cache guard

. . . for today I guess.

IMG_0238.jpg

I have another pic of it by the cache. Would it be bad to post it on the gallery part of that cache? We decided not to fetch the cache as it was in an area of heavy snake cover. I snapped a pic of him and the cord that leads to the cache as evidence it was really a "find".

IMG_0241.jpg

But I did "find" it, I have a pic of a cord tied around a tree attached to the ammo can, right above the snake. I just didn't open it.

Oh well, I guess I can go back later, like in the fall. I'm not really squeemish about snakes but the area had lots of stumps bark and undergrowth making it unwise to go proding around for hidden treasure. The ones we saw today were a little sluggish, they will move faster when the temps get higher.

I guess since nobody knows what cache it is it will be ok to post the pic here.

snake.jpg

You sure thats not a rubber snake? He looks kinda fake to me.

It wiggled, I have a video as well. Here a different views. I took the pics on my canon sx100. It was able to zoom in pretty close, plus the snake was kinda slow (till we tried to prod it away)

IMG_0241-1.jpg

IMG_0237.jpg

Talk about adding insult to injury, considering the fact that the snake is probably covered in urushiol, that sounds like it could be a bad day all around. :D

What is urushiol? The snake is OK, and so are we. They aren't uncommon around here, esp in wetland areas. We saw a black one earlier but I didn't get a pic of it.

IMG_0227.jpg

IMG_0226.jpg

You can see from the pics that it's an area snakes like. It's hard to see them at any rate, and unless it's really hot they can be sluggish and aren't able to get away from you as fast as they normally would, which is why you see them more on some days than others. Normally not a big deal since most of them are harmless. I'm not snakephobic so I don't normally look out for them. I wouldn't have seen that one if I were not with someone else. It's kind of scary cause we were tromping all over that area minutes earlier, probably with the same snake underfoot. I'm surprized I haven't been bit, I need to be more careful. I might start taking a hiking stick with me.

Edited by gitarmac

If you didn't sign the log, you technically didn't find it; it's up to the owner of the cache for the final say, but generally you shouldn't log the smiley unless you signed the logbook- snake or not.

Cool snake, if it's real.

Oh well, I guess I'll go back another time. Maybe in the fall or when it's raining or something. It's not too far from where I live.

Talk about adding insult to injury, considering the fact that the snake is probably covered in urushiol, that sounds like it could be a bad day all around. :D

What is urushiol?

The oil from poison ivy. I may be mistaken (I'm more of a west coast guy and recognize poison oak much better), but isn't that what he's slithering around in? Or are they just berry vines?

If you didn't sign the log, you technically didn't find it; it's up to the owner of the cache for the final say, but generally you shouldn't log the smiley unless you signed the logbook- snake or not.

I don't recall reading anything "official" which states that if you can't sign the log that you can't log a find. There may be some cache owners that would "enforce" this "rule" and I'm no herpetologist but isn't that a Copperhead, a poisonous snake? If a cache owner refused a find when I obviously found the cache container but could not sign it because a poisonous snake was sitting nearby I would immediately put all of their caches on my ignore list.

I don't recall reading anything "official" which states that if you can't sign the log that you can't log a find. There may be some cache owners that would "enforce" this "rule" and I'm no herpetologist but isn't that a Copperhead, a poisonous snake? If a cache owner refused a find when I obviously found the cache container but could not sign it because a poisonous snake was sitting nearby I would immediately put all of their caches on my ignore list.

From the Guide to Finding a Geocache:

Step 4 – The Find

Huzzah! You found the cache! Congratulations! Now what?

Usually you take an item and leave an item, and enter your name and experience you had into the log book. Some people prefer to just enter their name into the log book. It’s an accomplishment enough to locate the cache.

Make sure to seal the cache and place it back where you found it. If it had some rocks covering it, please replace them. It’s pretty straightforward.

Remember that waypoint we suggested you create where your car/trail was located? Use that now to get back! You’ll be glad you had it.

When you get home, email the person who hid the cache and let them know you found it! They’re always happy to know the condition of their cache and it’s nice to know that people are looking for them.

Granted there is nothing that states you MUST sign the log, but it does say you found the cache. In the posted pictures I can't see the cache and the OP doesn't say anything about seeing the actual cache container. Bummer = DNF on two points. Didn't find the container and didn't sign the log.

That's no fake. That's a Copperhead. It's beautiful! One of 4 different posinous species in the U.S. Very common in the east. It's probably the most aggressive of the posinous snakes, but luckily the least posinous.

El Diablo

What is urushiol?

The oil from poison ivy. I may be mistaken (I'm more of a west coast guy and recognize poison oak much better), but isn't that what he's slithering around in? Or are they just berry vines?

I'm quite certain that you are correct - at least some of the plants in that picture are poison ivy.

But I did "find" it, I have a pic of a cord tied around a tree attached to the ammo can, right above the snake. I just didn't open it.

Oh well, I guess I can go back later, like in the fall. I'm not really squeemish about snakes but the area had lots of stumps bark and undergrowth making it unwise to go proding around for hidden treasure. The ones we saw today were a little sluggish, they will move faster when the temps get higher.

I guess since nobody knows what cache it is it will be ok to post the pic here.

snake.jpg

To me, and to most geocachers, what you did was not a loggable "find", and rather, you would need to open the cache container and sign the logbook to record a find. However, thanks for the great pictures of the pit viper! Love it!

BTW, El Diablo, every Eastern copperhead that I have ever met was very private and shy and retiring, and it is the timber rattlesnakes that I have met that tend to be a bit aggressive.

Lastly, a note to the OP: the cache owner may not wish you to post a photo showing the cord leading to the cache, as that could be considered to be a spoiler.

Edited by Vinny & Sue Team

Need special snake handling training and protective clothing. Makes it a 5/5. Poisonous snake makes getting the cache hazardous. Poisonous plant makes the approach hazardous. May not be a cache anyone should log. :D

That's no fake. That's a Copperhead. It's beautiful! One of 4 different posinous species in the U.S. Very common in the east. It's probably the most aggressive of the posinous snakes, but luckily the least posinous.

El Diablo

I was going to ask what kind it is (city girl). Thanks for identification. I did recognize the posion ivy.

I don't think that was poison ivy, virginia creeper maybe. I don't think I react to it but my friend that was with me (the snake spotter) is, she looks out for that as well.

We were thinking about moving it but decided against it, people get bit trying to move or kill poisoness snakes. There were probably more in the area just because of the conditions. I've walked down dirt roads in the fall and spring whenever the weather changes and have seen multiple rattlesnakes sunning themselves on the warm road. They get hit that way but what can ya do.

Maybe I should post something on the cache log page just so people will know to look. I don't take my dogs to some places just cause of the snakes. They are beagles and even though they are on a leash they will attempt to trail about anything. They can't resist snooping under a rotting log or brushpile.

I know there are people out there who are deathly afraid of snakes but your posts don't seem to indicate that. If not, why didn't you just move the snake, coax it with a long stick maybe?

I think it is much better to leave a snake alone. If it moves off on its' own that is one thing, poking at it with a stick is another. Encounters with humans can be very stressfull for a snake! Also for the human...

Remember that the vast majority of snake bites are inflicted on people who either harrass the snake or step on it (either deliberately or by accident). In my opinion, poking with sticks would qualify as harrassment, as would attempting to kill or capture it.

If you see a snake before you get close enough to hurt each other, it is much more prudent to keep away! You both will live longer, and be happier.

Dave_W6DPS

<nevermind>

Dang...no wonder the quotie thing wouldn't work...I was writing a *GROAN* too. :D

P.S. I've never seen an aggressive copperhead either...cottonmouths, yes, and a coral snake that wanted to have me for lunch, but never most other snakes. (and that coral snake was a total fluke with the others I've come across)

Definition - Poisonous

American Heritage Dictionary - Cite This Source - Share This

poi·son·ous Audio Help (poi'zə-nəs) Pronunciation Key

adj.

1. Capable of harming or killing by or as if by poison; toxic or venomous.

2. Containing a poison.

3. Marked by apparent ill will: "poisonous hate . . . in his eyes" (Ernest Hemingway).

poi'son·ous·ly adv., poi'son·ous·ness n.

Synonyms: These adjectives mean having the destructive or fatal effect of a poison: a poisonous snake; a mephitic vapor; a pestilent agitator; pestilential jungle mists; toxic fumes; venomous jealousy; a virulent form of cancer.

Merriam-Webster's Medical Dictionary - Cite This Source - Share This

Main Entry: poi·son·ous

Pronunciation: 'poiz-n&s, -&n-&s

Function: adjective

: having the properties or effects of poison : VENOMOUS

Merriam-Webster's Medical Dictionary, © 2002 Merriam-Webster, Inc.

Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary - Cite This Source - Share This

Poisonous

Poi"son*ous\, a. Having the qualities or effects of poison; venomous; baneful; corrupting; noxious. --Shak. -- Poi"son*ous*ly, adv. -- Poi"son*ous*ness, n.

Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, © 1996, 1998 MICRA, Inc.

<nevermind>

Dang...no wonder the quotie thing wouldn't work...I was writing a *GROAN* too. :D

P.S. I've never seen an aggressive copperhead either...cottonmouths, yes, and a coral snake that wanted to have me for lunch, but never most other snakes. (and that coral snake was a total fluke with the others I've come across)

Definition - Poisonous

American Heritage Dictionary - Cite This Source - Share This

poi·son·ous Audio Help (poi'zə-nəs) Pronunciation Key

adj.

1. Capable of harming or killing by or as if by poison; toxic or venomous.

2. Containing a poison.

3. Marked by apparent ill will: "poisonous hate . . . in his eyes" (Ernest Hemingway).

poi'son·ous·ly adv., poi'son·ous·ness n.

Synonyms: These adjectives mean having the destructive or fatal effect of a poison: a poisonous snake; a mephitic vapor; a pestilent agitator; pestilential jungle mists; toxic fumes; venomous jealousy; a virulent form of cancer.

Merriam-Webster's Medical Dictionary - Cite This Source - Share This

Main Entry: poi·son·ous

Pronunciation: 'poiz-n&s, -&n-&s

Function: adjective

: having the properties or effects of poison : VENOMOUS

Merriam-Webster's Medical Dictionary, © 2002 Merriam-Webster, Inc.

Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary - Cite This Source - Share This

Poisonous

Poi"son*ous\, a. Having the qualities or effects of poison; venomous; baneful; corrupting; noxious. --Shak. -- Poi"son*ous*ly, adv. -- Poi"son*ous*ness, n.

Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, © 1996, 1998 MICRA, Inc.

Copperheads account for more bites by posinous snakes than any other in the US. They often deliver a dry bite, or sometimes strike without biting at all. That one I can verify since I've been struck without being bite. A couple of years ago I was taking the garbage can out to the road one morning when I felt something slap be across my calf. I thought I had step on a stick and it had come up and hit me. When I looked back there laid a Copperhead. Scared the heck out of me. He had a bad day.

El Diablo

I've killed several copperheads over the years but for some reason this pic has me feeling things slithering up my legs. It could also be due to the fact that I found a small copperhead inside my house last year.

Regarding those snakes sunning themselves on the road .. I've found the best way to kill them is the brake method. Right as you are driving over them, slam on the brakes. I'll leave the results to your imagination.

Sorry you didn't get a smiley....

but does it really matter?

As long as you got out of the house, had a good time with friends then the smiley should be seen as a bonus. My five year old son already knows that he can have fun at football even if his team doesn't win. He's playing against boys bigger and older than him and still comes of the field with a smile.

If you can go home with a smile after a dnf than that is better than getting a smiley.

I hate snakes and even I have to admit you've got some pretty cool photos there. I would post the one without the cord on the cache page if I was you. Then again if I had been there I think I would have run in the opposite direction.

The ivy is poison ivy. Seeing as I'm extremely allergic to it and oh wait....I've already broken out just looking at the photos. The easiest way to remember poison ivy is "See three, let it be...see five, let it thrive". Well, I'll be getting my medic for a prednisone shot. Thanks for the fun.

I know there are people out there who are deathly afraid of snakes but your posts don't seem to indicate that. If not, why didn't you just move the snake, coax it with a long stick maybe?

I think it is much better to leave a snake alone. If it moves off on its' own that is one thing, poking at it with a stick is another. Encounters with humans can be very stressfull for a snake! Also for the human...

Remember that the vast majority of snake bites are inflicted on people who either harrass the snake or step on it (either deliberately or by accident). In my opinion, poking with sticks would qualify as harrassment, as would attempting to kill or capture it.

If you see a snake before you get close enough to hurt each other, it is much more prudent to keep away! You both will live longer, and be happier.

Dave_W6DPS

I'll retract what i said above. It's not a good idea for some out there to try moving a snake with a stick. There is always the possibility that a person can get bit, even when trying to be careful.

I've always enjoyed being out in the woods and snake encounters come with the territory. I've come across many species and all four venonmous snakes (copperhead, rattlesnake, moccasin, coral) native to the United States. Most tried to steer clear of me but there were a few times when they stood their ground or they were just cold and lethargic. On those occasions, i either went around to avoid it, picked it up and moved it, or used my hiking stick to get it moving along on it's own. The last two are not something most people should do but as far as i'm concerned, a snake by itself, in most circumstances, won't keep me from getting to a cache. :lol:

Off topic a little, we came across this beautiful critter on our last caching trip. His pattern didn't quite look right to me but i think it was a Speckled King Snake. Someone correct me if i'm wrong.

73343c3e-3ac7-4920-88dd-7243f38304a8.jpg

You would be right. That's what it is. They get pretty big and are good to have around. BTW...they like to hang out in trees or rafters of barns and sheds. King snakes have a great mating ritual that I've witnessed a couple of times. They will climb a tree and crawl out on a branch and hang upside down and entwine. Their combined weight is usually too much for them and they will lose their grip and fall 20 to 30 feet to the ground. Undaunted they will climb right back up and repeat the process many times.

El Diablo

So thats what poison ivy really looks like -- I would have never guessed from book pictures. That explains the rash on my arm. I took a shower right after caching, but apparently my phone case was exposed and several days later my arm broke out from touching the case.

definately fake!! wiggling around you say? It's obviously robotic...the cord around the tree is obviously a decoy. The real cache is inside the fake robotic snake!!

At least you got some good snake pictures out of it, I'd probably be happier with the pictures than a ftf.

I wouldn't be so sure. I think it's a copperhead

Edited to say, "Duhhh" to myself. Already mentioned and I should have read the full thread before replying.

Hey, can snakes get PI? The poor thing has made it his bed.

Edited by Skippermark

First off :laughing:

Secondly what if there was no log to sign? Can you still log it as a find? I found a muggled cache with nothing inside and everything outside. I put everything back but there was no log book to sign.

Thats why I carry sharpies. I am going to sign something, even if its the lid! I have actually had to do that a couple of times.

I've killed several copperheads over the years but for some reason this pic has me feeling things slithering up my legs. It could also be due to the fact that I found a small copperhead inside my house last year.

Regarding those snakes sunning themselves on the road .. I've found the best way to kill them is the brake method. Right as you are driving over them, slam on the brakes. I'll leave the results to your imagination.

Lovely.

I'd bet if it was a less intimidating, cute, furry animal with big sad eyes, you would let it cross the road.

On topic: Snake looks real to me. Just give him some time, and he'll go on his way, then come back and claim your cache. :laughing:

Edited by Suburban Hillbillies

Lovely.

I'd bet if it was a less intimidating, cute, furry animal with big sad eyes, you would let it cross the road.

On topic: Snake looks real to me. Just give him some time, and he'll go on his way, then come back and claim your cache. :laughing:

Well since said cute animal isn't a threat to me or my family .. probably. But finding poisonous snakes mere feet from my parents' house on several occasions and one inside my house ... um not on your life. I do the same to the black widows and brown recluse spiders I find near and in my house as well. Call me crazy but I have this strange desire for survival.

Lovely.

Well since said cute animal isn't a threat to me or my family .. probably. But finding poisonous snakes mere feet from my parents' house on several occasions and one inside my house ... um not on your life. I do the same to the black widows and brown recluse spiders I find near and in my house as well. Call me crazy but I have this strange desire for survival.

I can see your point on one being in your house, or close proximity around a house with children. Same as if a criminal breaks into your home, you should have the right pop a cap in their butt.

I guess using your theory, though, if I see a person crossing the road who looks like someone that has broken into my house, even though they haven't, I should be able to shoot them as well.

Lovely.

I can see your point on one being in your house, or close proximity around a house with children. Same as if a criminal breaks into your home, you should have the right pop a cap in their butt.

I guess using your theory, though, if I see a person crossing the road who looks like someone that has broken into my house, even though they haven't, I should be able to shoot them as well.

If I saw them running away with my new Garmin Colorado in their hands I would shoot first and ask questions later. :laughing:

Nice stat page you have on your profile, by the way. Trying to figure out how to set one up for myself. My inner geek is pleased when I look at it.

Lovely.

If I saw them running away with my new Garmin Colorado in their hands I would shoot first and ask questions later. :laughing:

Nice stat page you have on your profile, by the way. Trying to figure out how to set one up for myself. My inner geek is pleased when I look at it.

For that I use GSAK with the FINDSTATSGEN3 macro. Not too difficult once you get it set up.

OK, I'll stop... This is getting off topic.