76csx vs 60csx

I have looked at the comparison on Garmin and both of these units seem to have exactly the same capabilities. But most recommend the 60csx and little is said of the 76csx. I also note the 76 is selling for lower prices. Can somone tell me what the difference is?

I searched for this but could find nothing on it. I am looking for a gps and have kind of selected these two as prime candidates.

TIA.

Joe F. :D

They are VERY similar in terms of capabilities. Biggest differences I know of is:

Button Location - 76CSx has the buttons on top while the 60CSx has the buttons underneath the screen.

Size - 76CSx is a little "bigger" because of how things are arranged. I think they have similar height

Buoyancy - The 76CSx will float with the batteries in, the 60CSx is at best neutrally buoyant depending on the batteries.

I like the feel of the 76CSx in my hand better, and it floats since I use it while kayaking. But here is a good thread about the two. The guts are nearly identical. Find both and see what you like best in your hand, and if you want the buttons above or below the screen.

Here is thread on the comparison between the two

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...p;hl=comparison

Hardee har har.

Seriously, As the previous poster has stated there are 4 differences:

1. Size/Shape

2. button Placement

3. Bouyancy (or lack thereof)

4. The size of the micro-SD card that comes with the unit (64 mb vs 128 mb)

ETA: The biggest difference appears to be marketing. The 60CSx is marketed for outdoor use (hiking, biking, hunting) whereas the 76CSx is marketed to marine use.

Edited by CenTexDodger

I have looked at the comparison on Garmin and both of these units seem to have exactly the same capabilities. But most recommend the 60csx and little is said of the 76csx. I also note the 76 is selling for lower prices. Can somone tell me what the difference is?

I searched for this but could find nothing on it. I am looking for a gps and have kind of selected these two as prime candidates.

TIA.

Joe F. :D

Adding to what the others have already posted:

I have used both a 76CS (yes, non 'x') and a 60CSx. I also prefer the button placement of the 76 series (and your hand does NOT cover the screen when pressing buttons). Since I already have the auto mount for the 76CSx and prefer the button placement, I have ordered a 76CSx and am waiting for its arrival. Internally, the 60CSx and the 76CSx are the same unit. To me, the 60CSx does look "cooler".

I am both a hiker and a paddler. I am very happy with the GPSMap 76CSx. I would add one other difference between the 60CSx and the 76CSx. There have been reports on this forum about difficulties using lithium ion E2 type batteries in the 60CSx. I bushwhack a lot in the winter in the Adirondacks and lithium batteries are essential. I have never had a problem using Lithium E2 type batteries in the 76CSx. One other difference is that the display is slightly recessed in the 76CSx compared to the 60Csx and therefore a little more protected against scratching. Some people claim that the quad helix antenna used in both 60CSx and the 76CSx is more efficient in the horizontal plane (76Csx) then vertical (60CSx). While this maybe true, the signal acquisition efficiency of the SIRFstar III receiver chip used in both units is so good, any differences in the antennae is likely to be inconsequential.

76CSx has a wider display by 0.1" over 60CSx. Same height, pixel count and color depth. Not much to shout about.

I started caching with the 76CSx last year. I bought a 400t in March and use it for most of my caching now but there are features from the 76CSx that I miss.

One thing not mentioned here so far is that the micro-CD card mount is different in the two units. I have only used the 60CSx, so don't have direct knowledge of the 76CSx, but my impression is that on the 76CSx insertion and removal of the card is easier.