Bicycle Geo-caching

Hello there...After a search of the forums and finding few posts I have to ask. I am planning on using my bicycle for the main transportation while Geo-caching. Are there any others that do this, and can give some insight into the tactics used while hunting caches? I know it is a bit more obvious than using a car sometimes, but on the same note it can be easier to reach some out of the way caches.

Do you hide your bike in a brushy area or lock it to a tree if you need to hike to an area? How many people will go adventure touring for caches (2 or more days at a time camping along the way)?

I have seen a scant few articles online about dedicated bike geocaching, most were a gear review and had little or no info relative to the actual hunt. Any tips, tricks or recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks.

DSCN0745.jpg

Nice bike, but the wallpaper has to go! :blink::ph34r:

My wife and I bike cache - a lot. But we pretty much relegate ourselves to areas that are bike friendly like bike trails and single track areas. We'll also do urban areas that are bike friendly. (we mountain bike). Our general rule of thumb is that we won't go for a cache where the bikes are out of sight. We'll walk them if we have to, or we'll just not do the cache. I'm not warm and fuzzy leaving well more than $1K worth of bikes out of sight. We've never had an issue, and no ones really approached them, but I know if someone were to snatch and run I'm not catching them on foot!

-Roger

My first year and part of the second year of caching was done on bike. I lived in Chicago and had a great time biking all over the north side of the city. Once the unfound caches got to be more than 7 miles away (as the crow flies, well over 10 miles on Chicago's grid of streets) had to start using my car.

But, now I'm in Boise, and there are at least 200 caches within less than 10 miles from home, so am glad to be back on my bike.

You see so much more biking.

I do lock it up if I'll be out of sight, but it wasn't that expensive, so I don't worry a whole lot.

I have brought my bike to several caches and have thanked it indefinatley! I have also did around town caches by bike, but never on an excursion as you speak of! Sounds fun and Ive wanted to...Shouldnt ya have a little more aggressive tire if ya go offroad? I cant remember the tire name, but it had lite tread in th emiddle and bigger knobs on the side. Makes a HUGE difference in the dirt than straight street tires did, cuz Ive tried those too!...I do love those Street tires on the street though. Feels like you can almost drag a knee if ya wanted! (well not really)

Got the bags, the GPS mount...Shoot- Your ready!

OH...The Kevlar strips!!! They are so light weight and almost paper thin...waaaaay better than the conventional tire strips that add all that rotating weight. Man, I have been happy with those! Not Cheap though, but not too expensive either...Think around 30.00-40.00 for the pair...YOU WILL LOVE THEM!

Thanks all for the tips, and info, keep them coming. Glad I'm not the only one on a two wheeler out there lol.

I have brought my bike to several caches and have thanked it indefinatley! I have also did around town caches by bike, but never on an excursion as you speak of! Sounds fun and Ive wanted to...Shouldnt ya have a little more aggressive tire if ya go offroad? I cant remember the tire name, but it had lite tread in th emiddle and bigger knobs on the side. Makes a HUGE difference in the dirt than straight street tires did, cuz Ive tried those too!...I do love those Street tires on the street though. Feels like you can almost drag a knee if ya wanted! (well not really)

I had a pure mountain bike before I purchased this one, and as the distance I was able to ride each day increased I decided to get the "next best" thing. I almost bought a pure road bike, but then I would have missed out on half the fun :blink: The bike I purchased is a hybrid type, good for both road and trail. The tires are also a hybrid type, Town and Country made by Continental. While they lack the knobbies that help more in dirt, I find the tread holds extremely well off-road. So far, after about 300 local miles on road and single track I have yet to see any downside to these.

I am also a big proponent of Slime (liquid tube puncture filler) and have used it for years, but I will definitely look into the Kevlar strips if I end up spending more time on trails than road.

DSCN0747.jpg

p.s. The wallpaper is in my brothers house, in the laundry room where I store my bike. It is pretty bad isn't it? lol

Yeah...those are nice tires, I could definatley see em being the best of both worlds possible. I realized the rolling mass in the tire difference when I used thorn proof tubes WITH slime on my Big Mammoth wheelset (larger rim cuz Im a big guy) then swtched back to my Zac19's with regular tubes and the kevlar strips...I mean NIGHT and DAY! The rolling mass is a huge aspect and seems to play the biggest role over all other weight concerns.

The street tires I used that failed miserably was a 1.5 inch Blackburn with decent tread...dont even get in the dirt! My continental (um I think city slickers...???) are the ones I love as far as a street tire at 2.0 they are great. I havent switched for a long time, but Ive just been runnin my panaracer XC (umm...Fire Pro...???) they are strictly dirt.

Also if possible try to keep as much weight off the bike and on you if you can...i.e. a backpack. Now I cant really vouch 100% here but I do know that weight on the bike transfers differently than weight on you! Seems odd but its true. If your just goin out for a day on the trail, you may wanna prepare by removing the pack. Try it out and see if it makes a difference. For roads I might leave the pack on just for comfort. But the tires...id shave as much weight as possible!

Talk to the bike shop...I can guarantee they will vouch for the kevlar strips over slime anyday.

A good teflon lube and the gears gotta be adjusted well for crisp smooth shifts, OH if ya havent learned not to cross shift- That is another great tip to keep your chain and gears runnin smooth and your pedaling smooth too. ya know When you shift down in the front, shift up in the rear and vise versa... the movements of both deraileurs help each other and get you in a better range rather than a huge change in gear ratios when shifting the front alone...It takes practice, but it'll be 2nd nature when you figure it, if you havent already.

Hope that helps, and remember I am no pro by all means! :ph34r: Only ride my poor little cicle but MAYBE a couple of times a week now, if im lucky and nowhere far! :blink: I just gotta get back into it! Just gettin fatter and fatter!

I enjoy biking to caches...but I drive my Jeep to the trailhead and then throw a leg over my bike. My brother and I placed and 8 stage cache (Park and RIDE, Sally RIDE...now archived) that covered 15.7 miles of a bike trail (round trip). One guy biked 57 miles one day to complete it and bike the trail...he told me that he'd wanted to bike that section of trail for a few years. I've also done an 18 mile round trip bike ride for one multi cache. And last week I did between 13 and 14 miles for 5 or 6 caches. It is a great way to find caches.

7d94662c-4b5d-49f2-9109-c02020bfe1d5.jpg

af576eb4-11bb-4d41-b5bf-b515f178b844.jpg

I left my bike on the side of a trail while looking for a cache. It was always in sight. The cache was low in some thick brush. Other people on bikes would see the bike, and then look around to see why there was a bike on the side of the trail. I probably looked like I was letting "nature call".

I have ridden my mountain bike a bunch of times to caches, but the problem is the gear I have to wear. It's really awkward to walk around in mtb shoes. I also have no type of lock with this bike, but it can take any trail I care to attempt.

bike_mono.jpg

My favourite caching bike is my town ride and I use it pretty much for any cache that is within 50km round-trip. I find that it is often easier to practice stealth on a bike than with a vehicle. I alway carry a lock with this bike so I can leave it behind if necessary. And when I grow weary, I punch a button on the dash and I get a little help.

bike_bionx.jpg

I like to ride my bike to caches as well. Being in the suburbs of Chicago, you have to have planned route or carry a map for adjustments. Some of the streets do not have sidewalks or bikeways. And with traffic, you do not want to be riding on the street. I print from GSAK using the myGME macro.

If I am not city caching, I drive to forest preserves and cache along the bike routes within them. If I have to go off the trail, I carry my bike in for about 100 feet or so and lay the bike on its side. Heck, coming back I can get 40 feet away and not see my bike. Remember to take a waypoint where you leave your bike.

I bike a lot to caches, since here in the Denver area we have hundreds of miles of bike trails just in the urban area alone, including the 50-mile plus Highline Canal, the longest urban trail in the US. Many of the caches here are only a few feet from the trail and that poses the biggest muggle problem. On more than one occasion I have set my bike down and started looking for the cache and then had fellow bikers approach and ask if I was "all right". Apparently they think I've had a wreck. How else would you explain a bike laid down in the weeds and a biker wandering around a few yards away with a dazed and confused look. :laughing: So I've had to learn some special stealth techniques in these areas to keep the bike out of sight while I look.

My mountain bike still has the old basket-style toe clips so I can wear trail shoes and that has helped a lot in some areas where the walk to the cache would have been harder in bike shoes.

I always go caching by bike. It's because there's no caches that can be done by foot from my house anymore, and I do not own a car.

That said, I have found caches by car, of course (joining another cacher, or family member), on skis, and by boat.

A couple of years ago, I biked halfway through Ireland, finding 35 caches along the way. And last summer, we rode from Berlin to Holland in 2 weeks (& about 30 caches).

I also own a bookmark list of especially-for-bike caches in Holland. And one of those caches is mine: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GC11BZR.

Can't help myself here:

90721dcb-e7a9-44d3-98a9-ee9f60d88427.jpg

"Honey! The cache description says we need to go 10 meters further up the road! Stay close behind me!"

My caching partner wanted to make a biking event, and was shot down because it "promoted Biking and Exercise". Here's a quote he sent me: Your event is promoting cycling to be healthy. That is a social agenda. here's more of what was in the email he got from Groundspeak:

Caches that Solicit

Solicitations are off-limits. For example, caches perceived to be posted for religious, political, charitable or social agendas are not permitted. Geocaching is supposed to be a light, fun activity, not a platform for an agenda.

Your event is promoting cycling to be healthy. That is a social agenda. These are not allowed. We do not allow any agenda's.. Good, bad or otherwise. Your reviewer is correct you will need to make the changes.

Thank you.I have informed your reviewer that it is ok to proceed with the cache review.

Thank you,

Michael

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

In the end, he did get it approved, but he had to reword a lot of it. But promoting cycling to be healthy is an agenda? no offense to you guys at Groundspeak, but all we do anyways, in the world of Geocaching (walking and biking) is exercise. Is that an agenda? To get in better shape? If that's the case, time to do some armchair caching........

Southern California is conducive to biking, and yet at the same time, non conducive due to the number of illegals camping out in the canyons and scrublands.

I have cleared out the local are on bike but take the bike to various urban and canyon trails, driving to the trailhead and then heading off not for one, but a series. I carry a lock if I get off the trail but generally leave the bike unattended if I have to go into scrubland.

I like to try to bike to caches and very much resent people calling it an agenda any more than walking to caches is an agenda to encourage people to walk or that driving to caches is an agenda to support the oil companies or auto companies, for good or bad. Bicycling is just a way to get there. I think there is a group in that is named for caching at night. Isn't that an agenda? There was also an event I saw based on a group who had a certain kind of car. Isn't that an agenda to support the car manufacturer?

Oh well, I like to cache by bike when possible and there are countless bike trails all over the country that have many caches and benchmarks, another hobby of mine, along them.

I love to bicycle cache!! And, if I can hike and bike by locking my bike up I do that too!! I live near a really large wild park, and I have two caches to go before I will have found all of the caches in there found. I've even a cache on a tough hill ride and named it "Pedal Hard."

More Bike related caches!!!

I have a cache called BIKEDOG LIVES http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...=y&decrypt= I placed it on the best single track around in honor of our late Bikedog. It has only been found 4 times since Feb 07 and none were by bike! Cant think of anyone who has come through town and hit up caches by bike in my hood, which seems kinda crazy if ya think about it...No one!

I have my very first Mountain bike race on June 21st at Lake sonoma and will be finding all the caches around there aswell as placing one along the bike route...cant wait! Wasnt till Sunday that I decided to just do it and am looking forward to gettin my fat a** training for that one...auta be real interesting seein a Big Ol Fat guy out there, but it'll be fun! Just got a Trek Fuel 80 givin to me by my Brother in-law :) ...Unsure if I will ride my trusty hardtail or my new dually! Wish me luck! :)

Let's talk about agendas...apparently Groundspeak and Geocaching.com have a clear agenda to make as much money as possible. I am extremely saddened and dissappointed that nearly all of the geocaches are now only available to "Premium" Members. I got into this sport/hobby because it was relatively inexpensive and I could share it with my kids - yes $30/year may seem reasonable to most people but it just doesn't fit into a budget like ours (3 kids / 1 income). I find it hard to believe they need the additional income so badly to run the site - if so perhaps the running of the site has gotten out of control! I consider it rude to have offered/enticed me for the last couple of years with the free membership and then to begin charging for items/info that used to be free.

I guess I either have to find another (free) geocache site or move on to another sport/hobby.

And yes, I agree that geocaching in and of itself is promoting an agenda - get over yourselves already!

allen515

eugene, oregon

My caching partner wanted to make a biking event, and was shot down because it "promoted Biking and Exercise". Here's a quote he sent me: Your event is promoting cycling to be healthy. That is a social agenda. here's more of what was in the email he got from Groundspeak:

Caches that Solicit

Solicitations are off-limits. For example, caches perceived to be posted for religious, political, charitable or social agendas are not permitted. Geocaching is supposed to be a light, fun activity, not a platform for an agenda.

Your event is promoting cycling to be healthy. That is a social agenda. These are not allowed. We do not allow any agenda's.. Good, bad or otherwise. Your reviewer is correct you will need to make the changes.

Thank you.I have informed your reviewer that it is ok to proceed with the cache review.

Thank you,

Michael

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

In the end, he did get it approved, but he had to reword a lot of it. But promoting cycling to be healthy is an agenda? no offense to you guys at Groundspeak, but all we do anyways, in the world of Geocaching (walking and biking) is exercise. Is that an agenda? To get in better shape? If that's the case, time to do some armchair caching........

Can we leave the agenda rants out of a non-agenda topic? :)

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?act=boardrules

Here are some things to keep in mind when posting:

5. Keep on topic: Responses to a particular thread should be on-topic and pertain to the discussion. Users should use the New Topic button to start a new discussion which would otherwise be off-topic in the current thread. Threads that veer off topic may be closed by a moderator.

This thread is about using your bicycle for caching, not events that didn't get published.

Thanks,

/Q

edit: MM was 5-minutes faster than me, yet he's 3 hours behind me. Go figure! :)

Edited by Quiggle

I have a cache called BIKEDOG LIVES http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...=y&decrypt= I placed it on the best single track around in honor of our late Bikedog. It has only been found 4 times since Feb 07 and none were by bike! Cant think of anyone who has come through town and hit up caches by bike in my hood, which seems kinda crazy if ya think about it...No one!

I have my very first Mountain bike race on June 21st at Lake sonoma and will be finding all the caches around there aswell as placing one along the bike route...cant wait! Wasnt till Sunday that I decided to just do it and am looking forward to gettin my fat a** training for that one...auta be real interesting seein a Big Ol Fat guy out there, but it'll be fun! Just got a Trek Fuel 80 givin to me by my Brother in-law :) ...Unsure if I will ride my trusty hardtail or my new dually! Wish me luck! :)

Great pic of the bike atop the giant rockpile at the Bikedog cache.

My first offroad cachemobile was a mountain bike. Since I got the Jeep, I don't have to use the bike as much, but sometimes it's exactly the right tool for the job.

I recently DNFed Tour de Fantasy Island, a multicache at the Tucson's wonderful MTB playground. Had a blast!

Recently did maintenance on my adopted Turkey Creek cache and rode the bike out there. Nothing too technical, just 26 miles (roundtrip) of mild Jeep road through rolling hills.

Apart from that, I take the bike along on caching outings where I'd otherwise have to hike old Jeep roads that are closed to motor vehicles. I have two bikes: a Montague Paratrooper folding bike, and a Redline D-460 full-rigid 29er. Don't laugh too hard at the Montague. It's weird, but it works!

Good luck in the upcoming race, 007BigD!

I would happily carve your singletrack if I was only 3,500 miles closer! Good luck in your race and remember it's not whether you win or lose that's important, just don't end up puking on your shoes! :)

Hello there...After a search of the forums and finding few posts I have to ask. I am planning on using my bicycle for the main transportation while Geo-caching. Are there any others that do this, and can give some insight into the tactics used while hunting caches? I know it is a bit more obvious than using a car sometimes, but on the same note it can be easier to reach some out of the way caches.

Do you hide your bike in a brushy area or lock it to a tree if you need to hike to an area? How many people will go adventure touring for caches (2 or more days at a time camping along the way)?

I have seen a scant few articles online about dedicated bike geocaching, most were a gear review and had little or no info relative to the actual hunt. Any tips, tricks or recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks.

DSCN0745.jpg

I use a bicycle as my primary mode of transportation. So when I am out caching I am using it to get me from cache-to-cache.

Being as it is my primary mode of transportation I tend to keep it with me when I am out caching, but if I had to leave it in an area while I went looking. Then depending on whether or not it would take me out of sight of my bike or not I would lock it up.

Thanks all for the tips, and info, keep them coming. Glad I'm not the only one on a two wheeler out there lol.

I had a pure mountain bike before I purchased this one, and as the distance I was able to ride each day increased I decided to get the "next best" thing. I almost bought a pure road bike, but then I would have missed out on half the fun :) The bike I purchased is a hybrid type, good for both road and trail. The tires are also a hybrid type, Town and Country made by Continental. While they lack the knobbies that help more in dirt, I find the tread holds extremely well off-road. So far, after about 300 local miles on road and single track I have yet to see any downside to these.

I am also a big proponent of Slime (liquid tube puncture filler) and have used it for years, but I will definitely look into the Kevlar strips if I end up spending more time on trails than road.

DSCN0747.jpg

p.s. The wallpaper is in my brothers house, in the laundry room where I store my bike. It is pretty bad isn't it? lol

I use Specialized's Armadilo road tires on my Hardrock Mountain Bike. They have kevlar from bead-to-bead and haven't had a problem with them.

I enjoy biking to caches...but I drive my Jeep to the trailhead and then throw a leg over my bike. My brother and I placed and 8 stage cache (Park and RIDE, Sally RIDE...now archived) that covered 15.7 miles of a bike trail (round trip). One guy biked 57 miles one day to complete it and bike the trail...he told me that he'd wanted to bike that section of trail for a few years. I've also done an 18 mile round trip bike ride for one multi cache. And last week I did between 13 and 14 miles for 5 or 6 caches. It is a great way to find caches.

7d94662c-4b5d-49f2-9109-c02020bfe1d5.jpg

af576eb4-11bb-4d41-b5bf-b515f178b844.jpg

I've ridden 35+ miles to visit friends in the next town. Did it in about 3 hrs.

DSCN0745.jpg

I use a bicycle as my primary mode of transportation. So when I am out caching I am using it to get me from cache-to-cache.

Being as it is my primary mode of transportation I tend to keep it with me when I am out caching, but if I had to leave it in an area while I went looking. Then depending on whether or not it would take me out of sight of my bike or not I would lock it up.

This is what i do. Living in a small takes makes it seem very logical, especially since the gas prices are so high. The only way I would drive would be if it is too far.

I usually do not lock my bike up. I have a Trek 4300. The only reason I would lock it is if I am going inside somewhere where I will not be able to see it for an extended period of time.

Most of the time, there is no one around either so there is no need to lock it up.

I like to ride my bike to caches as well. Being in the suburbs of Chicago, you have to have planned route or carry a map for adjustments. Some of the streets do not have sidewalks or bikeways. And with traffic, you do not want to be riding on the street. I print from GSAK using the myGME macro.

If I am not city caching, I drive to forest preserves and cache along the bike routes within them. If I have to go off the trail, I carry my bike in for about 100 feet or so and lay the bike on its side. Heck, coming back I can get 40 feet away and not see my bike. Remember to take a waypoint where you leave your bike.

Actually in reality one is safer IF they are on the street with traffic.

What is it they're safer from if bike riders are in the traffic? I ride on streets and state roads a lot and I would prefer a bike path or sidewak - if it isn't being used by pedestrians. I've had a few bike wrecks and every oneof them, along with the close calls I've had, have been with traffic.

What is it they’re safer from if bike riders are in the traffic? I ride on streets and state roads a lot and I would prefer a bike path or sidewalk - if it isn’t being used by pedestrians. I’ve had a few bike wrecks and every one of them, along with the close calls I’ve had, have been with traffic.

Actually in the long run a cyclist IS safer riding with traffic on the streets. Statistics show this, those wrecks, and close calls that you’ve had are because drivers need to be educated that under the DMV (at least here in Florida) that bicycles are considered to be “motor” vehicles and as such they have just as much right to be on the street as they do. I am glad to hear that you give precedence to pedestrians to use the sidewalks. But sidewalks are for pedestrians, and bicyclists on sidewalks will cause more problems for pedestrians then they’ll prevent for themselves. That said, there are times where I too will ride the sidewalk rather then ride on the street.

As I too have had more then my fair share of close calls with ignorant motorists, as well as having ignorant motorists yelling obscenities at me. But I am not going to let it stop me from using a resource that I know I am allowed to use by law.

Also motorists are NOT looking for cyclists on the sidewalk, granted one could argue that they’re rarely looking for us regardless of where we ride. That not withstanding they are not looking for us on the sidewalks, nor are they looking for us on the sidewalks when we’re riding against traffic.

If your city doesn’t have an office for bicycle/pedestrian needs you need to suggest that they put on in place. We have one here in St. Pete, and I am in contact with the woman who heads it up on a regular basis. Letting her know which intersections need their sensors updated so that those of us who do ride bicycles can trip them.

Work to have a law (if one doesn’t already exist) to have bike lanes added to all new roads built, as well as to all roads that are widened/resurfaced. Let the politicians and civic leaders in your community know that bicyclists are there, and will be heard and that we have rights.

Bike paths (I presume you’re talking RR to bike/pedestrian paths/trails or similar conversions) are nice, but they don’t go everywhere that one on a bicycle wishes to go. I know this because when I go out the VA here in St. Pete, I ride the road for more then half of my trip. Then I am able to pick up the dedicated bike/pedestrian trail and take that out to the VA, where I once again have to switch back to the streets.

The only way to make things safe for everyone who wishes to use the road is through education. Don’t wait until there is a story on the news about a pedestrian or bicyclist involved in an automobile accident and one of the reporters to ask “How could this have been avoided?” Instead look around and see how conditions can be improved so that these “inevitable” accident’s DON’T happen in the first place.

And that starts with educating motorists that bicyclists have just as much right to be on the road as they do.

What is it they’re safer from if bike riders are in the traffic? I ride on streets and state roads a lot and I would prefer a bike path or sidewalk - if it isn’t being used by pedestrians. I’ve had a few bike wrecks and every one of them, along with the close calls I’ve had, have been with traffic.

Actually in the long run a cyclist IS safer riding with traffic on the streets. Statistics show this, those wrecks, and close calls that you’ve had are because drivers need to be educated that under the DMV (at least here in Florida) that bicycles are considered to be “motor” vehicles and as such they have just as much right to be on the street as they do. I am glad to hear that you give precedence to pedestrians to use the sidewalks. But sidewalks are for pedestrians, and bicyclists on sidewalks will cause more problems for pedestrians then they’ll prevent for themselves. That said, there are times where I too will ride the sidewalk rather then ride on the street.

As I too have had more then my fair share of close calls with ignorant motorists, as well as having ignorant motorists yelling obscenities at me. But I am not going to let it stop me from using a resource that I know I am allowed to use by law.

Also motorists are NOT looking for cyclists on the sidewalk, granted one could argue that they’re rarely looking for us regardless of where we ride. That not withstanding they are not looking for us on the sidewalks, nor are they looking for us on the sidewalks when we’re riding against traffic.

If your city doesn’t have an office for bicycle/pedestrian needs you need to suggest that they put on in place. We have one here in St. Pete, and I am in contact with the woman who heads it up on a regular basis. Letting her know which intersections need their sensors updated so that those of us who do ride bicycles can trip them.

Work to have a law (if one doesn’t already exist) to have bike lanes added to all new roads built, as well as to all roads that are widened/resurfaced. Let the politicians and civic leaders in your community know that bicyclists are there, and will be heard and that we have rights.

Bike paths (I presume you’re talking RR to bike/pedestrian paths/trails or similar conversions) are nice, but they don’t go everywhere that one on a bicycle wishes to go. I know this because when I go out the VA here in St. Pete, I ride the road for more then half of my trip. Then I am able to pick up the dedicated bike/pedestrian trail and take that out to the VA, where I once again have to switch back to the streets.

The only way to make things safe for everyone who wishes to use the road is through education. Don’t wait until there is a story on the news about a pedestrian or bicyclist involved in an automobile accident and one of the reporters to ask “How could this have been avoided?” Instead look around and see how conditions can be improved so that these “inevitable” accident’s DON’T happen in the first place.

And that starts with educating motorists that bicyclists have just as much right to be on the road as they do.

I agree with most of what you said, howver, WHILE those motorists are being educated or to avoid the dangerous ones who have no intention of being educated, I sometimes take to sidewalks in very heavy trafficked areas to make it easier to avoid those accidents that shouldn't happen.

The local authorities are making some progress but, as you pointed out, more needs done. In the meantime, if I have to do a couple blocks on a sidewalk to avoid rush hour traffic and I can see sometimes as much as a mile ahead that no pedestrians are using the sidewalk, I have no problem using it even though I have a right to the road. Just takes one ignorant motorist to violate that right.

Illinois did just pass a law within the last month or two mandating a 3 foot clearance for bicyclists when a car passes, however a police officer went by me yesterday only a couple feet away from me. I will let the city know, of course.

police are sometimes less than useful in educating motorists. a local biker was recently run off the road because he had mased someones dog who was attacking him. The police had no way of proving that the owner of the truck was the driver since the bicyclist didn't see his face so there couldn't be a prosecution. So, that driver now thinks it's right to do that.

anyway, wish I'd been bicycling in St. Pete the last few months instead of up here shivering.

I agree with most of what you said, however, WHILE those motorists are being educated or to avoid the dangerous ones who have no intention of being educated, I sometimes take to sidewalks in very heavy trafficked areas to make it easier to avoid those accidents that shouldn’t happen.

I’m not faulting you that, as I’ve said when it comes to my safety I have, will, and do the same thing. It’s just that it’d be nice IF we didn’t have to. It's the one's who don't/won't be educated that we really need to watch out for.

The local authorities are making some progress but, as you pointed out, more needs done. In the meantime, if I have to do a couple blocks on a sidewalk to avoid rush hour traffic and I can see sometimes as much as a mile ahead that no pedestrians are using the sidewalk, I have no problem using it even though I have a right to the road. Just takes one ignorant motorist to violate that right.

I agree whole heartily with you. There are two sayings that ring VERY true. They are:

The right of way does a dead man little good.

and

If I place myself at risk, that’s one thing. If someone else places me at risk that’s another thing.

Illinois did just pass a law within the last month or two mandating a 3 foot clearance for bicyclists when a car passes, however a police officer went by me yesterday only a couple feet away from me. I will let the city know, of course.

I’d read an article in a bickering magazine that had given me the impression that that was the law in all states, save Ks where the law is 4’. Also in Ks, when one renews their drivers license they have to answer a bicycle related question.

police are sometimes less than useful in educating motorists. a local biker was recently run off the road because he had mased someone's dog who was attacking him. The police had no way of proving that the owner of the truck was the driver since the bicyclist didn’t see his face so there couldn’t be a prosecution. So, that driver now thinks it’s right to do that.

Was the person who ran him off the road the owners of the dog? That is until he picks the wrong cyclist to mess with. I understand that, up in Clearwater we had an officer ticket and/or arrest a cyclist who had made a left hand turn from (get this) the left hand turn lane... It was of course dismissed when it reached court, but it should never have happened in the first place.

anyway, wish I’d been bicycling in St. Pete the last few months instead of up here shivering.

I totally understand that, which is why I prefer Florida to anywhere else.

I agree with most of what you said, however, WHILE those motorists are being educated or to avoid the dangerous ones who have no intention of being educated, I sometimes take to sidewalks in very heavy trafficked areas to make it easier to avoid those accidents that shouldn’t happen.

I’m not faulting you that, as I’ve said when it comes to my safety I have, will, and do the same thing. It’s just that it’d be nice IF we didn’t have to. It's the one's who don't/won't be educated that we really need to watch out for.

I agree whole heartily with you. There are two sayings that ring VERY true. They are:

The right of way does a dead man little good.

and

If I place myself at risk, that’s one thing. If someone else places me at risk that’s another thing.

I’d read an article in a bickering magazine that had given me the impression that that was the law in all states, save Ks where the law is 4’. Also in Ks, when one renews their drivers license they have to answer a bicycle related question.

police are sometimes less than useful in educating motorists. a local biker was recently run off the road because he had mased someone's dog who was attacking him. The police had no way of proving that the owner of the truck was the driver since the bicyclist didn’t see his face so there couldn’t be a prosecution. So, that driver now thinks it’s right to do that.

Was the person who ran him off the road the owners of the dog? That is until he picks the wrong cyclist to mess with. I understand that, up in Clearwater we had an officer ticket and/or arrest a cyclist who had made a left hand turn from (get this) the left hand turn lane... It was of course dismissed when it reached court, but it should never have happened in the first place.

anyway, wish I’d been bicycling in St. Pete the last few months instead of up here shivering.

I totally understand that, which is why I prefer Florida to anywhere else.

My understanding is that the bicyclist had reason to think the person who ran him off the road was the owner of the dog but couldn't "prove" it to the satisfaction of the local police.

Some places around here have gotten so bad with the dogs that people who organize rides and mark them around here have sometimes gone to spray painting on the roads something such as "Beware dogs" next to property where dogs who are a threat to cyclists live.

Have a great time cycling this year. I'd move down to many parts of Florida in a minute if I convince the other half.

My understanding is that the bicyclist had reason to think the person who ran him off the road was the owner of the dog but couldn’t “prove” it to the satisfaction of the local police.

Some places around here have gotten so bad with the dogs that people who organize rides and mark them around here have sometimes gone to spray painting on the roads something such as “Beware dogs” next to property where dogs who are a threat to cyclists live.

Have a great time cycling this year. I’d move down to many parts of Florida in a minute if I convince the other half.

That’s too bad, as it’s dog owners like that that give good dog owners a bad name.

Some warning is better then no warning. If you’re not a member of any of those groups maybe you should join them and get them to attend local planning meetings to let the local politicians/civic leaders know what y’all want/need in the way of bicycle amenities.

Just tell her that it’s warmer longer, winter/fall doesn’t last anywhere near as long as it does up north. And there are PLENTY of caches to be found down here. A lot of them I’m sure are bicycle accessible.

I do this all the time. It's a great way to cover large trail systems and can add a lot of adventure and some much needed diversions. I've got two bikes I use, depending on where I'm going. Not as nice as some that I have seen on this site, but they definitely get the job done.

100_0159.jpg

100_1489.jpg

Let’s be careful not to change the thread from geocaching on a bicycle. It’s not a debate about safety.

Thanks!

I'm sorry to have “strayed” but thought bike safety may be important in bike caching.

I’ve gotta agree with ya whether or not one is urban caching on a bike, or caching on a dedicated trail, or caching in a rural setting safety is something that should be something that everyone who is caching with a bike should be aware of.

Edited by Digital_Cowboy

DSCN0745.jpg

I have biked for a lot longer than I have cached. and now enjoy combining the two. I usually use my mountain bike that has the GPSr mount on the handlebars, with knobby tires. The rolling resistance is higher than on my road bike, but I figure I am getting a better workout.

I did a series this past March near Cocoa Beach, FL along some off road trails, and the bike saved me lots of time.

The longest caching ride I have done was a 60 mile round trip from a campground in Virginia, up to Washington DC.

These days of expensive gas make a bicycle much cheaper to operate.