New user, find something/leave something?

DE276c

Well, my understanding is that you have an OPTION to trade swag, that it is not a rule. Some people only log their name in the log book and again on the website when they find the cache.

Swag can be of your choosing. It can be something as simple as going to go get some dollar coins instead of paper dollar bills to put in the cache. Some people have signature items which they put into every cache they trade in (some caches dont have enough room to trade items and are log only) You can put in whatever you want. I can suggest you remember that cachers are of all ages and so you might not want to just put in toys. My swag is inheritly dependant on my cash flow and I purchase alot of things at the dollar store including small first aid kits and manicure sets. Many stores have dollar areas, where you can get flashlights, carabiners etc. Some caches are theme oriented and the cache owner might request certain items be traded (coins from another country, key chains, plastic soliders, items for your pet dog etc). Most cachers have a motto, trade up, trade even or dont trade - there are some cachers which dont put alot of energy into getting swag and there has been some cheaper swag - things from gumball machines - and many cachers are not in appreciation os this type of swag. Some cachers even have their own coins made, or make their own signature coins or items out of polymer clay. There are alot of very creative people out there, I have even seen personalized pin buttons made. It is up to you, goo dluck in your hunt and welcome to geocaching

I am new to geocaching and have not gone out to my first find yet. I understand that the rule is to take something and leave something. I don't know what to get or use for my leave something. Any suggestions? Thanks,
My suggestion is to check out what stuff in caches that you like to get some ideas. The biggest thing is to trade even. Also never trade for geocoins. Those have owners and they are supposed to be discovered or to travel. :D

I am new to geocaching and have not gone out to my first find yet. I understand that the rule is to take something and leave something. I don't know what to get or use for my leave something. Any suggestions? Thanks,

Thanks for the reply. On the FAQ's it doesn't seem to say much about it so I appreciate the suggestions. I think I will try to come up with several differant items to take with me. Some nice things and some a little less so that depending on what the cache is will somewhat determine what I leave. Thanks again.

Yes, trading is optional. The rule is IF you take something, then leave something of equal value behind.

You'll find a range of things in caches from nice little signature items, camping equipment, etc. to broken toys and junk unfortunately.

Don't get hung up on the trading. I suggest going after a few caches with the intent of signing the logbook only and checking out the things in the caches you find. You'll get a feel for what's in there, what you'd like to find and what you don't like to find.

From there, you can establish what you want to start trading.