Can Someone Lay out the Etrex line for me?

So I'm trying to decide which etrex to get, as I've basically decided not to buy a Magellan (although I've owned two explorists without issue, it seems like more people on here are much happier with the Garmin...)Anyways, I'm looking at aLL of these different sites (including garmins) trying to decipher which GPS does what in the Etrex line. It seems like each of the models (Summit, Legend, Venture, Vista, etc) have all sorts of variables which either make them great, or garbage. So it's tough to shop online for one, as I can't seem to decipher which is which. for example, if you buy a regular old LEGEND it's old school and garbage, but if you buy the LEGEND CX, then it's something worth getting. So Any help on this would be great. I think the only thing I've gotten to far is that the X stands for explandable memory, and the H stands for the high sensitivity reciever... So what the heck else is going on in this line?!?!?!?!?!?!? PLEASE HELP!!!

Oh P.S., I'm looking to buy 2 recievers. One for around $150, and one for around $200 or so, so any suggestions are great as far as the best I can get for the money, assuming i NEEEEEEED all of the fancy components.... which I dont' but oh well.....) Thanks ;)

Etrex H - Basic unit that connects through serial and doesn't have a color screen, nor can maps be loaded on it, has a high sensitivity reciever.

Etrex Venture HC - Built in memory for maps, connects through USB, color screen, high sensitivity reciever

Etrex Summit HC - Built in memory for maps, connects through USB electronic compass and altimeter., color screen, high sensitivity reciever

Etrex Legend HCx - MicroSD card to hold maps and store data, connects through USB, color screen, can do turn by turn routing with the appropriate maps, high sensitivity reciever.

Etrex Vista HCx - MicroSD card, color screen, ectronic compass and altimeter, auto routing, high sensitivity reciever.

All but the basic Etrex H has a geocaching mode. As on the end, H means the high sensitivity reciever, you want this. You will be able to get a signal in difficult areas like under dense forest cover.

H - high sensitivity

C- Color Screen

x - expandable memory

You need to to decide what features you want.

- Turn by turn auto routing?

- Expandable memory to store maps?

- Electronic compass & altimeter?

- Color Screen.

Then you can decide what unit you want.

Here is a comparison on Gamins Site of all the Etrex H lines

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/compare.do?comp...compare=compare

Here is one showing the differences between a Vista and a Vista HCX

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/compare.do?comp...compare=compare

ETA: Changed to proper names after Red's comment and added link to comparisons on Garmin's site.

Edited by CivilVet

Etrex - Basic unit that connects through serial and doesn't have a color screen, nor can maps be loaded on it.

Etrex Venture - Built in memory for maps, connects through USB, color screen

Etrex Summit - Built in memory for maps, connects through USB electronic compass and altimeter., color screen

Etrex Legend - MicroSD card to hold maps and store data, connects through USB, color screen, can do turn by turn routing with the appropriate maps.

Etrex Vista - MicroSD card, color screen, ectronic compass and altimeter, auto routing

Your naming is all wrong and not helping to unconfuse the OP.

Etrex H

Venture HC

Summit HC

Legend HCX

Vista HCX

The only other unit still availablefrom Garmin is the Legend, which is not worth considering as are any of the other older units.

as a beginning geocacher, how often would I actually use the compass/altimeter? Is it worth the extra 50$ or so? I am comparing summit hc and venture hc.

( sorry op for highjacking thread)

OK, this particular question can lead into a 27 page debate.......... ;) IMO, no.......with the "H" receivers, it is not needed and more of a hinderance than a help......

But, search the forums.... There are a quintillion stupidly long debates on the subject and let's not mutilate this thread.

The only other unit still availablefrom Garmin is the Legend
And the Vista

Oh yah, missed it. Someone needs to beat the Garmin marketing department over the head for keeping 10 year old units in their lineup. All they are doing is confusing the public....

Sorry, the OP already stated he understood the H, C, and x designations. I only listed the otehr features that are different between the lines.

I just gave the line name since if you know what H, C, and x means saying Vista and Vista HCx isn't required. Since those differences are given at the end.

I thought he meant what is the difference between a Venture and a Legend, when asked that question I would assume you would be meaning the current H versions, since the others are hard to find, outside of ebay.

ETA: Holy crap, I can't believe you can still find a Vista without a color screen and built in memory. WEird never ran across one on any of the stores I frequent.

Edited by CivilVet

Etrex - Basic unit that connects through serial and doesn't have a color screen, nor can maps be loaded on it.

Etrex Venture - Built in memory for maps, connects through USB, color screen

Etrex Summit - Built in memory for maps, connects through USB electronic compass and altimeter., color screen

Etrex Legend - MicroSD card to hold maps and store data, connects through USB, color screen, can do turn by turn routing with the appropriate maps.

Etrex Vista - MicroSD card, color screen, ectronic compass and altimeter, auto routing

Your naming is all wrong and not helping to unconfuse the OP.

Etrex H

Venture HC

Summit HC

Legend HCX

Vista HCX

The only other unit still availablefrom Garmin is the Legend, which is not worth considering as are any of the other older units.

Yeah, shame on you! :D:D;)

Advice to get either the Legend or Vista is spot on. My wife uses the Vista for hiking and geocaching and likes having the compass. You can get a direction even when you are standing still. Make sure to get the HCx version of whatever you buy--high sensitivity chipset that works wonder in canyons and under canopy.

You might also look at the GPSmap 60 CSx. Same features as the Vista HCx, but in a larger case with a somewhat better antenna. Also a bit more rugged than the Vista. It's what I use.

Hope that helps!

Advice to get either the Legend or Vista is spot on. My wife uses the Vista for hiking and geocaching and likes having the compass. You can get a direction even when you are standing still. Make sure to get the HCx version of whatever you buy--high sensitivity chipset that works wonder in canyons and under canopy.

You might also look at the GPSmap 60 CSx. Same features as the Vista HCx, but in a larger case with a somewhat better antenna. Also a bit more rugged than the Vista. It's what I use.

Hope that helps!

I have the Vista HCx and think it is every bit as rugged as the 60CSx. And, since the 'H' version of the Vista came out, it has the same sensitivity as the older 60CSx.