ZonesEngine.dll Error

Urban Hunters

Hi,

Not 100% where this topic must go, but seeing that it is a builder technical issue here it goes.

I have installed the latest Wherigo Builder (alpha) 18/04/2008, but when I need to open a *lur file it gives me a ZonesEngine.dll and the program is not configured correctly. This problem might be fixed if you reinstall the program. I have done this a couple of times without any success.

It gives me the same error if I try to open a new test file that I have created using the builder. Some previous topics mentioned that they installed the previous version of the builder. Where can I obtain the previous version if that will fix the issue?

Your assistance with the error will be appreciated.

A number of people have had that problem. If you check out the Builder release from 4/16 thread I started, Ranger Fox posted a link to a site where he has placed all of the different builds. Get the one from 4/16 and install that, it works.

I'd have "markwelled" the thread, but I'm just not sure how to do that......

The link is: http://www.devfolio.com/geocaching/Wherigo/archive/

This is available as a courtesy and only until an archive is posted to the Wherigo site proper. The site itself is my development domain, so only direct links will take you places.

I can't seem to duplicate this problem. I just unistalled the builder and verified that the folder is gone. Then, I downloaded the latest (4/18) and installed and it runs fine. I suspected that the zonesengine.dll was a debug version, but, it's not for me. To verify, ZonesEngine.dll is 344KB with a date of 4/17/2008 3:28PM

David

Hi David

The file size and date seems to be ok. I have installed the previous version and it works 100%. I can understand the frustration trying to duplicate the error without success. If you can do that you can put the issue to bed. If there is any thing I can do on my side to assist, specific system configurations that might lead to the issue, etc just let me know.

Ivan

Hi David

The file size and date seems to be ok. I have installed the previous version and it works 100%. I can understand the frustration trying to duplicate the error without success. If you can do that you can put the issue to bed. If there is any thing I can do on my side to assist, specific system configurations that might lead to the issue, etc just let me know.

Ivan

if the file size and date are the same, then you have the correct ZonesEngine.dll. I haven't had any mass feedback that the 4/18 version is corrupt. Maybe there is something about your system settings. Usually, a dll not found error could be something about the file attributes etc.

David.

Could it have something to do with the fact that the 4/18 build was the first I'd ever installed?

It shouldn't be a problem. Any version of the builder that is posted should be backward compatible. After all, what good is an install if it doesn't support all of the features before it. Net result, the 4/18 install should be the only and last install for everyone.

David.

First, let me say I'm very new to Wherigo, so be gentle. With that being said, I'll throw out a couple of comments about issues I found recently which may be related.

As a test, I set up a simple guided tour which told you you were getting closer and closer to the final location. When you reached the location it would display the time it took to get there. Ran fine on the emulator -- not so on the Colorado.

The program worked fine as you approached the outer two areas surrounding the zone, but crashed when you entered the zone. At first I thought it was the math calculation for converting the time from seconds to minutes, but I removed the calculation and used seconds, and it still crashed. I removed the display of the time, and it crashed also.

I reworked the program tonight, calling tasks from the zone to display the messages and time in seconds, and it worked fine on the Colorado. This may be related to the issues you are having, and if so it may be a work-around.

Do you have any ideas what kind of system settings have to be changed for 4/18 version so that it will work? Earlier versions are working fine with the same system settings. It is possible that later versions are not working either...I see that this is quite serious problem although there are not so many who reported about that.

-Pekka

Edited by vphakli

I've had the problem on two different computers.

Can you (or someone else with the same problem) please post a legible screen shot or the exact text of the error message?

Thanks.

OK, I'm not sure how to grab a screen shot, I'd be willing to post one if someone can tell me how.

OK, I'm not sure how to grab a screen shot, I'd be willing to post one if someone can tell me how.

Click the window that contains the error (since the following takes a shot of the "current" window). Hold down CTRL and type the Print Screen key. From the Windows run box, run MSPAINT. Use Edit/Paste to open the image in MSPAINT. Use File/Save As to save the result as a JPEG file (you'll have to select JPEG from the drop-down list of file formats in the Save As dialog). Upload the JPEG as an attachment to your post.

Microsoft apparently had issues with SP3 for Windows XP recently. If you are running XP and have installed SP3, this may be an issue. Most of the issues were related to computers with AMD processors and spontaneous reboots, but who knows what else may be affected.