The Nerve of Some Cachers

BiT

It's the same thing as seeing a cacher post a needs maintenance because they could not find a cache. When you look at their cache count they only have 20 finds. Sometimes experience is needed. Sometimes people don't appreciate the things others do. Not worth getting frustrated over.

It's the same thing as seeing a cacher post a needs maintenance because they could not find a cache.

Does that actually happen? Bejeezers!

Anyway, I guess these particular cachers just don't appreciate being in the woods. Maybe they couldn't actually see the woods...

It is amazing how hard it is to see the woods around a 4 square inch lcd display. :P

Sounds to me like they probably encounter more than November's "few scattered briers" (when the cache was listed) and hoped the bushwhack would reward them with any of the cool natural features they listed, which it apparently didn't. Didn't sound harsh to me, just blunt and honest.

How the logs are suppose to mean these cachers run 1/1 PQs, enjoy caches behind dumpsters (clearly they wanted views, waterfalls, etc) or don't appreciate being in the woods is beyond me. They didn't find it necessary to put down the cache owner, so don't really see the point in insulting them.

I really enjoyed this cache and have been watching it. Then this log came in today and I was shocked!

Read the May 4th logs.

Gobblers Knob

By reading the other logs and the page, it looks like they went in to it the wrong way.

It's only an opinion. If everyone was expected to write only positive logs, then how would you be able to tell which ones were honest?

BTW, if you really enjoyed it you should have wrote that in your log. :P

Edited by 4wheelin_fool

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Seriously, if someone doesn't like a cache, do you want them to lie in their log and say "great cache"?

My point as well. Can't make everybody happy. Don't worry about it and move on with life.

Next time be sure to clear some of that nature away so it doesn't affect the "view".

Personally I think each cache is going to give you exactly what you expect. If you expect a crappy view, a bug-ridden mosquito infested hike to a cache buried beneath a snake pit, you can pretty much expect to find something along that line. IMHO, I enjoy caching and seeing new sites. At every cache I look around to try to find what the cache owner found interesting about that spot. It might be a beautiful view, a cool nearby sculpture, a hike intended to build my leg muscles. I go to each cache with a positive attitude, and so I have enjoyed EVERY cache I have found. I refuse to allow those negative people to ruin MY enjoyment of the sport! I appreciate the effort cache owners have gone to for my enjoyment. Unfortunately, too many people seem to think they are entitled to more than they were offered. Keep enjoying that cache & don't let other's ruin it for you! :P

A bushwack through open woods in a State Park/State Forest area, hidden with permission? Sign me up. I have added this cache to my "to-do" bookmark list. What's more, this park is centrally located in an area I had planned on visiting this summer as part of my quest to find caches in each of Ohio's 88 counties. Now I know of a pretty area with a quality ODNR campground, all thanks to a complaining log, and a forum thread.

I love it when a plan comes together.

EDIT to add photos as I research my trip plans:

Photo of nearby Pike Lake. Makes me want to camp here.

pikelake.jpg

Photo of forest area where the cache is hidden. Makes me want to bushwack here.

7e565b62-2379-4fb1-b9fd-42fd52c756ad.jpg

Edited by The Leprechauns

I have a cache that says you can do lots of bushwacking or just a little. If you make the hard left and follow the arrow you got lots of bushwacking. If you continue on while the needle starts to point behind you find a trail that take you almost to the cache ... just a hop skip and and jump off the trail. One finder did mention they were wandering around in the wilderness for a while, but took the easy way back. Some times the easiest way is not the most direct.

Jim

Personally I think each cache is going to give you exactly what you expect. If you expect a crappy view, a bug-ridden mosquito infested hike to a cache buried beneath a snake pit, you can pretty much expect to find something along that line. IMHO, I enjoy caching and seeing new sites. At every cache I look around to try to find what the cache owner found interesting about that spot. It might be a beautiful view, a cool nearby sculpture, a hike intended to build my leg muscles. I go to each cache with a positive attitude, and so I have enjoyed EVERY cache I have found. I refuse to allow those negative people to ruin MY enjoyment of the sport! I appreciate the effort cache owners have gone to for my enjoyment. Unfortunately, too many people seem to think they are entitled to more than they were offered. Keep enjoying that cache & don't let other's ruin it for you! :P

I must have a crappy attitude. I never expected to enjoy every cache. It just doesn't make sense. Too many people with too many ideas on what a cache should be. Fortunately I don't need to find them all.

Seriously, if someone doesn't like a cache, do you want them to lie in their log and say "great cache"?

Seriously? Everyone is entitled to their opinion? True. And most people expect a little tact. These guys forgot it somewhere. Rather than whining about a perfectly fine cache that they simply did not like, they should have just shut up and moved on. Log it found and SL. No need to run down the cache. What exactly was the point in doing that? And if they felt an overcoming urge to say something, they could have said it in a much more tactful way. Constructive criticism is much preferred over whiny criticism.

Seriously? Everyone is entitled to their opinion? True. And most people expect a little tact. These guys forgot it somewhere. Rather than whining about a perfectly fine cache that they simply did not like, they should have just shut up and moved on. Log it found and SL. No need to run down the cache. What exactly was the point in doing that? And if they felt an overcoming urge to say something, they could have said it in a much more tactful way. Constructive criticism is much preferred over whiny criticism.

I find few things more irritating in caching than an owner (or other) who doesn't think I can write a log that says I didn't really like the cache. I don't dispute the log in question could have been written in a way that conveyed the message without being whiney, but they have the right to say they didn't like the cache. As a cache owner I would much rather see an honest log about the experience than "found it, SL." I'm a big boy and can handle criticism. Constructive is better but you can decide how to respond to criticism. Learn from it or whine about it.

What I find more irritating is a cacher in such a hurry they don't bother to read anything but the coords for a cache. Then when they get to the cache they break the hide or container trying to get to the log book and don't mention anything about it in the logs. Then again it is all about the numbers.

It is not that they don't have a right to express their views on the cache but they could have don't it a lot better. Just think about all the time and energy that wounded Knee put into placing this cache to get a log like this. It was just shocking that someone would write this.

Leprechauns--Be sure to plan on the others on the ridge tops rimming Pike Lake. You'll also like those.

It is not that they don't have a right to express their views on the cache but they could have don't it a lot better. Just think about all the time and energy that wounded Knee put into placing this cache to get a log like this. It was just shocking that someone would write this.

Leprechauns--Be sure to plan on the others on the ridge tops rimming Pike Lake. You'll also like those.

Exactly... they have every right to express their views on any cache find, but the unfortunate fact is that the pitiful views which they have deigned to share with us in these log entries betrays a bizarre mindset of sense of entitlement and whininess, and simultaneously serve as yet one more sign that geocaching is going down the tubes.

I hate to sound like a repetitive doomsday fanatic, but, as with other recent cases cited on the forums, I see the two log entries in question as yet one more sign of the beginning of the End of Days for geocaching -- and likely for the entire world as well -- as our sport becomes more and more "dumbed down" due to the unceasing influx into this sport of vast hordes of the unwashed lumpen proletariat masses, who simply do not know any better, whose IQ falls in the single-digit range, who were raised on a cultural diet consisting solely of episodes of the Jerry Springer Show and the TV-mediated pseudo-sagacity of the ultimate buffoon, the unlicensed sensationalistic TV shrink Dr. Phil McGraw, and who believe that happiness comes from taking pills, from shopping compulsively, and/or from finding hundreds of lame urban micros in a week. I feel that this was a great sport when it was smaller and was largely the province of a rather elite and specialized group of aficionados, but now that the idiots have started to enter our ranks in droves due to the increasing popularity of geocaching, we are witnessing the inevitable regression toward the lowest common denominator -- much as we have already seen happen with evening-time network television shows -- in this sport, where lame urban lamppost micros are bizarrely held up as the ultimate standard by which all other caches are to be measured. I fear that the End is near and that at any moment now we shall start receiving reports of sightings across the world of the Six Horsemen of the Apocalypse, named War, Famine, Pestilence, Death, Lame Urban Micros and Numbers Caching.

I find few things more irritating in caching than an owner (or other) who doesn't think I can write a log that says I didn't really like the cache. I don't dispute the log in question could have been written in a way that conveyed the message without being whiney, but they have the right to say they didn't like the cache. As a cache owner I would much rather see an honest log about the experience than "found it, SL." I'm a big boy and can handle criticism. Constructive is better but you can decide how to respond to criticism. Learn from it or whine about it.

Tell them you don't like it. But don't do it in a way that makes you look like a whiny, entitled, jerk. The internet does this a lot. People are relatively anonymous, and you get people talking and acting as they never would in person. I highly doubt those two would talk like that to the cache owners face. So why do it on the internet? What ever happened to manners?

I love how some people's opinion is that other's shouldn't express their opinion. :P

I'm not saying that. I'm just saying use a little manners or tact when doing it. After the hard work someone puts into a cache, why run it down like that and make the owner feel bad just because you don't like it? That's stupid. Better to saying, something like , "Rough cache to find. We found it, but it's not our type of cache." You still voiced your opinion without all the negativity. It would be completely different if there was something legitimately wrong with the cache. But simply not liking it does not deserve a log like that.

Oh I know what you mean, but really... we can't tell people how to log their visits or they won't log at all, and personally I'd rather have logs that are how the person wanted to write them than some generic 'feel good' response that really means nothing.

To each their own.

It's the same thing as seeing a cacher post a needs maintenance because they could not find a cache.

Does that actually happen? Bejeezers!

Anyway, I guess these particular cachers just don't appreciate being in the woods. Maybe they couldn't actually see the woods...

Yep! Just happened to us. A couple people looked and couldn't find it in 20 minutes so they whipped the Needs Maintenance on it. Mentioned not liking the "long hike uphill", too. So I packed up the baby in his bjorn and walked all 100 yards up the hill and checked on it. Sitting right where I left it of course and about 10 inches away from the area they searched :P In all fairness, it's a slightly steep hill, but seriously, they should have left a note or email asking to check on it before whipping the NM report on it based on their not being able to find it. Then again, I've been sorely tempted after spending 3 hours searching for a 1/1 before! :P:P

Exactly... they have every right to express their views on any cache find, but the unfortunate fact is that the pitiful views which they have deigned to share with us in these log entries betrays a bizarre mindset of sense of entitlement and whininess, and simultaneously serve as yet one more sign that geocaching is going down the tubes.

I hate to sound like a repetitive doomsday fanatic, but, as with other recent cases cited on the forums, I see the two log entries in question as yet one more sign of the beginning of the End of Days for geocaching -- and likely for the entire world as well -- as our sport becomes more and more "dumbed down" due to the unceasing influx into this sport of vast hordes of the unwashed lumpen proletariat masses, who simply do not know any better, whose IQ falls in the single-digit range, who were raised on a cultural diet consisting solely of episodes of the Jerry Springer Show and the TV-mediated pseudo-sagacity of the ultimate buffoon, the unlicensed sensationalistic TV shrink Dr. Phil McGraw, and who believe that happiness comes from taking pills, from shopping compulsively, and/or from finding hundreds of lame urban micros in a week. I feel that this was a great sport when it was smaller and was largely the province of a rather elite and specialized group of aficionados, but now that the idiots have started to enter our ranks in droves due to the increasing popularity of geocaching, we are witnessing the inevitable regression toward the lowest common denominator -- much as we have already seen happen with evening-time network television shows -- in this sport, where lame urban lamppost micros are bizarrely held up as the ultimate standard by which all other caches are to be measured. I fear that the End is near and that at any moment now we shall start receiving reports of sightings across the world of the Six Horsemen of the Apocalypse, named War, Famine, Pestilence, Death, Lame Urban Micros and Numbers Caching.

Glad to see you are keeping a positve attitude! :P Caching is for everybody; just choose the caches you want to do. We all can have fun. :P

Edited by Colonial Cats

It's strange that your taking that position after you and Robespierre used notes on the same cache page as your whipping stick to express angst at the very poster you are complaining about. It's my understanding that the cache pages are not supposed to be used in that way.

I certainly agree that people should use tact in their logs, but that goes for those that rant about the PnG as well as those that rant about the non-scenic briared hill climb.

If only people could tell when you were kidding...
Tell them you don't like it. But don't do it in a way that makes you look like a whiny, entitled, jerk. The internet does this a lot. People are relatively anonymous, and you get people talking and acting as they never would in person. I highly doubt those two would talk like that to the cache owners face. So why do it on the internet? What ever happened to manners?
This thread is proof that your post is true. Edited by sbell111

Yeah, I hear you. I wouldn't post a log flaming someone's cache. Someone goes to the trouble of creating a cache, it's bad manners to bad-mouth it.

I have noted in a log if an approach is more difficult than the description suggests. As a hunter, I get frustrated if a cache is described as being an easy hike off the trail, with a 2.0 and what I end up with is a quarter-mile bushwhack through brambles and spider webs. In those cases, I will say something like "The approach was more difficult than I expected--some heavy bushwhacking required to get to it."

In the case of Gobbler's Knob, it sounds like the cache hunter didn't pay attention to the terrain rating on the cache. It's rated a 3.0, which I view as pretty fair notice that there is some bushwhacking involved. Just for fun, I ran the cache through Clayjar's rating system?, based on the description and logs. It generated a 2.0/4.0 rating for the cache. The actual cache is rated 2.0/3.0, so I don't see this one as being misleading at all.

But, as the previous poster said, you can't please everybody. Some people will ignore the terrain ratings, and they won't check out the cache site on Google Earth. And then they will kvetch that the hunt involved a bushwhack. Sometimes, you just gotta shrug it off.

Edited by imajeep

LMAO--thanks for adding some much needed perspective. I'm sure the sport will survive even this!

Some people feel entitled to have a great experience every time they go out. Problem is that all caches and all cachers are not created equal. Yesterday our Orienteering club ran on courses I designed. Two runners on the same course complained at the finish. The first said the course was too short and easy and the other said it was too steep and difficult. That was enough to tell me that it was a good course. It allowed the good runners to scamper at will through the woods and the less competent to blunder about in confusion. I have a hide very similar to yours that has been out for a long time. These logs show a wide variety of opinions regarding off trail hikes through thick woods.

Stately Tree

This thread is dripping with irony.

In threads where people are bashing LPCs one of the main complaints is "Why bring me here, what's so special about a view of a parking lot"? There's also a lot of complaints that if the LPC cache had been placed just a little further down the road there was a nice park, or a really good view of something, or anything other than lamp posts.

So this cacher wants to complain about the view on this cache. He asks what's so special about the view standing in the middle of trees. He's not allowed to complain about the lack of view either? It seemed to me he was trying to say that it would have been nice if the cache had been placed a little bit further up the hill with a nice view of the valley, or a rock formation, or a waterfall, or something other than the same view of trees he's had for the past hour of walking.

Why does a view of a parking lot condemn a cache to lameness (even if the view had nothing to do with the reason for placing the cache) and a view of trees, trees, and more trees makes a cache great and justifies calling the person complaining about it names in the forums?

I'll defend this cache right along with the LPCs to anyone complaining about it, and say that if you don't like it then it's probably because of your attitude and lack of appreciation, but I'm guessing most of the people reading this will say to themselves, "What would you expect from Mushtang, of course he's going to chime in and defend LPCs".

As I said, very ironic what's going on here.

I think the irony would only come into play if those who complain about LPCs don't want folks to complain about other caches, caches they themselves may enjoy.

Me, I was thinking throughout the thread that folks should be able to voice their opinions freely. If they didn't like that they had to drag a canoe out for one of our caches, they got dirty or otherwise exposed to nature then let them voice their opinion. I'd prefer that very much more than the canned responses most caches get.

I say let's move forward with encouraging honest, constructive opinions and feedback. I'm tired of reading glowing logs on caches with zero creativity because folks are so afraid to offend.

LOL, A little off topic here but I've seen that A LOT, plus someone put a 'needs archived' log on one of our caches because they couldn't find it, they said they looked everywhere and knew it wasn't there, it had only been published 2 days, the next day someone found it and the day after that the first person went back and found it...

Oh, and someone said a cache needed maintenance because it didn't load into their GPS correctly... hmmmm

I'm with CoyoteRed on this one. I don't care if it's a LPC or a ammo can in the woods, if you don't like it you should be able to say so in your log. The logs are your chance to tell about your experience at the cache site, good or bad.

I would rather have an honest opinion than have someone sugar coat their real feelings. It gives you a much better insight into that person's mindset.

Granted I'm not going to change they way I cache based on one complaint or one comment that is not in line with my philosophy, but at least I'll know what the other guy is thinking.

LOL, A little off topic here but I've seen that A LOT, plus someone put a 'needs archived' log on one of our caches because they couldn't find it, they said they looked everywhere and knew it wasn't there, it had only been published 2 days, the next day someone found it and the day after that the first person went back and found it...

Oh, and someone said a cache needed maintenance because it didn't load into their GPS correctly... hmmmm

This is highly indicative of the fact this site gives very little guidance to when, how, or why to use certain functions and features. We are left to our own devices and thusly everyone is not on the same page.

I think the irony would only come into play if those who complain about LPCs don't want folks to complain about other caches, caches they themselves may enjoy.

Isn't that exactly what's happening? People in this thread are pretty much saying, I can't believe someone would dare complain about a cache in the woods.

They're also calling him names like "whiner", "Looser" (which I suspect was meant to be "Loser" but if not I really don't understand that insult), "rude", "whiny entitled jerk", etc. They're suggesting that he must only like LPCs and the champaign in his limo has gone flat. They're saying that he shouldn't have complained like he did and needed to say it more tactfully (apparently these people don't remember the LPC threads and the lack of tact they showed).

If he'd complained about an LPC instead, none of these people would raise an eyebrow. Most would be complaining right along with him.

It's just ironic.

It wasn't that I didn't want them to write their opinion, it was just the rudeness that is so shocking.

What ever happened to our manors and being polite to one another? I guess that is lost when sitting behind a keyboard being an anonymous screen name.

Comments like those just help you figure who to seek out for interesting conversation at an event. And who not to.

These are the type of people I would like listening to at an event. :P

Bad cache, eh? Good enough for a find count tho huh. :P

"Why did you bring me here?" "To find a cache; why did you come here?"

It wasn't that I didn't want them to write their opinion, it was just the rudeness that is so shocking.

What ever happened to our manors and being polite to one another? I guess that is lost when sitting behind a keyboard being an anonymous screen name.

One of the things I like about geocaching is that people take you to interesting places that are off the beaten path (e.g., hidden waterfalls, terrific views, interesting trails).

That tells me what he likes. That's not rude

I'm still trying to figure out what's so interesting about bushwacking through briers a third of a mile uphill to a place with zero view.

That tells me what he doesn't like. Still not rude.

Only the company of my bride and Buckeye Bobcat made this cache anything near worthwhile. :-(
OK. Now maybe he could have reworded that so as not to bruise some delicate egos. :P [For those that missed it, that's sarcasm] This tells me that if I want to hide a cache that he like it better have a good view. (Not that I would ever want to hide a cache for him.)

If this was my cache I would file that log away for future reference and not worry about it. I find it just as 'rude' (your chose of words not mine) to complain about a log as I do to write a complaining log. Both are nothing more than a persons viewpoint. We could learn a lot by listening to the viewpoints of others. For example, I now know that you don't like straightforward complaints in cache logs. In fact most of the angst we see in these forums comes from folks not listening to or not caring about the other person's point of view.

If you place a cache where you have to bushwhack through briars 1/3 mile up a hill you'd better reward the finder with a spectacular view of a waterfall or something if you don't want to get logs complaining about it. Just because you heard a wild turkey gobbling there when you hid it doesn't mean every finder will enjoy that encounter with wildlife. I'm sorry but the logs describe the finders' experience doing this cache. Clearly if you don't want to get this sort of log you need to hide caches that reward the finders with something more than a non-existent turkey for their effort. :P

If he'd complained about an LPC instead, none of these people would raise an eyebrow. Most would be complaining right along with him.

It's just ironic.

I'm not keeping score on who complains about what so I don't see the irony. Folks complain about LPCs and other folks pooh-pooh the complaining. Is it swapping parties when the complaints are about caches in the woods? I don't know. Like I said, I'm not keeping score.