Ammonite Series Geocoins

Tethys C

With some luck and with many crossed fingers, these coins will be at GeoWoodstock VI.

Early in my caching career (a whole year ago :D ) I knew I wanted to create an ammonite coin - my favorite fossil. I was not so sure about how to go about this project, but with much help from Chris and Helen from Landsharkz and my wife C-side Girl, the project is near completion.

It was decided early on to create a set of four age specific ammonites along with paleogeographic maps showing the paleocontinent locations and the break up of Pangea together with creation of the Tethys Sea.

Professor Christopher R. Scotese (PaleoMaps) kindly allowed the use of his paleo-maps to help sketch out the maps you see on our coins. In return, he asked for a set of the coins (maybe a future geocacher :D ).

Seventy-five 4 coin sets (with 4 icons) will be available for $45/set from Landsharkz. They will have Antique Brass and Antique Silver versions - see my (still being created) GC Profile for additional images. The coins are up to 54mm at their widest and up to 5mm thick.

I will also have some of the versions above (for sale/trade/travel/give-away/donation) plus my special trade only Antique Copper version. A total of 250 sets have been made – 100AB – 100AS – 50AC.

I am very excited about this Ammonite Series of geocoins and hope you are as well. See you at GW-VI - hopefully with my coins. :D

Thanks to Chris for the pictures of the Antique Brass version below.

Samples-AntBrass-Landsharkz.jpg

Icons

yellow-32.gif

blue-32.gif

green-32.gif

orange-32.gif

Landsharkz Poster

Poster.jpg

Absolutely incredible! I love them! I've got an ammonite fossil that is probably about 7 or 8 inches across that I absolutely love, so I can understand your love if them, too!

Awesome coin, I would love to get one, especially the first one you posted, that is what mine looks like :D. Maybe I'll post a pic if I can come up with some spare energy tonight, I'm just tapped, though!

Naomi :D

TethysC brought these to our last Pizza and Beer night and I had a chance to see them (several times ;) ). As always pics do not do them justice. There is some really nice detail on the map side and they really are quite realistic in a metal sort of way!!! Glad they are finally on their way...it's been a long time coming!

Way to go Andrew!

WOW..great coins :D My teenage son, johnthesalty, is a rock-hound. He loves crystals, rocks, fossils and geodes. He likes to get the whole geodes and cut them open to see what is hidden inside. I wish I was coming to GW6 to get a copper set :D

Here are his ammonites compared to the size of a quarter:

l_92f42e7caebf5c01febe04fa1c27f01a.jpg

Excellent coinage!!! :D I see you mentioned where they will be being sold but not when. Do you know when? I cannot make it to GW 6 so I need to place this sale on my schedule... ;) I would love to discuss a trade of an antique copper set. :D

CF30

Glad you like them Sarah. It's going to be touch and go (I have faith) for the mint to have them shipped for GW-VI. If the coins don't make it to GW, Landsharkz will have 300 sets on their webpage soon after (once they recover from GW-VI :) ).

I'm sure we can discuss a copper trade. :D

Thanks everyone for having a look at our coins and the comments. Chris and Helen at Landsharkz really brought them to life. (even though they are fossils) :D

I'm a geologist and feel I am holding an actual ammonite fossil in my hand - until I turn it over and see the map etc. :D

Take care and hope to meet lots of cachers at GW-VI.

Andrew

Excellent coinage!!! :D I see you mentioned where they will be being sold but not when. Do you know when? I cannot make it to GW 6 so I need to place this sale on my schedule... ;) I would love to discuss a trade of an antique copper set. :D

CF30

Glad you like them Sarah. It's going to be touch and go (I have faith) for the mint to have them shipped for GW-VI. If the coins don't make it to GW, Landsharkz will have 300 sets on their webpage soon after (once they recover from GW-VI :) ).

I'm sure we can discuss a copper trade. :D

Thanks everyone for having a look at our coins and the comments. Chris and Helen at Landsharkz really brought them to life. (even though they are fossils) :D

I'm a geologist and feel I am holding an actual ammonite fossil in my hand - until I turn it over and see the map etc. :D

Take care and hope to meet lots of cachers at GW-VI.

Andrew

Ummmm Andrew.... we're selling 300 coins (75 sets), though we're happy to increase to 300 sets if you want :D - I've a feeling these 75 sets will be gone as fast as they get listed!

These coins were a labour of love for Chris and I. Chris studied Geology at UBC before switching to engineering so by using the incredibly cool files from Tethys C and Professor Scotese we were able to create technically perfect, engineer quality drawing specifications for the mint on each ammonite coin. I'm tempted to mount all 12 of the samples in a shadow box so they don't end up in the bottom of a lock n' lock.

Getting them for GW is going to be touch n' go. The factory is trying to achieve that goal and they will be shipped directly to Roseville, CA if they can ship by May 20th. We won't know for sure until much closer to the day. Fingers crossed for sure!

For the purists... Groundspeak ran the tracking numbers in the correct sequence so that the 4 icons will be in the correct order from oldest to newest on the listing of trackables.

Edited by Landsharkz

:D 300 coins isn't enough for 4 separate icons. Did some special deal get worked on these or am I missing something on the math?

BTW, Antique Silver set for me! Those are really nice!

First off - thanks Helen (Mrs. Landsharkz) for pointing out my math issues (that's why I'm a geologist and NOT an engineer) :D

SLS - I'll try to put in the correct numbers this time.

Landsharkz will have 75 sets in total (35 Ant.Silver + 40 Ant.Brass) to sell.

I will have 175 sets (65 Ant.Silver + 60 Ant.Brass and 50 of my trade only Ant.Copper).

Total coins 1000 - total sets 250. Prefix for the tracking numbers will be TC.

Probably another geo-math error in here. ;)

Have a great weekend everyone. Come on mint factory - you can do it!!

Thanks everyone for having a look at our coins and the comments. Chris and Helen at Landsharkz really brought them to life. (even though they are fossils)

Since I'm cleaning up my mistakes here - when I said 'they are fossils'...I did mean the coins....NOT Chris and Helen. :D:D;)

Landsharkz will have 75 sets in total (35 Ant.Silver + 40 Ant.Brass) to sell.

I will have 175 sets (65 Ant.Silver + 60 Ant.Brass and 50 of my trade only Ant.Copper).

Total coins 1000 - total sets 250. Prefix for the tracking numbers will be TC.

Thanks, that clears it up!

Any guesses when they will go on sale? This probably depends on when the mint can get done with them, doesn't it.

Thanks everyone for having a look at our coins and the comments. Chris and Helen at Landsharkz really brought them to life. (even though they are fossils)
Since I'm cleaning up my mistakes here - when I said 'they are fossils'...I did mean the coins....NOT Chris and Helen. :D:D:D

HAH!

I am curious if there have been any recent updates for these most awesome Geocoins. Are we still hoping they will make it to GeoWoodstock?

:)

Since I'm cleaning up my mistakes here - when I said 'they are fossils'...I did mean the coins....NOT Chris and Helen. :D:D:)

HAH!

I am curious if there have been any recent updates for these most awesome Geocoins. Are we still hoping they will make it to GeoWoodstock?

:)

Hey Team Snorkasaurus (are you still looking for that trade?) - I received an e-mail from Helen at Landsharkz stating that things are still on track for a May 19/20 delivery of the Ammonite Geocoins. Fingers still crossed.

The mint said the coins should be ready, but my sig.item Beaver Tag (below) won't be delivered until after GW-VI. Can't have everything - right. :D

BeaverTag.jpg

See you in about a week. :)

Hey Team Snorkasaurus (are you still looking for that trade?) - I received an e-mail from Helen at Landsharkz stating that things are still on track for a May 19/20 delivery of the Ammonite Geocoins. Fingers still crossed. [edited]
Thanks for the update Tethys C! E-mail sent...

:D

Thanks Team Snorkasaurus - first trade made for a copper set of ammonites. Now we just need the postal service to do their jobs. :D

Hey Team Snorkasaurus (are you still looking for that trade?) - I received an e-mail from Helen at Landsharkz stating that things are still on track for a May 19/20 delivery of the Ammonite Geocoins. Fingers still crossed. [edited]
Thanks for the update Tethys C! E-mail sent...
Thanks Team Snorkasaurus - first trade made for a copper set of ammonites. Now we just need the postal service to do their jobs. :D

SO

VERY

HAPPY

!!!

:D

Any news on these ones!

PL

Hey there PLnauta,

Helen at Landsharkz received confirmation that the coins have been shipped :D and should be at the GW-VI event. If Landsharkz sells out at the event, I'm sure we can arrange a trade or purchase for a set.

Andrew

Any news on these ones!

PL

Hey there PLnauta,

Helen at Landsharkz received confirmation that the coins have been shipped :D and should be at the GW-VI event. If Landsharkz sells out at the event, I'm sure we can arrange a trade or purchase for a set.

Andrew

That would be lovely please.

I am quite interested in buying a couple of sets if available. But i will grab anything you may be willing to trade or sell :D

Thank you

PL