Kid Section

I am sure this has been brought up many times before, but I would like to know how to go about doing the following to make it happen.

I would like to see an entire section devoted to Kid GeoCaching on geocaching.com. Kids these days need to be outside more and one way to do our little part as adults to beat the PS2, XBOX, Wii, Gameboy ect ect addiction is to make kids feel more welcome. Now in no way did I just imply that kids arent welcome here by any means but we could make it more kid friendly. When my kids wanna go GeoCaching they know how to do the search on the net, but then they need my help to filter which ones are at their ability. To knock out a few quick negative replies - yes, I monitor my kids on the net at all times, yes all kids should be monitored on the net, yes I am very active in my kids life yadda yadda. BUT I think kids would be very proud of themselves if Mom, Dad, Big Brother, Big Sister didnt have to help them with picking out caches for the day. If we had this kid friendly section then kids could set up the festivities for the day and take more of a self motivated leadership role at times.

I am sure that last paragraph makes for horrible reading but I think it gets my point across. My other idea is possibly for a kid friendly search selection or maybe a special icon to denote those caches for kids? I have more thoughts on this subject but will stop for now.

If someone could point me in the right direction on how to get this started I am more than willing to help out. I can make web sites (to a point) Anyways - thanks for any help anyone can offer me.

Of course GeoCaching.com could just make it happen easily Im sure ;):):D:D

You are right, it has been brought up before. The main stumbling block if I recall is the fact that websites that specifically target children have to comply with a lot of special laws, and require a higher level of supervision and accountability.

ok - so who knows where to find out about internet laws? I dont want a forum sections or anything like that - kid friendly cache page for searching or something. These are already on the site, and if thats the case - cant we just name it Family Friendly Cache's?

ok - so who knows where to find out about internet laws? I dont want a forum sections or anything like that - kid friendly cache page for searching or something. These are already on the site, and if thats the case - cant we just name it Family Friendly Cache's?

The Children's Online Privacy Act makes it difficult to provide special sections for children unless there is absolutely no collection of personal information. So sections "for" kids and such run into issues.

Beyond that, most caches are generally family friendly already, and often any full size cache in a park will be a good one to take a child to. So I'm not sure that any sort of kid friendly cache searching is needed. They simply are not hard to find.

sorry wrote mega long reply then the computer crashed :D

It was along the lines that one of the attributes is 'child friendly' can this not be used to do a PQ? (still use paper and index finger here keeps children busy on way to next GZ!)

My other concern that it was too specific and that, as previously pointed out, there is a duty of care here and that creating lists that facilitate those who should avoid 'child friendly' places such as schools, parks, local chicken/pizza shack is not condusive to anyones safety or wellbeing!

My children have all cached with me since we started way back last year...my youngest having done 130+ of my 150 finds with me(as she is too young to do home alone training!) and is an extremely enthusiastic geocacher who has asked for her own account! Now here in lies something that could easily be rectified by GC.com a family membership with facility to log one,two, three or all the accounts into one cache! (same as dropping coins) Those accounts would then need to have the added abilityb of becoming independent when the family member moves away from home! I know this one has been done to the death something about $ me thinks!

Best wishes with your endeavour anyway and if nothing else maybe you'll get a few ideas on how to PQ ....ummm but then again maybe those sorts of questions should be answered by the local geocachers who know you and not made public! going round in circles again tis a conundrum

happy geocaching

minxyy