Mt. Adams anyone?

Love

For Rainier training I'm doing a lot of hiking and I've been looking at Mt. Adams as a training climb. I'd like to do the South Spur as a day hike possibly over Memorial Day weekend. I have heard that there's still a lot of snow in the area and getting to the trailhead has been tough. Does anyone know the status of it or think it will be easy to access by Memorial Day weekend? Would it be better to wait and do it later in the season? If it looks good, I'd love having some company. :huh:

I think an old virtual (GC8D7C) is enough to make the climb worthwhile. ;)

I haven't climbed Adams yet, but I plan to in 2011 (long story) and have done a lot of research.

Everybody that has climbed it -- and this includes truly studly mountain rats -- tells me I would be crazy to do the whole thing in one day. It's 7000 feet of elevation gain, and a good deal of that is spent high enough that altitude sickness can kick in (because of the low air pressure.)

If nothing else, spend the previous night at the trailhead, at 5000 feet elevation, to get some acclimation.

I've seen people doing it in a day, they were still climbing the steep part when I was coming down. At that time of the day the snow is too loose and it makes climbing a lot tougher. I climbed up to just below lunchcounter and camped there ( at about 8000'). Got up and on my way by 5am. At that time the snow was solid and crampons were a big help and safety factor. I summitted twice and did the same both times. I tried a couple of time before that with friends, but discovered if I wanted to get to the top I best go alone, which I did.

The road to timberline is not good. Big potholes and rocks to drive around but a car can make it if a bit careful.

I don't know what present conditions are, I would think it a bit early. I don't recall exactly what the dates were But I recall it was 112 degrees when I got down around Trout lake or a bit south of there.

Not technical at all, but ice axe and crampons recomended, both for the early start and there was also a large patch of ice going up the true summit.

This is good information - keep it coming! :D

I will definitely plan to camp at least near the trailhead the night before, if not make it part way up. Still considering all the options.

I have heard that the trail is a bit tricky to follow (or that it's non existent after a while?) on the South Spur route. Does anyone have any advice on keeping with the trail?

First a basic view. Just follow that ridge to the right all the way up to the false summit, where you say "Oh my God, another mountain still to go!" and continue to the top:

Adams97_aerial_adams_august_debris_avalanche_09-08-97_med.jpg

Basically as my rusty memory serves, you park, then follow a road up to timberline at the base of the mountain proper(1). As you approuch you will be faced with a bit of a bowl or cirque, with a ridge to the left. You need to mount that ridge and follow it up and it will bring you to the lunch counter, where the real mountain begins(2). From there it is straight up the snow field with a rocky outcrop on the left most of the way to the false summit where the real mountain(3) is displayed before you. after a short level piece the way is up as looks best to you to the top. The top is somewhat flat and you can wander over and look off to the east but the terrain may be well suncupped. To the north it drops down some where you may see yellowish sulfur deposits.

What else? At the false summit, just to the east there may be some cravasses so watch out for that.

Edited by EraSeek

First a basic view. Just follow that ridge to the right all the way up to the false summit, where you say "Oh my God, another mountain still to go!" and continue to the top:

Adams97_aerial_adams_august_debris_avalanche_09-08-97_med.jpg

Basically as my rusty memory serves, you park, then follow a road up to timberline at the base of the mountain proper(1). As you approuch you will be faced with a bit of a bowl or cirque, with a ridge to the left. You need to mount that ridge and follow it up and it will bring you to the lunch counter, where the real mountain begins(2). From there it is straight up the snow field with a rocky outcrop on the left most of the way to the false summit where the real mountain(3) is displayed before you. after a short level piece the way is up as looks best to you to the top. The top is somewhat flat and you can wander over and look off to the east but the terrain may be well suncupped. To the north it drops down some where you may see yellowish sulfur deposits.

What else? At the false summit, just to the east there may be some cravasses so watch out for that.

:lol:B) Well... if thats all you gotta do, you can sign me up! :blink::ph34r:

I did it in one day back in September 1995, but it was a long day. There was a little less snow than seen in the photo that EraSeek posted above. We got a late start and left camp at Cold Creek at around 8:00 AM. We were about 2/3 of the way back down when the sun set, which made for pretty views of Mt. St. Helens framed in red, but meant that we were finishing up in complete darkness. This was in the days of Selective Availability so I was not running GPS, but I wished we had, as we ended up dropping down the wrong snowfield in the dark and ended up having to climb back up and over to the correct one. We were pretty tired when we got back to camp, which was around 9:00 PM or so.

I would definitely be interested in a return trip!

A few years ago we climbed Mt. Adams in a day. We camped at the campground at the trail head the night before and got started hiking at about 6AM. It took several hours to get to the top but we brought light-weight roll-up sleds with us and went sledding back down the mountain, using our ice axes to steer. I think we were able to sled about 2/3 of the way back down so going down was MUCH faster than going up. I'd highly recommend bringing the roll-up sleds. It was alot of fun.

We did it much later in the year--July. So there was no snow until we were part way up the mountain. The road getting to the campground is a bit rough anyway and with the amount of snow we've had this year I'd think the snow would still be pretty deep on the road to the campground on Memorial Day weekend. I'd wait until summer.

The condition reports for Mt. Adams don't seem very good so now I need to figure out a backup plan. :laughing: Does anyone have information on Mt. St. Helens or something equally as challenging and accessible for this weekend?

I believe that St. Helens, at least the south side requires a hiking pass that are rather hard to get at the last minute. I don't know about any other route.

The condition reports for Mt. Adams don't seem very good so now I need to figure out a backup plan. :D Does anyone have information on Mt. St. Helens or something equally as challenging and accessible for this weekend?

Looks like access to Climber's Bivouac hike in only until June sometime.

Mount St. Helens Climbing Update

[Last Updated: 15 May 2008]

Winter / Spring Climbing Access is Limited: Record snowpack has formed large unstable cornices (snow overhangs) on the crater rim (please see climbing page and scroll down to cornice photo). Heavy snowfall has closed Forest Road 83 beyond Cougar Snopark (parking at Cougar SP is limited). Marble Mtn Snopark remains closed to a record snowpack. The snowpack may delay reopening of the road to Climber's Bivouac trailhead until as late as mid to late June. Spring climbers should note that closure of Forest Road 83 beyond Cougar Snopark adds 3-miles one-way distance and that climbing Mount St. Helens requires a multi-day climb. For the latest road and snopark information see winter recreation webpage.

2008 Climbing Permit Sales Begin February 1, 2008: Permits for the April 1 through October 31 climbing fee season are sold online, in-advance on a first-come, first-served basis through the Mount St. Helens Institute.

Climber's Register has been moved to the Lone Fir Resort, 16806 Lewis River Road, Cougar, WA. (360) 238-5210. Permits are required above 4800 foot elevation on the volcano year round. During the Nov 1 to March 31 winter climbing season permits are available at no charge by self-registration at the Climber's Register.