Vista Hcx for geocaching

I am considering buying the Vista Hcx bundle on sale at REI. The unit would be primarily used for geocaching and hiking. Can someone tell me how much information can be transferred to the Vista from the cache page and/or from GSAK. ie: container type, size, difficulty, hint etc. Thanks!

I just bought that same bundle from REI. I'm very happy with it. It's a great deal. I use it for Geocaching and mountain biking. I'm pretty new to both activities so take my opinion w/ a grain of salt, but this seemed to be a good fit for both and it's smaller and lighter than most of the other ones w/ similar capabilities.

Vista will basically hold the cache ID, name and coordinates. But not description, hint, logs and so on. People generally use PDAs for those. You can pick one up cheap on eBay.

BTW, Vista HCx is a great little unit. Ms. Imajeep uses one and loves it.

Excellent. With GSAK you can do a lot.

I've made a macro that will send all cache to my GPSr and will display like this:

ASimpleCachTS85

So you got the cache name and T for Traditional, S for Smal, 8/2 = 4 for Difficulty and 5/2 = 2.5 for terrain

Then in the Notes I inserted the GC name and the hint. That's the best working method for me. I sometimes go paperless when I go somewhere without panning it and i works great.

Vista will basically hold the cache ID, name and coordinates. But not description, hint, logs and so on. People generally use PDAs for those. You can pick one up cheap on eBay.

BTW, Vista HCx is a great little unit. Ms. Imajeep uses one and loves it.

I chose the POI route. It is a bit different than geocache mode (unable to log POIs as found) but I can download at least 88 characters of information. Now my map shows caches with the actual icons for identification. The 35mm canister icon works great for micros.

Here is the thread I started. Etrex Vista HCx (POIs versus Geocache waypoints)

Sepfind, I hope you already made your decision, the sale ended yesterday.

Edited by Kit Fox

It's a great unit for caching.

I went the waypoint route, with a custom icon macro powered by GSAK to upload 1000 waypoints to the unit with custom icons for micro, evil micro, puzzle, regular size cache... etc etc.. and a limited set of info (GC number, D/T, last 4 finds etc). With custom icon styles, you lose the geocaching mode ability (well, unless you just set it to a particular cache icon style..so still sometimes useful). The waypoints appear on the map at all zoom levels (which used to be an issue), great for someone visual like me.

I also use POIs to maintain a set of databases of owned, found and place-to-hide POIs, which is great to have at hand at times.

Either way, top notch unit for caching. Very flexible.

edit: oops, i just saw Kit's post.. good thread there.

Edited by Maingray

I went the waypoint route, with a custom icon macro powered by GSAK to upload 1000 waypoints to the unit with custom icons for micro, evil micro, puzzle, regular size cache... etc etc.. and a limited set of info (GC number, D/T, last 4 finds etc). With custom icon styles, you lose the geocaching mode ability (well, unless you just set it to a particular cache icon style..so still sometimes useful). The waypoints appear on the map at all zoom levels (which used to be an issue), great for someone visual like me.

I also use POIs to maintain a set of databases of owned, found and place-to-hide POIs, which is great to have at hand at times.

Maingray,

Which Waypoint macro are you using?

Maingray,

Which Waypoint macro are you using?

A very similar set up to the one described here:

http://www.thepropers.com/geocaching/60Ser...stomSymbols.htm

..with a different symbol set and a corresponding GSAK macro for generating the symbols on "waypoint send to GPS" . But the process is the same as described in that link.

r

Also, the TOPO 2008 included with the bundle comes on DVD. I dont have a dvd on my computer. Can I use a friends computer to copy the dvd to a portable hard drive, then copy it from the portable to my hard drive? Or is the dvd copy protected?