Anybody interested in End to Ending the Bruce?

M3J

I have decided to start my attempt at a Bruce Trail end to end starting in Niagara and trying to hit all the caches along the way. I am wondering if any cachers want to join me. Here are some of the points I need to consider though:

1) I have past injuries to my knees and feet so will likely need to start small...maybe 15 or so km a day...if you're a rocket hiker, I'll likely just slow you down...my goal is to get in better shape in part through this so hopefully as some of the weight comes off, I could do longer days

2) It would be best to drive in seperate vehicles, obviously, so we can park at each end of the planned hike for the day

3) I do not have every weekend free so would likely be able to manage a couple days at the end of May, one in June, a couple at the end of July, and am good for 3 of the august weekends. Once September hits, I am pretty free till the winter except for a couple weekends

I would think the best folks to join me would be just casual hikers and geocachers out for a few smileys.

Email me through my profile if you are interested. I would want to get started May 24.

2) It would be best to drive in separate vehicles, obviously, so we can park at each end of the planned hike for the day

While doing some of the caches on the Bruce Trails, that thought came to mind. (more than once) It's a real downer getting one section completed only to realize that we had to backtrack to get the van so we could get on with another series.

Next time we are planning a Bruce assault, we'll be in contact.

Hi M3J, not sure if you noticed my 3 BT Hike event caches over the past year, but my plan is to hike the entire Bruce Trail over 11 years (22 hikes). 2 hikes per year and each hike averaging around 40km or so. We just completed the Caledon Hills section (got my 2 badges yesterday) 2 weeks ago and we're tackling the Dufferin Hilands (All 53km+ of it) in October. I realize my hikes are more intense and spaced appart more than what you were planning, but maybe you'll be at the Dufferin Hilands section by October and would like to join us.

Here's a link to the most recent hike:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=gczzz4

And to our planned hikes in the future.

http://ca.geocities.com/geocachingcanada/BTHikeEvents.htm

I have decided to start my attempt at a Bruce Trail end to end starting in Niagara and trying to hit all the caches along the way.

Don't forget to record your track log on the way, and submit it to the National Trail Maps Project :D

Hi M3J, not sure if you noticed my 3 BT Hike event caches over the past year, but my plan is to hike the entire Bruce Trail over 11 years (22 hikes). 2 hikes per year and each hike averaging around 40km or so. We just completed the Caledon Hills section (got my 2 badges yesterday) 2 weeks ago and we're tackling the Dufferin Hilands (All 53km+ of it) in October. I realize my hikes are more intense and spaced appart more than what you were planning, but maybe you'll be at the Dufferin Hilands section by October and would like to join us.

Here's a link to the most recent hike:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=gczzz4

And to our planned hikes in the future.

http://ca.geocities.com/geocachingcanada/BTHikeEvents.htm

Hi Ralph,

I had thought about joining you guys on occasion but I just would not be able to keep up with you guys. My injuries plus my out-of-shapeness and it would never work. Maybe we'll be close enough at some point to see you guys on the trail!

Mike

I thought about doing something like this, but going solo on straight sections of trail doesn't work well!

I'd be in for some sections. I doubt I'd be able to make it too often during the summer, but I'd be able to park at one end for sure.

I'm more into photography and hiking than geocaching, but I enjoy all of it.

I thought about doing something like this, but going solo on straight sections of trail doesn't work well!

I'd be in for some sections. I doubt I'd be able to make it too often during the summer, but I'd be able to park at one end for sure.

I'm more into photography and hiking than geocaching, but I enjoy all of it.

I see you are new to gc.com. Welcome to our world!

You say you may be more into other things than geocaching...don't worry, you'll be addicted soon enough. Actually, you will find a good number of area cachers are big into photography too like myself, Fizbot, Northern Penguin, Res2100, and others. I'm sure I will be lugging my camera on the hikes.

Email me through my profile and I will keep you posted on the hike dates. So far it looks like a few of us will be heading out on the 24th for leg #1.

Mike

I'll be watching for the Limehouse -> Boston Mills section. I still need to finish that part as my knees took me out of commission on that hike, and I still want the end-to-end badge for that section [:huh:]

I can honestly say Greg that this section may be one of a few my knees regret. Maybe the plan at that point might be 1km a day!

I've been thinking of doing the end to end of the Bruce Trail starting this year and wouldn't mind teaming up with anyone interested in hiking during the week as apposed to weekends although some weekends are possible. I'm open to any distance and of course parking at both ends would be the way to go.

I've completed the hikes with res2100's groups but would be willing to do those sections again.

Let me know if there are any takers.

M3J what are your plans for the long weekend? Where are you starting, how many days are you hiking and how far are you planning to hike each day? I think I have that weekend open and may be able to join you.

For anyone interested, I was just on the Bruce Trail, Niagara Club page and there is an end-to-end hike of this section planned for this weekend all tree days, Sat May17, Sun and Mon. There is registration fee required of $30.00.

Contact # Fred Azzopardi (905)- 735-2345.

I've been thinking of doing the end to end of the Bruce Trail starting this year and wouldn't mind teaming up with anyone interested in hiking during the week as apposed to weekends although some weekends are possible. I'm open to any distance and of course parking at both ends would be the way to go.

I've completed the hikes with res2100's groups but would be willing to do those sections again.

Let me know if there are any takers.

M3J what are your plans for the long weekend? Where are you starting, how many days are you hiking and how far are you planning to hike each day? I think I have that weekend open and may be able to join you.

We're starting on the 24th. I am away for the long weekend. If you are free then, there are 4 of us so far starting from Niagara. Not sure yet how far we'll go...we're trying to hit 15km or so a day max for now just to get going.

Banjosmom and I would be interested in joining you for a few - we're slightly more than halfway through the trek at the moment. We tried the organized hikes through the BT, and they're far more intense than we are - we like to stop when we feel like it, take photos, see the wildlife, etc. Both of us have one problem knee (neither is a major deterrent), and wouldn't be interested in a marathon hike at anything more than a comfortable wander. Depending on the schedule, we'd love to do some hiking/caching.

We're starting on the 24th. I am away for the long weekend. If you are free then, there are 4 of us so far starting from Niagara. Not sure yet how far we'll go...we're trying to hit 15km or so a day max for now just to get going.

Anything further on your plans for the 24th? I may be able to join you.

Start time?

The terrain in the area is not too bad so you should be able to do the planned length with little problem.

Do you have a list of the caches that you plan to get?

What about start and finish points and where to park cars for shuttle service? Parking at the BT Cairn would be good for one end fairly large Parking lot. What about the other?

When we started hiking the Bruce, we did 20 to 26 kms in a day easily, and always stopped for a leisurely lunch midway. The terrain in the Niagara/Iroquois area is far easier than the terrain further north. We've settled to doing 12 to 16 kms in a day now.

Anything further on your plans for the 24th? I may be able to join you.

Start time?

The terrain in the area is not too bad so you should be able to do the planned length with little problem.

Do you have a list of the caches that you plan to get?

What about start and finish points and where to park cars for shuttle service? Parking at the BT Cairn would be good for one end fairly large Parking lot. What about the other?

Yes, there arer 4 of us heading out Saturday morning. We will have one car at the planned end point just outside of Woodend Conservation Area, one car halfway with the lunches in a cooler, and one at the cairn. I do have a bookmark list of the caches if you are joining us and want it. I am picking up the first team at the end point at 9am then the other at midway and parking at the cairn. We hope to get on the trail by 9:15 or so. Total distance for day 1 should only be about 16km, though we have talked about going another 3-5 depending on how we are doing after the 16.

Email me through my profile if you want to join us and I'll give you more details.