What's the best way to get FTF?

A true FTF hound is dedicated to the task. Fifty mile drives for caches published at midnight are no problem. Pushing, ramming with vehicles, and throwing rocks are possible if other people are encountered at GZ during a race for FTF.

Just kidding (sort of).

Really, assuming you sign up for instant notifications and check the web site often, it's all about luck and timing. I'm in an area with two reviewers. One reviewer typically publishes in the morning (between 7-10 AM). I've NEVER claimed a FTF on one of his caches because I'm usually at work and there are a couple of hard-core FTF hounds that can hunt in the mornings. The other reviewer typically publishes in the afternoon (3-6PM). If I notice the new cache, and it's not too far out of my way home, I've got a fair shot at claiming FTF.

Another thing that might help is to set up a PQ for all caches that are "Not Found" centered where you live (or work). You don't have to run it, just preview it occasionally.

Find a place where you think a geocache should be placed, then go hide, watch it and wait the spot until someone places a geocache there. Once they plant one, go find it.

It might take some time but then you will have a FTF

That's funny! :)

I also do what Renegade Knight suggested. Set up an email notice for all new caches. They'll pop up in your e-mail as soon as they are published. Just set the distance radius to something reasonable.

Have fun!

Edited by steve p

The new cache notification emails originate from the server in Seattle. Therefore, the closer you live to Seattle the better chance you have of getting the email first and being first to find on the cache.

Alternatively, you can try sitting closer to your monitor.

Personally I prefer to use large caliber motivation tips on the a few of local FTF hounds. The smaller calibers just tend to piss 'em off, and not knock 'em down. Of course you need to aim low. You want them to hobble back to others and warn them, otherwise it's not as effective.

I've gotten a fair percentage of mine by being willing and able to go out and hike for them. Check around, there may be some that haven't been found that have been out there for a while. Not all caches are found same or next day.

Edited by southpawaz

I've found a few FTF's by going after the more adventurous ones. I take a drive up to the mountains and go after ones that require a hike into the forest and plan my route with a topo map. Not only are these more challenging, but more satisfying and fun to find than the drive-bys in the cities.

While I'm not as rabid as some of the above... :D I do take the occational jaunt out to find a new cache, and possibly a FTF, with the following criteria..

#1, Local. If it's more than 15 miles away, don't even bother.

#2, Check the website for recently published caches, and see how close they are. (See #1)

#3, Get your butt out there! :) You can't be a FTF, if you stay inside on the computer..

All joking aside.. I only have 3 FTF's to my name.. It's more of the finding, and getting out there that's the worth, in my book. Also, who knows, If you're out there the same time someone else is, trying to find the same cache, All the better! We're not a totally lonely bunch of geeks seeking hidden treasure. I've met quite a few fellow cachers while out in the field. I'd love to have a fellow partner in crime, instead of solo caching. It'd make the hunt more enjoyable, and less maddening when it turns into a DNF. (because if you & they didn't find it, It's not just because you didn't find it.. It's that well hidden, or it's been muggled before both of you arrived!)

Stephen (gelfling6)

Edited by gelfling6

The new cache notification emails originate from the server in Seattle. Therefore, the closer you live to Seattle the better chance you have of getting the email first and being first to find on the cache.

Alternatively, you can try sitting closer to your monitor.

Splendid! I only live three miles away from the Lily Pad :blink:

As a college student, I often have to go to class right after new caches are published. When a new cache comes out, I like to send an email to the cachers nearby and politley ask them to hold off so I can get it first after class. I always make sure to say please and thank you, but I was never good at the whole sharing thing... Next semester, I made sure to schedule my classes around my reviewers publishing times...

Was just going to say 'retire' but was beaten to it!

Did someone say check the newest in pages regularly?

Cache in the rain .....nearly all our FTF's have been found during or after a rain fall! some urban myth going round about going wrinkley if you get wet!

our most recent FTF was on the day of the teachers strike....only happens once every 20 yrs though but we had the day off instead of going to school and work and spotted a cache come up the night before....still had to take the boys school so were on the trail early!

happy hunting

minxyy and princessannie

Was just going to say 'retire' but was beaten to it!

Did someone say check the newest in pages regularly?

Cache in the rain .....nearly all our FTF's have been found during or after a rain fall! some urban myth going round about going wrinkley if you get wet!

our most recent FTF was on the day of the teachers strike....only happens once every 20 yrs though but we had the day off instead of going to school and work and spotted a cache come up the night before....still had to take the boys school so were on the trail early!

happy hunting

minxyy and princessannie

I've only gotten one FTF since I've started. I'm happy just having that one. GC1ACCJ I was pretty lucky getting it though. We took a weekend trip to the beach so I took the GPS with me and stopped to find it on our way home. I figured it would have been found after several days of being out but it wasn't. My advice is to just sign up as a premium member and get the email that tells you about new caches. I'd only go with a resonable distance. You really don't want to drive 50 miles just to find out somebody already grabbed it and didn't log it yet.

As a premium member you can request an email notice for new caches. Get the email, jump on the cache.

You can supliment by checking the 'nearest caches' 30 times a day and get notice a bit faster the email. Then jump on it.

Do as RK suggests above, then get there first. Good luck.

Yes the number 1 answer has to be "retire". I'm not really into FTF's but I've been getting a few since I retired. From my limited experience....

1. Retire

2. Know your reviewers schedule.

3. Go early in the morning.. Watching a sunrise from the site of a FTF is a great reward.

4. Don't be afraid of the dark or rain.

5. Be especially alert for mid week releases. (Sort of relates back to number 1. :P

I've found a few FTF's by going after the more adventurous ones. I take a drive up to the mountains and go after ones that require a hike into the forest and plan my route with a topo map. Not only are these more challenging, but more satisfying and fun to find than the drive-bys in the cities.

An example: Tucson has some extremely competitive FTFers. It's not uncommon for a new cache to be found within minutes of publication, and for the logs to reflect that two or three teams converged on it almost simultaneously. So how did this cache, just a few miles outside Tucson, remain unfound for almost a month? It required a hike. :P

If you're fit and willing, you can leave the park-n-grab FTFs to the usual suspects and have the tougher ones all to yourself.

I saw the title of this thread and thought to myself; "self this thread looks like it is rife with opportunities for cachers to be smartarses ;)", so I came in to look and I was not disappointed, lol. Thanks for the good laugh as usual.

Oh ya, good luck to the poster on getting a FTF :o

I've found a few FTF's by going after the more adventurous ones. < snip- because I don't live near mountains> go after ones that require a hike into the forest <more snip>. Not only are these more challenging, but more satisfying and fun to find than the drive-bys in the cities.

I concur with this. Most of my FTFs are done this way. The competition is very sparse on caches that require a little "work" and as a BIG PLUS, they are a lot more fun even if you come in second.

I used to use the pager notifications but found them to be annoying because they would page me at all hours and times that I could not go anyway.

I have found it works better for me to simply have a prepared PQ of the virgin caches (click "not found" check-box and whatever other features interest you such as size and difficulty) within 150 miles and when I have time to go after one, i click the preview icon and see what's out there.

That way, i get to go on MY time-table and am not a "slave" to the race.

Yep, as others have said, hike. I have six FTFs, and the median time-to-first-find on these caches was around two weeks. And this is in the geocaching hotbed of SoCal. One was in a lovely but not-very-popular park and the hider accidentally transposed the last two digits of the latitude, which turned it into a puzzle which I was the first to solve. The other five require strenuous hikes (or combination bike/hikes) of roughly three hours RT minimum -- these five are all in the most remote part of the Santa Monica Mountains. The terrain ratings were between 2.5 and 3.5, and a couple of them are harder than any 4.0 I've done.

Edward

You dont need to be retired, you dont need to get up at o-dark-30, and you dont need to be a nut. I've found a pretty good system that actually relies more on being patient and prepared.

It is not always the best time to go for an FTF, so if you have something else you need to do, go do that, and you can snag an FTF when the time is right.

I get the notifications sent to a text message address that macarades as an email address. The message get cut at 255 characters, but it's enough to get me the cache number. To get coords I still have to go to the site website, but just this step alone gets me a 5 minute jump on a friend who gets emails to a crackberry.

If it's a good time, and I'm able to make a go for it, then I hit the site, pull the numbers, and I'm out the door 3 minutes before my friend even gets his email.

set your notification area wisely. I use a 20 mile area, which in a dense area like San Diego, I get hits every day.

Have your gear packed and ready to go. my stuff is in a backpack ready to go. The GPSr sits attached to the computer so I can push the numbers right into it, unplug it, grab my bag and go.

Know your area. I'm familiar enough with the area that one look at the map and I know generally where I need to go, and when I get 'close' then I can use the GPS to zero out.

Move swiftly, but safely. A traffic accident is a good way to ruin an ftf attempt.

Just enjoy the hunt. If someone makes it there before you, so be it. If you follow this system, that guy is going to be you more times than not. You may also find yourself meeting some of the FTF hounds if you make the find, and then hang around for a few minutes till they all come sliding in late! ;)

The clan and I are fairly new to caching and we would like to get a first to find. What is the best way to discover a cache first? Do you create a special type of pocket querie? Do you look online 30 times a day? Any advice would be appreciated.

Pizza.

Delivered hot once a month to your Reviewer's doorstep.

Guaranteed to get you notified first. ;)

But don't tell anyone.

Brush up on your puzzle skills. Mystery caches require a little more work but they often have a longer time in the wild before they are found.

Similarly, get a kayak.

Caches which require access by boat might sit around for weeks before someone finds them. I found a boat only accessbile cache last summer (that also was a multi level puzzle cache) the evening that it was published. It was about 30 miles from home so after solving the puzzle I drove up for it after work and got FTF. It wasn't found again for over a month and still only has three finds on it.

I typed up a few paragraphs on the matter and saved it somewhere else. I have 434 FTFs at the moment and, if you want, I'll go ahead and post how I do it, the (many) rules that govern my play, and the psychological impact it can have on others in the area.

In short, the more you FTF, the less competition you have and the less you're liked. I prefer being fair and leaving more caches than I FTF. I also spend 80% of all my free time caching.

I typed up a few paragraphs on the matter and saved it somewhere else. I have 434 FTFs at the moment and, if you want, I'll go ahead and post how I do it, the (many) rules that govern my play, and the psychological impact it can have on others in the area.

In short, the more you FTF, the less competition you have and the less you're liked. I prefer being fair and leaving more caches than I FTF. I also spend 80% of all my free time caching.

I think that's true. In my area there's two guys that most of the FTFs and most of the veteran cachers don't try to beat them anymore. Its just not worth it.

I've gotten a fair percentage of mine by being willing and able to go out and hike for them. Check around, there may be some that haven't been found that have been out there for a while. Not all caches are found same or next day.

Agreed. I've got 10 of such caches available.

It's all a matter of timing. If you want to have a life that is. I prefer to not camp out in front of my computer waiting for that tone that says I have a new message. Simply get to know when the publishers in your area tend to publish caches, check your e-mail, and when the cache is published, enter the coordinates and run out the door and drive like a maniac! Recently I got to a cache 27 minutes after it was published and lost out for an FTF by 12 minutes, but I have managed to get 15 FTF's this way without sacrificing my quality of life.

Happy caching!

This question seems to fit this subject. My instant notification emails always arrive late. Example, cacher recieved notification and found cache before 5:00 PM yesterday. My notification was time stamped 3:00 this morning. I've had them arrive 24 hours late. Thoughts?

Look for something greater than a 1/1... I like reading posts about lamp post FTF braggers, or any other park and grab for that matter.

I don't keep track of my FTF's, but do remember one that went 6 months before being discovered.

Key to being FTF... go long and work for it

There's a park and grab a few miles from me that has been up for a couple of weeks now unfound. I'm thinking about it...

Obviously it's not this way everywhere, but still i believe there ARE caches that even FTF hounds are in no hurry to find.

Around here, if a cache is posted as a mile or more hike, it is almost assured to wait for at least ONE weekend to pass b4 ftf.