Mt Fuji

Here are some pictures from when I climbed Mt Fuji several years ago. I have a cool walking staff that I posted about in the "walking staff" thread, but i cannot find a picture of it right now. The stick in in out storage unit, so I cannot get a new picture of it right now. Sorry. Hope you like these. The climb took 11 hours. The decent took 3. We climbed until about 10pm, then slept for a few hours, and started the climb again about 2am to be at the summit for sunrise. Was to coolest thing I ever did while I was in the military.

At the start of the climb.

2309679Fuji8.jpg

One quarter of the way up.

2309676Fuji4.jpg

About halfway up, looking down.

2309677Fuji5.jpg

Three quarters of the way up, looking down.

2309678Fuji6.jpg

Very near the summit.

2309675fuji2.jpg

At the summit.

2309674fuji1.jpg

It was an 11 hour climb. And 3 hours to go back down. The entire trip was about 18 hours including our short nap at one of the little huts 3/4 of the way up. There were many people that were not prepared for the climb. A lot of people had to turn back when they realized this. I don't think a lot of the tourists considered what they were attempting when they started out. There were even a few times where my group of three were second guessing ourselves. :D There are no very extreme vertical sections, so it is not what many people think of when they hear mountain climbing. No need for ropes and climbing gear like that. But it does get very rough toward the summit. You needed to be properly dressed and prepared. Both with the gear you had and your physical health.

Another thing was people not bringing warm cloths. This was during the summer, and the base was over 80 degrees. So many people never considered that it would be in the 20's at the top, and had to turn back because they were freezing.

Edited by Lurch77