Ignoring Wherigo Caches

Night-Hawk

Without special equipment, Wherigo caches are not possible to complete so I have elected to add them to my ignore list. The only problem is... GC.com will not let me ignore them. One has shown up in my top 50 mile radius and although I have hit the ignore button, it will not go away. It seems as though this type of cache is being rammed down my throat. Any ideas?

You're not filtering the list.

The same filter that removes your finds and hides, also removes ignored caches.

Use the "filter my finds" link on your My Account Page, or add &f=1 to the end of the url after doing a search.

I am using the filter. GC.com is forcing this action to be ignored. ALL cachers in our area are being forced to "see" this cache type. We cannot filter it our. We have to use GSAK to filter it out. My guess is you do not have one in your area so you don't know the frustration of having to "see" this type cache on your selected radius. Here is my url: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.asp....990583&f=1

Night-Hawk

You're not filtering the list.

The same filter that removes your finds and hides, also removes ignored caches.

Use the "filter my finds" link on your My Account Page, or add &f=1 to the end of the url after doing a search.

I am using the filter. GC.com is forcing this action to be ignored. ALL cachers in our area are being forced to "see" this cache type. We cannot filter it our. We have to use GSAK to filter it out. My guess is you do not have one in your area so you don't know the frustration of having to "see" this type cache on your selected radius. Here is my url: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.asp....990583&f=1

Night-Hawk

Or it could be that this is an acknowledged bug and on the list to be fixed. However there are mission critical fixes that need to be completed before this can be taken care of. FORCED has so much more drama to it. You must be right. :D

ALL cachers in our area are being forced to "see" this cache type.

I think it's really just a marketing conspiracy to publicize the new cache type sell more Colorados :D

Since Jeremy gets a 5% cut of every Colorado sold, I think you're absolutely right. I must admit, it's a pretty ingenious plan. Create a small "bug" in the system that seems fairly harmless, but it going to drive local cachers so absolutely MAD that they'll go buy the latest Colorado model just to get those pesky things off their immediate list....and it adds one more Ferrari to Jeremy's personal garage. Now, since he already has 20 or 30 from the yearly membership fees, I don't know why he needs even MORE money, but such is life.

Back to the OP...yes, it's an annoyance that they should fix up, but really, why is it causing you so much grief? I just don't get this obsessive disorder where people freak out if they can't clear every possible cache. There's a cool cave cache not far from my house, but going by the warnings posted on it, I'll never get through one of the narrow entrances, so it's impossible for me to complete it. I can choose to ignore it (which is what you'd like to do with the Wherigo, I get that), but it doesn't grate on my nerves every time I see it come up in a PQ either.

Why can't you just filter out the cache by type in your PQ?

(Note: Night-Hawk and I know each other. Let the heckling begin.)

Aww... I put out one Wherigo cache within ten miles and you're still insisting you ignore it? I'm hurt! No, man, it won't go away until you find it. Then I'll make more. I'll have you whacking moles in no time. I already had you playing with blocks, Legos, and a Mr. Potatohead in the woods!

I think it's really just a marketing conspiracy to publicize the new cache type sell more Colorados :D

I doubt there are many Colorados to be sold. All new production is probably going to replace the defective units already sold. In the last seven days, I have

- gotten water inside the CO twice, once right in the battery compartment. In both cases, I was simply hiking in the rain.

- been forced to power off/on several times when I get close to the cache because the unit "freezes" or points in the wrong direction

- had to remove the batteries and restart because a Wherigo caused the unit to power off and it would not come back on. After I got it on again, it took over 10 minutes to get a satellite fix while standing in the wide open with a clear sky.

- replace alkaline batteries every 6 hours because it sucks them dry in no time. Rechargeable NiMh are better.

C

Without special equipment, Wherigo caches are not possible to complete...

I did a Wherigo cache without special equipment...all it takes is a friend with special equipment. :D

...Or you could always stumble upon one a la the muggles :D

Are ignored Wherigo caches still showing up in PQs? If so I can understand the frustration. Each cache that is unwanted takes up a slot that a wanted cache could use. It's even more frustrating when you can't prevent it from coming.

I doubt it, since there's a Wherigo selector on the PQ page.

Why can't you just filter out the cache by type in your PQ?

(Note: Night-Hawk and I know each other. Let the heckling begin.)

Aww... I put out one Wherigo cache within ten miles and you're still insisting you ignore it? I'm hurt! No, man, it won't go away until you find it. Then I'll make more. I'll have you whacking moles in no time. I already had you playing with blocks, Legos, and a Mr. Potatohead in the woods!

:D

I doubt there are many Colorados to be sold. All new production is probably going to replace the defective units already sold. In the last seven days, I have

- gotten water inside the CO twice, once right in the battery compartment. In both cases, I was simply hiking in the rain.

- been forced to power off/on several times when I get close to the cache because the unit "freezes" or points in the wrong direction

- had to remove the batteries and restart because a Wherigo caused the unit to power off and it would not come back on. After I got it on again, it took over 10 minutes to get a satellite fix while standing in the wide open with a clear sky.

- replace alkaline batteries every 6 hours because it sucks them dry in no time. Rechargeable NiMh are better.

C

I keep seeing all sorts of bad stuff about the Colorados. I am curious why anyone is buying them until the bugs are worked out.

Edited by Nakedbamboo

I keep seeing all sorts of bad stuff about the Colorados. I am curious why anyone is buying them until the bugs are worked out.

Because Garmin has a reputation for actually fixing their problems?

Let's hope so. They got their work cut out for them with the Colorado.

Are ignored Wherigo caches still showing up in PQs? If so I can understand the frustration. Each cache that is unwanted takes up a slot that a wanted cache could use. It's even more frustrating when you can't prevent it from coming.
I doubt it, since there's a Wherigo selector on the PQ page.

Ah! Didn't notice that before.

All Wherigo caches should have a set difficulty of 5 since they require special equipment.

The definition of the cache type expressly states that a Wherigo player is not considered "special equipment."

Until the bug with the ignore feature is fixed, folks should set up their pocket queries to exclude this cache type if they are not interested in it.

All Wherigo caches should have a set difficulty of 5 since they require special equipment.

The definition of the cache type expressly states that a Wherigo player is not considered "special equipment."

Until the bug with the ignore feature is fixed, folks should set up their pocket queries to exclude this cache type if they are not interested in it.

The PQ seems like the easiest way to ignore them anyhow.

I disagree.

Stating that a Wherigo player is not special equipment doesn't make it a fact.

If I state that a climbing rope isn't special equipment, who will believe that?

All I need to find a non-Wherigo cache is any GPSr, made by any manufacturer.

If I want to find a Wherigo cache, I need specific equipment running specific software.

They are 5* due to special equipment required.

Period. Paragraph. End of Story.

Let's hope that filtering them out in the PQ (since ignoring doesn't work) will keep these little bugs out of my garden.

I disagree.

Stating that a Wherigo player is not special equipment doesn't make it a fact.

If I state that a climbing rope isn't special equipment, who will believe that?

All I need to find a non-Wherigo cache is any GPSr, made by any manufacturer.

If I want to find a Wherigo cache, I need specific equipment running specific software.

They are 5* due to special equipment required.

Period. Paragraph. End of Story.

I agree to a point. A Wherigo, by its nature, requires a specific piece of gear. I'd like to think if they created a special category of cache for SCUBA, then SCUBA gear wouldn't make it a 5* cache, because it's already assumed you're gonna need the gear.

Let's hope that filtering them out in the PQ (since ignoring doesn't work) will keep these little bugs out of my garden.

I do think your observation on specific versus generic gear in on target, though. Considering ignoring certain cache types is still not working since May, it's a little weird that there have been upgrades to Wherigo and a new iPhone app, yet the core site hasn't seen glaring faults fixed. At this point I'm not thinking that the ignore-Wherigo-caches-not-working-thing was a mistake. It's almost as if there is a move away from open/generic technology.

I wish there were enough Wherigo's in my area that I would notice them in the garden.

I have found all in Ontario (about 7) and created a couple myself.

They are a lot of fun and when created correctly, add a huge dimension to the game.

I'm sure, but there are other toys much higher on my list than a PPC or another Garmin. In the meantime...

Without special equipment, Wherigo caches are not possible to complete so I have elected to add them to my ignore list. The only problem is... GC.com will not let me ignore them. One has shown up in my top 50 mile radius and although I have hit the ignore button, it will not go away. It seems as though this type of cache is being rammed down my throat. Any ideas?

I now have 5 of them on my first page and they wont go away.

Notioced this "bug" too.

In what is most certainly an unrelated incident, an old web administrator once told me that if something like this happened, was brought to his attention and it then resolved, I should consider it a "bug" - if it didn't resolve, I might oughta consider it a "message"...

<Since Jeremy gets a 5% cut of every Colorado sold>

What happens if someone returns that Colorado?

What do you mean "What if"? Aren't all the Colorado's back at Garmin by now???

Hey! Mine's worked just fine since I upgraded the software!

Seriously, even though the type is still pretty "new", it's worth checking out. There are more devices than just the two Garmin units that can run the player, check the Wherigo section of the forums for deviecs that have been proven to run it. Pretty much any pocket PC device should work.

Also, some Wherigo developers have left the option open to run the cartridge on the emulator, you may be able to have someone run the cartridge at home, and talk you through it via cell phone. On one of my Wherigo's the FTF went to someone who took their laptop with them, and ran the cartridge on the emulator in the parking lot, running back and forth between points to get the info and answers. Talk about doing it the hard way!

Worst comes to worst, e-mail the owner and ask if he or she would meet you to run through it. I've done that on all 3 of mine

On one of my Wherigo's the FTF went to someone who took their laptop with them, and ran the cartridge on the emulator in the parking lot, running back and forth between points to get the info and answers. Talk about doing it the hard way!

This is an excellent idea. I'm sure if you asked, most hiders wouldn't mind you doing so. Of course, it requires additional equipment in the form of a laptop. :rolleyes:

I discovered this weekend that the Nuvi 500/550 supports Wherigo cartridges. I didn't get a chance to try it in person though. They cost a bit less than an Oregon if you shop around.

Wherigo's can be a lot of fun.

I played one last weekend where we had to "thread the needle" without being blown up by a bomb. It was a lot of fun.

I have several Wherigo's placed that add some unique twists. In one, you can ride a commuter train to work and get a cache on the way home. Or you can drive to the various stations.

In another, you can take your kids to four different playgrounds, spend 30 minutes in each playground and get a cache.

The potential is only limited to your imagination. And as Mick mentioned, there are lots of PDA's that support the cartridge.