Atheist Geocachers?

This thread was started to counter the Christian threads. Nothing more, nothing less. Personally, I don't think threads discussing Christianity or atheism should be allowed in the main forum. Just my opinion.

Thanks for sharing!

I don't care :D

Edited by XopherN71
This thread was started to counter the Christian threads. Nothing more, nothing less. Personally, I don't think threads discussing Christianity or atheism should be allowed in the main forum. Just my opinion.

Thanks for sharing!

I don't care :D

See, we do have something in common. I don't care either :D

So I'm confused. Was this a legitimate thread or not?

Seems like just a bunch of playing around to me. That's too bad. Kinda gives fuel to the fire that some how people who don't believe in some sort of diety aren't worthy of serious consideration in their own right.

So I'm confused. Was this a legitimate thread or not?

Seems like just a bunch of playing around to me. That's too bad. Kinda gives fuel to the fire that some how people who don't believe in some sort of diety aren't worthy of serious consideration in their own right.

What was this thread about again?

It was until it got hijacked :D

I thought we were having a pleasant dialogue, even coming from different backgrounds... But your friend has determined that you aren't allowed to play with the Christian kids. Maybe I should go now?

His friend? I don't know either of you, FWIW. But aren't such "pleasant dialogues" typically done in the off topic forum? I'm just asking...

It was until it got hijacked :D

I thought we were having a pleasant dialogue, even coming from different backgrounds... But your friend has determined that you aren't allowed to play with the Christian kids. Maybe I should go now?

His friend? I don't know either of you, FWIW. But aren't such "pleasant dialogues" typically done in the off topic forum? I'm just asking...

or in PM's... I PM'd you because you seem to want to discuss the finer points of atheism, but you threatened me and reported me for PM'ing you. Darned if I do and darned if I don't I guess. Have yourself a find and pleasant day sir.

I do not come here to be harassed by people hiding behind private messages. For all to see - and for the moderator's benefit, here is the PM I received:

Atheism and humanism are taught 100% in the public school system. And you are complaining about not getting serious consideration? That's all you folks get. And then you accuse anyone that doesn't believe that we evolved from pond scum "Ignorant" or "Stupid"...

Atheists and humanists are some of the most hateful and intollerant of any religious group.. And yes, you are a religious group. It takes more faith to believe life appeared from nothing than to believe in a deity..

I know, I know... I'm just being stupid and ignorant, right?

My response was to request that this person stop PMing me and to inform them that the PM is being reported to the moderating team.

I have since received yet another PM from this person - so obviously they aren't getting the message that I am not interested in playing this game.

I come here to discuss geocaching, not enter into philosophical discussions with other people here.

I do not come here to be harassed by people hiding behind private messages. For all to see - and for the moderator's benefit, here is the PM I received:

Atheism and humanism are taught 100% in the public school system. And you are complaining about not getting serious consideration? That's all you folks get. And then you accuse anyone that doesn't believe that we evolved from pond scum "Ignorant" or "Stupid"...

Atheists and humanists are some of the most hateful and intollerant of any religious group.. And yes, you are a religious group. It takes more faith to believe life appeared from nothing than to believe in a deity..

I know, I know... I'm just being stupid and ignorant, right?

My response was to request that this person stop PMing me and to inform them that the PM is being reported to the moderating team.

I have since received yet another PM from this person - so obviously they aren't getting the message that I am not interested in playing this game.

I come here to discuss geocaching, not enter into philosophical discussions with other people here.

You've now taken something that should be in PM and made it public. You've stated you didn't want me to PM you, I wrote back and told you basically, "Fine, have a nice day".... You are the one continuing this now Peters.

You've now taken something that should be in PM and made it public. You've stated you didn't want me to PM you, I wrote back and told you basically, "Fine, have a nice day".... You are the one continuing this now Peters.

Well I guess if you've done nothing wrong then you have nothing to worry about, right?

You have a nice day too now. :D

Since we are publically dealing with this situation, I'd like to point out to the mods that I chose not to post off-topic and decided to go the PM route. Peters reported my first and only PM to him and asked me to not discuss with him any further. *HE* decided to make this entire thing public.

Peters, if you know me at all, you'll know I don't hide behind PM's .. EVER... I did that in an attempt to follow forum guidelines and not get myself in trouble for posting off-topic to the thread.

This is a nice change from the "multiple finds" and "commercial guidelines" threads going on I suppose :D

Well I guess if you've done nothing wrong then you have nothing to worry about, right?

You have a nice day too now. :D

What have I done wrong Peters? If you are afraid to discuss atheism with me, then fine. You've stated that and Im not going to PM you anymore. I had every word of that PM written in the public forums ready to hit send and decided to go the "proper" route for that sort of thing.

I will have a fine day Peters. I see your in Beaverton. I'm sure we'll cross paths some day at an event or something and maybe we can continue the conversation then.

Since we are publically dealing with this situation, I'd like to point out to the mods that I chose not to post off-topic and decided to go the PM route. Peters reported my first and only PM to him and asked me to not discuss with him any further. *HE* decided to make this entire thing public.

Peters, if you know me at all, you'll know I don't hide behind PM's .. EVER... I did that in an attempt to follow forum guidelines and not get myself in trouble for posting off-topic to the thread.

Don't forget that I've forwarded both of your PMs to the mod. They have the complete story - not the edited version of your 2nd PM to me that you reported here.

This thread was off-topic LONG before you PM'd me, so your "attempt" to follow forum guidelines really doesn't wash, IMO. But I'm content to let the mods deal with it from here on out.

Sunday morning?

Works for me! :ph34r:

I'm truly sorry to see that this thread has disintegrated and we can't have a normal discussion between us without it coming to this.

I won't let a few ruin this for us though so with that I ask... What would you like to see on a coin? I'm looking for ideas and maybe, just maybe we can get enough people interested to make it possible.

Let's get this started :blink:

1. I'm in!

I'd like to see something that resembles the outdoors and the search perhaps. Not sure how that could be portrayed but I think it could be cool.

I'm truly sorry to see that this thread has disintegrated and we can't have a normal discussion between us without it coming to this.

I won't let a few ruin this for us though so with that I ask...

I'm sorry to have this thread derailed as well. I did not ask to be attacked or called names simply because I requested this thread stay on topic.

I'm not sure who you mean by "a few" but it was certainly never my intent to ruin this thread. But blame me if that makes you feel better. I will refrain from further participation on this thread.

Happy caching all.

So when are we going to get a group of atheists together to go caching?

Sunday morning? :blink:

Lep, you have just earned the vengeful wrath of the fundamentalist Christian sect that for years has maintained a roadside billboard along Route 15 South near Gettysburg PA, maintaining that Saturday is the true and predestined Christian day of worship, and that the whole thing of designating Sunday as the Sabbath is a Satanic plot!

No it hasn't got derailed. Just some get upset with this subject. Yes I will be more than glad to join the group here. I agree with my hubby I hope people understand what people believe if it is Judo Christian, Atheism or what ever you believe. We all need to play nice and enjoy the sport we all love.

Now back on the subject. Yes I think it would be nice to start a group for Atheist and other Non-Christian believers.

So when are we going to get a group of atheists together to go caching?

Sunday morning? :blink:

Lep, you have just earned the vengeful wrath of the fundamentalist Christian sect that for years has maintained a roadside billboard along Route 15 South near Gettysburg PA, maintaining that Saturday is the true and predestined Christian day of worship, and that the whole thing of designating Sunday as the Sabbath is a Satanic plot!

Hey wait up I am a Christian FUN in de middlest.

I understand the whole Sunday Law concept.

The word Saturday comes from the word Sabado or Sabbath.

The 7th day of the week.

He worked 6 and rested on the 7th.

So Sunday caching as well as Saturday or Tuesday, Friday maybe.

All were created for us and I would rather as someone said spend 5 minutes in the woods with God than a whole lifetime in a building.

Yes I think it would be nice to start a group for Atheist and other Non-Christian believers.

So now it's not just about atheism, but about everybody EXCEPT Christians? No agenda here folks, move along please....

(Help, I'm being repressed!)

Edited by ReadyOrNot

...I'm truly sorry to see that this thread has disintegrated and we can't have a normal discussion between us without it coming to this....

What did you expect? Most people of faith be it in God, Science, Athiesm, or the all knowing power of their favorite political party are unable to think rationally enough, or even if they can otherwise think rationally manage to turn it off for a discussion. On the rare occasion that I can get someone of an opposing religious or political belief to be forthright, honest, and if not rational, at least calm I learn things. Most of the time though those conversations run like this thread.

...Yes I think it would be nice to start a group for Atheist and other Non-Christian believers everyone except Christians.

Believers in what?

I re-worded hoping to capture the writers intent.

No, she was referring to her own beliefs. She is a pagan. She believes there is a force that controls our lives. The force of nature itself. Therefore she does not believe in a deity. Hence she is a Non-Christian believer. It has nothing to do with excluding Christians any more than a Christian group does with excluding Non-Christians.

That's the problem with not fitting the religious mold that society has cast. It's hard to know just what label to use for oneself.

Atheism is not a religion, unless you redefine the word to mean something it currently does not. (That is what certain groups are doing with the word "science", that is, attempting to redefine it to something it is not.)

It takes no faith at all to accept the facts. And there is no reason the facts have to interfere with one's personal decision to believe there is a supreme being.

...Yes I think it would be nice to start a group for Atheist and other Non-Christian believers everyone except Christians.

Believers in what?

I re-worded hoping to capture the writers intent.

No, she was referring to her own beliefs. She is a pagan. She believes there is a force that controls our lives. The force of nature itself. Therefore she does not believe in a deity. Hence she is a Non-Christian believer. It has nothing to do with excluding Christians any more than a Christian group does with excluding Non-Christians.

That's the problem with not fitting the religious mold that society has cast. It's hard to know just what label to use for oneself.

Maybe my logic is flawed, but isn't "Atheists" + "Non-Christian believers" = "Everyone except Christians" ??? Muslim, Hindu, Shiite, Mormon, J.W., Unitarian, Jewish, Buddhist... These are all Non-Christian belief systems, which are all included in this persons statement. An atheist is simply one who does not have a belief system, so...... Maybe I'm missing something...

(edit to add agnostics, sorry for leaving you out)

Edited by ReadyOrNot

Atheism is not a religion, unless you redefine the word to mean something it currently does not. (That is what certain groups are doing with the word "science", that is, attempting to redefine it to something it is not.)

It takes no faith at all to accept the facts. And there is no reason the facts have to interfere with one's personal decision to believe there is a supreme being.

It depends on what "facts" you are talking about. If "facts" are in dispute and not proven by science, then they aren't "facts", they are "theories". A theory is open for interpretation.

Maybe my logic is flawed, but isn't "Atheists" + "Non-Christian believers" = "Everyone except Christians" ??? Muslim, Hindu, Shiite, Mormon, J.W., Unitarian, Jewish, Buddhist... These are all Non-Christian belief systems, which are all included in this persons statement. An atheist is simply one who does not have a belief system, so...... Maybe I'm missing something...

(edit to add agnostics, sorry for leaving you out)

Yes, if it makes you feel better about yourself at the end of the day. Whatever you say is fine.

:laughing:

I honestly feel sorry for you. You can't feel happy as less you feel repressed. :lol:

Edited by Totem Clan

I find that in my life when a non-belief in traditional Christian values is expressed AND atheism is presented, then looky-lous come out to gander at those incredulous enough to state such a sentiment. I find that an incredible amount of pressure is put on me and almost everyone offers to "pray" for me ( which I find condescending and not at all sincere). Do you others feel this way or at you just left alone in your opinion? I like going to church as well. Regardless of a belief in the deity, the life lessons and moral codes of the stories and sermons are interesting, just like Ptah-Hotep's letter to his son.

I am participating in the Woodstock this year and will have my handle embroidered onto my clothes if anyone wants to stop by and say hi.

-Kohlthemule

I find that in my life when a non-belief in traditional Christian values is expressed...

I find that I don't trust most folks who feel they can just philosophize their own moral code. It’s usually built on rationaliziation and ignorance. A lot of people get hurt as a result. When you ask them questions it doesn't take long to find the utter lack of foundation for their values. Normally they can't see the problem or the contractions. The "It's all about me" philosophy does seem to play a big part most times.

It depends on what "facts" you are talking about. If "facts" are in dispute and not proven by science, then they aren't "facts", they are "theories". A theory is open for interpretation.

The "it's only a theory" argument has been skewered every time it comes up, but people just keep saying the same thing again and again and again.

The biggest problem with evolution is people think they understand it when they really have no idea. All lines of evidence point to the same conclusion, and there is no dispute except the one manufactured by those who have the mistaken belief that evolution threatens their belief in a supreme being. It doesn't. (Unless of course you believe the earth is 6,000-odd years old.)

By the way, a theory is not open for interpretation. It is open to be proven wrong, and the highest accolades go to those scientists who do just that. That's why the scientific process has been so stunningly successful... it is self-correcting and slowly builds on itself.

Dogma, on the other hand, is a closed case and is not to be questioned.

At least I recognize that my religion is a "religion"... Let me get this straight, you are correct and everything you believe is "fact" and anyone that believes otherwise must be ignorant and stupid...

Hmmmm.. I've seen this somewhere before..

(EDIT: One of my favoritist things that you folks say: "Noone disputes evolution except those that dispute it".. But the ones that dispute it are ignorant and stupid, so they don't count)...

Almost enough to make you laugh if it wasn't so sad....

Edited by ReadyOrNot

I find that in my life when a non-belief in traditional Christian values is expressed...

I find that I don't trust most folks who feel they can just philosophize their own moral code. It’s usually built on rationaliziation and ignorance. A lot of people get hurt as a result. When you ask them questions it doesn't take long to find the utter lack of foundation for their values. Normally they can't see the problem or the contractions. The "It's all about me" philosophy does seem to play a big part most times.

ME TOO!!! I don't think people should philosophize their own moral code. That is where extremists come in and those people are not good for anyone. They usually do harm to the greater name of the cause they associate with.

But I didn't say I had no moral code. So I don't know why I was quoted. I even brought up Ptah-Hotep and everything.

If everyone had the common goal of finding the "truth" and not just believing whatever makes your ego feel good, we would all be on common ground and be able to have a conversation. Everytime I talk to an atheist, the conversation ALWAYS turns into either a) I am not as smart as they are or :huh: I'm ignorant... that's plain scary. The BAD Christians that I know don't even make other people feel that way..

ME TOO!!! I don't think people should philosophize their own moral code. That is where extremists come in and those people are not good for anyone. They usually do harm to the greater name of the cause they associate with.

But I didn't say I had no moral code. So I don't know why I was quoted. I even brought up Ptah-Hotep and everything.

I don't think we are on the same page. When I talk about philophizing their own code I'm talking inventing it from scratch for their own purpose. When it comes to moral code as a whole you have to talk about it, discuss it, argue over it. That's another thing. If for no other reason than morals and ethics become law.

If everyone had the common goal of finding the "truth" and not just believing whatever makes your ego feel good, we would all be on common ground and be able to have a conversation. Everytime I talk to an atheist, the conversation ALWAYS turns into either a) I am not as smart as they are or :huh: I'm ignorant... that's plain scary. The BAD Christians that I know don't even make other people feel that way..

If someone were to show you that there is a blatant flaw in the Bible would quit believing?

Edited by Totem Clan

Everytime I talk to an atheist, the conversation ALWAYS turns into either a) I am not as smart as they are or :huh: I'm ignorant...

That is just too general. All conversations where people are opposed go that way. Repub vs Demcrats, Women vs. Men, Patriots vs. the Steelers, ect... and the feeling is mutual.