travelbug - timeframe rules between locations

hiya im getting geared up to going on my first cache hunt. im interested in the geocoins and travelbugs. i intend to look for local caches where i live, and also when i visit other areas (which is at least twice a year)

if i picked up a coin or a travelbug with the intention to drop in another area, can anyone tell me if there is a time limit that i can hold onto it before i can drop it in another cache? i just never have an idea much in advance when i would be traveling.

hiya im getting geared up to going on my first cache hunt. im interested in the geocoins and travelbugs. i intend to look for local caches where i live, and also when i visit other areas (which is at least twice a year)

if i picked up a coin or a travelbug with the intention to drop in another area, can anyone tell me if there is a time limit that i can hold onto it before i can drop it in another cache? i just never have an idea much in advance when i would be traveling.

The Guidelines state that you should endeavor to move them within two weeks, and will highlight any in you inventory beyond this time.

If you intend keeping them longer than this is is good etiquette to email the owner asking if what you wish to do is ok.

Personally I've had some that are retained for great periods of time and have been placed in very remote places, I do not mind too much they are often safer with well intentioned movers. Other Peeps might be deeply offended - always check.

I usually ask the requester to post a note type log to the effect of what they wish to do, so that I don't chase the travellers up when they appear to stagnate for some time.

Good luck with your cache and traveller seeks. :o

I've keep TBs or Coins for a few months sometimes, but only after checking with the owner. If it says it wants to go somewhere and I know I'm going that way, then I usually give the owner the choice.

One thing you don't want to worry about is if you pick up a TB/Coin then take it home only to find that it has some mission that you have just interrupted. E.g. you pick up a TB from near London and take it back to Scotland, only to read on the website that it's mission is to get to Brighton, so you have just taken it 400 mles in the wrong direction.

If the owner didn't put a note/tag with it so that you can find out this info when you find it in the cache, then it is just hard luck. The purpose of a TB/Coin is to travel, so any TB that has not got its mission marked on it must be seen as fair game to travel anywhere. You never know, the next cacher to pick it up in Scotland might be heading to a Conference in Brighton the following week!

Welcome :o

Take some time to read the locked posts at the top of the page, they are helpful.

Just out of interest, how come you've been a member for nearly five years and haven't found any caches? ;)

i joined about five years ago when i first heard about geocaching. i didnt have a gps system at the time and with limited money i tried and failed to win many gps auctions on ebay., after many failed attempts i dropped the whole idea of geocaching and stopped coming to this site.

i suddenly got interested again after reading an online friend had become a geocacher. i still dont have a gps system but i did a bit of studying to see if my car sat nav could do the job cos i know many dont give offroad guidance. it turned out my sat nav, although a bit basic will help me with zoning into cache areas, i just need to do a bit of old fashioned brain and eye work to locate the treasure.

so here i am getting ready to go hunting my first cach within a few days. weather and small child permitting. :D

Just out of interest, how come you've been a member for nearly five years and haven't found any caches? ;)

i joined about five years ago when i first heard about geocaching. i didnt have a gps system at the time and with limited money i tried and failed to win many gps auctions on ebay., after many failed attempts i dropped the whole idea of geocaching and stopped coming to this site.

i suddenly got interested again after reading an online friend had become a geocacher. i still dont have a gps system but i did a bit of studying to see if my car sat nav could do the job cos i know many dont give offroad guidance. it turned out my sat nav, although a bit basic will help me with zoning into cache areas, i just need to do a bit of old fashioned brain and eye work to locate the treasure.

so here i am getting ready to go hunting my first cach within a few days. weather and small child permitting. :D

well good luck! if you're interested, there is a second hand sales thread on these forums, with UK cachers selling their older GPS units when they get fancy new ones! It might be a good place to pick one up for cheap!

Dave