How do I read a palm while outside

I started paperlass caching over a year ago with a Palm Vx (black & Whte) and loved it.

Started having battery problems which turned out to be unit problems last winter. Upgraded to a Palm Z22 (colour) but before I really started using I upgraded my phone to HTC Touch which is a Windows device. Cachemate is loaded on both the new devices.

On both colour devices I can not read the screen in anything other than overcast sky in the shade.

Turned on the old palm for a trail and I can read it in sunlight. Did a in-cradle reset on it and I thought I cleared my Problem as I used it for a few weeks, happy again.

Today old Vx will not saty on for more than 5 seconds out of the cradle... guess it's really toast this time.

Question, am I missing a setting on the Z22 to make the screen more readable? I have tried adjusting the contrast but no better.

Is it the nature of the machine or have I done something wrong?

TIA

I have a z22 and I just cover it with my hand to block the light.

Tried that but still very hard to read, That why I'm thinking there must be a darkness or brightness setting somewhere... all I have found is the contrast.

Thanks.

Try this.

It appears that there is a contrast and a brightness control on that unit

I went on Ebay and bought new battery for my Palm 505 works just like new. Now with long battery life. Oh if you do this make sure you have either a t5 or t6 torx screw driver some of the batterys come with screwdrivers. Here is a website describing how to install

http://www.laptopsforless.com/palmbatteryinstallation.html

bashspa59

Thanks but did that and found that the Vx is not held togeather with screws but glue. Quite a procedure but new battery didn't fix the problem so it must be the unit itself.

The Z22 is the only Palm currently being produced without a Transflective color touchscreen. A non-TFT screen will wash-out in the sun, while a TFT screen will actually use the sunlight to help make the screen readable.

Washout describes it perfectly. Might have to look for a older B&W unit or a color with TFT screen, thanks.

I wrestled with that issue for a year. The brightness and contrast control are useless in the sun. Tried walking to a shaded area and not much better. Dumped it and got a cheap m515 (505 or 500) will also do. They are great in the sunlight.

Sounds like a plan.... thank you all.

Color screens on PDAs, GPSRs, cell phones, digicams, etc etc are pretty poor in direct sunlight, including TFT screens. Some monochrome and grey scale screens are ok. Professional photographers got tired of this some time back, so there are several devices available at your local high level camera store or on line at a number of the big dealers to solve this problem. The one I am using for my various color screens is a Hoodman HoodLoop. Basically, this is like a loupe (the magnifier that people used to use to check their slides), but with opaque sides to block the bright sunlight. It is sized for the typical DSLR LCD, but you can just move it around a little to view all parts of a PDA screen. They are pricey, but well worth it if you take a lot of photos and want to check out the stored images. Or if you have one of the typical P&S that have no optical viewfinder. Or, of course for looking at the color display on your GPSR.