HP iPAQ rx5915 Travel Companion

I'm thinking of getting the HP iPAQ rx5915 Travel Companion to use while traveling. There seems to be some pros and cons with this unit and I'm wondering if anyone can give me some feedback.

I'd use this unit in my car and carry my 60CSX in the field. Has anyone had issues with downloading geocaches into the HP? Other comments?

I've got the rx5910 and use it in my car, but not for caching (I use a Vista HCx for non-auto use). However, it comes with Tomtom Navigator 6 software and the maps are out of date (on the order of Garmin's CityNav v8). I tried updating to the latest map and it turned out to be a downgrade, cutting th POI database into about 1/3 of what it was. Not happy with that...

That being said, I have bought Garmin's Mobile XT on microSD (it comes with an SD adapter). It came with CN 2008, although I'm told that it may now come with 2009. I like the software much better than the Tomtom and the maps are up to date.

Since Mobile XT takes up the SD slot in the 5910, I removed the Tomtom software and use the 2GB internal memory for the data that was on my SD card (also 2GB). Basically, just swapped the roles of the built in memory and the card.

Other than that, it is a Windows Mobile 5 PDA and works great. Both the Tomtom and the Garmin software will access your Outlook contacts list and route to a contact for which you have an address.

I've got the rx5910 and use it in my car, but not for caching (I use a Vista HCx for non-auto use). However, it comes with Tomtom Navigator 6 software and the maps are out of date (on the order of Garmin's CityNav v8). I tried updating to the latest map and it turned out to be a downgrade, cutting th POI database into about 1/3 of what it was. Not happy with that...

That being said, I have bought Garmin's Mobile XT on microSD (it comes with an SD adapter). It came with CN 2008, although I'm told that it may now come with 2009. I like the software much better than the Tomtom and the maps are up to date.

Since Mobile XT takes up the SD slot in the 5910, I removed the Tomtom software and use the 2GB internal memory for the data that was on my SD card (also 2GB). Basically, just swapped the roles of the built in memory and the card.

Other than that, it is a Windows Mobile 5 PDA and works great. Both the Tomtom and the Garmin software will access your Outlook contacts list and route to a contact for which you have an address.

Have been geocaching with one for over a year, love it. Use BeelineGPS software for it... Also will do Wherigo caches which none of the standalones will do except the latest high end ones.

Z

Have been geocaching with one for over a year, love it. Use BeelineGPS software for it... Also will do Wherigo caches which none of the standalones will do except the latest high end ones.

OK I just figured out where the Wherigo software is. Now I am going to try it on my rx5910.

Edited by Muddy Clan