GPS restricted environments

5/4/2008

Hi everyone. In the past, I used my Garmin 60CSx on long flights until a United Airlines flight attendant told me that they were not allowed. I just intercepted a posting that restricted GPSr units from cruise ships (see attached).

Log Date: 5/2/2008

We came in on the Sovereign of the Seas a few weeks back and thought it was cool that the security guard asked curiously about my GPSR. Well silly me, I didn’t know that GPSRs are verboten on a cruise ship. It was a trap!Be careful with your gear lest ye have it confiscated until the end of the cruise. The dozen or so geocaches we planned on doing here and Coco Cay were kind of spoiled. [:D!]

I just used mine on a cruise ship a few months ago and had no problems. Does anyone know what the current restrictions are regarding GPSr units? What have been your experiences regarding allowed usage. From experience .... Don't argue with a flight attendant - you can't win!

:D Aardvark56 (Littleton, CO)

I've never heard of any restrictions on a cruise ship, but I have heard about people on airplanes having trouble. Usually if you explain to the flight attendant that your GPSr only recives a signal, and does not send one, you shhould be fine, as it is not on the restricted items list that is in the seat-back pocket on most planes. When I use my GPS on a plane, I use it until I am told to put it away by a flight attendant, and then I politley tell her that it does not mess with any of the flight intstruments on the plane. Like I said before, it's a reciver, not a transmitter.

Using a GPS on a plane is just fine ---- so long as the crew doesn't tell you to put it away. We all know they are receivers only but all electronics produce a bit of radio energy. No sense in causing an argument or problem. Just turn it off and tuck it in a bag until the plane lands.

Gpsr's do not interfere with avionics. Any airline that bans their use using that excuse is just plain ignorant.

I ran into this same garbage when cellphones became prevalent. Hospitals around the country banned their use for fear that they'd interfere with medical equipment. Some even went so far as to ban "tickle me Elmo" dolls for the same reason. Since then, numerous studies have shown this fear to be completely without merit...but many hospitals still ban cell phones.

Bottom line for me is....

If an airline has any system thats so flaky that a gps receiver can cause any effect at all, they are way to flaky to board in the first place.

I've never heard of any restrictions on a cruise ship, but I have heard about people on airplanes having trouble. Usually if you explain to the flight attendant that your GPSr only recives a signal, and does not send one, you shhould be fine, as it is not on the restricted items list that is in the seat-back pocket on most planes. When I use my GPS on a plane, I use it until I am told to put it away by a flight attendant, and then I politley tell her that it does not mess with any of the flight intstruments on the plane. Like I said before, it's a reciver, not a transmitter.

Thats not entirely true. Your GPSr does generate a signal in the local oscillator which is mixed with the received signals to create a third signal. If any of those signals are the same frequency or a harmonic of the frequency and you are close enough to the airplane or ships equipment then your GPSr can cause interference. Even tho consumer electronics is poorly shielded you still would have to be within' feet of the equipment to cause any interference. Although when you are taking the potential of the safety of life I would ratter be on the safe side.

i just travelled on american airlines to costa rica.... the flight magazine listed gps as being forbidden to be used on board. later in my trip i met an american airlines pilot at apopular beach and after chatting for awhile i asked him about this.....he told me that since some gps have a FM transmitter that rather than spending valuable time sorting this out in flight that coorporate just bans all of them.... i told him i had never heard of this type of GPS......when i came home i had a WEST MARINE catalog waiting for me and sure enuf the Garmin NUVI 760 has this feature as well as bluetooth.

it seems that the racing advance of technology has had the effect of self limiting in this instance.

I used my GPSr along with the laptop the last time we flew into Vegas. It was neat to see the speed at which we were flying in addition to our displayed position in the Delorme map program on my laptop. It made it easy to pick out cities that we saw below. I asked the stewardess about using them and she told me they should be fine to use during flight,,,except during take off and landing.

As far as curise ship usage, it would never occur to me to ask about using it while aboard.

I agree with the poster above who said that, "If an airline has any system thats so flaky that a gps receiver can cause any effect at all, they are way to flaky to board in the first place." A cellphone, GPSr, gameboy, etc,, simply would not radiate enough interference to be of any concern.

I have been in the United States Coast Guard for 10 years+ and was a Boarding Officer (responsible for boarding vessels to make sure they are in compliance with local, state and federal laws. I know of no such ban on ships concerning GPSr's. So unless it is a company rule/ban I say keep on Cachen'.

and if im not mistaken GPSr's only recieve, they do not transmit. Transmissions is what effects Radars, Radios and other Communication equpiment on board the Vessel or aircraft.

Edited by AKelvis

I've used mine on a cruise ship, and was never challenged about it, but then again I don't think anyone else saw it. I don't think that cruise ships are worried about interference, I think thier fear might have more to do with piracy. I know it's not much concern in the Caribbean, but other parts of the world it's a real threat. Most (if not all) ships are outfitted with secret anti-piracy equipment that goes completely un-noticed by the passengers.

We had no GPSr-related problems on our Disney Mediterranean cruise last summer.

In December, I was on a cruise aboard a Carnival ship. I normally carry both a GPS and a VHF (Marine) radio. The radio is 1 watt / 5 watts. I had no issues with the GPS, but I was relieved of the radio until we returned home. That is a first. They said something about my radio being on the same frequency as the handy-talkies the crew used. As a result, I used my cell phone before we left port to complain to the FCC that the ship was violating regulations by using VHF for person-to-person communications aboard the same ship. The ship quickly changed its excuse and said the problem was that I could communicate with the outside world. I pointed out that I also had a cell phone and that the ship provided internet access. Then they said that if I transmitted while aboard, it could interfere with the ship's use of its VHF radio. I pointed out that so could every other ship in the area and that military ships use a whole lot more power than my radio or even the ship's radio.

The long and short of it is that they took my radio and with that kind of mind-set, they could well take a GPS. In the future, I'll simply pack it in luggage, which is delivered to the cabin anyway.

(Incidentally, when boarding the ship they took my dad's pocket knife. My knife, which was in my luggage, came aboard just fine.)

I just chalk the whole thing up to bureaucratic stupidity and paranoia.

Bingo! Give that man a gold star.

Realistically though, there chance for interference is very low. Some airlines restrict it and others do not (during cruise... I believe all restrict it during takeoff and landing) but all use the same avionics and navigation systems so that should tell you something.

I use mine all the time if I can get a signal.

I've only been on one cruise but they had no interest in my GPS.

Thats not entirely true. Your GPSr does generate a signal in the local oscillator which is mixed with the received signals to create a third signal. If any of those signals are the same frequency or a harmonic of the frequency and you are close enough to the airplane or ships equipment then your GPSr can cause interference. Even tho consumer electronics is poorly shielded you still would have to be within' feet of the equipment to cause any interference. Although when you are taking the potential of the safety of life I would ratter be on the safe side.

5/4/2008

Hi everyone. In the past, I used my Garmin 60CSx on long flights until a United Airlines flight attendant told me that they were not allowed. I just intercepted a posting that restricted GPSr units from cruise ships (see attached).

Actually, UAL permits the use of handheld GPS units... however, generally the cabin crew doesn't have much knowledge of many of the electronics that the average business traveler may even possess and may tell you that you can't use them (look at how long it took them to start "worrying" about pagers, blackberry devices, etc).

Strangely however, I've taken a few UAL flights (possibly operated by another one of their sister carriers, like Mesa) where they've enumerated GPS receivers as "forbidden." In any case, you can politely ask that the cabin crew ask the pilot for permission.

One page that may also be useful: Airlines which approve/disapprove of GPS use in-flight

I agree with the poster above who said that, "If an airline has any system thats so flaky that a gps receiver can cause any effect at all, they are way to flaky to board in the first place." A properly functioning cellphone, GPSr, gameboy, etc,, simply would not radiate enough interference to be of any concern.

Fixed it for you.

And that's the basis of it all. a properly functioning GPSr, fm radio, gameboy, PDA, laptop or whatever won't interfere. However, there are plenty of documented cases in the FCC's files where a receiver was defective or malfunctioning and caused interference with other radio services. The FAA has documented cases of malfunctioning/defective electronics interfering with flight gear. That's why ALL electronics have to be turned off during takeoff and landing, and many airlines dont allow any type of receiver in flight at all.

Though it's rare for electronics to malfunction in that way, the potential cost is great. Imagine a bad ground on the shielding of the oscillator. The GPS will still work as it should so you have no idea, but now it's also emmiting a signal it shouldnt. Imagine that signal interfering with the radio signals used to guide your plane in to landing in bad weather. You want to take that chance?

... Strangely however, I've taken a few UAL flights (possibly operated by another one of their sister carriers, like Mesa) where they've enumerated GPS receivers as "forbidden." In any case, you can politely ask that the cabin crew ask the pilot for permission. ...
It should be remembered that these regional 'partners' are completely separate airlines. As such, they do not necessarily have the same rules regarding passenger usage of GPSr units. Edited by sbell111

If your on an airplane check the inflight magazine for a list of electronics you can and can not use while in flight. Some airlines allow GPSes others do not.

As for cruise lines check the website form similar information and bring a copy with you. Talking to customer serivce is no help when dealing with a shipboard employee. Remember it only counts if it is in writing.

GPS restricted environments, Which environments are restricted from GPSr Usage?

Kennedy Space Center Visitor's Center does not allow GPS on the premises. I asked them about it and the rent-a-cop there said that would allow somebody to pinpoint targets. :lol:

Edited by CacheMonkeez

Kennedy Space Center Visitor's Center does not allow GPS on the premises. I asked them about it and the rent-a-cop there said that would allow somebody to pinpoint targets. :lol:

Yeah, the bad guys have been trying to get the coordinates of the visitor center for a long time!

I'm sure glad that NASA has Barney Fife protecting that place. LOL

Yeah, the terrorist is going to get a passport and pay for a plane ticket and secretly record coords while on a sightseeing bus when all they really need to do is go into thier local internet cafe and bring up google maps.

I also think the cruise ships are concerned about piracy but conficating GPSr and radios don't really help when they provide cell towers and internet access (as noted above).

I agree with the poster above who said that, "If an airline has any system thats so flaky that a gps receiver can cause any effect at all, they are way to flaky to board in the first place." A properly functioning cellphone, GPSr, gameboy, etc,, simply would not radiate enough interference to be of any concern.

Fixed it for you.

And that's the basis of it all. a properly functioning GPSr, fm radio, gameboy, PDA, laptop or whatever won't interfere. However, there are plenty of documented cases in the FCC's files where a receiver was defective or malfunctioning and caused interference with other radio services. The FAA has documented cases of malfunctioning/defective electronics interfering with flight gear. That's why ALL electronics have to be turned off during takeoff and landing, and many airlines dont allow any type of receiver in flight at all.

Though it's rare for electronics to malfunction in that way, the potential cost is great. Imagine a bad ground on the shielding of the oscillator. The GPS will still work as it should so you have no idea, but now it's also emmiting a signal it shouldnt. Imagine that signal interfering with the radio signals used to guide your plane in to landing in bad weather. You want to take that chance?

Let's put it this way, wouldn't we all be pretty foolish to fly if airplane electronics were that susceptible to stray interference? :lol:

Edited by Mudfrog

This is not Photoshopped, but it looks like they added "GPS" to the top of the list later. This sign is at the entrance of KSC.

nogpsmi5.jpg

I don't know how accurate this is, but I found a post on another web site that gave what could be a legitimate reason to ban GPSr at KSC:

"Over here the maps over military facilities were modified to ensure that they were inaccurate enough to prevent them being used for targeting. It was a small step in making it harder for the enemy. As GPS devices could easily be used to correct the maps they were not allowed on military bases."

It kind of makes sense, but only if all public source maps of KSC were altered to show inaccurate lat/long coordinates. The poster was saying that if maps and imaging have altered coordinates for locations within KSC then if someone brought a GPSr there they could later correct the inaccuracies.

I don't know how accurate this is, but I found a post on another web site that gave what could be a legitimate reason to ban GPSr at KSC:

"Over here the maps over military facilities were modified to ensure that they were inaccurate enough to prevent them being used for targeting. It was a small step in making it harder for the enemy. As GPS devices could easily be used to correct the maps they were not allowed on military bases."

It kind of makes sense, but only if all public source maps of KSC were altered to show inaccurate lat/long coordinates. The poster was saying that if maps and imaging have altered coordinates for locations within KSC then if someone brought a GPSr there they could later correct the inaccuracies.

:lol:

First of all GPS are allowed on military bases. Second of all you can get the exact same maps used on those base by base personal for all the military bases almost anywhere. Thirdly all you need is Google Earth and you have an exact map of the bases. In fact you can see my grill setting on my back patio in base housing on Google Earth.

Now maybe KSC does it differently but I doubt it.

:lol:

First of all GPS are allowed on military bases. Second of all you can get the exact same maps used on those base by base personal for all the military bases almost anywhere. Thirdly all you need is Google Earth and you have an exact map of the bases. In fact you can see my grill setting on my back patio in base housing on Google Earth.

The Google maps of KSC doesn't allow you to zoom in very far. You are lucky to make out the general location of the launch pads, for instance. You can't actually see all but the largest structures. Still...

:D

The Google maps of KSC doesn't allow you to zoom in very far. You are lucky to make out the general location of the launch pads, for instance. You can't actually see all but the largest structures. Still...

:):lol:

I just zoomed in close enough to not only cleary see the building, roads and the launch pads, but close enough to see the folks on the pads. I could even see what color shirts they were wearing. In fact it's one the clearest views I've seen on Google Earth.

I understand taking a GPSr with you on vacation on a cruise or airline, but can someone tell my why you would need to use it during a flight? Other than to look at it for fun?

To look at it for fun.

It's cool to see how fast the plane is going, what cities, lakes, rivers you're going over, distance to the airport, etc.

And if there's a cache along the route that you've been meaning to find, just jump out when you fly over it!

I understand taking a GPSr with you on vacation on a cruise or airline, but can someone tell my why you would need to use it during a flight? Other than to look at it for fun?

To look at it for fun.

It's cool to see how fast the plane is going, what cities, lakes, rivers you're going over, distance to the airport, etc.

And if there's a cache along the route that you've been meaning to find, just jump out when you fly over it!

I used to skydive. That I think cache diving would be barrels of fun. Maybe someday when my kids are grown I'll do that.

Sorry this is a bit off topic here but......

Is that big white building to the west of the launch pads where they prepare the shuttle for the launch? I always thought it was out away from everything else. There's all kinds of other buildings around there.

Yes, that's the Vehicle Assembly Building (VAB) where they stack (assemble) the SRBs, external fuel tank, and orbiter.

Kennedy Space Center Visitor's Center does not allow GPS on the premises. I asked them about it and the rent-a-cop there said that would allow somebody to pinpoint targets. :P

Obviously they are not familiar with FlashEarth.com or anything like it!!!

Cuba doesn't allow them at all (or didn't allow them), not that I've been there. People do take chances and simply not declare them. Others declare them, whereby they are confiscated, and by what I've read here they, are returned when they leave the country. Still, one way you are risking your (expensive) toys, and the other you are taking chances with your freedom in a country ruled by dictatorship.

Skisidedown

To look at it for fun.

ong the route that you've been meaning to find, just jump out when you fly over it!

Absolutely.

I hate looking out the window and wondering "what the HECK is THAT?". With the GPSr on hand, I have a chance to figure it out.

I just stick it between the armrest and the outside wall of the plane and keep it discreet.

What should really be banned is Palm Pilots because with the right add-on you can take over the flight controls and fly the thing. Wheeee!

To look at it for fun.

ong the route that you've been meaning to find, just jump out when you fly over it!

Absolutely.

I hate looking out the window and wondering "what the HECK is THAT?". With the GPSr on hand, I have a chance to figure it out.

I just stick it between the armrest and the outside wall of the plane and keep it discreet.

What should really be banned is Palm Pilots because with the right add-on you can take over the flight controls and fly the thing. Wheeee!

:P

:P:P

I just zoomed in close enough to not only cleary see the building, roads and the launch pads, but close enough to see the folks on the pads. I could even see what color shirts they were wearing. In fact it's one the clearest views I've seen on Google Earth.

Huh.

I was looking in Google Maps. I assumed that since they didn't zoom in nearly as much as normal that GE wouldn't either.

My mistake.

How else are you going to know were you are after the crash? :P

Hey--maybe there's a TV series in that! We could call it "Not Lost"

The real reason that some electronic devices are not allowed on airplanes has nothing to do with EM interference. I refer you to this article written by an actual airline pilot: http://www.salon.com/tech/col/smith/2008/0...askthepilot259/

But really, if the airline staff asks you to turn it off and put it away, just put it away. They have enough on their plate. Let them concentrate on the whole "not crashing" portion of their job.

The bottom line is that the Captain has complete control and authority ove the ship or aircraft, and the staff has authority under his delegation.

That means they don't have to be right, reasonable, logical or even legally correct... comply and make a complaint afterward if you feel the need.

If a staff member (flight attendant, ship's steward, etc.) asks you to turn something off, it won't hurt to turn it off and ask her/him to verify with the Captain that those are his wishes. I suspect that most times the Captain will tell the staff member "Don't sweat it, let them use it."

How else are you going to know were you are after the crash? :o

Hey--maybe there's a TV series in that! We could call it "Not Lost"

Have you been watching Lost. I doubt that a GPS would work correctly on the island. There is some kind of weird time delay. Remember when the "package" was shot from the "rescue" ship and it took hours to get to island instead of the minutes it should have. A GPSr works by determining the time takes a signal to get to the GPS from a satellite. If there is a time delay then that will mess up where the GPSr thinks it is, unless the delay is 6 or is it 12 hours (however long it takes the satellite constellation to cycle and return their previous positions) then the accuracy would just be a couple feet off. But then again they were able to use the satellite phone and there was no delay in the conversation. Hmmmmmmm.

Gpsr's do not interfere with avionics. Any airline that bans their use using that excuse is just plain ignorant.

I ran into this same garbage when cellphones became prevalent. Hospitals around the country banned their use for fear that they'd interfere with medical equipment. Some even went so far as to ban "tickle me Elmo" dolls for the same reason. Since then, numerous studies have shown this fear to be completely without merit...but many hospitals still ban cell phones.

Bottom line for me is....

If an airline has any system thats so flaky that a gps receiver can cause any effect at all, they are way to flaky to board in the first place.

this is just proof of concept so probably would not happed but if you look at the other vids you will notice that various cars catch alight randomly. Hospitals also have flamable liquid.

People generally talk louder than normal when on cell phones which is extremely annoying inside buildings.

But it IS fun. I love sitting in the window seat on a long flight, following my progress on the GPS, and being able to identify the landmarks down below. I still have 680 mph saved on the trip computer page of my 60c from a trip to Italy 3 years ago when we caught a nice tail wind. The flight crew even mentioned that we were making good time. ;)