Colorado Map sets

you can have 4 different map-files at the same time (tested)

sorry - info in german language

http://www.naviboard.de/vb/showthread.php?t=25706

Wo können die Karten liegen?

Intern SD (SD = externe Speicherkarte)

gmapbmap.img gmapbmap.img *) wahlweise (SD hat Vorrang)ist normalerweise die DEM im internen Speicher !!!

gmapprom.img gmapprom.img *)wahlweise (SD hat Vorrang)

gmapsupp.img gmapsupp.img beide imgs werden gleichzeitig genommen

*)

Es gibt Berichte, daß gmapbmap.img + gmapprom.img nur intern laufen.

http://www.naviboard.de/vb/showpost....80&postcount=5

man kann also 4 IMG gleichzeitig drauf haben und anzeigen lassen

Beispiel:

intern:\Garmin\gmapbmap.img DEM default

intern:\Garmin\gmapprom.img beispielsweise Worldmap 4.0

intern:\Garmin\gmapsupp.img beispielsweise Selbstdefinierte Karten oder MS-zusammengestellte-Karten

extern:\Garmin\gmapsupp.img beispielsweise Selbstdefinierte Karten oder MS-zusammengestellte-Karten

You have to install them all at the same time. If you install one map set then install another it will overwrite the first map set.

In Mapsource select all the maps you want from the first type. Then use the dropdown to select the next map type and select all the maps from that type that you want. When you have all the different maps selected upload them all at once.

After you get them loaded you can select which one you want displayed. They will not all display at once, ie you won't get topo lines on your road maps.

You have to install them all at the same time. If you install one map set then install another it will overwrite the first map set.

In Mapsource select all the maps you want from the first type. Then use the dropdown to select the next map type and select all the maps from that type that you want. When you have all the different maps selected upload them all at once.

After you get them loaded you can select which one you want displayed. They will not all display at once, ie you won't get topo lines on your road maps.

Ah this is the info I needed....thanks...

you can have 4 different map-files at the same time (tested)

sorry - info in german language

http://www.naviboard.de/vb/showthread.php?t=25706

Wo können die Karten liegen?

Intern SD (SD = externe Speicherkarte)

gmapbmap.img gmapbmap.img *) wahlweise (SD hat Vorrang)ist normalerweise die DEM im internen Speicher !!!

gmapprom.img gmapprom.img *)wahlweise (SD hat Vorrang)

gmapsupp.img gmapsupp.img beide imgs werden gleichzeitig genommen

*)

Es gibt Berichte, daß gmapbmap.img + gmapprom.img nur intern laufen.

http://www.naviboard.de/vb/showpost....80&postcount=5

man kann also 4 IMG gleichzeitig drauf haben und anzeigen lassen

Beispiel:

intern:\Garmin\gmapbmap.img DEM default

intern:\Garmin\gmapprom.img beispielsweise Worldmap 4.0

intern:\Garmin\gmapsupp.img beispielsweise Selbstdefinierte Karten oder MS-zusammengestellte-Karten

extern:\Garmin\gmapsupp.img beispielsweise Selbstdefinierte Karten oder MS-zusammengestellte-Karten

That same information is captured here, in my broken English!

GO$Rs

But how do we get these different mapsets to show correctly? When I have City Navigator NT maps loaded it turns off my ability to see the contour lines on my topo map (in the geocaching profile). I see the shading but the lines are much better for judging terrain. I know I could simply turn the City Navigator maps off but then the basemap roads are way way off. Also when in automotive mode it would be nice to show the topo map as well.

edit: Lol .. I may have found the answer in the above link.

rdit #2: Well no. I still don't know how to set maps to transparent. Any suggestions?

Edited by themeecer

You can only see one map at a time. Seeing multiple maps at once would be VERY confusing as the information would conflict and double up....

What YOU want is a transparent map containing contours only. That "could" be made, but does not exist for the US.

The above link stated this:

If you have City Navigator loaded one nice trick is to enable both Topo 2008 and City Navigator. If you enable transparent maps in this situation you can see the relief shading but since City Navigator is not transparent and is layered over Topo 2008 the vector data from the Topo 2008 maps is hidden. As a result you get a very clean view of the transparent maps over City Navigator with DEM shading provided by Topo2008..

So that makes me think it is possible. Heck it needs to be possible. It's absolutely ridiculous that I can choose to either have accurate road maps or accurate topo maps (beyond the simple shading), but not both of them at the same time. Our colorados are powerhouses and shouldn't have any problem with this.

If you have City Navigator loaded one nice trick is to enable both Topo 2008 and City Navigator. If you enable transparent maps in this situation you can see the relief shading but since City Navigator is not transparent and is layered over Topo 2008 the vector data from the Topo 2008 maps is hidden. As a result you get a very clean view of the transparent maps over City Navigator with DEM shading provided by Topo2008..

So that makes me think it is possible. Heck it needs to be possible. It's absolutely ridiculous that I can choose to either have accurate road maps or accurate topo maps (beyond the simple shading), but not both of them at the same time. Our colorados are powerhouses and shouldn't have any problem with this.

It is possible, if you make your own.

3c2c6e2a-7efc-4617-a682-4488fe8d3ff4.jpg

Edited by Klatch

The title of this FAQ is confusing "M8.) How do transparent maps look on top of Topo 2008?"

I'll change it to "M8.) How do custom transparent maps look on top of Topo 2008?"

I don't believe that any of the off-the-shelf Garmin maps are transparent.

So what you ask is possible just not with Topo2008 and CityNav. Nor would you want it to with these map sets. If you could see both at the same time it would be very confusing because you would see vector data from both map sets. Like Red90 said what you really want is a transparent topo map of the entire US that you can layer over City Nav.

Then again switching maps back and forth on the CO is really easy -- one of the few places Garmin actually reduced the number of key presses to get something done.

GO$Rs

Results depend of "Draw map priority" (you can decide in process of preparing map), presentation on different levels, and map settings in GPSr.

Sometimes very useful:

aa82md2.pngaa265jx0.png

Here you have topo paper map scaned and vectorized + vector topo map + my waypoints. On right you see vector topo map alone. Visualizatio nof both maps together is useful in checking position error of both maps (assuming waypoints as refference).

Some maps work together in unpredictable way:

cc107ja9.jpgc413pe2.jpg

Topo map together with scan of satellite photo of lake. Depending of zoom you see lake blue or brown, you can see that in some places green and blue areas and lines overlays scan.

My shallow water (1,2m depth) line transparent map (only that red line) over topo map.

aa244mp5.jpg

Transparent kilometer grid map (only lines and numbers) together with another maps. Very useful when you correlate your position on paper map.

slo5oi1.jpgslon3dr6.jpg

Forest topo map with and without transparent kilometer grid map:

puwgcpr4.pnga465pv4.png

Scanned and vectorized paper topo map + tourist trail map (red trail) together on screen:

mapwelefekt212az6.png

One problem: Colorado has very simple and primitive system of activating maps (mapsets) - comparing to 60CSx, where you see and can activate segments of map.

Christopher

Edited by sokolo0

The title of this FAQ is confusing "M8.) How do transparent maps look on top of Topo 2008?"

I'll change it to "M8.) How do custom transparent maps look on top of Topo 2008?"

I don't believe that any of the off-the-shelf Garmin maps are transparent.

What is crazy is that the colorado is smart enough to default the proper map set to view on the proper profile. If I switch to recreation I get the Topo, If I switch to automotive I get the City Navigator. I currently run 3 maps. One is a transparent map just showing the snowmobile trails in Michigan. I leave all 3 maps on all the time. The trails will show up on city navigator and on topo.

So what you ask is possible just not with Topo2008 and CityNav. Nor would you want it to with these map sets. If you could see both at the same time it would be very confusing because you would see vector data from both map sets. Like Red90 said what you really want is a transparent topo map of the entire US that you can layer over City Nav.

Then again switching maps back and forth on the CO is really easy -- one of the few places Garmin actually reduced the number of key presses to get something done.

GO$Rs

Scanned and vectorized paper topo map + tourist trail map (red trail) together on screen:

I want to create a transparent tourist trail map (to display over my Topo Map)

The "tourist trails" I can export as route or track into a gpx file.

In GPSMapEdit (not yet registred) I import these file(s),

transform the routes to a polyline and delete the waypoints.

The LineTypes are predefined from 0x01 to 0x2b.

The 0x16 Walkway trail gives just a thin black dashed line.

Is there a way to create custom line types visible in mapsource and on the colorado?

Is it another predefined type visible as red dashed line on the colorado?

Try Mapwel ( Objects > User defined Styles). You can establish map draw priority and transparency in that programme.

http://www.mapwel.biz/

-----------------------------------

MapEdit

That red line from my screenshots is "runway" edited in MapEdit.

Visualisation in MapEdit and in receiver:

Look here (point 11, 12, 13, 14, 15): http://v-dorogu.narod.ru/article/mapscreate.htm

Here point 12: http://v-dorogu.narod.ru/article/lines.htm - first column in GPSMapEdit, second column visualisation in Etrex Legend and Vista.

Here lines in receivers with colour display : http://v-dorogu.narod.ru/article/lines_clr.htm

Is is in Russian, but don't worry look only at table.

Christopher

Edited by sokolo0

If I have Topo and City what will I see? Does it pay to by both?

Thanks

You will see one or the other and you have the ability to select which you want to see.

You'll need City Nav if you want to do turn-by-turn routes.

Topo has topographic details like a paper topo map that can be helpful while navigating off road.

GO$Rs

When I jump in the car I enable City Nav to autoroute to parking and once I arrive at parking I switch over to Topo to find a cache/hike/bike/run, etc. Once I'm back in the car I enable City Nav to get where I'm going next.

Once (if?) Garmin ever ties the map selection settings to the active profile this will become as simple as switching profiles.

GO$Rs