AREA 51

I "cached" next to Area 51 in the 90s when attending Desert Warfare Training at Indian Springs. We played all over the area up to the perimeter. We were using USGI GPS units before the most of the public had ever heard of GPS. The units then were about the size of Websters Dictionary and ate a ton of batteries. The screen showed not much more info than a Garmin yellow Etrex altho the unit had a lot more features. When the units were decrypted so we could get more accurate readings the units then became classified equipment requiring additional security measures just like any classified material. We had ammo cans scattered all over the area to conduct land nav courses. Also used the GPSs to locate stashed resupply drop points. It was great fun getting to hike thru some pretty neat country and going places where the public wasn't permitted.

I "cached" next to Area 51 in the 90s when attending Desert Warfare Training at Indian Springs. We played all over the area up to the perimeter. We were using USGI GPS units before the most of the public had ever heard of GPS. The units then were about the size of Websters Dictionary and ate a ton of batteries. The screen showed not much more info than a Garmin yellow Etrex altho the unit had a lot more features. When the units were decrypted so we could get more accurate readings the units then became classified equipment requiring additional security measures just like any classified material. We had ammo cans scattered all over the area to conduct land nav courses. Also used the GPSs to locate stashed resupply drop points. It was great fun getting to hike thru some pretty neat country and going places where the public wasn't permitted.

That so cool!!! :P

That so cool!!! ;)

It wasn't so cool during July and August. :D

Make sure you mean Las Vegas, NEVADA. We have a Las Vegas in New Mexico, too! :D

Back in 1991 I was moving from Jacksonville, NC to Seattle, WA by way of Wichita Falls, TX. Left WF around 3pm to head to Phoenix, I think, and then was going to stay the night there. Looked at the map and saw what I thought was a shortcut that would get me heading towards Denver faster. So I took it. It went right through Las Vegas, NM. The first thing I noticed driving through the desert area was signs for livestock crossing the road. I thought nothing of it.

The fastest I got on this road was 30 mph due to all the livestock crossing the road! Cows, horses, mules, wild animals. Scared the crap out me every turn I went around.

If it's really so secret how come I can zoom in on it using Google Earth? :laughing:

Probably because there hasn't been a canopy large enough to cover the hundreds of square miles that compose area 51.

But how do you know the pictures your looking at are really pictures of area 51?

Jim

Actually, if the truth be known, Area 51 is very old hat, very 1980s, very retro, if you know what I mean. The hot areas within the USA in the conspiracy theory world -- leaving aside the supposed matrix tunnels under Denver International Airport for a moment, and also ignoring the Holiday Inn in Martinsburg WV where conspiracy theorist/author Danny Casolaro was supposedly murdered in a staged suicide -- are currently area 29 and area 32. In fact, I have a rather bizarre Area 29 tale for you. Here goes:

While I was in Arizona on a research field trip last year, I was joined for two days of my trip by a well-known elderly semi-retired scientist -- who is a sometimes-colleague on certain special projects -- and his wife; they had driven in from their home in a nearby state and were staying in the hotel room next to mine. On the morning of their last day in Tempe, we had breakfast together at 6 AM at the hotel's restaurant, and I made the mistake of asking the retired scientist and his wife about their exact itinerary for the day, as they were planning to hit the road shortly for their drive back to their home city, about 500 miles away. Well, my semi-retired colleague, whom I will call "Tom" for the purposes of this discussion, looked me in the eye and with a totally straight face told me that he was planning on taking a detour on their return trip so that he could stop at a military reservation known as Area 29, because a mutual colleague of ours -- whom Tom claimed actually worked clandestinely for the USA Army at Area 29 -- had offered him a free 30 minute sightseeing tour to the far side of the moon, courtesy of "the aliens who share the facility with the US Army". When I asked him for a few more details about the sightseeing trip to the moon and the aliens, he calmly explained to me that the aliens, as a courtesy to high-ranking US military officials who cooperate with them, regularly offer these officials 30-minute sightseeing tours of the moon and 2-hour sightseeing tours of Mars using one of their "small ships", and it was one of these lunar trips that he would be embarking upon at about 2 PM, later in the day. And, he told me that the aliens in question were, of course, "...the blonde blue-eyed 8 foot-tall space aliens who had manned outposts on earth for millions of years before humans had evolved...". Well, after all these revelations, about all I could say to Tom was "I see! Well, have fun on your trip!".

If you have google earth, and type in area 51 it will take you right to it. We have a geocaching network that shows us all the geocaches- anywhere in the world (can't remember how we did it but we did) It shows plenty of geocaches there.

Black Rock City, NV is another cool one on Google Earth. Since it only exists for a week out of the year.

My dad installed a bunch of phone line out there (Area 51) in the late 60's early 70's. He still doesn't talk about it :(:)

Edited by LostinReno

<snip>

Well, my semi-retired colleague, whom I will call "Tom" for the purposes of this discussion,

<snip>

My brother's name is Tom. Coincidence? I think NOT!!!! :(:)

I love Vinny.

Why, whenever I stumble up on a post by Sionevil on this forum that mentions my name, is it invariably true that the Google banner ads ("Ad by Google") that appear at the top of the page are somehow ALWAYS connected with space aliens and/or UFOs? What IS it about Sionevil, anyway? And, how does Sionevil have access to the entire Autovon phone system at an obscure tiny Air Force base in Nebraska? How is it that she gets to use the entire network of Air Force communications satellites and surveillance satellites to spy on me?

Huh? :DB)

B)

B)

<snip>

Well, my semi-retired colleague, whom I will call "Tom" for the purposes of this discussion,

<snip>

My brother's name is Tom. Coincidence? I think NOT!!!! :D:D

I love Vinny.

Why, whenever I stumble up on a post by Sionevil on this forum that mentions my name, is it invariably true that the Google banner ads ("Ad by Google") that appear at the top of the page are somehow ALWAYS connected with space aliens and/or UFOs? What IS it about Sionevil, anyway? And, how does Sionevil have access to the entire Autovon phone system at an obscure tiny Air Force base in Nebraska? How is it that she gets to use the entire network of Air Force communications satellites and surveillance satellites to spy on me?

Huh? :D:ph34r:

:P

:D

Because

I'm

Just

That

Good

!!

I was watching a movie on TV about the ten most scariest places in America and area 51 was one of them. (Nope not 29 or 32). If I recall correctly they said there are signs posted in that area stating that authorities have a right to shoot trespassers. That would probably put a damper on my geocaching in that area.

Edited by Luckless

If it's really so secret how come I can zoom in on it using Google Earth? :anitongue:

Probably because there hasn't been a canopy large enough to cover the hundreds of square miles that compose area 51.

I'm pretty sure it's generally well accepted that the majority of the base is underground. All you can really see on Google Earth is some runways cut into the lake bed, and some airplane hangers. Nothing to alien there, but going underground is a completely different story.