high fuel prices

fuel prices are getting way out of hand, and i don't know my way around very well. does any one know how to make a bicycle handlebar mount for my streetpilot c330? Or does anyone know where to buy one? I am not sure if anything like this is even around, I couldn't find anything. I have a etrex H so i don't have the option to put city navigator on my gps.

I'm sorry, but fuel prices should not present that much of a problem to caching. My brother did the following math: Assume I drive 300 miles a month just caching. I average around 15 mpg while caching. That means I use about 20 gallons of gas a month on caching. At $4 per gallon as compared with $2 (like it was several years ago), that is only about $40 per month additional for caching. Given that I could be at work earning money at "X" dollars an hour, rather than out caching, the $40 is not a real problem. Even if I compare the cost of the gas to walking or riding a bike, that is only $80 per month. I can live with that.

Assume I drive 300 miles a month just caching.

That's just two days of caching for me :D

Last Friday morning I drove 30 miles to drop my wife off with a friend so they can go away for the weekend to Yosemite. I then spent the next 8 hours driving almost 150 miles "taking the long way home" and finding a few dozen caches.

Saturday I got up and drove 50 miles to meet up with friends, then we all drove another 50 miles to get to the trailhead of a planned 4x4 run we're organizing for GeoWoodstock weekend. By the time I got home we found 16 caches, hid 20 caches, and I put 240 miles on the truck.

Today I drove 60 miles and found a few caches, then I picked up my wife, and we drove home in just 30 miles with no caching.

Hrmph. 300 miles a month. Wuss. :D:D

I dispute your calculations. We went camping this past week at two locations. The round trip was less than 360 miles. The only driving we did besides getting from campground to campground was for geocaching. We filled up 4 times at between $71 and $75 each time. Being that a tank full of gas gives us close to 300 miles (our Expedition has a thing that calculates it for you to see), I'd have to say that we spent over $150 in gas just for geocaching in one week with only 18 finds because we were in the mountains where they were really spread out.

Edited because its late and MY math was wrong (and I'm the accountant)

Edited by BarbVA

fuel prices are getting way out of hand, and i don't know my way around very well. does any one know how to make a bicycle handlebar mount for my streetpilot c330? Or does anyone know where to buy one? I am not sure if anything like this is even around, I couldn't find anything. I have a etrex H so i don't have the option to put city navigator on my gps.

Sorry I responded to the next poster, but hey isn't that a job for duct tape? :D :D

I love it when someone comes in and tells others that the gas price doesn't hurt them. MY situation is completely different from yours, so my experience will differ. When the only gas money you have is going straight to getting you back and forth to work (and you're on a MOTORCYCLE), do you suppose your caching will be affected??

Careful with the units you would put on a bike handlebar. Some of the units designed for vehicle use probably can't take the shock it might receive on a bike (or motorcycle). I know the Garmin website says specifically not to mount certain units on a motorcycle and I would think those same units probably shouldn't go on a bicycle either.

You are probably better off getting a 60CSX or one of the new eTrex CSX units with City Navigator for your bike. They are rugged enough to take the shock. Then you can sell your eTrex and Streetpilot to pay for it.

Bike specific GPS and Training Unit

Yesterday, I rode In the 42 Mile Bike Tour of NY, with fellow Geocacher and all around good guy, Ramapo, and he had his GPS handlebar mounted. It worked but was spotty in the canyons of NY. Garmin has built a bike specific series called Edge , per link above. In addition to navigation they include training enhancements. I saw several of these compact units in use on the ride. I hear they are well worth drooling over.

Well, not really caching related but it does relate to the gas prices. Last year I got a credit card that I use "JUST" for gas , not even a pack of gum goes on it. That way I can tell how much I am spending on gas. Well, Last year I was using $350 a month in gas. And that was just driving 50 miles a day to work and nothing else. This spring I decided to get my Motorcycle permit and soon my endorsement. I bought a 2008 Honda Rebel and so far it gets 50-60 MPG. So to drive 150 miles I should be paying around $15 give or take a couple of dollars. So, I should only be spending around $75 a month for gas instead of $350. Which to me justifies buying a motorcycle, the license, and the insurance. After all is said and done it will cost around $150-$175 a month which is $125 or so less than last year. And once the bike is paid for, let the savings really begin. Anyway, that is my two cents!! :lol:

The cost of those smileys sure add up--especially if you add the purchase of swag (and containers for those of us who hide) to the fuel expenditure!

But boy, isn't it worth the time and expense!!

Why not forego the swag and use that money for gas instead? If you come across something in a cache that you just gotta have, simply trade a TB for it or nothing at all? :lol:

No wonder I'm looking at restocking most of my caches this year....

$40 - $45 is what it takes to fill my EMPTY gas tank. Learned that upon spending the entire day and tank of gas caching a few weeks ago. Shocked I looked back at the day with a friend exploring a part of my adopted state I had never visited. Saw some historical sites, played around in a mountain stream, had a picnic from the packed lunch, took some pictures, and had a great time. I stopped to think what other entertainment that $45 could buy and I think it was a good bargin.

I thought you were wanting an alternative to high gas prices. I was going to offer this.

Actually, I had something a little cheaper in mind. :lol:

I like that one, I am waiting fo the idiots to start the whole siphoning thing again like they did back in the 1970's. If and when it happens I hope the fools siphon off the diesel in my pickup to fuel their lowered honda accords.

OT but how many people are considering locking gas caps again?

Assume I drive 300 miles a month just caching.

That's just two days of caching for me :lol:

Last Friday morning I drove 30 miles to drop my wife off with a friend so they can go away for the weekend to Yosemite. I then spent the next 8 hours driving almost 150 miles "taking the long way home" and finding a few dozen caches.

Saturday I got up and drove 50 miles to meet up with friends, then we all drove another 50 miles to get to the trailhead of a planned 4x4 run we're organizing for GeoWoodstock weekend. By the time I got home we found 16 caches, hid 20 caches, and I put 240 miles on the truck.

Today I drove 60 miles and found a few caches, then I picked up my wife, and we drove home in just 30 miles with no caching.

Hrmph. 300 miles a month. Wuss. :):D

LOL, yeah.. In the last year I've taken my Jeep about 5,000 miles a month caching, and that doesn't include when I drive one of the other cars...

OT but how many people are considering locking gas caps again?

Maybe it's just the media trying to scare people, but I've heard locking gas caps are a bad idea. I guess the folks stealing gasoline will just drill a hole in the gas tank to get what they want.

To the OP. I just looked to see and Ram Mounts has one specific to the C330. It looks like they have several mounting options for the C330. They can be a little expensive, but they're good mounts. I had a bicycle mount for my old Magellan Meridian and really liked it.

I think this forum is getting off subject. I guess i was misleading when i said gas prices are getting out of hand. All I was trying to say is it is high and I love mountain biking and geocaching so why not do both at the same time. And to all the people talking about how cheap it is and how much they drive to go caching, believe me I know how much a person can drive. I drive a minimum of 120mi. per day for work. So yes gas is expensive, but i guess all i meant was why not kill 2 birds with one stone!!!

Edited by The Auclair Family

Auclairs:

Why, on earth, are you so upset? Personally, I'd rather see multiple, slightly off-topic comments than three people who say, "yeah--I think so too" and watch as the topic slips slowly down the list.

Apparently no one knows how to make a bicycle handlebar mount for your streetpilot c330. Sorry.

Edited by meralgia
Auclairs:

Why, on earth, are you so upset? Personally, I'd rather see multiple, slightly off-topic comments than three people who say, "yeah--I think so too" and watch as the topic slips slowly down the list. ...

yeah--I think so too Edited by sbell111