GPSMAP 296 query

There is no online manual for the 296 on the garmin site.

Can any maps be loaded to the internal solid state memory or does it need a data cards.

Also does this connect to a pc via a menu based 'mass storage mode'? and what is the menu path.

thx

EDIT:

OK it's definitely got a 256 data card installed, so I'm just needing the menu path to get this into mass storage mode.

Edited by gallet

I'm not after the pilots guide, I was looking for the user manual, but I have since found one for the 396 which appears to be similar, however it still had no infomation on how to access the data card, so if anyone knows who can tell me, than that would be splendid.

I'm not after the pilots guide, I was looking for the user manual, but I have since found one for the 396 which appears to be similar, however it still had no infomation on how to access the data card, so if anyone knows who can tell me, than that would be splendid.

Well, I guess your looking for something else, because the Pilots guide tells about using data cards.

Hope it works out for you.

Regards,

Mike

Do you actually know how to load maps to the data card in mass storage mode, because if you do then you can just tell me. BTW I could find no reference to this in the 'pilot's guide'.

Or if anyone else knows, that would also be good. I'm wondering maybe it can't be put in mass storage mode and the maps have to be transfered from Mapsource? Perhaps.

The "Pilots Guide" is the user manual. In fact, all manuals, specs and software can be found on the site: LINK

If you are looking on adding maps to the card, you use MapSource or put in a preloaded card.

For the instructions, see pg 116.

Phew, we're getting there. OK so on the 396 it's the User Manual and on the 296 it's called a Pilot's guide, makes sense.

Anyhoo I guess this is the salient paragraph...

Garmin Data Transfer is disabled when the USB is connected and the unit automatically switches to USB format.

So is this saying that the 296 won't/can't mount as a removable volume on the desktop?

Phew, we're getting there. OK so on the 396 it's the User Manual and on the 296 it's called a Pilot's guide, makes sense.

Anyhoo I guess this is the salient paragraph...

Garmin Data Transfer is disabled when the USB is connected and the unit automatically switches to USB format.

So is this saying that the 296 won't/can't mount as a removable volume on the desktop?

I don't think the unit will it self mount as a drive, and to get the data card to do so I believe you need a card reader. The "Garmin Data Transfer" that is disabled is on the two RS232 serial ports.

I would think that any SD card reader would work.
except that it does not use an SD card.
OK, thx. I dread to think what the cost of a Garmin proprietary card reader would be.
Dam expensive. s.gif$100 will get you 256MB on ebay.

Well, you're right as it takes a RoHS data card, but I think the OP was asking about the reader price, not the memory price.

So does the garmin proprietary data card fit in a normal card reader? I've not seen one close up. Is there such a thing as a garmin card reader or were these only ever meant to be used while in a gps unit?

Here's the part number: 010-10776-00

Not sure that it will allow you to mount the card on the desktop, you will have to check with Garmin on this.