Geocoins and Cameras

tsunrisebey

Need some advise or suggestions here please: (looking at digital cameras)

Currently I have a Canon Power Shot A40 which is 2MP, 3x, I've had it for quite a few years now and at graduation I am being gifted some money towards a new camera.

My current camera takes really bad pictures of coins (they get blurry even on macro mode if I get too close and not enough detail if I stand back and use the zoom) so I am looking for something specifically in mind that would take good pictures of geocoins.

Let me clarify some things here, I'm not a big camera tech person so please use generic terms. I do not plan on using this camera to become a photographer. I want something that does a really good all-around job of pictures but with the thought of close up of geocoins and possibly taking good small clips of video of geocoins :)

I am looking at no more than let's say $350 but $200 to $300 is more the target range.

Also if your camera takes good pictures of coins but requires some additional work on your part like setting up a background and lighting, please include that with your info. so I know that when I go looking at cameras. Please feel free to post an example of your cameras work to show how well a geocoin looks after taking a close-up shot. This may help me in making a decision.

I have started looking already and one suggestion given me was the Canon S100 or SZ100 (one of those, can't remember for sure).

There was the Compass Rose cointest last year with some really great close-up shots, did anyone use a digital camera for those?

Thanks for the help :)

Edited by tsunrisebey

We use a Digital SLR and a Compact.

Obviously the SLR is over the price range, but we also have two SMALLER compact cameras that take nice macro photos.

We have a Fuji Finepix Z10 7MP and a Casio Exilim ex-Z1080 10MP

Both were under $150 (Check online for BARGAIN prices on these two cameras) Both also take the new SDHC Format - which is something to consider.

Will post sample photos soon!

Obviously the SLR is over the price range, but we also have two SMALLER compact cameras that take nice macro photos.

Both were under $150 (Check online for BARGAIN prices on these two cameras) Both also take the new SDHC Format - which is something to consider.

I don't know what SDHC format is? Can you give me a quick explanation :)

Pete: Ok, tripod noted.

I use an Olympus C740 ultra zoom. It is an older camera with 3.2 mp but I think it takes great pictures. It has a 10x optical zoom which is why I bought it. I also thought it took better pictures than my hp that was a 5.0mp camera.

For coins I use it on the supra macro mode and as TMA said you HAVE to use a tripod. I bought a small one that is about 1 foot tall and it works great. I vary the distance by piling up dvds to get the coin closer and usually a piece of black foam for the background LOL I know that some people take the coin pictures outside for the natural light but I haven't had much luck with that so I play around with the lights. Here are some examples.

dragonspinner.jpg

RedwingDave.jpg

a bit of a shadow in this one though

RainforestJewel.jpg

I've used a Canon A95 for a few years now and just recently picked up a Canon PowerShot SD1000 since I wanted something a bit more compact. I've used both to take macro photos of coins and they come out fine. I usually take 3-4 photos of the same shot, then pick the clearest one.

I don't know what SDHC format is? Can you give me a quick explanation :)

Pete: Ok, tripod noted.

SDHC is basically is a high capacity sd card. It has the same form factor-size and shape of a regular sd card but there are some compatibility issues with it. It requires an sdhc capable device with the firmware to read it which many older cameras don't have.

I've used a Canon A95 for a few years now and just recently picked up a Canon PowerShot SD1000 since I wanted something a bit more compact. I've used both to take macro photos of coins and they come out fine. I usually take 3-4 photos of the same shot, then pick the clearest one.

You had some great shots in the CR cointest, was it the A95 you used for that

PS: Thanks LB4T for the info.

I've seen some tripods that are purrrfect for macro shooting. They're only about the height of a pen so they can fit comfortably in a typical swag bag (fanny pack). Very cheap too.

But the key to sharp close ups and macros is good light. Weak light means longer exposure and need for a tripod.

I love my Olympus Stylus 770. It's fits in my shirt pocket and does it all. But best of all I can see and read the insignia for the mode selector. My older Canon Powershot had a selector wheel on the top that without my reading glasses made taking a pic a shot in the dark. If you want to take that Canon out for a spin in a couple of weeks at GW6 email me and I'll bring it. If you like it we can arrange a trade.

Edit: Older Canon is a PowerShot A520 with 4MP, 3X zoom + 4X digital zoom. And I only now discovered it's macro function.... here are some pics I took off the kitchen counter this morning while having coffee. They're not bad given that no effort was made to control/improve the light.

IMG_0079.jpg Shot through the flip and plastic shipping sleeve... tracking# blurred in PhotoShop.

IMG_0078.jpg Poor lighting means you get to see the camera and pieces of the photographer too.

IMG_0071.jpg Used Photoshop to adjust colour level.

Edited by Droo

You want a quality lense. Cheap way to gage quality. More available optical zoom (not digital zoom) the better the lense for your purpose.

Image stabilization.

A close up mode. A lot of people who like to take pictures of flowers (a flower is usually the symbol for that mode on the camera) have the same problems that people taking photo's of coins have.

A decent zoom can help make up for an inability to get close enough.

7 megapixels or so. Not too many though. A high quality image lets you crop your photo and still have detail on the coins. Too many megapixels and the image quality actually suffers. I read that. Never been able to afford the SLR cameras that would let me tell it for a fact.

These things combine or compensate for each other. That's in generic terms since I'm not a photo expert.

My daughters camera does a better job than my own camera.

Oh and read the manual for whatever camera you get. It helps.

My personal deal breaker on a camera. It has to take AA batteries. I want to be able to take photo's and replace the batteries if they die no matter where I'm at. I can charge my own NiMh batteries. Propriatry batteries don't let me do this.

Edited by Renegade Knight

My personal deal breaker on a camera. It has to take AA batteries. I want to be able to take photo's and replace the batteries if they die no matter where I'm at. I can charge my own NiMh batteries. Propriatry batteries don't let me do this.

EXCELLENT point about the batteries!!! AA batteries all the way--you need to be able to replace them on the fly.

I find it helps when taking pictures of coins to be oustide ...best seems to be a partly cloudy day. Just where it's nice and bright. Then with the tripod experiment with and without the flash even if you are outside.

Sometimes we even just use our scanner and scan the coin.

I find it helps when taking pictures of coins to be oustide ...best seems to be a partly cloudy day. Just where it's nice and bright. Then with the tripod experiment with and without the flash even if you are outside.

Sometimes we even just use our scanner and scan the coin.

I definately have to agree with taking the pictures outside. We use a Sony Cyber-shot on the macro setting, and it does a nice job.

If you already have a bunch of memory cards/sticks/whatever, and want to use them (instead of buying new - or want to use them for back-ups if you take a lot of pictures), make sure that the new camera is compatible with the old cards. When we bought a new camera, we had to buy all new memory cards...didn't count on that.

You had some great shots in the CR cointest, was it the A95 you used for that

PS: Thanks LB4T for the info.

Yep, it was the A95. I bought the SD1000 because I got tired of taking the A95 in and out of my backpack to take pictures while geocaching/hiking. The SD1000's so light, I can put it in my pocket and it doesn't even feel like it's there. It has a rechargeable battery that lasts all day and a very small charger (smaller than the camera itself). So the total weight of camera/batteries/charger has gone way down which is a good thing when traveling.

Another thing with taking photos inside, make sure the camera is on the correct light settings. So if you're under regular lighting, switch it to tungsten mode and if you're under fluorescent lighting, there's another mode for that.

I use this for my coin shots and it's within the $200-300 price range.

It works really well...

Kodak Z612

Kodak-Z612-main.jpg

My camera is very similar to this one, and takes great shots! I usually take my coin pictures in a light box that I built.

It also takes great outdoor pics. Although it is a alot bigger than my boyfriends camera, I have found it to be much more forgiving of a shakey hand! LOL - It also has 10x optical zoom. So I can get a great close up of those critters without getting too close!

I use the CRV3 batteries for it.

I just have a Kodak Easy Share camera. I hook it up to a tripod, twist the knob thingy to SCN and press the buttons to put in on Text mode (made for taking pictures of documents). I wait until the time when the sun shines down on the window in my computer room to take the pictures. Place the coin on a piece of white cardstock on top of a storage bin I have. Position the tripod near the edge of the bin and angle the camera and take the pic. They turn out fairly well. Nothing blurry. I used to get blurry pictures all the time until I found the Text mode.. hehe

Hey Tsun, I'd be happy to save you a BUNCH of trouble and expense of a camera. Just send me one of each coin, I'll photograph them to your heart's content and email you the results. Won't cost you a dime. (I'll even pay the postage :) )

hey, I'm serious :):D

another option is a flatbed scanner. I use an Epson Perfection 4990. The results are amazing. You don't have to worry about lighting. Just lay down the coins (like 20 or more at a time), push the button, and WHAM... you've got incredible high-def images.

It's less than $150 at Amazon.com and can do great job scanning photos, negatives, etc.

have fun. :D

I'll give you the best advice I ever got for coin photos:

TRIPOD :D

My Canon Powershot used to be blurry up close, and faded far away. But man, with a $25 tripod, that thing is so still it makes pictures actually work.

Other than that, well, I'm spent . . .

TMA

Same here... although not for coins, has made a world of difference when taking macros with my Canon A570IS. Got me a hot pink Gorillapod that never fails to raise an eyebrow or two when out on the trail.

another option is a flatbed scanner. I use an Epson Perfection 4990. The results are amazing. You don't have to worry about lighting. Just lay down the coins (like 20 or more at a time), push the button, and WHAM... you've got incredible high-def images.

Don't the shiny finishes just turn up black? It's the same problem I have with flash and direct sunlight.

hey steph,

i have used canons forever so my first choice when looking for a new point and shoot camera was to look at the canon elph line. my regular dslr is just "too" much to take caching.

on amazon.com. this photog wrote a great review looking at the various elph cameras. check it out.

http://tinyurl.com/5ychol

a small tripod is your best bet to increasing the sharpness of your pics.

lara

I mostly use a scanner for making images of coins, on the whole they come out very well, but I too have found a problem with the shiny coins, most notably shiny nickel finishes tend to come out blackened. But for others it is great. If I do use a camera, I find natural daylight the best and a macro setting and tripod, but it's a huge fiddle to set up. The scanner is much easier, open it up, pop in the coin, scan, turn and repeat, job done and it doesn't matter what time of the day it is either :D

Hey Steph:

I don't know if you've figured out your camera deal and we probably won't hear from you for several days, but I agree with everyone who advised the use of a tripod for macro work. Also, using the timer on the camera will help further in conjunction with the tripod. I picked up some under-the-kitchen cabinet lights from the local Home Depot (they look like silver hockey pucks and came in sets of three for about $45) and mounted them inside a simple cardboard box (two close together and one overhead as the box stood on its side) with some simple twist ties. I fabricated a circuit board with fancy dimmer switches, but frankly, that turned out to be a waste of time as I pretty much used them full blast anyway.

So, inside this "light box", I placed a heavy object to prop a piece of black foam against and a coin standing upright against the foam and voila, instant Hollywood! Oh, and did I mention I used a tripod? in fairness, I also used a Kodak Z7590 camera that priced out around $300 two years ago. On this camera, there are threads that you can mount a short (about 2" long) black tube that you then screw an extra macro lense onto (this macro lense is basically a magnifying glass that costs about $25). The camera also takes digital movies.

I did some photoshop work to correct for my exposure mistakes ( I always shoot in full manual mode), but the camera shoots pretty well using the default exposure modes and it's only that I'm anal that I shoot manual. Anyway, here's some pics I used for Ebay stuff. Did I mention I used a tripod and the camera's timer?

b9ee_1.JPG

2d70_1.JPG

4c6f_1.JPG

741b_1.JPG

f84d_1.JPG

c7fe_1.JPG

c8f5_1.JPG

If you (or anyone else that's reading this) is interested in more info, feel free to email, PM, stop by the house or whatever. I'm glad to help. I dearly love these geocoins that have become my naughty little mistress, but photography is my true soul mate :rolleyes: