The Nerve of Some Cachers

BiT

I have to say... I've left my share of "why exactly did you bring us here?" logs. I've even started adding a feature to my cache pages titled "Why Am I Bringing You Here"! But after looking at the photos in the logs for the cache in question, I can't figure out what there is to complain about... looks like a nice spot in the woods to me. I don't typically leave the "Why Here" logs unless the place is strewn with garbage, old appliances and used syringes. :P

BTW... I think you posting a note on the cache page calling them out for their logs is kinda un-called for, but that's just my opinion.

DCC

Just saw The Leprechauns photo of the area... Bushwhacking? Woods like that can be covered by an old guy like me in 15 minute miles. So car to cache in 5 minutes doesn't seem like much to complain about. But just wait until all these NCLB kids get to be caching age. We'll have to load them into a cart and take them there. :P

This thread is dripping with irony.

In threads where people are bashing LPCs one of the main complaints is "Why bring me here, what's so special about a view of a parking lot"? There's also a lot of complaints that if the LPC cache had been placed just a little further down the road there was a nice park, or a really good view of something, or anything other than lamp posts.

So this cacher wants to complain about the view on this cache. He asks what's so special about the view standing in the middle of trees. He's not allowed to complain about the lack of view either? It seemed to me he was trying to say that it would have been nice if the cache had been placed a little bit further up the hill with a nice view of the valley, or a rock formation, or a waterfall, or something other than the same view of trees he's had for the past hour of walking.

Why does a view of a parking lot condemn a cache to lameness (even if the view had nothing to do with the reason for placing the cache) and a view of trees, trees, and more trees makes a cache great and justifies calling the person complaining about it names in the forums?

I'll defend this cache right along with the LPCs to anyone complaining about it, and say that if you don't like it then it's probably because of your attitude and lack of appreciation, but I'm guessing most of the people reading this will say to themselves, "What would you expect from Mushtang, of course he's going to chime in and defend LPCs".

As I said, very ironic what's going on here.

I would not have expected anything else than the response above from Mushtang, for of course he is gonna chime in and defend LUMs -- it is well-known that he is a paid agent provocateur/misinformation agent working on behalf of the Illuminati and the New World Order conspiracy, precisely the entities that created LUMs in the first place as a tool for destroying the souls of humans. In fact, if I may draw a comparison, the above post from Mushtang in defense of LUMs is precisely the kind of post that Hitler would have written if he were alive. (note to self: Godwin's Law has now been invoked for this thread.)

:P

(...just kidding! Once I had read your post, Mushtang, I could not resist the temptation to write what I did above! :P:P )

Comments like those just help you figure who to seek out for interesting conversation at an event. And who not to.

These are the type of people I would like listening to at an event. :P

Bad cache, eh? Good enough for a find count tho huh. :P

"Why did you bring me here?" "To find a cache; why did you come here?"

I went to a restaurant last night and while I was waiting for a table I decided to go find the cache in the parking lot. But as I checked my GPS I realized there wasn't a cache in the parking lot. Egads! So I quickly found the restaurant manager and complained, loudly, so he'd not misunderstand how angry I was.

After I spent 20 minutes explaining geocaching and how the game works he asked me who told me there would be a geocache in the parking lot. When I told him nobody did he asked why I came there looking for one. I said I didn't, I came here to eat. He said, "we've got lots of good food, why are you complaining" and I replied, "Because the last two restaurants I ate at had a geocache in the parking lot".

Okay, not really.

I would not have expected anything else than the response above from Mushtang, for of course he is gonna chime in and defend LUMs -- it is well-known that he is a paid agent provocateur/misinformation agent working on behalf of the Illuminati and the New World Order conspiracy, precisely the entities that created LUMs in the first place as a tool for destroying the souls of humans. In fact, if I may draw a comparison, the above post from Mushtang in defense of LUMs is precisely the kind of post that Hitler would have written if he were alive. (note to self: Godwin's Law has now been invoked for this thread.)

(...just kidding! Once I had read your post, Mushtang, I could not resist the temptation to write what I did above! :P:P )

I must strongly disagree with your assumption that Musthang is in fact Hitler. In fact IMHO you and your line of thinking have fallen victim to association fallacy.

Isn't internet/forum logic just spellbinding.

[That was sarcatic humor for those that missed it.]

While the log may have sounded a little rude, if it was written about one of my cache hides I wouldn't give it a second thought. If someone has a problem with my cache, let me know. If I agree, I will learn from it. If I don't agree, I will ignore it.

However, posting a note in one of my caches, in response to such a log is very rude. Of the two ( Log and note) I would say the note is way over the top on the rude scale. If you have a problem with a log in MY cache pages, take it to the forum, not MY cache page. :P

While the log may have sounded a little rude, if it was written about one of my cache hides I wouldn't give it a second thought. If someone has a problem with my cache, let me know. If I agree, I will learn from it. If I don't agree, I will ignore it.

However, posting a note in one of my caches, in response to such a log is very rude. Of the two ( Log and note) I would say the note is way over the top on the rude scale. If you have a problem with a log in MY cache pages, take it to the forum, not MY cache page. :P

If it were my cache I would be more likely to take offence at and to delete the notes than the found it log.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Seriously, if someone doesn't like a cache, do you want them to lie in their log and say "great cache"?

Seriously? Everyone is entitled to their opinion? True. And most people expect a little tact. These guys forgot it somewhere. Rather than whining about a perfectly fine cache that they simply did not like, they should have just shut up and moved on. Log it found and SL. No need to run down the cache. What exactly was the point in doing that? And if they felt an overcoming urge to say something, they could have said it in a much more tactful way. Constructive criticism is much preferred over whiny criticism.

I went and looked at the logs and can't see how they are running down the cache. They said they don't see the view and thought it should be a higher difficulty. It's not like they went into a 10-paragraph rant on why, in their opinion, the cache wasn't good.

People don't like some caches. Deal with it and move on. From what they wrote, it's definitely not worth getting into an uproar over.

I'll defend this cache right along with the LPCs to anyone complaining about it, and say that if you don't like it then it's probably because of your attitude and lack of appreciation

I think you and I would get along pretty well :P

Add me to that as well. I agree fully.

I'll defend this cache right along with the LPCs to anyone complaining about it, and say that if you don't like it then it's probably because of your attitude and lack of appreciation

I think you and I would get along pretty well ;)

I've been watching XopherN71 and softball29 for a while now. I'm impressed how easily they have grasped the concept that not everybody likes vanilla ice cream. However, they have not yet grasped the concept that not everybody likes vanilla ice cream. When somebody complains that vanilla ice cream is taking over and they wished that the restaurant would serve some other flavors shouldn't they be allowed to say so? And what happen if you are allergic to chocolate and the store sells you chocolate ice cream but it is in the same container as vanilla ice cream so you can't tell them apart? Unlike Mushtang, I will defend anyone's right to complain about a cache - so long as they understand that the fact that they didn't enjoy that cache doesn't imply that everyone else would not enjoy that cache. :o

Toz likes Vanilla icecream (LPC's)....lol ;)

Don't be silly. Everyone knows that vanilla ice cream is an ammo can on the top of a mountain. :o

(of course if there is no Rocky Road that you can drive up in your Jeep how would you know?)

Edited by tozainamboku

Just spend less time worrying about what other geocachers are doing and more time having fun doing what you enjoy, the way you enjoy doing it. Unless a cache blows up on me or leaks anthrax or something, I'll enjoy the find.

Hopefully those won't be my famous last words.

Edited by XopherN71

I like ice cream.

I like ice cream eaters that like ice cream, any kind of ice cream.

I like ice cream eaters that tell me what kind of ice cream they like.

I like ice cream eaters that tell me what kind of ice cream they don't like.

I don't like ice cream eaters that don't like ice cream eaters that don't like to eat the ice cream they eat.

Edited by Totem Clan

I like ice cream.

I like ice cream eaters that like ice cream, any kind of ice cream.

I like ice cream eaters that tell me what kind of ice cream they like.

I like ice cream eaters that tell me what kind of ice cream they don't like.

I don't like ice cream eaters that don't like ice cream eaters that don't like to eat the ice cream they eat.

Most importantly I like it when the ice cream is on the outside of the cache container.

Sorry, can't resist adding my thoughts to this thread.

I didn't think the logs posted were that bad. They didn't enjoy the experience and wrote about it in their logs. They weren't profane, they weren't even really that rude. I don't see the big deal.

Responding to someone else's logs by posting a Note on the cache page is bad form. That sort of thing should be done through private messages and not on a cache page.

If it were my cache, the Finds would be left along but the two additional Notes would be removed.

If he'd complained about an LPC instead, none of these people would raise an eyebrow. Most would be complaining right along with him.

It's just ironic.

The isolated complaint of a persnickety cacher is fine by me. They don't like something and they want to share. Whatever.

Stating my preferences in the forum about certain types of caches is not the same thing.

I don't like LPC's. If I stated so when logging an LPC, then that would be ironic.

Edited by BlueDeuce

Sorry, can't resist adding my thoughts to this thread.

I didn't think the logs posted were that bad. They didn't enjoy the experience and wrote about it in their logs. They weren't profane, they weren't even really that rude. I don't see the big deal.

Responding to someone else's logs by posting a Note on the cache page is bad form. That sort of thing should be done through private messages and not on a cache page.

If it were my cache, the Finds would be left along but the two additional Notes would be removed.

ayep.

One thing the now "notorious" cachers did was give constructive criticism regarding the terrain rating.

I enjoy this type of criticism on my caches since my idea of terrain and those hunting my caches often differ.

Edited after reading up on how to use apostrophes. :o

Edited by cache-n-dash
Unlike Mushtang, I will defend anyone's right to complain about a cache

Huh? I don't think I've ever tried to keep people from complaining about a cache. Folks can complain about LPCs all day long, I only get upset when they want to see them banned or they suggest that nobody else could possibly like them.

And in this particular thread, I'm pointing out that many forum regulars are chastising the logger mentioned in the OP for complaining about a view they didn't like, which to them was just as boring as a parking lot. Yet these people don't have a problem complaining about the view in a parking lot in every other thread.

Or something like that. I know I didn't say that the best way. It's the end of a long day at work and I'm headed home.

Well maybe I did jump the gun by posting a note to the cache page. I happened to find this cache and the other caches on the nearby ridgetops a few months back. Plus I enjoy the hidders hides. I was just shocked at the logs given that the cache page doesn't sell it as a cache with a view.

I wonder if the owner of the cache is worked up about this whole mess...(anyone else notice that he hasn't posted?)

Now, if it were my cache, I would most likely ignore the griping in the found logs. IF they really irritated me, I would encrypt them. But they would have to cause me to start pooping pearls before I would do that.

On the other hand, I would delete the notes toot-sweet. They serve no purpose in the care and feeding of the cache itself, and in fact, are simply using the listing as a forum. Which is frowned upon.

Cache owner has 0 posts.

Smart individual... hasn't posted because he/she stays away from the forums :o

There are times I'm envious of those people, but I've also learned a lot here and for that I'm grateful.

Edited by XopherN71

you'd better reward the finder

Why? Someone decided that he would use his own time and money to put out a cache that others could find for free.

These others will then come and hunt for the cache (paying nothing for the privilege). They will enjoy or they won't. Either way, each person is responsible for what they take away from the experience. There is no obligation for cache owner or cache hider to make the other happy.

(Of course, there is no reason to try and make someone else unhappy either.)

I think it would help if people stop and think about what they write.

If I was the cache owner, how would I feel reading a post worded this way? Is it helpful? Or will it just make me feel bad and discourage me from hiding another?

or

If I was the poster who was, perhaps, less than tactful, how would I feel about the response? If I am overwhelmed with attacks, will this just encourage me to flame more people? Or perhaps quit the game?

Sometimes people don't remember there is a real person (with feelings) on the other end of the mouse.

And if you do forget... it never hurts to suck it up and say your sorry.

I think you and I would get along pretty well :o

I've been watching XopherN71 and softball29 for a while now. I'm impressed how easily they have grasped the concept that not everybody likes vanilla ice cream. However, they have not yet grasped the concept that not everybody likes vanilla ice cream. When somebody complains that vanilla ice cream is taking over and they wished that the restaurant would serve some other flavors shouldn't they be allowed to say so? And what happen if you are allergic to chocolate and the store sells you chocolate ice cream but it is in the same container as vanilla ice cream so you can't tell them apart? Unlike Mushtang, I will defend anyone's right to complain about a cache - so long as they understand that the fact that they didn't enjoy that cache doesn't imply that everyone else would not enjoy that cache. ;)

Huh?

I think I've grasped things quite well. I've stated my stance often: Play the game as you see fit and don't worry how others play. Therefore, if someone posts a log that you don't like, ignore it and move on.

Seems pretty simple.

People can say what they want. I have no problem with that. People should just worry about enjoying how they do and play the game. Enough said.

Outside of that, I have no clue what this post means.

What about low-find cachers who go to a place looking for an easy six-find cache hunt only to complain that the caches hidden in the guard rails couldn't possibly have been placed there with permission, and then proceed to petition to have the entire series shut down. Oh, and they complained at how 'disappointing' the whole thing was because they weren't stealthy enough to avoid detection?

Makes me want to quit hiding any frigging thing...

Supposedly they have 500+ finds, but have never, EVER hunted a single cache that wasn't placed on property without the owner's express permission. How many of us ask for permission from the owner (including city, county and state entities) when placing caches under lamp skirts, in and around guard rails and even at the base of a tree in a park? Should this be a different topic? Naw... complainers are still just that...

Edited by The GeoGadgets Team
I find few things more irritating in caching than an owner (or other) who doesn't think I can write a log that says I didn't really like the cache. I don't dispute the log in question could have been written in a way that conveyed the message without being whiney, but they have the right to say they didn't like the cache. As a cache owner I would much rather see an honest log about the experience than "found it, SL." I'm a big boy and can handle criticism. Constructive is better but you can decide how to respond to criticism. Learn from it or whine about it.
Tell them you don't like it. But don't do it in a way that makes you look like a whiny, entitled, jerk. The internet does this a lot. People are relatively anonymous, and you get people talking and acting as they never would in person. I highly doubt those two would talk like that to the cache owners face. So why do it on the internet? What ever happened to manners?
This thread is proof that your post is true.

I'm a little slow today, and not quite understanding your reply. But if it was against me, I have this to say. I call them like I see them. And I would say it to thier face if the situation called for it. I don't just say things like that because I am hiding behind a keyboard. I'm one of the nicest guys you will ever meet. I practice good manners, and I am genuinly friendly. But, if unprovoked you start acting rude, talking down to me, talking behind my back, I'm going to respond. The guys hated this cache. OK. No need to degrade the owners choice of placement in the tone that they did. He might have just called him stupid and got it over with. Afterall, any other person places caches in more interesting places. How stupid and unthoughtful for him to place this one there. :D

But I guess it is all how you read it. Anyway, I am moving on to bigger and better things. Or whatever the next newest post on the board is. ;)

Edited by Lurch77

you'd better reward the finder

Why? Someone decided that he would use his own time and money to put out a cache that others could find for free.

These others will then come and hunt for the cache (paying nothing for the privilege). They will enjoy or they won't. Either way, each person is responsible for what they take away from the experience. There is no obligation for cache owner or cache hider to make the other happy.

(Of course, there is no reason to try and make someone else unhappy either.)

Did you see the frog eating ice cream at the end of my post? I was being a bit sarcastic in saying the that hider was responsible for getting a less than glowing log. My assumption is that the hider hid a cache that he would enjoy. It would be impossible to hide a cache that everybody would enjoy so I agree it is silly to hold the cache owner responsible for ensuring that everyone enjoys the cache.

Of course part of the reason the cache owner hid a cache here was seeing/hearing a wild turkey. Chances are the turkey won't be there when the finder goes to look for the cache. Unlike the person who logged disappointment that there was nothing to see at the cache site, I don't expect caches to always take me to an interesting place. I look for the experience of getting there and often the experience of the search itself to justify a cache. However, I understand that some people prefer caches that take them someplace special. There is nothing wrong with people criticizing a cache because they didn't enjoy it for some reason. This is not something that should be taken as criticism of the hider.

People can say what they want. I have no problem with that. People should just worry about enjoying how they do and play the game. Enough said.

Realizing that different people enjoy caching for different reasons is not enough. Every time there is a thread by someone complaining of some kind of cache that they think is "lame", the SDOEL come out to make the point that some people may like to find that type of cache and accuse the people critical of that type of cache of having the wrong attitude. The point I'm trying to make (with intentionally silly sounding ice cream analogies) is that the right attitude is to complain about caches you don't like and praise the caches you do like. Make suggestions that other cachers can choose whether or not they would like to follow in the hopes that it would encourage some people to hide more of what you like. Ask for tools to help plan your caching to optimize your fun. Perhaps there are better ways to avoid the caches you find lame or to find the ones you would feel are exceptional. Sometimes the SDOEL jump to the conclusion that the complainers are only interesting in banning the caches they don't like. I think most calls for banning are simply expressing frustration with the current tools available for filtering caches and aren't seriously calling to change guidelines to eliminate some caches. I think Totem Clan got it right with his ice cream analogy.

Realizing that different people enjoy caching for different reasons is not enough. Every time there is a thread by someone complaining of some kind of cache that they think is "lame", the SDOEL come out to make the point that some people may like to find that type of cache and accuse the people critical of that type of cache of having the wrong attitude. The point I'm trying to make (with intentionally silly sounding ice cream analogies) is that the right attitude is to complain about caches you don't like and praise the caches you do like. Make suggestions that other cachers can choose whether or not they would like to follow in the hopes that it would encourage some people to hide more of what you like. Ask for tools to help plan your caching to optimize your fun. Perhaps there are better ways to avoid the caches you find lame or to find the ones you would feel are exceptional. Sometimes the SDOEL jump to the conclusion that the complainers are only interesting in banning the caches they don't like. I think most calls for banning are simply expressing frustration with the current tools available for filtering caches and aren't seriously calling to change guidelines to eliminate some caches. I think Totem Clan got it right with his ice cream analogy.

Sorry, but my head is spinning here.

I never said I disagree with negative logs. In fact, I enjoy seeing them. In the few caches I've placed, if there were negative logs, I would welcome them and any suggestions on how to make it better.

When I've joined these conversations on this board it's because people are just being one-sided and silly. That's when I say the thing about people doing it their own way. Some people don't realize that their opinion isn't the only way, and to be honest, that bothers me.

I also realize that people aren't going to like everything (pretty much like I do). People are finicky -- I deal with so many different types every day with my job. And I'm fine with that, too. On top of that, I also know that a lot of people don't like nanos or micros and others don't like the 5-mile (or longer) hikes to get one cache, just to be on top of a hill/mountain and see a view of a valley. That's fine too.

I like 'em all. I cache because it gets me outside, gives me something to do and makes me forget the real world for a bit. I know some people make it a "sport" and it's all about competition and trying to "win," but I just have fun.

So to say that realizing people cache for different reasons isn't enough seems silly to me. Why isn't it? If everyone realized that we all cache for different reasons, this game would be a lot more fun and I dare say there'd be less complaining.

Did you see the frog eating ice cream at the end of my post? I was being a bit sarcastic in saying the that hider was responsible for getting a less than glowing log.

If you place a cache where you have to bushwhack through briars 1/3 mile up a hill you'd better reward the finder with a spectacular view of a waterfall or something if you don't want to get logs complaining about it. Just because you heard a wild turkey gobbling there when you hid it doesn't mean every finder will enjoy that encounter with wildlife. I'm sorry but the logs describe the finders' experience doing this cache. Clearly if you don't want to get this sort of log you need to hide caches that reward the finders with something more than a non-existent turkey for their effort. ;)

Considering that only 7% of communication is verbal and the remaining 93% comes from body language and tone of voice, both of which are lacking in this type of medium. Considering that the language of the post seems to support the idea that the cache must conform to the finders idea of a quality cache. Considering that the ice cream frog is at the end of the post. Considering that an ice cream frog is not exactly standard nomenclature. Considering that the ice cream frog is the only indication that you might be using sarcasm.

Yeah, I missed your "sarcasm"

Did you see the frog eating ice cream at the end of my post? I was being a bit sarcastic in saying the that hider was responsible for getting a less than glowing log.

If you place a cache where you have to bushwhack through briars 1/3 mile up a hill you'd better reward the finder with a spectacular view of a waterfall or something if you don't want to get logs complaining about it. Just because you heard a wild turkey gobbling there when you hid it doesn't mean every finder will enjoy that encounter with wildlife. I'm sorry but the logs describe the finders' experience doing this cache. Clearly if you don't want to get this sort of log you need to hide caches that reward the finders with something more than a non-existent turkey for their effort. ;)

Considering that only 7% of communication is verbal and the remaining 93% comes from body language and tone of voice, both of which are lacking in this type of medium. Considering that the language of the post seems to support the idea that the cache must conform to the finders idea of a quality cache. Considering that the ice cream frog is at the end of the post. Considering that an ice cream frog is not exactly standard nomenclature. Considering that the ice cream frog is the only indication that you might be using sarcasm.

Yeah, I missed your "sarcasm"

Like everything else, there is a small learning curve. We all get the communication problems. You just missed the clue he was tongue in cheek. Frogs in general are standard fare here for displaying such emoticons.

Like everything else, there is a small learning curve. We all get the communication problems. You just missed the clue he was tongue in cheek. Frogs in general are standard fare here for displaying such emoticons.

Actually the ice cream eating frog has a special meaning in this forum - especially in threads like this one. I often forget that not everybody know what the ice cream eating frog represents. The popcorn eating frog stand for drama - "I'm just going to sit back and watch the fireworks because you posted something that is likely to draw a lot of arguments".

The ice cream eating frog means that while everybody might like ice cream, we all have a different favorite flavor. It started in a thread about lame micros. The usual back and forth between those who complained that these caches were not fun and wished people would stop hiding them and those who said that people are enjoying these cache because so many people look for them as well as hide them went on for several pages. Someone tried to derail the thread - perhaps hoping the moderators would lock it - by posting that they liked ice cream. However many people soon realized that ice cream was just a metaphor for geocaches. So the thread went on and on debating what flavors of ice cream you liked. Someone made up the icon of Signal eating an ice cream cone. Jeremy liked so much he added it to the list of smilies. Now people know that when you see the frog eating ice cream it means that everyone has different tastes in caches. ;) (I have no idea what a frog in a ninja mask means. Maybe he's jealous of those turtles?)

Actually the ice cream eating frog has a special meaning in this forum - especially in threads like this one. I often forget that not everybody know what the ice cream eating frog represents. The popcorn eating frog stand for drama - "I'm just going to sit back and watch the fireworks because you posted something that is likely to draw a lot of arguments".

The ice cream eating frog means that while everybody might like ice cream, we all have a different favorite flavor. It started in a thread about lame micros. The usual back and forth between those who complained that these caches were not fun and wished people would stop hiding them and those who said that people are enjoying these cache because so many people look for them as well as hide them went on for several pages. Someone tried to derail the thread - perhaps hoping the moderators would lock it - by posting that they liked ice cream. However many people soon realized that ice cream was just a metaphor for geocaches. So the thread went on and on debating what flavors of ice cream you liked. Someone made up the icon of Signal eating an ice cream cone. Jeremy liked so much he added it to the list of smilies. Now people know that when you see the frog eating ice cream it means that everyone has different tastes in caches. :D (I have no idea what a frog in a ninja mask means. Maybe he's jealous of those turtles?)

Usually when posted at the end of a comment it becomes more about stirpot.gif;)

Edited by TotemLake

Clearly if you don't want to get this sort of log you need to hide caches that reward the finders with something more than a non-existent turkey for their effort.

I'm not taking sides in the issue here, but I just have to say that this is one of the best quotes I've ever read on the forums here. A non-existent turkey--classic! I can just see it working its way into everyday cacher conversations:

Joe: So, Bob, how was the cache?

Bob: It sucked. All I found was a non-existent turkey.

Joe: Uh. How do you find something that doesn't exist?

Bob: nevermind

I find few things more irritating in caching than an owner (or other) who doesn't think I can write a log that says I didn't really like the cache. I don't dispute the log in question could have been written in a way that conveyed the message without being whiney, but they have the right to say they didn't like the cache. As a cache owner I would much rather see an honest log about the experience than "found it, SL." I'm a big boy and can handle criticism. Constructive is better but you can decide how to respond to criticism. Learn from it or whine about it.
Tell them you don't like it. But don't do it in a way that makes you look like a whiny, entitled, jerk. The internet does this a lot. People are relatively anonymous, and you get people talking and acting as they never would in person. I highly doubt those two would talk like that to the cache owners face. So why do it on the internet? What ever happened to manners?
This thread is proof that your post is true.
I'm a little slow today, and not quite understanding your reply. But if it was against me, I have this to say. ...
My post wasn't 'against' you, necessarily. Edited by sbell111