DNFs before first find?

gpsTrian

When you were a geoneophyte, how many DNFs did you have before your first success?

Today was my first time out caching. I stopped at four caches and didn't find any of them. Do I even bother logging my visits?

Would like to hear about your first attempts. Maybe that will help brighten what turned out to be a dismal day.

I probably should have had a DNF on my 1st cache, but I just wasn't willing to give up. I spent about 1.5 hours at the cache site, trying to follow the arrow on the GPS. I probably stepped over the actual cache 6 or 7 times. When I finally got frustrated with the GPS and started looking around, I found it within about 5-10 minutes.

Just remember that the GPS is only good for getting you in the general location of the cache. Put away the GPS once you get to ground zero and start looking in places you would hide something.

I was lucky to find my first two, but they were both fairly large, had good hints, and weren't to camouflaged. However I had to DNF the next several, so I chalk it up to beginners luck. I'm glad you had the patience to hunt that hard, I don't think I could have done it!

I probably should have had a DNF on my 1st cache, but I just wasn't willing to give up. I spent about 1.5 hours at the cache site, trying to follow the arrow on the GPS. I probably stepped over the actual cache 6 or 7 times. When I finally got frustrated with the GPS and started looking around, I found it within about 5-10 minutes.

Just remember that the GPS is only good for getting you in the general location of the cache. Put away the GPS once you get to ground zero and start looking in places you would hide something.

On one cache the GPS brought me behind a building and the only thing around was a transformer with an open area on the bottom. I didn't know enough about those things to be poking my hands in there. :D

I was lucky and found my very first on my first try. It took a little while because I didn't know what I was really looking for. #2 and #3 took me 3 times each. #2 was a well camo'd hanging cache inside a holly type bush and #3 ended up being missing. So don't give up. The more you see the more you learn and I am still learning. I just logged the only DNF on a 1/1 cache that 42 people have found and from the picture it was a huge cache.

We got lucky with our first attempt--but it was a simple bottle in a tree knothole. Our second was a virtual, which we had to learn how to do, but it was easy enough.

The new few gave us fits, though. We looked for our thrid one five times before we found it, and we had to spend a loooooooonnnnng time looking to find our next two cache.

Which ones did you attempt for your first tries? Would you like us to take a look at them and try to guess if they look like good ones for a new cacher?

PS --we always log our DNFs--folks can tell if you are new by your find count, and they'll make allowances for that when reading over the logs. Most cache owners don't fret toooo much if a new cacher can't find their cache (and if you log your DNF they may offer hints)

Edited by Neos2

We got lucky with our first attempt--but it was a simple bottle in a tree knothole. Our second was a virtual, which we had to learn how to do, but it was easy enough.

The new few gave us fits, though. We looked for our thrid one five times before we found it, and we had to spend a loooooooonnnnng time looking to find our next two cache.

Which ones did you attempt for your first tries? Would you like us to take a look at them and try to guess if they look like good ones for a new cacher?

PS --we always log our DNFs--folks can tell if you are new by your find count, and they'll make allowances for that when reading over the logs. Most cache owners don't fret toooo much if a new cacher can't find their cache (and if you log your DNF they may offer hints)

Ooooh, I'd try them again if I could get more hints. Here's the caches I tried:

GCRBBR

GC17GQX

GCWADK

GCKJ4E - got as far as in front of an eyeglass shop. Would love to know if I was close!

I think I see some patterns...It may be just that you are relying on the gps too much and need to increase the area of your search--but you also seem to have picked a few caches that may be just a bit tricky for a new cacher.

GCRBBR-- looks like it give a few people fits. Did you read the hint? If it isn't there, then where else could it be? Look there, but I think this one may be a bit sneaky--otherwise it's in the sort of place I hate to look and look and look through.

GC17GQX -- I suspect you're relying too much on the gps on this one and just searching a bit further out from ground zero will let you nab the cache. Did you read the hint and the last few logs? Did you read the part about being magnetic? (One thing to think about--it it says magnetic key holder it may to attached to something metal but then again, it may just be tucked away out of sight. Try thinking both ways!)

GCWADK--Probably not a good newbie cache if the place is very public. Most of us feel like everyone is watching us when we are new. This one is small--very small--and may have some problems anyway. I'd put it off for now. Personally I like micros and I don't suggest newbies avoid them (like some people will), but this one has had some issues recently, so perhaps it is harder to find right now than it should be!

Here are a few near some of those that look like good ones for new cachers to try:

GCKZV8

GC18AB8

GC15EJN

They are a little larger, a bit less public, and have lots of found logs, no "problem logs" and have been found recently. After you find those, you will have a better idea of how close your gps gets you, and you'll probably be able to go back to those other ones and snap them up.

When you get close, stop staring at the gps and start looking for places to hide things.

Let us know how it goes. Have fun!

I think I see some patterns...It may be just that you are relying on the gps too much and need to increase the area of your search--but you also seem to have picked a few caches that may be just a bit tricky for a new cacher.

GCRBBR-- looks like it give a few people fits. Did you read the hint? If it isn't there, then where else could it be? Look there, but I think this one may be a bit sneaky--otherwise it's in the sort of place I hate to look and look and look through.

GC17GQX -- I suspect you're relying too much on the gps on this one and just searching a bit further out from ground zero will let you nab the cache. Did you read the hint and the last few logs? Did you read the part about being magnetic? (One thing to think about--it it says magnetic key holder it may to attached to something metal but then again, it may just be tucked away out of sight. Try thinking both ways!)

GCWADK--Probably not a good newbie cache if the place is very public. Most of us feel like everyone is watching us when we are new. This one is small--very small--and may have some problems anyway. I'd put it off for now. Personally I like micros and I don't suggest newbies avoid them (like some people will), but this one has had some issues recently, so perhaps it is harder to find right now than it should be!

Here are a few near some of those that look like good ones for new cachers to try:

GCKZV8

GC18AB8

GC15EJN

They are a little larger, a bit less public, and have lots of found logs, no "problem logs" and have been found recently. After you find those, you will have a better idea of how close your gps gets you, and you'll probably be able to go back to those other ones and snap them up.

When you get close, stop staring at the gps and start looking for places to hide things.

Let us know how it goes. Have fun!

Neos2, thank you so much for taking the time to research those! Tomorrow morning I was planning on a bike ride and will definitely be looking for Funky Monkey. Wish there were more along the bike trail, it's the nicest trail in county. (Best part is that it leads straight to the mall!) Hope to try my luck with the others later on.

I'll take everyone's advise to put down the GPS at ground zero.

Edited by gpsTrian

GCRBBR -- micro along a busy road

GC17GQX -- a magnetic hide a key

GCWADK -- "You are looking for a pico, in other words...IT"S SMALL, very small."

GCKJ4E -- "It’s a pill container "

All these caches are on the small side for a successful hunt with unexperienced eyes. Find the size meter at the top of the cache page, or on the page where your nearby caches are listed. Avoid those in the left most mark at first, bigger caches are to the right and more fun to find for the most part. Go with some of those suggested as well.

It is not uncommon to DNF the first couple trys, you are not familiar with cammo techniques and the devious cacher mind. Don't get discouraged, it comes with a little time.

GCRBBR -- micro along a busy road

GC17GQX -- a magnetic hide a key

GCWADK -- "You are looking for a pico, in other words...IT"S SMALL, very small."

GCKJ4E -- "It’s a pill container "

All these caches are on the small side for a successful hunt with unexperienced eyes. Find the size meter at the top of the cache page, or on the page where your nearby caches are listed. Avoid those in the left most mark at first, bigger caches are to the right and more fun to find for the most part. Go with some of those suggested as well.

It is not uncommon to DNF the first couple trys, you are not familiar with cammo techniques and the devious cacher mind. Don't get discouraged, it comes with a little time.

Yes, I agree with everyone, these might have been a little difficult for a first time out cacher. But this particular PQ was created with 'Caches along a route' since I was on my way to the mall. After playing with the GPSr and software for a week, I was overly excited to make my first go of it.

My larger PQ for my area is based on 1.5 or less difficulty and terrain. I haven't tried any from the larger list yet.

I went out this morning looking for Funkey Monkey. I definitely found the bridge but couldn't find anything resembling two concrete barriers under it. There was a single concrete beam running the length of the underside of the bridge.

This sounded like a nice one I would have liked to find.

Found a lot of litter from kids who hang out under there -- cigarettes packs and such. The logs don't show it being found during the month of April. Either I was looking in the wrong place or the cache has been taken.

On one cache the GPS brought me behind a building and the only thing around was a transformer with an open area on the bottom. I didn't know enough about those things to be poking my hands in there. :D

Smart, very smart. If for any reason you feel uncomfortable searching for a cache don't. I won't argue the pros and cons of any cache hide here, but remember that you are responsible for your own safety.

Also keep the same thing in mind when it comes to having fun. If you find yourself not enjoying a particular type of cache move on. Caching has developed into a diverse pastime. There is something for everyone.

When you were a geoneophyte, how many DNFs did you have before your first success?

Today was my first time out caching. I stopped at four caches and didn't find any of them. Do I even bother logging my visits?

Would like to hear about your first attempts. Maybe that will help brighten what turned out to be a dismal day.

When I was a "geoneophyte," I DNFd four caches, all placed by the same cache team, in one day. :D

They took pity on me and sent me pictures of the fence post cap that lifted up, revealing the hidden container. I didn't know those fence caps lifted up . . . :D

They also sent a picture of the fake rock that held a film canister. :)

I'm sure glad the very first cache I found was an ammo can under an artificial pile of rocks, or the frustration level might have kept me from getting hooked on this activity. :D

When I was a "geoneophyte," I DNFd four caches, all placed by the same cache team, in one day. :D

They took pity on me and sent me pictures of the fence post cap that lifted up, revealing the hidden container. I didn't know those fence caps lifted up . . . :D

They also sent a picture of the fake rock that held a film canister. :)

I'm sure glad the very first cache I found was an ammo can under an artificial pile of rocks, or the frustration level might have kept me from getting hooked on this activity. :D

I'm going to go the pity route and log my DNFs. Thanks for the tip

Being a geoneophyte doesn't have a lot to do with anything .... Believe me, after you think you are an old hand at it, you will still get DNFs when you least expect it. That's part of the fun of the game, and don't ever take yourself so seriously that you can't laugh at some of your experiences.

Which leads me to my second point. Always log your DNFs ... even if you might feel foolish to have not found it. DNF logs can be some of the funniest, and although I don't like to not find a cache, if it happens, I try to make the log humorous for the owner. Remember, every time you log a cache, the owner gets an email. I take great pleasure in reading the logs on my caches, either smiley, or DNF! Aside from the fact that it lets a cache owner know something might be wrong with the cache, it makes great reading, and it is a history of the activity at the cache. Also, as you get more involved in this hobby, if you can, try to write good logs for the finde too! It is really rewarding to most cache owners to know how much someone enjoyed their work. Even if it wasn't a particularly good cache, there must be something you can write about your experience in finding it.

happy hunting.

Being a geoneophyte doesn't have a lot to do with anything .... Believe me, after you think you are an old hand at it, you will still get DNFs when you least expect it. That's part of the fun of the game, and don't ever take yourself so seriously that you can't laugh at some of your experiences.

Which leads me to my second point. Always log your DNFs ... even if you might feel foolish to have not found it. DNF logs can be some of the funniest, and although I don't like to not find a cache, if it happens, I try to make the log humorous for the owner. Remember, every time you log a cache, the owner gets an email. I take great pleasure in reading the logs on my caches, either smiley, or DNF! Aside from the fact that it lets a cache owner know something might be wrong with the cache, it makes great reading, and it is a history of the activity at the cache. Also, as you get more involved in this hobby, if you can, try to write good logs for the finde too! It is really rewarding to most cache owners to know how much someone enjoyed their work. Even if it wasn't a particularly good cache, there must be something you can write about your experience in finding it.

happy hunting.

Well, I just got done logging my 7th DNF, I'm not trying to set the record or anything. My husband went with me on the three I did today. Four pairs of eyes didn't do any better.

Can someone tell me about how big a small, regular, and large cache would be? Would owners bury them, or just pile leaves or rocks on them? What are some of the common cammo tactics you've come across?

Thanks in advance people

The kids and I have found all 5 we looked for so far. That includes one that was very sneaky. The owner definitely thought that one through, and had me searching quite a bit. But I have always been a good troubleshooter, and kept thinking where it could be. Sometimes you have to think outside the box. Once you are centered on the area the GSPR says it is in, put it away and start looking with your eyes. The GPSR will only get you in the general area. And the more interference there is, such as tree cover or tall buildings, the less accurate it may be.

And let me tell you something a little funny too. I am 6'6" tall. I do all my hunts with my two kids. In one of our finds, I probably would have missed the cache had my 5 year old not been with. He easily saw under an area to where the cache was. The moral here is to make sure you use different points of view when you are having trouble. After that, I have learned to kneel down and look under things better.

Yes, caches are usually hidden well. Covered with leaves, under fallen trees, etc. Two of the caches we found today were wrapped with camo colored duct tape. The point is to make it hard to find. you definitely have to do some digging around sometimes. When you find it, and are done, make sure you re-hide it as the owner did.

Whether by chance or bad luck, you've chosen caches that offer the most challenges. Micros and bridges. Both can be very very difficult. Try this one. It's a full size ammo can, the page has lots of pictures and descriptions. Looks like a great find for an experienced cacher as well as a newbe.

I have friends who go to Mead Gardens quite often. This sounds like a nice outing for a morning. Thanks for the recommendation, Tonka_Boy. B-T-W, how big is an ammo can? :blink:

It's not just a matter of pity--I always log my DNFs.

It lets the owner know there may be a problem if several people DNF a cache. It may also help them rate a new cache if too many people can't find it. It lets them know people are still looking for the cache (some owners archive caches that don't draw many visitors). It lets others know a cache might not be as easy as the owner thought it was.

General rough sizes:

nano or pico -- about the size of a pencil eraser

micro - 35 mm film cannister, deck of cards, breathmint container or smaller

regular - about the size of a sandwhich, a baseball, or a tupperware dish

large- about the size of a loaf of bread to the size of two large showboxes or larger

Caches do tend to be a bit hidden:

Look in holes in trees, but don't forget to also check up in trees and down in the roots, too. Look under railings, on the back of metal signs, on the inside of gaurdrails, and on the underside of metal benches in urban areas. In woodsy spots, look between large rocks, behind unnatural piles of sticks, and in hollow logs.

In the deep south look in Palmetto trees (carefully), in the far north look for something that will hold a large pill bottle, in Louisville KY look for something flat and out of place that doesn't seem to be out of place or something in the poison ivy. The last part is only joking, but we have notice regional trends as we travel. :D

Edited by Neos2

When we wre new to the game we thought it was a sign of failure to log a DNF. Now we know it is just a part of the game and even something we can be proud of in a strange way. Our GC.com stats say we have 167 DNF logs and 1,744 finds, so we are at about 9.5% DNFs to finds. There are probably 10-30 DNFs that haven't been logged (bad on us). I would guess we ae pretty typical.

BTW, we found our fisrt cache on our first attempt, although it took us a while. If we went to a similar hide today we would likely walk right to it. Subsequent hunts were not always quite as fruitfull.

Hope you keep at it and improve your results. Of course the main result you should be looking for is to have fun.

The first few caches were at least 1 DNF before the find and we had 3 DNF's just recently on a very great but nasty hide :D It took us a total of almost 3 hours over a thee day period looking in a 50' area before we finally found it. We haven't had one since, but we're sure that won't last much longer.

It gets easier. We used those early hard finds to hone our Geosense plus reading about the different hides and containers people here have made, used and found has helped a lot.

It's all for fun and when you finally find that elusive cache the feeling of satisfaction is something that can't be described.

I am glad to see I am not the only one having trouble finding those pesky little caches. Several times I was ready to give up altogether. Here are my suggestions for people first starting out:

1) Use the GPS to get in the general area and then put it away. When I first started out, I would positively walks in circles staring at the screen trying to zero in exactly on the location. Depending on who and how the point was logged, the location you get could be as much as 30' - 40' feet off. When I have marked points on my unit (a top of the line GPS 60 CSX) it indicates a margin of error in the 15'-20' range.

2) Carefully read (and print out) the internet information before going out.

3) Look for larger cache containers. They are generally a little easier to find and usually have more "goodies" in them. The size of the cache is indicated on each listing.

4) Pay attention to the "last found" information on the internet listing. If the cache hasn't been found in the last week or so, I would suggest seeking out a different one.

5) For people starting out, I would strongly advise taking the hints for every search. When you click "decrypt" you generally get a good hint which comes in pretty handy. When you get a few finds under your belt, use the hints only when you need them.

6) Keep in mind that the containers are hidden so that muggles (people that don't play) don't find them by mistake. They are rarely in plain view. Many are camouflaged with special tape, covered with leaves, or hidden in a hollow tree, etc. When you lock on the position try to think in terms of where you would hide something.

7) Make sure you punch the coordinates into your GPS correctly. I punched mine in wrong and searched for a good long time before I thought to double check. It is also important that you are entering the coordinates in the same format as the format you were provided. There are multiple formats and using the wrong format will put you in the wrong place.

8) Read the logs by people that have found it in the past. They sometimes will provide additional hints.

9) Pay attention to the stats for the cache site. If it shows 100 finds and 0 did not finds, you can't go wrong looking for that one.

10) Pay attention to the difficulty rating. A high rating is not recommended for newcomers.

I hope this helps. Once you find a few, you will start to think like a geo-cachers and develop a sixth sense of where to look. I drove up on one the other day and new where it would be before I even got out of the car.

Happy hunting!

Whether by chance or bad luck, you've chosen caches that offer the most challenges. Micros and bridges. Both can be very very difficult. Try this one. It's a full size ammo can, the page has lots of pictures and descriptions. Looks like a great find for an experienced cacher as well as a newbe.

I tried this one yesterday, Tonka_Boy with no luck. I realize my GPSr was showing a margin of error of 21' but the coordinates were showing an area of scrub, palmetto trees and such. It's hard to imagine the owner meant for cachers to go in there!

I am a bit squimish about spiders and snakes, but my friend wasn't, even in flip-flops. She was looking quite hard and even came out of there saying that this was fun. I'll have to bring her along on more outings. ;-)

I am glad to see I am not the only one having trouble finding those pesky little caches. Several times I was ready to give up altogether. Here are my suggestions for people first starting out:

1) Use the GPS to get in the general area and then put it away. When I first started out, I would positively walks in circles staring at the screen trying to zero in exactly on the location. Depending on who and how the point was logged, the location you get could be as much as 30' - 40' feet off. When I have marked points on my unit (a top of the line GPS 60 CSX) it indicates a margin of error in the 15'-20' range.

2) Carefully read (and print out) the internet information before going out.

3) Look for larger cache containers. They are generally a little easier to find and usually have more "goodies" in them. The size of the cache is indicated on each listing.

4) Pay attention to the "last found" information on the internet listing. If the cache hasn't been found in the last week or so, I would suggest seeking out a different one.

5) For people starting out, I would strongly advise taking the hints for every search. When you click "decrypt" you generally get a good hint which comes in pretty handy. When you get a few finds under your belt, use the hints only when you need them.

6) Keep in mind that the containers are hidden so that muggles (people that don't play) don't find them by mistake. They are rarely in plain view. Many are camouflaged with special tape, covered with leaves, or hidden in a hollow tree, etc. When you lock on the position try to think in terms of where you would hide something.

7) Make sure you punch the coordinates into your GPS correctly. I punched mine in wrong and searched for a good long time before I thought to double check. It is also important that you are entering the coordinates in the same format as the format you were provided. There are multiple formats and using the wrong format will put you in the wrong place.

8) Read the logs by people that have found it in the past. They sometimes will provide additional hints.

9) Pay attention to the stats for the cache site. If it shows 100 finds and 0 did not finds, you can't go wrong looking for that one.

10) Pay attention to the difficulty rating. A high rating is not recommended for newcomers.

I hope this helps. Once you find a few, you will start to think like a geo-cachers and develop a sixth sense of where to look. I drove up on one the other day and new where it would be before I even got out of the car.

Happy hunting!

Right now I'm finding that the print-outs actually work great for me. I put together a shoulder slung caching bag that helps me keep my hands free. It has the print-outs, some swag, gloves, and cold water (yesterday I was caching in 86 degree heat).

I found the last found date and last log date to be helpful. One cache wasn't logged during the whole month of April. The owner checked on it and found it was stolen. Glad I didn't spend too much time on it.

Thanks for your reply.

It's not just a matter of pity--I always log my DNFs.

It lets the owner know there may be a problem if several people DNF a cache. It may also help them rate a new cache if too many people can't find it. It lets them know people are still looking for the cache (some owners archive caches that don't draw many visitors). It lets others know a cache might not be as easy as the owner thought it was.

General rough sizes:

nano or pico -- about the size of a pencil eraser

micro - 35 mm film cannister, deck of cards, breathmint container or smaller

regular - about the size of a sandwhich, a baseball, or a tupperware dish

large- about the size of a loaf of bread to the size of two large showboxes or larger

Caches do tend to be a bit hidden:

Look in holes in trees, but don't forget to also check up in trees and down in the roots, too. Look under railings, on the back of metal signs, on the inside of gaurdrails, and on the underside of metal benches in urban areas. In woodsy spots, look between large rocks, behind unnatural piles of sticks, and in hollow logs.

In the deep south look in Palmetto trees (carefully), in the far north look for something that will hold a large pill bottle, in Louisville KY look for something flat and out of place that doesn't seem to be out of place or something in the poison ivy. The last part is only joking, but we have notice regional trends as we travel. :)

The general sizes you've listed will come in handy. I might keep a cheat sheet of it in my manual. And yes, though I haven't actually looked in one, palmetto trees seemed quite abundant in at least two caches I was seeking. I'm more concerned about those nasty bugs they harbor than getting hurt by one. :lol:

Many caches are hidden in bushes etc. I had one cache that stated it was hidden in a drain behind a black widows web, so you can't be squemish. Just take the proper precautions. Take some leather gloves and a poking stick. If you continue to have problems contact a local cacher and see if there is someone who whill take you under their wing and go with you to show you the ropes. That is how I got started and it made all the difference in the world.

Before we got our GPS unit we went out to one particular cache a couple of times with no luck finding it but had fun trying. I did log my visits. Once my GPS showed up, a present from my Wife, I was determined to make that cache my first find. We headed back out and found it. Now I'm hooked.

Now you have to let us know when you do find your first one, I know am I curious now when you will break through get a success.

Some other things to check, since you have had a string of bad luck on your first finds I would check a few things.

First, are you for sure entering the corrdinates into your GPS in the correct format, is your GPS setup correctly and working? There are several differnet cordinate formats, and many GPS units have settings to toggle between them. Make sure your using the correct format that matches the website.

The way I would check this: You can see on the geocaching website and on google maps or google earth, the map with the cache location marked. You can print out this map, with the cache marked on it. For some of the easiest ones a person really does not even need to bring with the GPS, the map alone often can be enough to show you the cache location. Now I am not suggesting to ditch the GPS, some caches will be flat out impossible to find by looking at the map alone, and even the easy ones using the GPS will make it so much easier. But the point here is, when using the GPS you should notice that you are on the "exact" spot shown on the map. If your GPS is leading you to a place that does NOT match where the map shows, something is wrong. I would definately print out the maps to bring with and verify that they match your GPS.

Secondly, quite regularly my GPS reads 15' to 20' different then the posted cordinates, sometimes up to 30' or 40' different. Also it is not all that uncommon for the GPS unit to jump around a little bit at the site. Now it says 20 feet to the right, oh wait, now it says 10' to the left, opps, now back to the right. So I often have to kind of determine a perimeter to search within. Easy ones have an obvious spot, maybe my perimeter is in a city park and there is a mowed grass surrounding a single tree, so it is kind of obvious the cache has to be on or in that tree. Harder ones out in wooded area, that perimeter might contain several trees, logs, etc. So there could be a lot of hiding places to search through.

Me and my Daughter where pretty lucky on our first cache and I had picked one with real good hints, the next four where all DNF's. We are still pretty new to this but are finds are getting easier, Our problem now is stealth, seems the steathier we try to be the more it feels like evryone is watching.

I also log every DNF, and if I get to a cache and there are to many muugles around or any visible problems that might interfere with the hunt, I post a note that I was near the cache but did not persue it.

As long as you are having fun dont worry about the DNF's Its just part of the game, and as you get better you go back and change that DNF to a smiley.

We are pretty new at this too, we had four DNF's over the weekend and I know I prefer to look for larger cache's. It IS getting easier than it was at first though. I have come to dislike the word geosense especially when it is used as a hint "use your geosense" but I am beginning to realize what it means :lol:

As far as logging them I sure can tell you it makes me feel better to read that someone else had trouble too! And we have gone back and found ones we didn't think we could and that is a good feeling!

Good Luck!

Many caches are hidden in bushes etc. I had one cache that stated it was hidden in a drain behind a black widows web, so you can't be squemish. Just take the proper precautions. Take some leather gloves and a poking stick. If you continue to have problems contact a local cacher and see if there is someone who whill take you under their wing and go with you to show you the ropes. That is how I got started and it made all the difference in the world.

Today I went back to find one cache I looked for the other day. This time I had a Google Earth map with coordinates with me. Both the map and GPSr pointed me to same spot, except my GPS was telling me to move a couple of fractional degrees West into the building, which would have been okay except that there was no door.

The spot was around a couple of very large metal boxes against the wall (one said Transformer something), plus a meter of some kind. I was about to start feeling behind the boxes when I looked and saw a bunch of hornets and nests hanging all over the back of the boxes. So in this case, a poking stick was just about the worse thing I'd want to use.

And that is a big problem down here, noboby wants to sticking their hands or sticks into a hornets or wasps nest. Well, I have, twice. Besides the red hot, burning, piecing pain shooting all the way up my arm, it hurt like hell! They're all over the place down here, at least around my house.

Well, as you might have guessed, today was a no go. I was hoping to come back here hollering and hooting, but this was not to be. I'll keep trying!

Edited by gpsTrian

Today I went back to find one cache I looked for the other day. This time I had a Google Earth map with coordinates with me. Both the map and GPSr pointed me to same spot, except my GPS was telling me to move a couple of fractional degrees West into the building, which would have been okay except that there was no door.

The spot was around a couple of very large metal boxes against the wall (one said Transformer something), plus a meter of some kind. I was about to start feeling behind the boxes when I looked and saw a bunch of hornets and nests hanging all over the back of the boxes. So in this case, a poking stick was just about the worse thing I'd want to use.

I carry a flashlight and a mirror with me when I cache. I also carry a telescoping magentic tool and an automotive grabbing tool. (Finf these in a good automotive store).

I use the mirror to peer into dark places and around corners without poking my hand there. The flashlight can be used to reflect light onto the mirror to light up dark spaces too. The magnetic tool is strong enough to retrieve magnetic caches that are far down into pipes, etc (and it's been useful a few times for dropped caches!) and the grabber does a fantastic job of grabbing those hard to reach caches. (Make sure you get the kind that you push on the end to make it open up--the kind you pinch together to get them to open never work as well).

I'm glad to hear the map and gps are getting you to the right spot--sounds like you have it set correctly, then. Now you have to resist the urge to think the gps will get you exactly to the cache. Think more in terms of withing 30 feet. Some people will say further, and that might be true if the cache is close to a building --because of signal bounce--but 95% of the caches I've found were within 20 feet of the posted coords.

I still think you ought to try GCKZV8

It's been found recently--and by some new cachers--and about now you could use a win.

Another one not too far away that promises to be easy is GC15EJN

It was also found lately by new cachers, who loved it.

Looking at the cache page for the one you revisited, I'd say you were looking in the right spot-- but not low enough perhaps--when you spotted the hornets & their nests. I don't play with those guys, either. They don't play well with others. If you are just determined to get that cache though... well maybe if you get a chilly evening you might try it while they are sluggish? Use a mirror to spot the cache so you don't have to poke around with your fingers.

I am so supporting you. I wish I could drive down to run out and do some caches with you. I just know that once you get the feel for it, you'll breeze through the next few!

I carry a flashlight and a mirror with me when I cache. I also carry a telescoping magentic tool and an automotive grabbing tool. (Finf these in a good automotive store).

I use the mirror to peer into dark places and around corners without poking my hand there. The flashlight can be used to reflect light onto the mirror to light up dark spaces too. The magnetic tool is strong enough to retrieve magnetic caches that are far down into pipes, etc (and it's been useful a few times for dropped caches!) and the grabber does a fantastic job of grabbing those hard to reach caches. (Make sure you get the kind that you push on the end to make it open up--the kind you pinch together to get them to open never work as well).

I'm glad to hear the map and gps are getting you to the right spot--sounds like you have it set correctly, then. Now you have to resist the urge to think the gps will get you exactly to the cache. Think more in terms of withing 30 feet. Some people will say further, and that might be true if the cache is close to a building --because of signal bounce--but 95% of the caches I've found were within 20 feet of the posted coords.

I love your tools idea. Pretty soon I'll be needing a larger caching bag. :P

I still think you ought to try GCKZV8

It's been found recently--and by some new cachers--and about now you could use a win.

Another one not too far away that promises to be easy is GC15EJN

It was also found lately by new cachers, who loved it.

Looking at the cache page for the one you revisited, I'd say you were looking in the right spot-- but not low enough perhaps--when you spotted the hornets & their nests. I don't play with those guys, either. They don't play well with others. If you are just determined to get that cache though... well maybe if you get a chilly evening you might try it while they are sluggish? Use a mirror to spot the cache so you don't have to poke around with your fingers.

I am so supporting you. I wish I could drive down to run out and do some caches with you. I just know that once you get the feel for it, you'll breeze through the next few!

I think I can hit both of these caches using a different route home from work. They sound like good ones. Especially when they say good for new geocachers or don't need to leave the sidewalk. :P

Thank You for your support, Neos2. And everyone else who's taken the time to reply, too!

Good for you! Congratulations!!

I got lucky when I started caching an found 22 before having a DNF. But I played it safe and my first ever cache was a virtual. For the traditionals, I did not give up and spent a lot of time in some cases to make the find. I was about to give up on my second traditional cache but made the find after one last attempt before moving on.

Edited by minnesotabrad

I spent hours, and I do mean hours, on a couple of caches at first, not finding them. I'm still new at 52 caches, believe me. What I am finding is that the more I find, the more I look at things differently. Also, I'm a perfectionist (which is unfortunate, because I'm far from perfect) and was very upset with myself when I couldn't get the hang of caching right away. Don't give up! The rush you'll feel when you find a few will be worth the wait.

Edited by drshmuz

I'll take everyone's advise to put down the GPS at ground zero.

Don't try to get to ground zero before putting down your GPS. As you are approaching the cache location, even as far away as 100' start looking for likely spots the distance indicated by your GPS in the direction it's telling you to go. If you've read over the listing for the cache carefully (which you should do) the title or description might give you an indication of what you're looking for. For example, if you're walking down a bike trail and your GPS is telling you that the cache is 100' away off to the right of the trail, and you see a large tree about 100' away head directly for it (or take the best path too it) and start your search. I've spotted cache hide locations from 200' away because it was just really obvious from the cache description that it was the most likely spot in the area where the cache might be hidden.