Caches in Uganda

Carbon Hunter

Hi there.

Just to let you know I placed 2 new Earthcaches in Uganda (one at Entebbe and one in Karuma).

But had to archive one at Jinja that had been muggled!!! Really sad about that.

Oh, that's too bad! I was looking forward to trying to find that one during my trip in August.

Aren't you the owner of the 100 Days of Madness Cache? I had a few questions about that cache if you're willing and able to answer them... Is the difficulty on the cache reflective of how hard it is to find or how difficult it is to be at the memorial? Also, do the people that work there know about the cache? How difficult was it to get permission to put a cache at this location (I'm just curious)?

[...]Aren't you the owner of the 100 Days of Madness Cache? I had a few questions about that cache if you're willing and able to answer them... Is the difficulty on the cache reflective of how hard it is to find or how difficult it is to be at the memorial? Also, do the people that work there know about the cache? How difficult was it to get permission to put a cache at this location (I'm just curious)?

Hi xaraphim,

Since you are obviously interested in rwandese caches, please allow me a just a little suggestion allowing

you to fetch two caches in more or less the same time: http://www.opencaching.de/viewcache.php?wp...amp;desclang=EN

greetings from vienna, austria

Wolfgang aka theplank

Too bad about the Jinja cache. My family and I will be in Jinja at the end of June for three weeks and I had been looking forward to that one. I will still do the others in the area as well as Kampala/Entebbe.

I had just come into this forum to post some questions about caching in East Africa. If its OK, maybe I can ask the questions here...

1) How long a drive will it be from Jinja down the the equator (where there is another cache) in Uganda?

2) How safe is caching in Jinja and East Africa as a whole? We are coming over with our two boys, ages 10 and 14, and its a concern of my wife's.

3) Interesting to see mention of the 100 days of madness cache. I am flying from Entebbe to Kigali alone on July 11 just for two days to see the genocide museum and other sites of interest in regards to the genocide (after reading Shake Hands With The Devil, I knew I would have to visit when we are in Uganda). I plan on doing the few caches that are there as well. What other points of interest would I want to see while there?

4) Are there many cachers in Uganda? I had thought it would be very cool to meet other cachers over in Jinja or Kampala while we are there.

Thanks for the replies.

Mike from Canada

Too bad about the Jinja cache. My family and I will be in Jinja at the end of June for three weeks and I had been looking forward to that one. I will still do the others in the area as well as Kampala/Entebbe.

I had just come into this forum to post some questions about caching in East Africa. If its OK, maybe I can ask the questions here...

1) How long a drive will it be from Jinja down the the equator (where there is another cache) in Uganda?

2) How safe is caching in Jinja and East Africa as a whole? We are coming over with our two boys, ages 10 and 14, and its a concern of my wife's.

3) Interesting to see mention of the 100 days of madness cache. I am flying from Entebbe to Kigali alone on July 11 just for two days to see the genocide museum and other sites of interest in regards to the genocide (after reading Shake Hands With The Devil, I knew I would have to visit when we are in Uganda). I plan on doing the few caches that are there as well. What other points of interest would I want to see while there?

4) Are there many cachers in Uganda? I had thought it would be very cool to meet other cachers over in Jinja or Kampala while we are there.

Thanks for the replies.

Mike from Canada

Mike

From Jinja - you need to go to Kampala 9about an hour) and then about another 90 odd minutes from there.

Caching is pretty safe - beware of normal opportunistic type pickpockets - but I have never felt unsafe from crime (now the driving is something else :):) )

As far as I know there are only 2 caches in Rwanda - the genocide museum (please take a replacement 35mm film canister - or similar) as the lid is missing on 100 days. There is another cache at the natural history museum - also very nice and worth a visit. The genocide museum is amazing - schedule a fair amount of time there -and some time for reflection afterwards. They also do screenings of "shooting Dogs" and "Sometime in April" on some evenings, and it is run by survivors - truly amazing.

I only came across one - the owner of EMI in Kampala (ugandaguy). Youy may be fortunate to bump into him, he is a US expat who travels quiet a bit.

5) Too bad about the Jinja cache. My family and I will be in Jinja at the end of June for three weeks and I had been looking forward to that one. I will still do the others in the area as well as Kampala/Entebbe.

The Jinja cache is still operational - insomuch that if ou are there and post a pic - I'll let you log it. If you find a better spot to drop a container - i can give you credit and ammend the clue. A good idea is to take a boat trip across the river to the Speke Monument on the western shore - where there is an Earthcache too.

Look out for the cache between Jinja and Kampala (Moses says - a nice little walk in the Mbira Forest in sight of the road - so should be safe). The Ready for CHOGM (i see its archived now)/ Buzz of the Boda Boda / EMI (a little difficult to find) / Angel cache on the equator is great - if for nothing else - but being on the equator! / and I have an earthcache near the airport (just as you leave the airport on the way to Kampala (Lake Victoria) - very easy to stop at - and the research is easy too - you can even log if you were there in the dark.

Enjoy Uganda!

Great - please drop me a line if you need any additional info. And again - please take a replacement cache container with you to Rwanda - i'd really appreciate that (even if you need to move the co-ordinates a bit (let me know and we can adjust).

No problem.