How do you find Point-to-Point Distance/Directions ?

I have City Navigator North America 2008 loaded on my HCx and have no problem getting turn-by-turn, distance & directions from my current location to an address.

However, I cannot figure out how to find distance or directions from one place to another, if I'm not located at one of the query locations.

I'd like to know how far it is from one city to another city (when I'm not physically at one of those cities) without having to go to my computer and using yahoo maps or mapquest.

Can this be done with a Garmin eTrex Vista HCx gps?

Thanks,

:D

I have City Navigator North America 2008 loaded on my HCx and have no problem getting turn-by-turn, distance & directions from my current location to an address.

However, I cannot figure out how to find distance or directions from one place to another, if I'm not located at one of the query locations.

I'd like to know how far it is from one city to another city (when I'm not physically at one of those cities) without having to go to my computer and using yahoo maps or mapquest.

Can this be done with a Garmin eTrex Vista HCx gps?

Thanks,

:D

You sort of have to trick it to get it to do what you want. (this trick works with a 60CSx so I assume it work with a Vista)

First, turn the GPS receiver off. Then on the Satellite screen, change the location to the place you want to route from. Then put the unit in "Demo" mode. Then tell the unit to route. That seems to work and give what you are looking for.

On my Nuvi I was told how to do this but I forgot so I cheat.

I pick one of the places (the farthest one) as my destination and the other place as a via point.

Then I either ignore the part about going from where I am to the via point or actually run the Nuvi forward to the via point and go from there.

Crude and rude but I can remember this.