Did you know the 'zoom in' button equals 'OK' in eTrex?

This has bugged me for so long. When using the keyboard to bring up a list of address to get to the name I have to scroll to the 'OK' button to leave the keyboard and scroll the list. Say goodbye to keyboard ok woes by using the 'zoom in' button to 'OK' a list.

This has bugged me for so long. When using the keyboard to bring up a list of address to get to the name I have to scroll to the 'OK' button to leave the keyboard and scroll the list. Say goodbye to keyboard ok woes by using the 'zoom in' button to 'OK' a list.

... or if you're like me and can never remember which is 'zoom in' and which is 'zoom out', just hit the quit/page key. Does the same thing.

... or if you're like me and can never remember which is 'zoom in' and which is 'zoom out', just hit the quit/page key. Does the same thing.

On my 76CS "quit" works for waypoints, but not for searching an address. If I press "quit" it returns to the beginning of the alphabet on the name searches and erases the previously entered numbers on the numbers search. (and the "in" button doesn't do anything...bummer)

Yes, I know the 60CSx did this which is why I went searching for an equivalent button on the Vista HCx, (not sure how many other etrex this works for).

Also unlike the counterintuitive button layout on the 60CSx the Zoom 'in' button on the HCx is closer to you and the zooom out is further away, easy to remember.

On my 76CS "quit" works for waypoints, but not for searching an address. If I press "quit" it returns to the beginning of the alphabet on the name searches and erases the previously entered numbers on the numbers search. (and the "in" button doesn't do anything...bummer)

Use the Page button. It's the same as clicking OK on the ouija board interface.

[use the Page button. It's the same as clicking OK on the ouija board interface.

No, that won't work, because it defaults to the top of the list, not at the point in the list that you can see. You have no option but to admit you didn't know about this excellent shortcut. <smiley face>

another quick edit, 'Page' does work on the 60/76's but not on the eTrex.

Actually the thread could be called "Did you know the 60CSx 'Page' button is equivalent to the HCx 'Zoom In' button, in a data field", but I'm not sure it would have fit.

Edited by gallet

[use the Page button. It's the same as clicking OK on the ouija board interface.

No, that won't work, because it defaults to the top of the list, not at the point in the list that you can see. You have no option but to admit you didn't know about this excellent shortcut. <smiley face>

Actually the thread could be called "Did you know the 60CSx 'Page' button is equivalent to the HCx 'Zoom In' button, in a data field", but I'm not sure it would have fit.

I believe PS was responding to my post, and it works exactly as advertised. Thanks, Prime Suspect.

As already noted, I was responding to a message about 60/76 line. You have no option but to admit you weren't paying attention. :D

New Info

I couldn't add this to the OP, but here is some more detail.

For 'waypoints' the 'Page' button does work as far as exiting the keyboard and being at the correct spot in the list. The 'Zoom In' also has the same effect.

It is for 'Addresses' where the the buttons are inconsistent between the various fields. For 'Cities' the page key is no good as it exits and defaults to the top of the list as opposed to the 'Zoom In' button that exits at the correct place. For the 'Number' field ,the Page key actually deletes your entry, and leaves the focus on the 'Number' field, whereas the 'Zoom In' button exits the 'Number' field correctly. The Street field is the same as the 'Address' field with regards to exiting and defaulting to the wrong spot.

The 'Zoom In' key has the same effect as the 'Page' key with the Waypoints. So if you get into the habit of using the 'Zoom In' key instead of the 'Page' key then there will be consistency across *all* fields and they will all work. I supposed this could be fixed with a software update, but I wouldn't hold my breath it's too obvious.

As already noted, I was responding to a message about 60/76 line. You have no option but to admit you weren't paying attention.

It's true, I was undone by the endless nested quotes. As of yet no one has answered the question.

Edited by gallet