BM from NGS data not in Groundspeak file

geode hunter

I have downloaded and converted the all the county files for Indiana and Kentucky - converted them to gpx and cachemate files.

Found this one "FBN Shouse PID DG8017" N38º 02.429 W085º 20.265

It exists very acurately on its coordinates and the description is perfect. however it does not seem to exist in the Groundspeak data base.

Does this happen often?

Is there any way to report the find?

From the FAQ:

To answer this question, you need to understand a bit about what "the database" is. The database used by Geocaching.com is a copy (from around 2000) of the database that NGS maintains. Although the NGS database has lots of marks in it, it does not have them all. In order for a mark to get into NGS's database, it has to go through a process known as "bluebooking" which ensures the disk meets the minimum requirements to be of geodetic quality (aka the highest quality possible). The NGS is not the only organization that creates and uses benchmarks and other types of control markers. In order for any mark to get "in the database" they must be "bluebooked", which can take a lot of time and effort and is often not done to save money. Remember, even though some marks might not be in the database, they are still highly important, both to businesses and to individual citizens such as your neighbors, so please treat them with respect, while enjoying the thrill of the hunt. We'll try to find other databases and add them to the site as well. If you have access to one of these databases and would like to submit it to Groundspeak, contact us.

Since the Groundspeak benchmark database was obtained from the NGS in the year 2000, newer benchmarks and recent reports on older marks will not be visible here in Groundspeak's copy. Besides new disks, there are many cases of benchmarks monumented significantly before 2000 but entered the NGS database only after the year 2000.

Maybe coming in the back door on this one, but after fulfilling a request for information on a mark that I found in Aug 2011; I spent a bit of time snooping around southern Stearns Co, Minn and discovered that there are multiple NGS marks is several MNDOT strings from the 1960's & 70's that did not make it into Geocache. Strings partially checked were 7302, 7303, 7315 and 7316. A few missing 1996 TRI's were also noted - MIES, BETSY & IDER.

Would anyone that has done quite a bit of benchmark hunting around that area know if there was some other reason besides late blue booking that caused these to be missed by Geocache?

7316 A does have a 1996 history:

DG7840 HISTORY - 1979 MONUMENTED MNDT

DG7840 HISTORY - 19960430 GOOD MNDT

DG7840

DG7840 STATION DESCRIPTION

DG7840

DG7840'DESCRIBED BY MN DEPT OF TRANSP 1996 (WAS)

DG7840'THE MARK WAS RECOVERED IN GOOD CONDITION. THE MARK IS LOCATED 1.1 MI

DG7840'(1.8 KM) SE ON TH 55 FROM JCT OF TH 15 AND TH 55 IN KIMBALL, AT TH 55

DG7840'MP 133.15, 24.5 FT (7.5 M) NE OF TH 55.

kayakbird

after fulfilling a request for information on a mark that I found in Aug 2011;

Ooh, I'll have to check my e-mail.

Strings partially checked were 7302, 7303, 7315 and 7316.

I am looking at a 7302 myself. Found near a destroyed mark, but the description needs to be changed. I can't get at it at the moment, due to construction.

Would anyone that has done quite a bit of benchmark hunting around that area know if there was some other reason besides late blue booking that caused these to be missed by Geocache?

7316 A does have a 1996 history:

DG7840 HISTORY - 1979 MONUMENTED MNDT

DG7840 HISTORY - 19960430 GOOD MNDT

Similar with 7302 A

DG7842 HISTORY - Date Condition Report By

DG7842 HISTORY - 1979 MONUMENTED MNDT

DG7842 HISTORY - 19960430 GOOD MNDT

And there's a 1996 description by MnDOT at NGS.

Note it also has a "DG" PID.

Late bluebooking? Geocaching.com missed these somehow? I don't know.

Further west, 7380 AK was monumented in 1976, but not stamped until 2008. NGS PID DM4878.