eventually dies, I will probably go with Garmin just because it doesn't seem Magellan is really as interested in the recreational side as they are car navigation. I seem to be the only Magellan user in our local caching group.

I think the explorist hardware is OK, and I appreciate the attempt to make a product embraceing the geocacheing community. Also that the filesystem is accessable.

That said, software is something else. The exploritst XL has the crappiest buggiest piece of firmware i

have ever encountered. The limitation of 200 geocaches loaded is not very capable in a modern unit.

Also the company surprised me to be disinterested in customer feedback to fix bugs in the software.

I returned back to my big Garmin streetmap (where i could load 1000 WP's) from -95. It eats batteries but it is a reliable unit.

Anyone else had the same/differnent experience with magellan and the explorist XL?