How would you rate the cache types

Hi

I would ask this over on the NZ forum but don't want any of them asking difficult questions I'm ready to answer yet over there. Just to say that it is for a cache, of course.

So here it is I would like you opinion on which order the cache types so be ranked in order of effort/difficulty. Ok I know that in each type there are going to be some really easy and some really hard/evil. But when you think of the cache type name where would you rank them. For instance I think we can take it that most people would rate a traditional as lower than a multi when looking at difficulty.

So here they are (the ones I am looking at yes some are missing)

In order that they appear on your found page.

Traditional

Multi

Virtual

Letterbox

Event

Unknown

Webcam

Earthcache

Wherigo

Number them from 1 to 9, 1 being easiest 9 hardest.

Go to it.....

Ok so far people are looking but not saying anything, maybe the question is too confusing so I give one opinion and come back tomorrow night to see if any one else has ventured an opinion.

1 Virtual

2 Earthcache

3 Event

4 Traditional

5 Letterbox

6 Webcam

7 Multi

8 Unknown

9 Wherigo

Feel free to disagree.

I've done some virt's that were pretty darned hard.

And the webcam ones are a pain - you have to have someone who will sit and wait for you to show up then "grab" the image for you.

There are Earthcaches that are just walk-ups but the answers to the questions take some effort. (Of course, if you've cached with TotemClan at an Earthcache when he's wearing a kilt, that's a whole 'nother level of distraction!) :)

I've done some virt's that were pretty darned hard.

And the webcam ones are a pain - you have to have someone who will sit and wait for you to show up then "grab" the image for you.

There are Earthcaches that are just walk-ups but the answers to the questions take some effort. (Of course, if you've cached with TotemClan at an Earthcache when he's wearing a kilt, that's a whole 'nother level of distraction!) :)

You loved it and you know it! :):D

1 Traditional

2 Multi

3 Letterbox

4 Earthcache

5 Virtual

6 Event

7 Unknown

8 Wherigo

9 Webcam

Event at 6? Yes, I find it very difficult to make it to events. Plus you have to figure out what dish to bring. If you want the difficulty with the assumption that you're already going to attend, then of course it's a 1.

I put the ones that have some sort of "overhead" further down the list. That means virts and earthcaches are further down because of recording and emailing information, letterboxes and unknowns require the cache listing and possibly some figuring, and webcams I've never bothered with because of the extra hassle.

There really is no way to answer your poll because there are too many variables. It depends on individual hides. A well-hidden traditional micro on a busy downtown street corner rated at 4-stars would be extremely difficult, but one hidden under a lamp post skirt at a rural WallyWorld would be extremely easy. An ammo can at the end of a 15-mile hike with massive elevation changes would be very difficult. Some virtuals can be logged without leaving your computer, some require significant hikes and research.

I did a multi last night where I found the first stage within about 60 seconds of parking, and the second stage was only about 150-ft away. Both easy. Then there are multi's requiring driving dozens of miles and many many stages.

When you start looking at "Unknown" caches the range gets extreme. Do you have to answer trivia questions about Snoopy, or is it a cache with additional logging requirements (like where you must place an additional cache nearby before logging), or is a brain-bending puzzle requireing a degree in cryptology and finding multiple stages?

BUT, after re-reading your post, I'll give it a shot anyway:

1 Event

2 Virtual/Earthcache

4 Traditional

5 Letterbox (although current guidelines make these a trad with a stamp)

6 Unknown/Multi

8 Webcam (finding someone to take my picture can be a pain)

9 Wherigo (I've never done one, so I really have no idea)

Virtual/Earthcache and Unknown/Multi are ranked the same because there are way too many variables and they can go either way.

Edited by J-Way

1 Event

2 Virtuals

3 Traditional

4 Earthcache

5 Letterbox

6 Multi

7 Unknown

8 Webcam

9 Wherigo

out my way there's many events within a 100mile radius to choose from pretty much all the time. our viturals that are left are pretty easy. earthcaches as 4 cause they're my fav. and 4 is my lucky number. put Wherigo as last cause don't have the equip. to find any! same with webcams-really not too tech. to know how to get these ones completed.

Sorry. I tried to consider it, but it made my head spin. I can't for the life of me figure out how to apply the term "difficulty" to cache type.

Some events last all day and wear me out, some are an hour long (or 15 minutes--though I haven't attended one of those yet).

Some of each of the other kinds of caches can be found in five minutes, some can take days.

For instance, I've seen earthcaches where you had to do something akin to real geological work to claim the find, and I've seen puzzles I could solve by eyeballing them (and I'm no puzzle solver, trust me!)--on the other hand, I've seen puzzles where I didn't even know where to begin and earthcaches that would take all of 30 seconds.

I am curious about how you plan to use the info though, and I wish you much luck getting usable responses! I hope you'll explain (when you can).

Soccer was all rained out this morning so I have been able to get on line again quicker than expected.

Yes this is a difficult question.

It is like filling in a survey as to why you choose a particular shop, your given six options and have to number them 1 to 6, the 1 and the 6 might be easy but the ones in the middle don't really fit in to any particular order because they change each time you go shopping.

The cache is going to be one where you have to find one in each area of NZ, then rate yourself at the end with different points for different cache types.

So far from what people have said I have the list standing as this:

1 Event

2 Virtual

3 Earthcache

4 Traditional

5 Letterbox

6 Unknown

7 Multi

8 Webcam

9 Wherigo

Thanks for all your input so far, keep the ideas coming.

Hmm. Hard to say which ones are most difficult. Depends on the hide at the end, the puzzle or clues, but I'll give it a go:

1 Puzzle/Unknown (some puzzles are complicated)

2 Multi (takes longer, some stages can be confusing or difficult to find)

3 Webcam (difficult because you've got to get someone to capture your image)

4 Earthcache (there's more work to do to get the smiley then a traditional)

5 Virtual (got to collect the information to get the smiley)

6 Letterbox (if there are directions to follow could be difficult if unclear)

7 Traditional

8 Event

? Wherigo (I've never tried a Wherigo, so I can't say

hmmm, organizing types of cache by some type of "difficulty"?

1. Apple

2. Orange

3. Banana

4. Pineapple

5. Fig

6. Pomegranate

7. Kiwifruit

8. Grape

9. Guava

This list makes as much sense to me. You really can't make a comparison across types. Is a 4 difficulty mystery harder to find than a 4 difficulty traditional? shouldn't be

I was a little confused by this question. The type of cache has little to do with how hard it is to find it. Sure a multi requires you to find several stages so that in itself makes it harder. Using Clayjar's system, a multi cache should be rated a minimum of three. Mystery/Unknown require you to solve a puzzle or meet additional requirements beyond finding the caches, so that would also imply a higher difficulty rating

What is a more interesting quesition would be how difficult to hide each type of cache. Here's my take on this:

1. Traditional - simply hide a container with a log in a location that meets the guidelines. The biggest problem most people have is following the cache saturation guidelines. You need to place your cache no closer than .1 miles (161 meters) from any existing cache including puzzles and stages of multicaches. If you have not found all the puzzles and multis in the area you might have problems knowing if your cache will meet the saturation guidelines. Your reviewer will probably be willing to help you identify a location for your cache that will meet the guideline. You might also need to watch out for the commerical caches and the caches that solicit guidelines, though for traditional caches this is usually not a problem.

2. Unknown - in addtion to the issues you faced with a traditional, you will need to create a puzzle to solve to get the real coordinates for an unknown. Or alternatively you can have an additional logging requirement which would make a traditional cache into an unknown. There are additional guidelines for puzzles. These might cause you a problem if a reviewer thinks that your puzzle requires visiting a commercial website or downloading executable files. Some reviewers have also expressed a personal dislike for additional logging requirements. While they may still publish your cache you might get a note suggesting that you make the additional requirement voluntary.

2. Letterbox - a letterbox may be any other type of physical cache that has a letterbox stamp in it so that it can be found by letterboxers. Assuming a simple traditional cache with a stamp, this would be almost as easy to hide as a traditional. You just need to add the stamp. The reviewer might ask you to confirm there is a stamp before publishing your cache. Many letterbox hybrid also try to make letterbox style clues part of the cache hunt. In this case the cache is a multi or puzzle. If you use letterbox style clues, you may come up against the use of GPS guideline. You can use letterbox clues in your cache hunt but at least one stage will need to provide accurate GPS coordinates that can be used to hunt that stage.

3. Multi - the guidelines (including the saturation guidelines) apply to all physical stages of a multi cache. Within your own multicache - stages can be closer together that .1 miles. You will be asked to give the coordinates to your stages to the reviewer so that they can check it out. Sometimes it might be easier to place a multi than a series of traditionals due to the power trail clause in the guidelines.

4. Earthcache - Earthcaches have their own review process. A cache must meet special requirements be listed as an earthcache. The purpose of an earthcache is to educate the finder about geology. The cache page writeup and the logging requirements are reviewed to make sure they meet the education requirement. This is not as easy as it may seem. Because of the virtual nature of an earthcache, they are candidates for placement in US National Parks and other areas that do not allow physical caches. The Earthcache reviewer will not approve Earthcaches unless you show that you have obtained permission to place your earthcache.

5. Wherigo - placement of a Wherigo cache is probably the same a hiding a traditional cache. However the Wherigo cache must be found as part of playing a Wherigo cartridge. It is assumed that Wherigo caches will be hidden by people who are developing Wherigo cartridge. Developing a Wherigo cartridge requires special equipment and a certain degree of programming skills.

6. Events - Events are among the hardest cache to hide. First it takes a great deal of work and commitment to plan and carry out a successful geocaching event. Many events are placed by a group of geocachers. Events have different guidelines that they must follow to be approved. They need to be submitted no less than two weeks before the event and with the exception of mega-events will not be published more that three months before the date of the event. Events must be open to all geocachers and setup by geocachers. Events cannot be organized solely for the purpose of drawing together a group of cachers to hunt another cache or caches. Once you get your event planned, you may find that the commercial and solicitation guidelines come into play. You are limited as to what you can put on your cache page. Perhaps since the reviewers themselves could never tell what was allowed, you might be asked to contact Geocaching.com directly to get your event page approved if you feel a need to provide more information than just the name of the restaurant where the event will be held.

7. Webcams and Virtuals - These are the hardest to hide because - you can't hide them anymore. Webcams and virtuals are no longer published on Geocaching.com. I would point out that even when they were allowed, virtual caches, at least, were nearly impossible to get published. Virtual caches had to meet the "Wow" guideline. The reviewers were asked to determine if the location of the virtual was really worthy of having a cache there. If you think it was easy to convince a reviewer that some place was "Wow" enough, think again.

Hi

I would ask this over on the NZ forum but don't want any of them asking difficult questions I'm ready to answer yet over there. Just to say that it is for a cache, of course.

So here it is I would like you opinion on which order the cache types so be ranked in order of effort/difficulty. Ok I know that in each type there are going to be some really easy and some really hard/evil. But when you think of the cache type name where would you rank them. For instance I think we can take it that most people would rate a traditional as lower than a multi when looking at difficulty.

So here they are (the ones I am looking at yes some are missing)

In order that they appear on your found page.

Traditional

Multi

Virtual

Letterbox

Event

Unknown

Webcam

Earthcache

Wherigo

Number them from 1 to 9, 1 being easiest 9 hardest.

Go to it.....

1 Traditional

2 Event

3 Earthcache

4 Multi

5 Virtual

6 Letterbox

7 Unknown

8 Webcam

9 Wherigo

1. Unknown - These are the ones I am most interested in, and are the only ones I've placed so far.

2. Multi - I've only done a couple of these, but they were really fun (plus the kids loved 'em).

3. Traditional - I just have this thing about ammo cans.

The rest I am not really interested in (although I might try to make it to an event at some point).

I dunno about difficulty, but here's how I rate 'em by favorite type:

1 Unknown (puzzle caches are best!)

2 Traditional / Letterbox (Except micros and nanos...yuck!)

3 Event

4 Multi

5 Virtual / Earthcache (an "Earthcache" is just a geologically themed virtual)

? Webcam (I've never seen one)

? Wherigo (We don't have any in my state yet)

Hi everyone

Thanks for your help and opinions, my cache has been published.

I know its not as hard as some or the state ones over in the USA but hopefully it will allow people to put a different twist to the game. Get them exploring their own country.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...d4-b4846fd9e884

Now if only I could work out how to do a map with the different areas on it for my profile page.

Hi everyone

Thanks for your help and opinions, my cache has been published.

I know its not as hard as some or the state ones over in the USA but hopefully it will allow people to put a different twist to the game. Get them exploring their own country.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...d4-b4846fd9e884

Now if only I could work out how to do a map with the different areas on it for my profile page.

Good job. Looks like something that will draw a lot of interest.