Need new sleeping bag

I'm in the market for a new bag and have a few picked out of each type. I have never slept in a mummy bag and need to before I buy but I was wondering what was more popular for backpacking/camping. So which do you prefer?

sorry but your title was not appropriate for this forum

Edited by Roadtorque
Sorry about the title, I had to...but anyway I have always had regular rectangle bags. I'm in the market for a new bag and have a few picked out of each type. I have never slept in a mummy bag and need to before I buy but I was wondering what was more popluar for backpacking/camping. So which do you prefer?
Either is fine for me. Some people feel too confined in a mummy bag.

You will find that most backpackers use mummy bags. That is because a mummy bag will have less bulk and will weigh considerably less than rectangular bag of the same temperature rating.

Most rectangular bags don't come with hoods or draft collars which are key factors in staying warm. Also, because of the size of the bag, you waste a lot of body heat heating a larger space.

Just make sure you get a mummy bag that is appropriate for your size and you won't have to worry about

being too confined. Measure your body width around your shoulders and get a bag with dimensions that can easily accommodate you.

It all depends on what you plan to do. Looks like you are based in Arizona -- as hot as it gets in the daytime, it can get awfully chilly at night. When, weight, bulk and/or keeping warm are the priority, the mummy style is the only way to go. They are cramped (I am a big guy, so mine fits like a sock!)

A light mummy bag with nylon shell and lining is perferred for backpacking since light and rolls up reqally small.

If you are looking at cold conditions (below freezing), then you need a four-season bag specifically for that purpose, and those are all the mummy or barrel style to conserve heat.

Car camping when overnight temps are above freezing and more often than not a little on the warm side? Then a light rectangular bag with a flannel lining is the ticket. Get a big old bag for comfort. In my neck of the woods (Wisconsin) summer nights can get warm and sticky, so being able to dump heat is a good thing. And it will keep you warm enough when things get frosty (I pop on a hoodie, sweat pants and woolie socks).

A mummy bag on those warm sticky nights can be enough to drive you clear you out of your tent, at least until the mosquitoes chase you back in.

Finally, go to a place that will let you try before you buy (I think REI is pretty good about that.) Especially important if you are on the big and tall side (>42R). The hood feature will do no good if your head is totally out of the bag.

Prices for decent quality bags have become VERY reasonable in the last few years (more accurately, the quality of inexpensive bags has improved quite a bit), so don't stress too much. Enjoy the search!

It all depends on what you plan to do. Looks like you are based in Arizona -- as hot as it gets in the daytime, it can get awfully chilly at night. When, weight, bulk and/or keeping warm are the priority, the mummy style is the only way to go. They are cramped (I am a big guy, so mine fits like a sock!)

A light mummy bag with nylon shell and lining is perferred for backpacking since light and rolls up reqally small.

If you are looking at cold conditions (below freezing), then you need a four-season bag specifically for that purpose, and those are all the mummy or barrel style to conserve heat.

Car camping when overnight temps are above freezing and more often than not a little on the warm side? Then a light rectangular bag with a flannel lining is the ticket. Get a big old bag for comfort. In my neck of the woods (Wisconsin) summer nights can get warm and sticky, so being able to dump heat is a good thing. And it will keep you warm enough when things get frosty (I pop on a hoodie, sweat pants and woolie socks).

A mummy bag on those warm sticky nights can be enough to drive you clear you out of your tent, at least until the mosquitoes chase you back in.

Finally, go to a place that will let you try before you buy (I think REI is pretty good about that.) Especially important if you are on the big and tall side (>42R). The hood feature will do no good if your head is totally out of the bag.

Prices for decent quality bags have become VERY reasonable in the last few years (more accurately, the quality of inexpensive bags has improved quite a bit), so don't stress too much. Enjoy the search!

Thanks for the thought. Yes, I am in Arizona... but I hope this is only a temporary thing and if all goes well I will be able to call either Utah or Alaska home in about a year from now. Yes I am a pretty big guy. 6'3'' 210lbs with about a 42'' chest, i think. Furthermore I have broad shoulders, I just got and REI sleeping pad thats 25'' wide and my shoulder hang over the edge, so finding a mummy bag to fit in might be a task in and of itself as you stated. Yes it can get cold in the winter here and even cooler in Utah or Alaska and very hot in the summer in AZ so I am starting to think I should get two bags. One for the summer probably a big rectangular type to stay cool in (any suggestions?). And one for winter only. I was thinking about the REI Kilo Expedition -20 mummy bag (if it fits me) or a slumberjack big timber -30 rectangular bag (lots of room and warm). Sure those winter bag might seem like over kill but I have done sub-zero winter campouts in my current 3 season bag rated for +30. By the way at the time of those campouts I had no sleeping pad so the only thing in between my bag and the snow was the tent floor. Was that cold, you bet and now you might understand why I want such a low rated bag. Overkill maybe, but no more cold winter campouts for me!

I know the slumberjack is heavy but I do mostly car camping in the winter so weight is not an issue.

Speaking of wool socks to sleep in I learned a good lesson on the last winter campouts I did. In each wool sock there were big holes in the heel and one on the top, while they initially seemed inconvenient, at night I was able to easily slip hand warmers on to the top and bottom of my feet and place them through the holes right were I needed them. Not taking off my socks in the middle of the night in the cold is good with me. Im tempted to tear holes in all my winter socks I will use when I sleep, really it was nice.

I think I need a warmer bag than usually if I go with my plan to switch to hammock vs tents. Always wanted to make the switch just never have (debating between and ENO double and Hennessy Hammock deluxe). Now in AZ I notice there are not so many trees,so I might have to wait to switch! But I hear in can be a bit cool in a hammock and although I have spent a few winter nights in one and stayed warm I think it would be a good idea to have a good bag/pad.

I will probably go to REI to rent/try out the mummy bags and hammocks prior to buying if possible to see what I like. Thanks for suggestions and I welcome more for bags or which hammock to get

REI is a great place to go.

I use mummy because:

my lower body stays warmer. Extra bag space takes extra energy to keep warm. I use a long bag as well and stuff my clothes down to the bottom in really cold weather.

space and weight in pack and tent. Two mummies in a tent are easier to manage, but then again how you want that to play out could well favor the rectangle :P Definite difference in pack volume, and that is important to me.

Mummies have cold features, like collars, hoods and drawstrings that really help in cold.

Rectangles just seem to be made more for car camping, but "mummies" come in all sorts of modifications these days, and so do the recs. Take a look at the Agnes (to echo above).

I have experimented with several bags trying to strike the right balance between weight and comfort. I am a big guy 6'3" about 325, 56" chest, so finding a bag that fits properly has been challenging. I find them that are big enough around, but I am too tall for them, or they are long enough but snug fitting around the body. I have bought several bags, that were close but I could not find one that fit all the way around, and were still light enough for backpacking. I recently tried out a friend's bag and it is just right for me, so I am going this weekend to buy one. The Big Agnes Encampment Long fits me nearly perfectly and REI has it on sale through the 11th of May for 109.99, regular price is 159.99. It is a 15 degree bag with Climashield fill. They have other models which offer down and other fills if you prefer something else. The thing I love about this is the size and construction, and all of their bags I have looked at have the same dimensions in Long, so if you prefer a down bag then step ut to one of those, but the fit should be the same. Big Agnes bags don't have fill on the back, instead they have a pocket for your sleeping pad, I was wary of this, but it turned out to be awesome. No more rolling off the pad. It is a modified mummy bag, basically a mummy style, with a larger footbox.

I also tried out the North Face Mammoth at REI, it is comparable in size and I liked it, but it does not have the sleeping pad pocket and it is not on sale this week.

On another note, I have a Mt. Nebo Grizzly 0 degree rectangular bag, with a mummy style hood, that is very warm and roomy, but it weighs more than my tent and does not compress well, so it is strictly for car camping. I have a feeling that the Big Agnes bag will mark the retirement of the Grizzly.

I am one of those that don't like to be confined but good luck finding a good quality non-mummy bag. One that's not for a kids sleepover.

I gave in and went with a mummy. They do save weight and I don't use it all that often anyway.

Big Agnes has some good barrels and rectangulars. We just got a couple for car-camping.

Well I might have found the perfect solution to the my problem and then I dont need 2 different bags. Thanks to all those who directed me to BA bags and the website. Looking around on the site I saw that you could get bags that fit in bags. I think this might be a great solution for a lite summer bag that can also be used in winter. It would work great with my idea to switch to hammocks as well. For those of you who dont know what I mean this is the jist. Great a mummy bag that is rated for the temp you want. I was thinking like a 30-40 degree bag for the summer. This slips inside of another larger bag for colder climates. Kind of the idea of layering cloths. This would take the summer bag and turn it into a sub 0 Fahrenheit winter bag. the other great thing about this idea is the inner bag can be down, something that insulates very well but only when dry. In the winter when things are maybe more prone to get wet you slip the down bag into an synthetic outer bag, something that insulates well even when wet. Anyone tried this and have feed back?

Well I might have found the perfect solution to the my problem and then I dont need 2 different bags. Thanks to all those who directed me to BA bags and the website. Looking around on the site I saw that you could get bags that fit in bags. I think this might be a great solution for a lite summer bag that can also be used in winter. It would work great with my idea to switch to hammocks as well. For those of you who dont know what I mean this is the jist. Great a mummy bag that is rated for the temp you want. I was thinking like a 30-40 degree bag for the summer. This slips inside of another larger bag for colder climates. Kind of the idea of layering cloths. This would take the summer bag and turn it into a sub 0 Fahrenheit winter bag. the other great thing about this idea is the inner bag can be down, something that insulates very well but only when dry. In the winter when things are maybe more prone to get wet you slip the down bag into an synthetic outer bag, something that insulates well even when wet. Anyone tried this and have feed back?

Then you are effectively carrying two bags in the winter. The combined fill between the two bags is probably no different in weight and packability than a warmer single bag, but you'll also have two nylon shells and two zippers which add to weight and bulk. I tried this with an "overbag" that was supposed to add (or should I say subtract?) 20 degrees to my 15 degree bag's rating, but in the end I decided just to get a single warmer bag because the two bags just took up too much room.

I think you're just better off with a summer weight and a winter bag. Slumberjack and LaFuma sell some inexpensive 40 and 50 degree summer bags. My wife has a 40 degree LaFuma mummy bag I purchased last year for $35 and there were 30, 40 and 50 degree Slumberjack bags in the same price range or slightly above.

Then you are effectively carrying two bags in the winter. The combined fill between the two bags is probably no different in weight and packability than a warmer single bag, but you'll also have two nylon shells and two zippers which add to weight and bulk. I tried this with an "overbag" that was supposed to add (or should I say subtract?) 20 degrees to my 15 degree bag's rating, but in the end I decided just to get a single warmer bag because the two bags just took up too much room.

I think you're just better off with a summer weight and a winter bag. Slumberjack and LaFuma sell some inexpensive 40 and 50 degree summer bags. My wife has a 40 degree LaFuma mummy bag I purchased last year for $35 and there were 30, 40 and 50 degree Slumberjack bags in the same price range or slightly above.

I had wondered about that. I just couldn't get the math to add up to a savings when both bags were put into consideration. Based on your experience, I'll be going after a single bag for winter camping.

My winter bag is a goose down North Face "North Col"

Something else to consider when sizing a winter mummy is where do you keep your boots?

We've been winter camping the White Mountains of New Hampshire when it was so cold we put our boots in a plastic bag and kept them inside the sleeping bag overnight. Else, they were frozen in the AM and difficult to put on.

We've also put boiling water in 1 qt naglene bottles and snuggled next to them overnight. Just don't mix it up with your pee bottle. :D

You might also consider a Vapor Barrier Liner for the inside of your bag. Some folks don't like them because the think there is too much humidity. But my experience has been that you reach an equilibrium inside the VBL at some point - and your bag stays dry. The VBL, mummy bag, closed cell pad and an overshell make a great winter bivvy option.

I bought a Mountain Hardware Specter +20 goose down mummy bag for my upcoming hiking trips. Will post a review when I return from the Bruce May 22.

That should be an interesting review.

Post your specs too when you review it, please - temps outside... maybe the size of your bag... and your sleeping pad?

I have a MH Phantom, a 32 degree bag, and I'm hoping to replace it this year. (Will. Sell. Cheap!)

well I might get 3 bags after all depending on how much it adds up to be. Me and the wife need 2 new bags to use while car camping. We were thinking of two of these. They are very big (even when not ziped together) but at 14lbs each it is way to heavy for backpacking. So I need to look into a good summer bag for backpacking in hot AZ. I saw This one and was wondering if anyone had something better. Then, I have all but decided on this bag for winter backpacking. As I said earlier in this post I do more car camping in the winter than backpacking, and also mentioned I want to switch to hammock. So my idea would be in the winter when car camping (weight not an issue) with a hammock use my -20 REI bag and sleeping pad inside of one of the sumberjacks to stay warm and keep from rolling off the pad. Also extra room to keep boots and gear inside the outer bag. I thought this might prevent some of the down falls I read about hammocks. Namely that they are cold to sleep in and your pad shifts around. Then while winter backpacking use the -20 REI bag on its own with the sleeping pad. I think it might all work. Any one see how this might be a bad idea or have a better set up or bad reviews of any of these bags?