KU Blue 2008 Kansas Sunshine Geocoin

larry739

To commemorate the University of Kansas winning the NCAA Men's Basketball Championship for 2008 I have made a KU Blue version of the popular Kansas Sunshine micro geocoin. Here it is:

kublue.jpg.jpg

There were 500 made.

300 gold

100 nickel

100 black nickel

The gold ones are available for $8.50 each or you can get a five pack of 4 gold and 1 nickel for $37.95.

Prices include shipping and handling. Orders will ship in two weeks when I get back from vacation.

Only 200 gold and 50 nickel will be sold. First come first serve.

The black nickel will be trade only for coins I do not already have in my collection. Let me know what you have to trade.

Send your info to me at this address.

Give me your paypal email and how many you want. If you wish to pay by check or Money order let me know. That is okl but paypal orders will be filled first.

Rock Chalk Jayhawk KU!!!!!

Edited by larry739

To commemorate the University of Kansas winning the NCAA Men's Basketball Championship for 2008 I have made a KU Blue version of the popular Kansas Sunshine micro geocoin. Here it is:

kublue.jpg

There were 500 made.

300 gold

100 nickel

100 black nickel

The gold ones are available for $8.50 each or you can get a five pack of 4 gold and 1 nickel for $37.95.

Prices include shipping and handling. Orders will ship in two weeks when I get back from vacation.

Only 200 gold and 50 nickel will be sold. First come first serve.

The black nickel will be trade only for coins I do not already have in my collection. Let me know what you have to trade.

Send your info to me at this address.

Give me your paypal email and how many you want. If you wish to pay by check or Money order let me know. That is okl but paypal orders will be filled first.

Rock Chalk Jayhawk KU!!!!!

SO, These are Not the micros :D ?

Is it just me? The picture doesn't show up..

I uploaded to another website so the photo should appear now

Here is the url so you can go straight to it:

http://btboar.tripod.com/kublue.jpg.jpg

These are 1" geocoins. Custom icon the same as the 2008 Kansas sunshine. Same back side as the 2008 Kansas Sunshine. Only the front changed. KS_____ prefix.

Edited by larry739

It must be you, because it shows up for me.

http://www.geocities.com/larry739@sbcglobal.net/kublue.jpg

These are 1" geocoins. Custom icon the same as the 2008 Kansas sunshine. Same back side as the 2008 Kansas Sunshine. Only the front changed. KS_____ prefix.

Larry, you're probably seeing it due to it being in your browser's cache. Here's the message the direct link gives:

The GeoCities web site you were trying to view has temporarily exceeded its data transfer limit. Please try again later.

It must be you, because it shows up for me.

http://www.geocities.com/larry739@sbcglobal.net/kublue.jpg

Larry, you're probably seeing it due to it being in your browser's cache. Here's the message the direct link gives:

The GeoCities web site you were trying to view has temporarily exceeded its data transfer limit. Please try again later.

Yep I uploaded it to another webpage and changed the link to the new url

kublue.jpg.jpg

Thanks

I am just trying to understand the histrory for the Sunshine micro.

How many years have you made these?

Has it always been the same mold/die? (they seem very similar)

Thanks

The History of the Kansas Sunshine micro geocoin

2006 The first Kansas sunshine geocoin was developed to spread Kansas sunshine around the world. 2000 were made, 1500 were black nickel and 500 were gold. All had tan center on front and green on back with two tone yellow pedals. They were not lacquered. They were sold in 5packs and 10packs. Only the 10packs included a gold unactivated. Every order also got an activated gold to place in a cache. Out of the initial 2000, about 1500 were sold. The rest were activated or given away. The mold and the icon were unique. The purpose of this geocoin was to get more geocoins in circulation in caches. It is quite possibly one of the most abundant geocoins in circulation, but don't know how to gather the data. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable can do it. The coin was minted by Oak Coins and there were also pins made, about 200. These coins and pins are about all gone now. I still have a few in my personal stash.

2007 This was the second Kansas sunshine. It was the same on the front as the first but the back had 2007 on it. 1000 were made initially. 750 were copper and 250 were antique gold. All of the gold ones were activated and most were released into the wild. None were ever sold. Many of the copper were sold in 5 and 10 packs and individually. Quite a few were released into the wild. An additional 100 copper were made later and activated and released into the wild. A few were left in caches unactivated. The coin was minted by Castle Coins and Pins, Castleman, and was one of his first projects. The center was rusty orange.

2008 - This was the third Kansas sunshine. It was the same on the front as the first two but the back had 2008 on it. It has a unique icon. 1000 were made. 700 were antique silver, 200 were antique gold and 100 were black nickel. They were sold in 5packs and 10packs. The antique gold was one of the coins in the ten pack. The black nickel is for trade only for other geocoins. All coins are lacquered and the pedals are all the same color not two tone. These are still available. Many are being released into the wild. The center is red glitter like Dorothy's ruby red slippers. All of the ones released into the wild (all three metals) have been named for subjects and characters taken from the Wizard of Oz. You can see some these on my profile. So far in about a month I have activated and released 79 into the wild. More will be released next week all up and down the state of California in caches I plan to visit there. About another 50 have been left in caches or given to cachers unactivated. Many of those have since been activated and placed in geocaches. This coin was minted by Oak Coins. There were no pins.

Just recently the KU Blue version was commissioned. 500 total are made. These are to commemorate KU winning the 2008 NCAA Men's Basketball Championship. The front of the coin has two tone KU Blue pedals and still has the red glitter ruby red slippers center. The back is unchanged from the regular 2008 Ks Sunshine. It is lacquered. There were 300 shiney gold, 100 shiney nickel and 100 black nickel made. They are being sold individually (gold only) or in 5 packs (4 gold 1 nickel). The black nickel version will be trade only. Many will be activated and left in caches. It will have the same icon as the 2008 regular version. Oak coins made this one too.

The whole idea with all of the Kansas Sunshine geocoins is to get as many geocoins into circulation in geocaches as possible for the pure joy they bring to geocachers new and experienced, young and old when they are found on the trail.

I can tell you with utter certainty that I have lost money on this, but not too much. It is close to break even. Otherwise my wife would not let me keep doing it. Rolling a couple to three or four thousand bucks per run is a bit scary. But everyone who buys a few helps to pay this off and are in that way contributing to the placement of geocoins into the wild, even if they do not put one out there themselves. Many do.

I would love to know how many are in the wild and what their survival rate is and so forth, but it is enough to see the flood of emails every night with logs showing they were grabbed discovered or dropped off in another cache. It makes pleasant reading.

I have personally activated and released 699 Kansas Sunshine geocoins into caches as of today. I will probably go over 1000 by the end of this year.

Every one of them says on its page:

Spread Kansas sunshine around the world. Please keep this coin moving in caches. If you want one contact me.

Edited by larry739

Rock Chalk Jayhawk...order sent!

But the burning question for me is what does that quote mean? Thanks!

The Rock Chalk Chant has been the battle cry of KU fans for over 100 years. This strange, traditional chant, which is among the most famous of all college cheers, was started by E.H.S. Bailey, a professor of chemistry.

Bailey wanted a cheer for his Science Club. Returning from a convention in Wichita, Bailey and some associates patterned the yell after the rhythmic cadence of their train rolling along the tracks. On May 21, 1886, Bailey submitted the cheer to his club. Originally, the chant was "Ray, Rah, Jay Hawk, K.U." repeating the words three times. This yell was used by the science club the next year and there were frequent allusions to "The Science Club Yell" in the student newspapers

An English professor suggested that "Rock Chalk" be substituted for "Rah, Rah" because it rhymed with Jayhawk and because it would be symbolic of the chalky limestone formations found on Mount Oread.

The chant was adopted as the college yell after the state oratorical contest in Topeka in 1886 because KU student yells for the their winners were enthusiatic, but unorganized. By the Fall of 1887 the yell was know as the offical yell of the school as the student newspaper reported on November 4, 1887,

"Every college of importance in this country has a college cry. In every town in which a college is situated, the midnight air resounds with the hideous yells of the student, symbolic of victory, defeat, or devilment. The students of the University of Kansas use their yell but little and it is only admidst great victory that "Rock-chalk-Jay-Hawk, K-U-U-U floats throught the midnight air reminding one of a band of Apache Indians."

By 1889 the form of the cheer had changed to the drawn-out cadence repeated twice, followed by three staccato repetitions.

Well, Jude and I got back from our California Pacific Coast Highway drive vacation on Sunday and yesterday picked up the coins at the post office. All of the KUBLue Kansas sunshine orders and trades have all been mailed out today and should be arriving soon. Hopefully you will have them before you depart for GW if you are going. Unfortunately we left all the money we could afford in California last week. We did drive by the hotel where GW will be held on Thursday and I was tempted to hide a cache full of Kansas sunshine geocoins nearby, but unfortunately I had already released all of them into caches along the California coast during our trip.

hahaha

Well, I hope those of you who still want some will write me and order some because I have tons of them left along with the regular 2008 ruby red slippers ones. I will mix and match so if you want some of both no problem just let me know what you desire. I am being easy here. Just put out and gave away some more today here in Kansas.

You so much should see this little jewel. I love it to death. Who recommended I make a blue one back during the cointest for the 2008 design? I want to send you one for free. It was such a great idea.

If you have ever been to Allen Field House during a KU game then your spine will tingle when you watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8laAlpFy57Y

My seat is on the fourth row up from the floor on the Northeast corner near the student section.

ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK KUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!

Edited by larry739