Stockpiling TB's and Geocoins prior to a long trip...

We are going to be travelling 1000 miles away on our next trip, would it upset people to clean out TB motels and take them that far away?

On one hand the owner would probably like the mileage but on the other you are taking TB's & GC's away from your 'home' area...but then you would probably bring a few back in their place....

Thoughts???

(Checks list)

Travel bugs are meant to move, as long as you are helping a bug towards its goal it doesn't matter if you take two or twenty.

Try not to hold a bug for too long. If you want to hold on to it for a while, like to take it on a trip, check with the owner first. Most are pretty cool about it as long as they know their bug hasn't been forgotten.

Take pictures, tell stories, have fun.

Edited by BlueDeuce

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt.

As was said above as long as you are helping them meet their goals do it. While your out find more that you can help along and bring 'em back. That's what it is all about.

Do make sure you aren't taking them away from their goal. Also as mentioned, let the owner know if you will be keeping them for a long time before the trip.

If it gets a TB or geocoin closer to it's goal, then I'd go for it! If you are stockpiling up several weeks before you actually leave, it might be nice to contact the TB or GC owner and tell them what your plans are so they know ahead of time. And of course, don't forget to pick up some TB's on your trip to place in caches back home :o Have fun!

You know, I'd rather see most of my TBs make several jumps--even in the wrong direction--than to be dropped in a cache close to home by me, and then taken directly to their goal by someone else. I like watching the logs and seeing where they go to--I enjoy looking at the various caches they land in, and seeing if I want to travel there myself someday.

It can get fairly boring when I see the same "Dropped in x cache" "picked up from x cache" logs all by the same person. It's waaaay more fun to get notes about someone being surprised by the TB or telling me what they think of the goal idea, etc.

So my thought is "No, for most TBs I wouldn't want to see them stockpiled up in one person's account to go o a long trip in a few weeks"

On the other hand---if there are TBs that are racing to get somewhere special and you are going near there, you certainly might make someone very happy if you helped out their TB. Or, I have a couple of TBs that I love to see get to the other side of the country now and then...so if you think the owner would appreciate it, I'd certainly drop them a note to ask.

I wouldn't collect them for weeks without asking the owner.

As long as the travel bug wants to travel just anywhere then go for it, but if you are moving some away from there goal, then I wouldn't do it. I know it will take some time, but check each travel bug you are planning on moving to see if you are helping them or hurting them.

I wouldn't `clean out' area tb hotels or anything, but grabbing a few here and there wouldn't hurt, ESPECIALLY if you can help them get where they want to be. I've been holding on to one geocoin for a few weeks just because I will be heading out tomorrow to the area of its target cache, might even be able to visit the very cache it wants to be in.

Thanks for asking. My reply isn't really directed at you, because by asking, I think you've indicated that you're paying attention.

However, on the subject of stockpiling travelers for trips; I see cachers stockpile coins and bugs for their Florida vacation, get here and place a vacation cache stocked with those travelers. The cache may never be published. I try to help them get caches published where possible, and help them arrange for TB and coin rescue where not possible.

It's astonishing how often this is done.

I'm not sure writing about it here is useful. Are the people that don't read the listing guidelines reading the forums? maybe.

You could also order 8 of your own TB and release them where ever you want to. I just set up 8 and let my son get 4 of them from my cache so he could take them with him to Iraq where he is going in 10 days and the other 4 I will release in July in Vegas while there on vacation. I release 8 last year in Reno area while on vacation. I have had better luck releasing TB on vacation than local. It seems like the ones I release local don't get many miles on them and end up missing faster than the vacation ones.

Please don't do it!

Some bozo here in Sweden is doing just that right now, he's going around, NOT logging the coins as taken, but leaving a slip of paper in the cache saying that he took the coins for a spring 2009!!! trip to the Himalayas where he plans on putting a cache called Hillary Step up and leaving them there.

Talk about Travel Bug/Coin heII!! Really ticks me off!!

Here is the note they are leaving in the caches here after taking ALL the coins and bugs!!

6c60a677-7c52-420c-ab8a-697557614e89.jpg

Naomi

Please don't do it!

Some bozo here in Sweden is doing just that right now, he's going around, NOT logging the coins as taken, but leaving a slip of paper in the cache saying that he took the coins for a spring 2009!!! trip to the Himalayas where he plans on putting a cache called Hillary Step up and leaving them there.

Here is the note they are leaving in the caches here after taking ALL the coins and bugs!!

Naomi

Have you discussed this plan with that cacher?

Please don't do it!

Naomi

Have you discussed this plan with that cacher?

We don't know who he is! He doesn't log at all!! ;)

Please don't do it!

6c60a677-7c52-420c-ab8a-697557614e89.jpg

Naomi

Oh man! There is so many things wrong with this.. I don't know what this person is thinking. If he really thinks people will enjoy this, or if he is intentional just trying to piss people off.

It sounds like he is:

1) hogging a lot of trackables that others now won't get to enjoy moving

2) NOT logging what he took, so owners have no idea where their TBs went

3) Keeping them until spring of 2009! like most of a year. Probably he will continue to take and hoard over the next 9 months. If he is serious about it he could end up with A LOT of trackables from now till then. Hopefully someone will catch him and talk some sense into him.

4) Going to put them in a place where no one will ever go retrieve them from, and they have a good chance of being lost forever.

So this person is psyco I think that is established. However lets not tie this to the orginal poster here. Granted I am pretty new to caching too, but I think it fine to stock up a bit before a trip. Just use common sense. Don't go overboard and wipe out all the TBs in your local area, leave some for the rest. Try to bring back TBs from your trip to replenish the local area. Respect the goals of the TBs, don't move something against its goal. Log what you take and drop. Have fun with it. I find it fun as a cacher to move coins from one area to another VS just looping them around my city AND I enjoy seeing my coins jump around. Really one of the more common ways this happens I have to think is by people going on trips and bringing them with.

Cerainly I am not in favor of hoarding massive amounts TBs for long periods of time, but I don't get the sense the orginal poster is wanting to do that. They just want to grab some TBs to bring with and drop on their 2 week vacation. I would not think you need to email every TB owner to get their permission for that. Just read the goals and if they apply do it.

(Checks list)

Travel bugs are meant to move, as long as you are helping a bug towards its goal it doesn't matter if you take two or twenty.

Try not to hold a bug for too long. If you want to hold on to it for a while, like to take it on a trip, check with the owner first. Most are pretty cool about it as long as they know their bug hasn't been forgotten.

Take pictures, tell stories, have fun.

That's right. I received an email recently asking me if they could hold my bug until late June when they are heading out west and place it there. I was happy to grant them permission and even happier that they were polite enough to ask.

lets not tie this to the orginal poster here.

I agree. I'll try to track this person down and discuss TBs. People (including this guy) might be surprised how many would jump at the chance to have their travelers taken there, had they been asked. The vacation cache idea concerns me the most.

Certainly I am not in favor of hoarding massive amounts TBs for long periods of time, but I don't get the sense the original poster is wanting to do that. They just want to grab some TBs to bring with and drop on their 2 week vacation. I would not think you need to email every TB owner to get their permission for that. Just read the goals and if they apply do it.

Exactly.

Edited by BlueDeuce

I have held TB's for several months so we could take them on a long trip. We have always asked the owners. Almost all of them say sure. I figure those who don't respond back don't care so I keep them anyway.

I've asked even if the goals are not near the location I am going and the owners still say take them.

Sometimes the side trips are as much fun as the destination

I agree. I'll try to track this person down and discuss TBs. People (including this guy) might be surprised how many would jump at the chance to have their travelers taken there, had they been asked. The vacation cache idea concerns me the most.

Please keep up updated. This is so wrong on SO many levels.

I have held TB's for several months so we could take them on a long trip. We have always asked the owners. Almost all of them say sure. I figure those who don't respond back don't care so I keep them anyway.

I've asked even if the goals are not near the location I am going and the owners still say take them.

Sometimes the side trips are as much fun as the destination

I've done both of these things: contacted owners about moving their TB/GC away from completing a goal and I've been contacted about have a TB/GC go in a different direction. Almost every time I've been contacted, I've let the cacher move the TB/GC with them and I've modified its goal once it has been dropped. Likewise, I've respected what the wishes of the owner, unless they didn't respond at which time the TB/GC was moved quite a distance. I believe that as long as the owner as been notified that is a key to you being able to keep and move the TB/GC.

This IS what The Hilley Step guy have taken this far in Stockholm (SWEDEN). He has left one paper/note in each cache.

Uppdated 14 maj kl 15:50

21 Apr-23 Apr Flemmingsbergsviken

1 coin

Casper's Apple Geocoin

25 Apr-29 Apr Flemmingsbergsviken

1 coin

Geo.Error Huskies coin

12 apr-01 maj Strömma kanal

6 coins

UD62 Braunschweig Geocoin

We passed 172 caches from #1000! [Wacky Races]

chaosmanor's Dorkfish 2007 #3

Castle Man's Cachin' In Your Dreams Geocoin

Muscarius III

FreeAgents Travel Express Geocoin

13 mar-03 maj 3 #5

1 Coin

WDD 2007 Commemorative Geocoin

04 apr-03 maj Balingsta Kvarn

2 Coins

Waschi's Swiss Coin #1

Idyllens Grossherzogtum Baden Geocoin

10 apr-04 maj Lundby (Kan vara ”vanlig” muggling – lådan saknas)

1 Coin

Battle of the Ironclads - FSU*Noles Civil War Geocoin #3

12 apr-11 maj Södertälje Havsbad

1 Coin

Happy Caching - Giftpilz (freundlich!)

25 apr-2 maj Tor

1 Coin

Daisycoin

04 april-08 maj TREASURE ISLAND (WOFFE & KIDS #1)

1 Coin

SwedenHawk Geocoin east

1 TB

Twinkelbox Yana

28 apr–06 maj Vattentornet i Segersjö

1 Coin

D & S Viking Trader Geocoin

28 apr–11 maj WEBER

1 Coin

NoobNaders Arthur and Trillian Geocoin

29 apr-11 maj Splash into the water (Lidingö)

1 Coin

Swedish Geocoin 2007- Kebnekajse

30 apr-01 maj Finlandsparken Geocoin Exchange

3 Coin

Boy Scout Kansas Sunshine 2008 Geocoin

Swiss FinFan

Tulikärpänen

3 TB

"Kiruna, Sweden" Unite for Diabetes Travel Bug

Ramazzotti TB

Svensk Krona TB

24 apr – 11 maj No Island

1 Coin

NLIH's Red Handed Geocoin

28 apr-10 maj Hästminne

1 TB

DraXxus

03 apr-14 maj Trolltallen på Enhörna Malm

1 Coin

Blackpool Tower Geocoin

01 maj-14 maj The Pokemon Center Stockholm

1 Coin

The Deputy

01 maj-14 maj SE UPP - Dont look down

1 Coin

German Canadian Friendship Geocoin

02 maj-14 maj Hässelby slott

1 Coin

Our Lucky Dutch Geocoin 2006

1 TB

Kuli

04 maj-07 maj Herrängens Gård

1 Coin

Never STOP caching

04 maj-13 majLötsjön

1 Coin

TumbleWeed Geocoin

05 maj-07 maj Rysstunneln

1 Coin

Virginia Geocoin.gl.emu

07 maj-11 maj Broadcast (Stockholm)

1 Coin

Team Vildmark - Traveller Geocoin II

06 maj-14 maj Allhelgona

1 Coin

GSC&P December Geocoin

07 maj-13 maj The Russian Wall

1 Coin

Fish Eagle's Dreamcatcher - Air (Missing)

09 maj-12 maj Airport BMA. (Sthlm)

1 Coin

Super Cacher Geocoin

1 TB

GeoJycken

09 maj-13 maj Lost in Time – Riksby

1 Coin

Weird Cousin Skallbert Skeletto

11 maj-13 maj A fair cache

3 Coins

Happy Caching - Horseshoe Geocoin

("Paul's ")Going Dutch

Applewomyn Micro Coin

2 TB

Susanne hvit

Die Welt zu Gast bei Freunden

Edited by Fam. Samuelsson

This IS what The Hilley Step guy have taken this far in Stockholm (SWEDEN). He has left one paper/note in each cache.

Thanks, I had a couple of example to work with. He says that he is going to email the owner, was anyone ever contacted?

Not anyone that I knowe. But I have only heard from 3-4 owner

I say, as long as it helps move the TB towards its goal, and the owner is okay with you holding onto it for a while, go for it. But be VERY CLEAR about making sure it helps move towards its goal. One of my TBs was released in Virginia with the intent of getting back to my hometown. On THREE seperate occassions, it was within 150 miles, only to be picked up and taken to California, or 100 miles the wrong way. Twice now it has been stuck in terrain 5 caches, and most recently a puzzle cache. The amount of time it has spent NOT travelling is incredibly frustrating.