Magellan Triton 500... Opinions

I am looking for a way to save the government by spending my stimulas check on a new GPS. I am tempted by an electric compass and the new Triton looks promising. It costs about $200. My first ( and current) GPS is a Magellan 315 so I am not 100% loyal to Magellan but I am sort of loyal to my "first" brand. Sort of like if you are born a Ford person you are always a Ford person. Thanks for opinions. RATZ

I am looking for a way to save the government by spending my stimulas check on a new GPS. I am tempted by an electric compass and the new Triton looks promising. It costs about $200. My first ( and current) GPS is a Magellan 315 so I am not 100% loyal to Magellan but I am sort of loyal to my "first" brand. Sort of like if you are born a Ford person you are always a Ford person. Thanks for opinions. RATZ

"Promising"?!?! . . . I guess that's one way to look at it.

LOOK-OUT, . . . don't step in the dog doo!

I am a long time Magellan user, from what I have read about the Tritons in the Yahoo Triton forums, I would not buy one. I recently had to replace a stolen Magellan Explorist 500, I bought a Magellan Explorist 500LE from Costco for $119.00.

I may be another Exlorist 500LE as a back up, I figure it will about 3 years before Magellan has a new hand held GPS on the market.

I will not buy a Garmin. Garmin does not have any Hand held units that I care for.

As far as and Electrionic compass. I own one GPS that has one, a Magellan Sport Track color. A magnetic compass is ok, but they are not really required and they will not make any easier to find a cache.

Magellan has always had a better electronic compass than Garmin, I really do not know why Garmin does not put a triaxial compass in there products

I have an Explorist 500 and bought a Triton 500 to replace it. The Triton sucked bad compared to the Explorists!

I have returned the Triton and replaced it with a Colorado 300. I really like the Colorado 300, but do prefer many of the features on the Explorists better. I like the file system on the Explorist, it is far superior I think to any file system on any other GPS unit.

I hated the way you have to add text and numerals on the Triton, it was cumbersome compared to the Explorists. This was important when adding or editing waypoints on the fly!

Buy a Triton and return it if it doesn't meet your standards. One reason why I like to buy my GPS units from Walmart; they are really great for doing returns.

Tee

I have an Explorist 500 and bought a Triton 500 to replace it. The Triton sucked bad compared to the Explorists!

I have returned the Triton and replaced it with a Colorado 300. I really like the Colorado 300, but do prefer many of the features on the Explorists better. I like the file system on the Explorist, it is far superior I think to any file system on any other GPS unit.

I hated the way you have to add text and numerals on the Triton, it was cumbersome compared to the Explorists. This was important when adding or editing waypoints on the fly!

Buy a Triton and return it if it doesn't meet your standards. One reason why I like to buy my GPS units from Walmart; they are really great for doing returns.

Tee

Of the 6 wallmarts that are in my area, non of them stock any GPS. WE have three REI stores, but only one has any selection and the REI prices are toooooo High