Legend USB cable

Hey everyone. I am still using the old school Garmin Etrex Legend.....the problem is the new computer that we got doesnt have a serial port. I have searched the website and have tried several things that were suggested.....I have tried a different USB port, downloading the Garmin plug in, looking in the device manager for anything odd, downloading EasyGPS and indicating a serial port and again with the virtual port (I dont know what a virtual port is, but I tried). I also tried restarting several times in between most of these. To be honest, the last 45 minutes of trying this stuff has tried my patience. So, with that being said, who out there has that perfect answer I need? Oh yeah, and we installed the dinky little CD that came with the cord from some foreign company....at any rate...I need to go cool off. Can anyone help out, please? Thanks. I really dont want to buy anything else as far as GPSrs or another cord either. Ok, Im going to cool off. THanks in advance for everyones help.

Make sure the Legend is set for the Garmin interface (main menu / setup / interface).

Another way you could test the port is to set the interface to NMEA out, start HyperTerminal and set it to that com port using 4800,8,None,1,None, and see if any text is coming out. The Legend may need to be actually positioning for anything to come out.

Hey everyone. I am still using the old school Garmin Etrex Legend.....the problem is the new computer that we got doesnt have a serial port. I have searched the website and have tried several things that were suggested.....I have tried a different USB port, downloading the Garmin plug in, looking in the device manager for anything odd, downloading EasyGPS and indicating a serial port and again with the virtual port (I dont know what a virtual port is, but I tried). I also tried restarting several times in between most of these. To be honest, the last 45 minutes of trying this stuff has tried my patience. So, with that being said, who out there has that perfect answer I need? Oh yeah, and we installed the dinky little CD that came with the cord from some foreign company....at any rate...I need to go cool off. Can anyone help out, please? Thanks. I really dont want to buy anything else as far as GPSrs or another cord either. Ok, Im going to cool off. THanks in advance for everyones help.

Hi Slim! Yeah, cool off before trying again. I have a Legend but luckily my computer has a serial port. Try searching the forum for 'serial cable' or some variations - I think there are some brands that work better than others that have been mentioned here.

Is your new computer a desktop or laptop? If it's a desktop, you might be able to add a serial port. But I bet someone here can get you on your way without resorting to adding hardware.

Hey yall, I havent had a chance to play with this, but got to this morning. GPSlug, that was a good suggestion.

I went through all the interface "serial data format" modes. After going trhough everyone, I went back and did the Garmin setting (the default and the one I had been trying) and oddly enough there was some interface. I was using EasyGPS and it sent information, but it was the ID (GC12345 or whatever), that type of information, not the name of the cache. So now I know they can at least communicate between each other, I just need to get the name in there. The same thing happened with the Garmin plug in from geocaching.com. So now Im all excited because I know it can be done, but Im that close. Can anyone help me with this issue?