Waypoint on a graveyard

Relatively new in geocaching land, I was wondering whether it is considered un-ethical to have a geocacher visit a graveyard to look for a particular birth date of a famous person?

I am thinking of placing a cache that deals with WWII and one of the most famous Dutch resistance fighters, "The girl with the red hair" real name Hannie Schaft. She was shot by the Germans in the dunes, close to Haarlem, the Netherlands, and I would like to have people visit her grave, as well as certain other people that were buried there.

So, would that be considered un-ethical?

Not unethical at all. Cemeteries exist to remind us of history as well as provide a storage place for the dead. If they didn't, why would people make creative monuments and stones with all of that other info instead of just placing simple markers with names and dates?

Some of my favorite caches have taught me something of the area by taking me to historic cemeteries. Just be sure the actual container is placed away from the gravesites, and your cache page is properly respectful of the primary purpose of the property and its residents.

We have a series of caches here that show the locations of the old settlers graveyards that have been forgotten or surrounded by development.

I'm in general agreement with Totem Clan and wimseyguy; however, there are some specific areas or locations where geocachers are not welcome in cemeteries. Just like there are some cemeteries that no longer allow visitors who may wish to make gravestone rubbings, etc.

If you are considering using a visit to a cemetery as part of a cache you are developing, it would be wise to drop a note to your local reviewer to make sure there are no issues that are not known to you. Your reviewer's job is to help you to get your cache page published (within the boundaries of the guidelines, of course) and sometimes asking a quick question can save you a lot of rework.

If it's part of a multi or puzzle cache and no container is actually located near a grave, that is perfectly acceptable. In fact, some of the most interesting caches I've found are set up that way. It's great to learn about something historic on a cache hunt!

Relatively new in geocaching land, I was wondering whether it is considered un-ethical to have a geocacher visit a graveyard to look for a particular birth date of a famous person?

I am thinking of placing a cache that deals with WWII and one of the most famous Dutch resistance fighters, "The girl with the red hair" real name Hannie Schaft. She was shot by the Germans in the dunes, close to Haarlem, the Netherlands, and I would like to have people visit her grave, as well as certain other people that were buried there.

So, would that be considered un-ethical?

A few people might be appalled, but most will not see an issue. I personally love these kinds of caches as they are full of history.

In this instance however if you are planning an offset cache using the birth date, be aware that some people might just skip the cemetery step and get the info from Google, so try to use info from the grave stone that isn't available online.

If the caches don't have to digg or search graves for well hidden micros it's ok.

We have also several graveyard caches here (also night caches).

Maybe place the cache box outside the graveyard or a little bit away from the graves.

Happy hunting,

Martin

In this instance however if you are planning an offset cache using the birth date, be aware that some people might just skip the cemetery step and get the info from Google, so try to use info from the grave stone that isn't available online.

I realized that. I was thinking of using something like: what's the birth date of the person buried 3 graves to the right of the... (whatever), such that you have to actually visit to get the details.

I am not planning to hide the cache in the cemetery, I believe it is closed after dark, but rather as a last waypoint in a multicache.

Most folks will be fine with a grave yard connected cache. I have a couple that are in cemetery's that have memorials for our military or our Police/Ems/ Fire Fighters that have died in TLD. I also have 1 that the listed cords brings you to the enterance of a small cemetery. Instructions are then given of the area you must go next (which is a head stone thought to be the oldest marked grave on this island) You then take a set of cords, do a math equation using the numbers I supply to get you to the cache itself.

The hunt is casual, quiet, very easy, historical & fun & it has been well recieved. So go for it. Good luck MW

Edited by Mother Wolf

I love cemetery caches. Especially the ones that are so old that they are rarely visited. I say go for it. ;)

Kind of sad to see the state of some of the seldom visited ones, though. A lot of them aren't maintained well. Not to mention seeing the effects of vandals, that just gets my blood boiling when i see it.