Fireworks?

I recently found a cache that had some fireworks in it. Now, I'm not one to worry, but when we already have caches being blown up by bomb squads, should we really allow fireworks in ammo cans?

Or is there really nothing we can do to control this anyway?

The "Cache Contents" guideline includes fireworks in the list of prohibited items. If the initial cache contents are described on the cache page and fireworks are on the list, I don't publish the cache until the owner goes back and removes the item. Reviewers can also disable active caches if someone reports a prohibited item. The best thing to do is simply to remove the prohibited item. That will save the cache owner a maintenance trip.

People who place fireworks in caches are likely not the type who will read the guidelines anyways.

The "Cache Contents" guideline includes fireworks in the list of prohibited items. If the initial cache contents are described on the cache page and fireworks are on the list, I don't publish the cache until the owner goes back and removes the item. Reviewers can also disable active caches if someone reports a prohibited item. The best thing to do is simply to remove the prohibited item. That will save the cache owner a maintenance trip.

People who place fireworks in caches are likely not the type who will read the guidelines anyways.

Assuming they can read at all.

From www.geocaching.com/FAQ..........

What shouldn't be in a cache?

Use your common sense in most cases. Explosives, ammo, knives, drugs, and alcohol shouldn't be placed in a cache. Respect the local laws. All ages of people hide and seek caches, so use some thought before placing an item into a cache.

Last time I checked, most fireworks explode. Bad choice of swag to leave behind, you would be totally correct in removing it. Be sure to dispose of it outside city limits in a location where sparks would not be a problem.

Oh I'm sure that you did there cheif.... :D

So what do you think genius??? :) I certainly hope that these were "fireworks" that had the ability to remove fingers!

The ONLY fireworks (and or explosives) that I want to find...or my 3-year old to find is; the most unstable, old, home-built and illegal "firework" available. I prefer if it is in an ammo-can saturated with a flammable liquid!!!

KD5XB... I'm glad that you asked. Now you know....

Is there anything else that I can clear up for you??????

Perhaps you found a gun in a cache? I would be happy to walk you through the steps of tracking and moving such an item....

That might just be the WORST thing to turn up in a cache. Not only because of the bomb squad situations we've seen play out here and there, but fireworks are completely illegal in some states (Pennsylvania, for instance). I think fireworks are worse than food, alcohol or tobacco (also prohibited from caches). But as has been said, you really can't stop schmucks from doing what they're going to do, just trash it out and move on.