Am I the Only One?

I have been hearing a lot of negative comments on the Colorado lately. And i seem to be the only one not having problems. I just got it on the 30th mind you and it has been a dream. Got it for super cheap too. Less then i paid for my 60CSX which is saying a lot. Anyone else love it? Geocaching has been helluva fun now that its all paperless. Anyone else with some "Happy" comments?

I received my 400T last Friday. So far I am pretty happy with mine. I have a Magellan Meridian Color. So it was a little bit of a learning curve for me to get adjusted to the 400T. I would say that the learning curve has been worth it not to have to carry my Magellan and a Palm with me in the field. As for accuracy. I have only done two caches so far with the 400T. When standing on top of the cache it has said that I was 16' and 30' away from the cache. I have turned my compass turned off and did have it in WAAS mode. I wonder sometimes though when people are complaining about the accuracy of these units. Is the unit truly off when approaching a cache or are the coordinates that people place for the cache off? I am sure that with using it more I will stay happy with the 400T. I am probably gonna take both out with me sometime to see what each says when on top of a cache. But I truly feel that sometimes the coordinates that people list get you close and the rest of the work is up to the cacher. Just my 2 cents.

I have had my Colorado 300 since Jan. 24. I have found nearly 300 caches with it since then, with very few DNFs, and none that I could blame on the unit. I jumped to the Colorado from a Legend C, so I have been happy with it from day 1, and even happier with every update. I am having very few of the problems that I see mentioned in the "whine" box, and those I have had have been minor or not effected anything about my caching or other outdoor experiences using the Colorado. Yes, mine has locked up some, but so has my laptop... so goes it with technology. Yes, I have found missing data, but once again, nothing that hasn't happened in other technology. Since that time, I have placed 12 caches, and only one had a coordinate problem for the first cacher, and that was completely my error. The rest have been spot on without averaging, but simply taking the time to take several readings from several different approaches in a short amount of time. I see the 60CSX for $298.84 on walmart.com, but I wouldn't trade my Colorado 300 for two of them. I have been completely satisfied! Thanks, Garmin, for a GREAT product! The pros far outweigh the cons IMHO!!! :D;):D:D:D

The only problem I have with mine is the battery life is still messed up. I have downloaded the new beta firmware and am using NiMH batteries. I have backlighting turned all the way down, compass off, WAAS disabled, etc. I still only get around 2 hours of continuous use. I am going to try higher maH rated batteries today and see if that helps. The ones I have now are the Sanyo 2300's that Garmin sells with a charger on their website. I think I may have to send this unit back for a new one.

Other than that I think the GPS is great.

2 hrs!!! I am on my 14 hour after putting in two 7 hr days of caching with it. am at last bar but still. i also am using Li-Ion batteries.

2 hours is being generous, it is actually a little less than that. I downloaded the new firmware that "supposedly" fixed the problem and it loaded when I restarted because the GPS took 5 minutes to boot afterward. I think I have one with a hardware problem.

Took my second one back because of real or perceived accuracy issues and "jumping" while Geocaching. I went and rebought another 60scx to compare its performance.

I never did that much Geocaching with my first 60scx, so maybe I don't know what accuracy I should expect, but I'll find out tonight when I go to the same two caches my 400ts could never resolve.

I already miss the 400t, though. I love its operation and the fact it would interface with my cadence and HRM. I'm jealous that some have no problems with it.

oh and did i mention i am a 60csx owner that used it religiously? i still love the colorado. it is a caching dream.

You're right, it IS a "CACHING" dream! Too bad it's not a HIKING dream, or a BACKCOUNTRY NAVIGATION dream, or a DATA ACQUISITION dream, or even a OPERATES AS STATED IN THE MANUAL dream. I hate to be that guy but. :D

I have had my 400T for about a week now and the only gripe I have is that I have not had much time to get much hard core caching in. I have found about 15 with it and an very pleased with it. In 2 cases the thing pointed at the cache and started to spin when I went over the cache, literally. My worst cache was about 20 feet off but I am pretty sure it was a coordinate issue due to the terrain and sky cover that was by the cache.

Mark me off as being very very pleased with it. Now if I could just get a nursery pass so that I could get out and do some hunting.

Ron

i found out today that the latest shipment (that i got and others most likely) had a lot of hardware problems corrected. so far i have 20 hrs on 2 Li-Ion's befor they went dead.

Care to give us the first few numbers of the serial number and what software version was loaded into the unit when you received it? My particular unit was purchased in late March and had version 2.3 loaded.

On a personal note,I will admit that it's taken awhile to figure out all the features of the Colorado. For the most part it seems to be functioning correctly. I just downloaded a pocket query with 500 caches then copied and pasted it into the units GPX folder. I can see why a lot of folks are raving about the paperless benifits of the Colorado.

Many owners complain about the battery operating time their units are providing. I can only speak from my own experiences and yes,it does make a significant difference on the batteries used. I went from some ordinary non rated Nimh batteries at 8 hours to a pair of Maha 2700's that will keep the unit going for 16 hours before it shuts off.

Edited by flyjazz

i found out today that the latest shipment (that i got and others most likely) had a lot of hardware problems corrected. so far i have 20 hrs on 2 Li-Ion's befor they went dead.

How did you get this information? Garmin Tech? Just curious, those guys have been tight lipped on any questions I've had about hardware problems.

How did you get this information? Garmin Tech? Just curious, those guys have been tight lipped on any questions I've had about hardware problems.

Yeah a tech. i bought this direct on a prodeal through a company i work for. i talked to her and i had to wait unitl the very end of april to even order it as they were getting a very new batch with some fixed issues. she also told me not to order the 400i or 400c as they are still working on those and that it would be a few more weeks. so i ordered mine the 28th of April when she said the new batch was to be in. they second dayed it to my house. fast forward to this morning, i noticed my battery case wasnt completely sealed right so i called her. she told me yeah stuff is still being looked into. that they are working on stuff. i pointed out garmincolorado.wikispace.com to her and she said they were familiar with it. and i was transfered to a Tech and the solution is simple. i took a very very small drop of gun lube and put it my finger and rubbed it on the seals around the batteries and the sd card port and that took care of it. i even tried it out. works very well. but that is all i have. my serial is xxxxxxxxx.

Edited by ~Mindless-Focus~

You're right, it IS a "CACHING" dream! Too bad it's not a HIKING dream, or a BACKCOUNTRY NAVIGATION dream, or a DATA ACQUISITION dream, or even a OPERATES AS STATED IN THE MANUAL dream. I hate to be that guy but. :D

geocachers maybe will love it.

all others will not be happy with this buggy garmin

Yogazoo and freeday... you have made your OPINIONS quite clear and exhaustive on other forums threads. :D This one was for people who are HAPPY with their Colorados. I have used mine in every way that I could possibly want to use a handheld GPS unit. It has been a hiking dream, a backcountry navigation dream, and has operated as stated in the manual for every need that I had... and it has been awesome when used for geocaching. Yeah, this thread is for those who are ENJOYING their Colorado. It is a piece of technology and will continue to have shortcomings, but like all technology, it will never overcome the shortcomings of the creator and the user. Take your rain to another parade and let this forum be what it is. Woohoo, go Colorado! Woohoo, go Garmin. Again, if you can't tell, I LOVE my Garmin Colorado... :D thank you, Garmin, for an awesome, albeit not yet perfect, device. Onward in your quest for perfection! :DB)B):D

Yogazoo and freeday... you have made your OPINIONS quite clear and exhaustive on other forums threads. :D This one was for people who are HAPPY with their Colorados. I have used mine in every way that I could possibly want to use a handheld GPS unit. It has been a hiking dream, a backcountry navigation dream, and has operated as stated in the manual for every need that I had... and it has been awesome when used for geocaching. Yeah, this thread is for those who are ENJOYING their Colorado. It is a piece of technology and will continue to have shortcomings, but like all technology, it will never overcome the shortcomings of the creator and the user. Take your rain to another parade and let this forum be what it is. Woohoo, go Colorado! Woohoo, go Garmin. Again, if you can't tell, I LOVE my Garmin Colorado... :D thank you, Garmin, for an awesome, albeit not yet perfect, device. Onward in your quest for perfection! B)B):D:D

Couldn't agree more!

The only thing I don't like about mine is that my bike mount hasn't gotten here yet, and my invisible shield screen protector is drying so I can't use it for a few more hours...... :D

You're right, it IS a "CACHING" dream! Too bad it's not a HIKING dream, or a BACKCOUNTRY NAVIGATION dream, or a DATA ACQUISITION dream, or even a OPERATES AS STATED IN THE MANUAL dream. I hate to be that guy but. ;)

Yogazoo and freeday... you have made your OPINIONS quite clear and exhaustive on other forums threads. ;) This one was for people who are HAPPY with their Colorados. I have used mine in every way that I could possibly want to use a handheld GPS unit. It has been a hiking dream, a backcountry navigation dream, and has operated as stated in the manual for every need that I had... and it has been awesome when used for geocaching. Yeah, this thread is for those who are ENJOYING their Colorado. It is a piece of technology and will continue to have shortcomings, but like all technology, it will never overcome the shortcomings of the creator and the user. Take your rain to another parade and let this forum be what it is. Woohoo, go Colorado! Woohoo, go Garmin. Again, if you can't tell, I LOVE my Garmin Colorado... :huh: thank you, Garmin, for an awesome, albeit not yet perfect, device. Onward in your quest for perfection! :o:o:(:(

For the record, I did say it was a geocaching dream (as did freeday).

bluemustangpride, your post seems slightly over the top, almost like false enthusiasm. It's not like I harped on with a laundry list of problems and shortcommings (though I could have).

Relax folks, I like my Colorado but I'm not going to shake the pom-poms and lead the "G-A-R-M-I-N, WHATS THAT SPELL? GARMIN GARMIN GARMIN! GOOOOOOO GARMIN!!!" cheer just yet. If we would all just sit back and love our Garmin's, then Garmin would never address any issues because there would be no impetus to do so. I'm not raining on your parade but the entire premise of this thread is slightly uncomfortable to begin with.

Edited by yogazoo

I'm not raining on your parade but the entire premise of this thread is slightly uncomfortable to begin with.

Fortunately, you are not required to read this thread. Whew, disaster and years of therapy averted.

p.s. I love my 400t!

Edited by nicolo

I'm not raining on your parade but the entire premise of this thread is slightly uncomfortable to begin with.

Fortunately, you are not required to read this thread. Whew, disaster and years of therapy averted.

p.s. I love my 400t!

To start with, I'm not taking any side in the above discussion.

As I look through this thread, I see very enthusiastic support for the Colorado, and I can see it is very genuine - yet many comments have that 'BUT' attached. That confuses me. People are generic in their praise, ("I love my Colorado"); but specific in stating their problems, and there are quite a few. I find that interesting.

I'm on the fence. I will upgrade soon from a MAP60CS to either a Colorado 400t or a MAP60CSX. I find all the information in the Colorado threads a bit overwhelming. There is just a lot of data, and much of it is dated or is simply opinion (which can be very valuable). Also, it is good to see the praise after all the negative comments, but: WHY do you like the Colorado?

I realize there has been some specific info, and I'm not trying to stir a pot here, and I may be too dense to understand (all us smart people say that ;) ), but some rationale would help.

Here's what I posted in another thread earlier today to save me from writing it again:

Disclaimer:

The 60CSx is a fine device, however so is the Colorado (I've had both and prefer the Colorado for my needs). Maybe we should compare the 60CSx first edition firmware to the Colorado, as I recall it too was quite buggy at first wink.gif

Fun thread though, I'll play along!

I'm actually not using mine this weekend, instead I'll be installing a sprinkler system at our house and then a deck at our campsite... but for the sake of argument, and the thread I'll virtually change my plans biggrin.gif

First I'm going Geocaching and I won't have to worry about printing anything or lugging along other devices to read the logs, hints, size, difficulty, terrain and descriptions since they are all displayed with the cache information already.

colorado.gif

Since my Colorado is also 'super accurate' I'll have no problem getting to them, and I won't have to worry about lock ups either since that has been fixed.

While driving I'll use the City Navigator NT 2009 data, that is stored on the device (whole thing), and maybe go fishing... since I had a whole unused SD card I put Inland Lakes on it (whole thing). I also won't have to mess with any settings since the Colorado supports Profiles... I can have different setups/screens/menus for Automotive, Geocaching, Hiking, Boating, Hunting... you name it!

From past experience, I realized waypoint averaging never made the location change, so I won't miss that step anymore when I mark my location and just hit enter.

Never had to worry about battery life yet, even with map view and WAAS enabled, but I wouldn't worry about it anyway since I go prepared with an extra set of rechargeable batteries just in case.

I'll also enjoy the larger display and shading of the topo map while navigating the trails.

Edited by XopherN71

I had no idea that so many out-of-work comedians ALSO owned garmin GPS's.

Look, I, and others, are simply trying to add to the conversation. We do love the products but on the other side of the coin we're not Garmin cheerleaders either. I just don't want someone to read this thread and think its all butterfly's and rainbows when it comes to these units. But whatever, go for it, Lets all put on a smile and bask in the glorious light of the Colorado. ;)

People are generic in their praise, ("I love my Colorado"); but specific in stating their problems, and there are quite a few. I find that interesting.

I'm on the fence. I will upgrade soon from a MAP60CS to either a Colorado 400t or a MAP60CSX. I find all the information in the Colorado threads a bit overwhelming. There is just a lot of data, and much of it is dated or is simply opinion (which can be very valuable). Also, it is good to see the praise after all the negative comments, but: WHY do you like the Colorado?

I realize there has been some specific info, and I'm not trying to stir a pot here, and I may be too dense to understand (all us smart people say that ;) ), but some rationale would help.

Well, you need to spend some time in the other Colorado threads. There are countless reasons people have already given over and over and over again as to what is good about the Colorado. Yet still people ask "Ummm, why do you like the Colorado? Why should I buy a Colorado? What is good about the Colorado?" as if none of these questions have EVER been answered.

Just spend the time researching.

Edited by nicolo

I had no idea that so many out-of-work comedians ALSO owned garmin GPS's.

Look, I, and others, are simply trying to add to the conversation. We do love the products but on the other side of the coin we're not Garmin cheerleaders either. I just don't want someone to read this thread and think its all butterfly's and rainbows when it comes to these units. But whatever, go for it, Lets all put on a smile and bask in the glorious light of the Colorado. ;)

That makes sense to me. I apologize for missing the point of this thread. I have been researching the Colorado since they came out and have craved one since the beginning. In all the threads I've been to, I see negative or mixed reviews. It is good to see people so enthusiastic about a GPS that got off to such a rough start. I was frustrated that this positive thread didn't help me in my decision process - but I see this isn't the right place.

I like mine and have never used it for geocaching.........I use it for navigation, trail riding and will eventually get CN NA NT 2009 or Mac 2008 to use in the car/truck. I may eventually try geocaching but want to learn how to use it as a mapping/tracks gps first. Btw, the RAM mount for motorcycles is first rate. Rider

I just don't want someone to read this thread and think its all butterfly's and rainbows when it comes to these units.

Boy....if some one sees this thread and MISSES the 300 threads Bit$#%ing about the Colorado....they are blind as a dead bat!

AND I have had nothing BUT butterflies and rainbows with mine.....and I don't mind telling people that!

Edited by CacheARRRS

I have been hearing a lot of negative comments on the Colorado lately. And i seem to be the only one not having problems. I just got it on the 30th mind you and it has been a dream. Got it for super cheap too. Less then i paid for my 60CSX which is saying a lot. Anyone else love it? Geocaching has been helluva fun now that its all paperless. Anyone else with some "Happy" comments?

I am having problems with my unit (i.e., missing topo maps) BUT I still really love the unit! I used it extensively last weekend for "power" cacheing, for pocket queries, paperless cacheing, logging my cache success, finding restaurants and directions to get to them, etc. Also, being a techno geek for many years, I can attest that all new hardware and software has issues. But, I still love being an "early adopter" and I take a "glass half full" attitude and roll with the issues that pop up.

At the end of the day, each of us needs to weigh the options for any purchase and then buy based on our individual tolerance levels for issues vs. features vs. support vs. price, etc.

Also, I'm thankful for forums like these where I can learn more about my unit and hopefully soon become a valuable contributer.

p.s. I love my 400t!

To start with, I'm not taking any side in the above discussion.

As I look through this thread, I see very enthusiastic support for the Colorado, and I can see it is very genuine - yet many comments have that 'BUT' attached. That confuses me. People are generic in their praise, ("I love my Colorado"); but specific in stating their problems, and there are quite a few. I find that interesting.

I realize there has been some specific info, and I'm not trying to stir a pot here, and I may be too dense to understand (all us smart people say that :) ), but some rationale would help.

You are correct that there is a lot of outdated information in the other threads and it can be very overwhelming trying to get an idea of the what works great and what can be improved. Which is why I am posting in this forum and eager to hear from those who are happy.

I have been considering an upgrade to the Colorado, primarily for the paperless geocaching capabilities. I know, originally, there were some issues. I also know that a number of firmware upgrades have taken care of many of them. I know that there are always improvements which can be made and some shortcomings will continue to be addressed. I want to know the current abilities with respect to a few items.

My questions are:

Can you download complete cache information from geocaching.com and use GSAK to move pocket queries onto the unit? Does this include the entire long and short cache description, ie for very long descriptions does anything get left out due to a character limitation?

Does it now show all the cache symbols on the map so you can see other caches in the area?

Does it now allow you to mark cache as found and "click' for find next cache as the 60csx and vistahcx do?

I really want one of these, but need it to be functional in these specific areas.

thanks for any input.

Can you download complete cache information from geocaching.com and use GSAK to move pocket queries onto the unit? Does this include the entire long and short cache description, ie for very long descriptions does anything get left out due to a character limitation?

Yes. It includes the long and short description. There were some limits on the length of the long description (4500 characters in 2.4) but it seems that in 2.51 they increased this, not sure what the new limit is (I'm sure there is one).

Does it now show all the cache symbols on the map so you can see other caches in the area?

Yes. The Groundspeak symbols are used.

Does it now allow you to mark cache as found and "click' for find next cache as the 60csx and vistahcx do?

Yes.

Check out the Geocaching section of the FAQ linked in my signature for more up to date information.

GO$Rs

'You are correct that there is a lot of outdated information in the other threads and it can be very overwhelming trying to get an idea of the what works great and what can be improved. Which is why I am posting in this forum and eager to hear from those who are happy.

I have been considering an upgrade to the Colorado, primarily for the paperless geocaching capabilities. I know, originally, there were some issues. I also know that a number of firmware upgrades have taken care of many of them. I know that there are always improvements which can be made and some shortcomings will continue to be addressed. I want to know the current abilities with respect to a few items.

My questions are:

I really want one of these, but need it to be functional in these specific areas.

thanks for any input.

I live about 2 miles from Huntersville NC (FWIW) and have bought (and returned) 3 400Ts from REI in Pineville.

I haven't addressed your questions in this response, but will offer some advice - buy your 400T from a place you can return it without a restocking charge - like REI.

Scmidtbaby,

Thanks for the reply.

Actually, I bought a Colorado 300 from the Pineville REI store yesterday. Joined as an REI member also.

I just posted my "one-day" experience on another thread, and will copy that at the end of this post.

As I state in post, I was pretty pleased today. How long is the return policy at REI in case some issue raises its ugly head to make me change my mind?

Were your problems the same with all three units or different issues?

COPY OF POST TO ANOTHER THREAD

_____________________________________________________________________________________

I wanted to share my experience as a recent owner of the Colorado 300.

I am in no way trying to minimize the issues others have had, but my first day out geocaching with it was excellent.

I have a Vista HCX which I have been very happy with. Before going with the HCX, I tried it side by side with the 60csx. I didn't see any difference in accuracy or performance between the two. With no discernible difference, I made my decision based on price and form factor.

I was intrigued by the Colorado primarily for the convenience of its paperless cache features.

Today, I compared the Colorado V 2.5.1 side by side with the Vista HCX.

Using the Colorado solely to find the caches ( and comparing direction and distance to cache with the HCX AFTER the caches were found ) I found 15 caches with NO PROBLEMS.

The paperless features are outstanding.

The screen readability is similar to the HCX.

The accuracy was similar to the HCX.

As I said, I haven't had it but one day and I may find things that don't work. Also, I am using it only for geocaching so I can't comment on other issues which may be important to others. Maybe I just got lucky with the Unit I have and maybe the latest firmware is a big improvement over earlier versions.

But so far, I am pretty pleased.

I will report if anything changes.

I've been a Magellan user for some time... first with the 350, the Pro'map' series and most recently the explorer (600). I ordered my 400t right off of Amazon while I was in the states and fell in love with it right away. I used it side by side with my eXploer 600 for a day of caching around Atlanta and just had a blast - especially enjoying the paperless features.

I live in Asia and travel widely, so the 'profile' feature is just right for me as I slip into and out of geocaching mode. My experience with accuracy and use for various 'modes of use' has been VERY positive. I'd argue my 400t is the best all purpose unit I know of. It handled the road work, trails, and city with ease... I was very comfortable with it once I got my confidence navigating through the features and menus. Not EVERYTHING is intuitive but it took me all of a day to get comfortable with finding all the FX and features I needed to get to... but that hasn't stopped me from REALLY appreciating the unit.

I'm using the device in SE Asia (I'm sure you've all seen the news lately about the quake)... and its performing every bit as well as the other units from Garmin. I haven't interfaced with with our mapping, GIS systems yet... but I'm expecting that to go well from what I've seen so far; I'll be sure to drop a note in here that that turns out not to be the case.

Take care! Savoy

Edited by Savoy

Scmidtbaby,

Thanks for the reply.

Actually, I bought a Colorado 300 from the Pineville REI store yesterday. Joined as an REI member also.

I just posted my "one-day" experience on another thread, and will copy that at the end of this post.

As I state in post, I was pretty pleased today. How long is the return policy at REI in case some issue raises its ugly head to make me change my mind?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1) You supposedly can return anything you bought at REI at any time - that's why I buy from them. The downside is that they usually do not sell at a deep discount. Also, as you may know they are putting in a store at Northlake Mall - much closer to you and I.

2) I have returned the 400Ts partly because what I perceived was inaacuracy while Geocaching , but have found the 60scx to be abput as inaccurate with as the 400T. These caches are under tree cover and neither the 400T or 60scx is cpable of getting to within 25 ft. without saying they are now 40 ft. in the opposite direction. Both cahes are on the Charlotte Greenway system in North Charlotte.

My real problem, with the Colordao series was the Odometer, when it was reporting that I had traveled less mileage than I had according to several other sources that pretty much agreed. These other sources were the 60scx, a Garmin Edge 305, a Cateye Bike Computer, and actual Mileage markers.

I really want a 400T, but just don't feel that the bugs have been worked out.

On another note, If you should wish to go compare my 60scx and your 300, we could go a Geocache together. Let me know as we appear to live close to each other. Maybe then we ould do a more accurate review of the two units .

Scmidtbaby,

I think we are cut from much the same cloth. When I make a significant "tech" purchase, I read a lot of reviews, do a lot of research, make my purchase, and do rigorous testing. I drive BestBuy and my wife nuts. Probably will be adding REI to that list.

When i made my initial purchase, I was deciding between a VistaHCX and a 60CSX. As I recall, there were many issues with the speed and odometer of the Vista as well. However, that was not a significant issue as I really only geocache. ( I purchased the Vista as it seemed as accurate for my purposes )

I have already traded my Colorado 300 for a 400T as it was only $ 50.00 more and I can see the topos coming in handy, as a few weeks ago I ended up 100 feet from a cache on the wrong side of wide creek.

So far, I am having the same success with the 400T. But perhaps, my standards aren't as high, or I don't know what I should be looking for. I am getting accuracies mostly 18-20 feet, sometimes 30 feet. I am getting good direction to the cache.

Interesting that you should suggest getting together and doing some side by side trials as I was planning on contacting you to offer the same. I can bring the 400T and my HCX and you can bring the 60CXS.

Maybe the results will tell us its all a crap shoot. LOL

PM me if interested and we can set something up almost anytime.

oh and did i mention i am a 60csx owner that used it religiously? i still love the colorado. it is a caching dream.

You're right, it IS a "CACHING" dream! Too bad it's not a HIKING dream, or a BACKCOUNTRY NAVIGATION dream, or a DATA ACQUISITION dream, or even a OPERATES AS STATED IN THE MANUAL dream. I hate to be that guy but. :)

Hold on! My 400t has really worked well when compared to the many earlier Garmin units I have owned. Some complaints/deficiencies are valid, though not fatal: the manual is close to worthless if you're a newbie; the Garmin downloadable software is opaque, outdated, clunky, and buggy; the unit does hang infrequently; the altimeter, odometer, and speedometer are off a bit when going slowly; and the compas wanders when one is still (who doesn't carry a real compas?). Battery consumption is an issue only for those few who keep the unit on continuously (unnecessary!). These are all old problems present in all of my previous Garmin units. These bugs did not significantly diminish the value or usefulness of these older units, and they are not significant with the 400t. Indeed, my 400t is a big overall improvement; it is much better than my eTrex Vista for every task, and it is easier to use. And, it is a geocacher's dream.

Edited by Chip7246

Here's my mini-review:

I just got my Colorado 400t this week despite the issues that others are reporting on this board. On the initial power up after inserting 2500 mAh NiMH batteries, the unit seemed to boot up in a reasonable time and picked up strong signals indoors. Navigating around with the various shortcuts as Garmin calls them, the Colorado seems to combine the best of Garmin's product lines. As a user of Magellans in the past, the Colorado features the functions of the explorist 600. With the navigation profile and a copy of City Nav maps, the unit behaves like a mini-nuvi. The Colorado also takes the heart rate monitor from the fitness products and incorporates it here.

One of the first things I did was turn on WAAS from the menu. Not sure why this was off to begin with since there are few if any disadvantages I've experienced with WAAS. Nonetheless, I was able to gain an accuracy in the 10-12 foot range while indoors! My location on the map seemed reasonable using neighborhood roads as a reference point.

From an engineering standpoint, the Colorado feels like a solid unit. The back cover is very secure when the latch is locked into place. The only drawback here is that it takes a little effort to pull the latch up when changing batteries or inserting an SD card. I would also like to see the back cover be more flush when locked into place with the rest of the casing for extra security and piece of mind that the insides won't get wet when it rains. The navigation wheel feels smooth when rolling and doesn't posess jerkiness. I found moving the wheel counter-clockwise to be the most natural feel. Buttons were easy to access with my thumb in the same hand. The joystick on the wheel took a little bit to get used to, but became easier to use than the joystick found on the Magellan eXplorists which at times felt unresponsive.

I bought the Colorado to eventually phase out my now obsolete Magellan units and I found the Colorado to be superior in every way except for the menu system which I have to give the nod to Magellan here. Navigating through the menus on the Colorado to find shortcuts seems too cumbersome and needs to be simplified a bit. But overall, I am very impressed with it and look foward to future firmware updates!

Edited by ryguyMN

Got a Colorado 400t here, about two weeks ago.

Coming from an eXplorist 600 (and an eTrex legend before that).

Couple bugs but overall this thing is a dream come true for power caching. Getting all day use out of two 2600mah Duracell Nimh batteries. Also have some Energizer 2500mah NiMH cells but I don't think the Colorado likes them. I really REALLY like the interface, and how quickly I can switch from street routing Nuvi style to Point-to-point with Topo maps. Way better than how the last GPS I owned handled that.

Put me down as "loves my 400t".

....and look foward to future firmware updates!

that does not mean you absolutely love the C :unsure:

Sure, the Colorado has got it's quirks and is by no means perfect...yet, but I like what Garmin is attempting here, and it is still fairly "polished" with firmware v. 2.40.

Edited by ryguyMN

Scmidtbaby,

Thanks for the reply.

COPY OF POST TO ANOTHER THREAD

_____________________________________________________________________________________

I wanted to share my experience as a recent owner of the Colorado 300.

I am in no way trying to minimize the issues others have had, but my first day out geocaching with it was excellent.

I have a Vista HCX which I have been very happy with. Before going with the HCX, I tried it side by side with the 60csx. I didn't see any difference in accuracy or performance between the two. With no discernible difference, I made my decision based on price and form factor.

I was intrigued by the Colorado primarily for the convenience of its paperless cache features.

Today, I compared the Colorado V 2.5.1 side by side with the Vista HCX.

Using the Colorado solely to find the caches ( and comparing direction and distance to cache with the HCX AFTER the caches were found ) I found 15 caches with NO PROBLEMS.

The paperless features are outstanding.

The screen readability is similar to the HCX.

The accuracy was similar to the HCX.

As I said, I haven't had it but one day and I may find things that don't work. Also, I am using it only for geocaching so I can't comment on other issues which may be important to others. Maybe I just got lucky with the Unit I have and maybe the latest firmware is a big improvement over earlier versions.

But so far, I am pretty pleased.

I will report if anything changes.

A follow-up to my impressions after my first day of caching with the Colorado

I have cached the last two days with my Colorado with very good results. I found 17 out of 21 attempted caches. The four that I did not find had not been found by anyone else in the last 4-6 weeks.

Those that I did find were very close to where the Colorado directed me. ( within 10 feet in most cases ). On at least two occasions, I walked to the indicated spot and started scanning a 15 foot circle, only to find the cache at my feet.

Now I've only been caching since February, but in general, you must remember that the most accurate gps is good to 10-15 feet. Coupled with the uncertainty of the accuracy of the cache placement leads to a possible error of 20-30 feet in the best of circumstances.

I think when you get to within 5 feet, it is probably partly luck. Primarily, I hope to get close and then use a combination of the hints, logs, and some "geocaching sense" to find the prize.

I have not found the Colorado to be more ( or less ) accurate than either the 60CXS or the VistaHCX which I have used. What is VERY NICE, is the ability to have all the tools, ie description, hints, logs etc in a convenient, paperless package.

In this regard, I continue to be pleased with the Colorado as an excellent geocaching companion.