Game Production Areas in South Dakota

StaticTank

If you haven't heard already the Game, Fish, and Parks has decided to ban all Geocaches in GPAs in South Dakota. They cited several reason most having to do with the way the areas are being used and the money they receive to maintain them doesn't comply with Geocaching. Also they don't want 'Geotrails' forming to the cache sites or people ruining the area. I believe the last reason to be preposterous but there will always be people who can spoil it for the rest of us. They also cited that people from out of town may not know about hunting season and might endanger themselves by visiting the areas during hunting season. Needless to say this is a sad day for Geocaching in South Dakota. We are going to do our best to get this reversed, but it will take some time.

StaticTank

If you haven't heard already the Game, Fish, and Parks has decided to ban all Geocaches in GPAs in South Dakota. They cited several reason most having to do with the way the areas are being used and the money they receive to maintain them doesn't comply with Geocaching. Also they don't want 'Geotrails' forming to the cache sites or people ruining the area. I believe the last reason to be preposterous but there will always be people who can spoil it for the rest of us. They also cited that people from out of town may not know about hunting season and might endanger themselves by visiting the areas during hunting season. Needless to say this is a sad day for Geocaching in South Dakota. We are going to do our best to get this reversed, but it will take some time.

StaticTank

Hello,

I just recieved a note that all gpa and walk in areas with the GF&P's have been baned for SD and was wandering what brought this on? I have a cache that I had requested permission from someone in the Yankton area and do not remember his name but had gotten permission at Highland Landing in the SE corner of SD. This is an excellent spot for mushroom hunting and sight seeing along the National Missouri River. It is also a hunting area. There are people building houses right next door, I mean right across the gravel road, you can't get any closer (500ft) to the east of the hunting area. If a bullet would happen to stray to the east from this area it would either hit a home or worse yet someone that lives there! There is also a boat landing here accesing the river so it is not like only hunters access this area, people come here to float down to Clay County Park and to go to Elk Point or Yankton or Sioux City on the river I have seen as many as 20 cars at a guess in this area using the hunting area for mushroom hunting, sight seeing, just a hike etc. I am really kind of upset about this whole thing. I know it is not your falt, I thought about archiving this but thought I would put my 2 sense in before and see what happens.

Sure does seem pretty stupid on the Game and Fish's Dept to ban all the caches on Game Production Areas. What about all the other people that use these areas?? Are they banned from there recreations also?? And they are worried about geotrails?? What are they going to do with all the deer trails and other game trails?? Put up signs for the deer not to continue to use the same trail?? Do they realize how much money people spend on geocaching, such as buying fuel in the state, motel rooms, food, etc. ?? I used to live in South Dakota, now Im sure glad I moved.

Do you have contact information for GFP regarding this ruling? I think there will be many people wanting to voice their opinions to the powers that be. In fact I know at least one GFP employee who got me started in caching, as well as a couple of elected officials that have interest in this activity. Please let me know, I have no problem being the squeaky wheel.

Do you have contact information for GFP regarding this ruling? I think there will be many people wanting to voice their opinions to the powers that be. In fact I know at least one GFP employee who got me started in caching, as well as a couple of elected officials that have interest in this activity. Please let me know, I have no problem being the squeaky wheel.

I agree, we need more individuals in contact with GFP to voice our concerns. Geocaching is a supported activity at several state parks, I believe we could make some progress with GFP simply by showing support for the sport.

StaticTank, if you have any contact information that you could share, please do.

That is where it gets complicated. We had a meeting with the GFP and most of the well-known cachers from the Sioux Falls area showed up to show that there is interest in Geocaching. It isn't that the state doesn't support the activity its that the land is paid for by a special tax on guns and ammo so that it can be used for hunting, if it isn't being used for hunting or it is used by too many other people they said they could lose the funding. If you wanted to get in contact with someone you could talk to Steve VanderBeek at the Outdoor Campus in Sioux Falls (Sorry I don't have his number but if you called them you might be able get a hold of him)

http://www.sdgfp.info/wildlife/education/o...s/contactus.htm

Most likely you would need to get a hold of someone higher up the chain to get any thing changed. The meeting was more about informing us that we couldn't use the land any more than discussion. A lot of us are upset about the decision but it doesn't appear that the motivation is there to change the rules.

The Game Fish and Parks supports Geocaching and actually hides their own in the South Dakota Parks. It is just the GPAs they don't want them in.

StaticTank

There are odd things going on in Southeastern South Dakota in addition to the GPAs. It seems that certain caches in State Parks and Recreation Areas are deemed to be "too dangerous" or "harmful to wildlife". The "landowner" requested that these caches be archived. Funny thing is that one of these caches was the only cache at Palisades State Park until a naturalist who is brand new to geocaching and can't get her coordinates right placed three caches of her own in the park. I am planning to inquire as to whether she is the only one authorized to place caches there, and if so, why? I seriously do not get what the State's problem is with geocaching. But as someone said awhile back, there are many, many places to hide caches. If the State doesn't want us on "their" (I thought it was "our") land, I'll be happy to stop buying park stickers. -- PrairieHounds Ann

StaticTank

I am about to cover some gpa'a this weekend. They are located North of DeSmet. Am I going to find nothing if I go out or are some of the caches till in place. :blink:

There are odd things going on in Southeastern South Dakota in addition to the GPAs. It seems that certain caches in State Parks and Recreation Areas are deemed to be "too dangerous" or "harmful to wildlife". The "landowner" requested that these caches be archived. Funny thing is that one of these caches was the only cache at Palisades State Park until a naturalist who is brand new to geocaching and can't get her coordinates right placed three caches of her own in the park. I am planning to inquire as to whether she is the only one authorized to place caches there, and if so, why? I seriously do not get what the State's problem is with geocaching. But as someone said awhile back, there are many, many places to hide caches. If the State doesn't want us on "their" (I thought it was "our") land, I'll be happy to stop buying park stickers. -- PrairieHounds Ann

I was at the state fair this year and had a good meeting with a park ranger who loves to geocache. He was very helpful and even let three of us into a fenced area for a short time on the fair grounds to search for a hidden cache. It turned out to be dnf, but he understood our passion. Being educated himself and knowing we had good intentions, he felt comfortable with us hunting. I think the more we educate and inform people about what we do and how we do our very best to protect the enviroment, the better it will be with the SDGFP.