Advice sought: Repainting an ammo can

Crid

I bought some ammo cans a while back on eBay. I'm getting ready to use the first one for a cache but I'm not sure how to go about repainting it.

Firstly, there is text on the can, which it's probably a good idea to remove. I tried emery(sp?) paper and it does come off slowly, but I was also getting down to base metal. Is there an easier way to remove it?

Secondly, what's best for painting it? I'm guessing spray paint of some description (green or brown, obviously). Would car paint be a bad idea? (It's glossy, for one thing). If a different kind of paint is more appropriate, what kind of store should I be looking in? (I'm in the UK, btw).

I believe most people just paint over the text.

Personally I like to make it a project.

I take a hand drill with a wire wheel brush and scour as much paint off as possible.

I then use naval jelly to remove any rust. Wash everything off and let it dry.

Then I spray it with a rust proof primer. (Brown)

Once it’s dry I coat it with an enamel spray paint. (Green) (Usually the Rust-Oleum brand)

I used paint stripper to remove the text, worked GREAT and left the ammo can green color.

Not sure about painting it, I'd guess any paint for metals would work just fine - maybe Rustoleum since it will be out in the wild so to speak. Automotive paint should be fine and generally isn't overly shiny unless coated with clear.

Here's my reply from an old thread:

I never remove the old paint or sand or anything. I use three colors of Rustoleum camo paint.

1. I first spray over the lettering and any rusty areas using 'army green'. This basically will leave you with a completely green ammo can.
  2. Next I place leafy twigs on the box (typically) from a 'burning bush' shrub in our back yard.
  3. Spray diagonal lines of paint, using 'earth brown'. Neatness doesn't count. The lines shouldn't ber straight and you are not going for coverage.
  4. Rearrange the twigs and spray diagonal lines of paint, using 'khaki' between the brown lines. (This will give your camo a layered look that will further break up the shape.)
  5. Allow the paint to dry (mostly) and turn the box to another side.
  6. Repeat steps 2-4, trying to get like colors to meet at the corners. This will also help break up the shape.
  7. Repeat step 6 until all sides are painted.

Set this box in a shady area under a bush and it will mostly disappear.

26a30e43-0ca7-44d7-b3b9-9e40fdd5fc58.jpg

I don't sand off the military markings- just paint over. I start by spraying the box white- inside & out. Then I use a stencil with geometric shapes cut out of it and spray the next color moving the stencil around the box randomly, using darker & darker colors.

The colors you pick should match the surrounding area where it will be placed. In my area it is desert so I use flat White, Yellows, and dark Greens.

I suppose in the UK you will use many shades of green...Perhaps simulating large blades of grass in your stencil? Depends on the foilage where you place it.

I get cans of spray paint from the local hardware store...Also Google "camo painting."

Just spray paint it in flat colors. If I can find it, I use camo color paint, but it's rarely available in my area so I use flat black and brown primer on top of a dark flat, or texturized green spraypaint.

Sometimes I use a leaf to create a pattern, but more often I just use random squirts. It doesn't have to be pretty, just hard to see.

Here is and example opf both. The leaf pattern in front and random squirts in the back.

edf83031-10c3-4391-a24b-3d5a3883dbc0.jpg

For hides among the rocks sometimes I use a Fleckstone paint

9214b50d-bded-485c-8153-d088a90852e6.jpg

Acetone from Home Depot removes the yellow marking in seconds. It also "dulls" the green paint but does not remove it. Just pour a little acetone on an old rag.

I started repainting them but now I just rub off the letters and leave them green. Except, if they're going inside some place dark, I'll paint them flat black.

I lightly sand the whole outside of the box - I wouldn't worry about totally removing the yellow lettering as you'll be painting over it anyway. My boxes end up pretty much like sbell's except I use darker colors and the "Official Geocache" stencils that Brian uses. Google Sissy-n-Cr to buy some of those.

One additional thing I do to ammo cans - I thoroughly clean out the inside of the can and paint it. Bright colors like lime green or safety orange make for a nice surprise when a cacher opens the can, and the swag doesn't get a dirty as fast too.

Awhile back I painted a can cream color and sponge painted brightly colored insects on it. My artwork was pretty terrible, but it was amusing.

Obviously I was not worried about cammo where I hid it!

Anyway, I normally just rub a bit of sandpaper on the can, spray it once with primer, and then spray it again with the color of my choice.

If the current paint coverage is good, I just thoroughly wash/rinse/dry the containers before repainting. I paint over the markings. Obliterating the ammo markings is extremely important so that your cache is not confused as being a Hazardous Material. I'm an Ammunition Inspector and write up this type of ammo can misuse by the military all the time. I use Krylon Camo Spray Paint. Most Wal-Marts have this. It's flat and comes in all of the camo colors. Use 2 or 3 colors for good camo. Several light coats will work better than one heavy coat. Try to start out with ammo cans in good shape so maintainance will be easier later.

Thank you for the replies. Some good tips there. I particularly like the look of the pics from sbell111 and EScout. And I also like the idea of painting the inside of the box in an interesting colour. Now to see how well I can actually do it. :blink:

I sand a bit, using either a green Scotch Brite bad or coarse sandpaper. Then, I break out the camo spray paint. I use some leaves from a nearby tree, usually. I have been playing with a couple stencils to see how that works, but I've not been impressed, yet.

Here's a couple links that I've found on the subject:

Forum Topic on the subject

Another Page on the subject

Just a note, try to make sure that the colors you are using appear in the area. I'd avoid using khaki if ground isn't sandy, or 'army green' if it's going into a rock pile, etc. The best camo job is worthless if the colors aren't right.

And please, make sure to mark the outside of the container. You have no idea how much trouble you can cause if you don't.

I bought a can of Camo spray paint and spray over it. Takes 10 seconds to cover up any and all military markings, and works great.

Then slap on a Geocaching sticker or stencil on something about geocaching and toss it out into the woods. Voila! A Geocache.